Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • choginosh
    • By choginosh 7th Jan 16, 8:39 AM
    • 12Posts
    • 0Thanks
    choginosh
    Advice needed for PRC inspection certificate
    • 7th Jan 16, 8:39 AM
    Advice needed for PRC inspection certificate 7th Jan 16 at 8:39 AM
    Good morning, Can someone please give me some advise. I am currently in the process of a right to buy, my house was a Woolaway type but was repaired in 1989. The mortgage company is saying they need a PRC inspection certificate otherwise they will not proceed. I have contacted the original company who over saw the work and they have told me certificates were only given to private homeowners in the street at the time. I have tried speaking to the council but they are not being very helpful. I have googled how to get a certificate and it seems quite costly. Should I be getting the house cheaper as there is no certificate and/or should the council be paying for a certificate as they are the seller?
    Any advise would be good thanks
Page 2
    • stator
    • By stator 7th Jan 16, 4:02 PM
    • 5,619 Posts
    • 3,578 Thanks
    stator
    I have just been told it's the mortgage valuers that need the certificate to put a value on it, not the lender as the valuation says they connot give a value??
    Originally posted by choginosh
    That's quite common. When acting for the bank if there is any serious defect they will refuse to value it.
    If you employed your own surveyor they would probably give you an idea.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • stator
    • By stator 7th Jan 16, 4:04 PM
    • 5,619 Posts
    • 3,578 Thanks
    stator
    Just to clarify to avoid any misunderstandings the house did not need to be "Knocked down". The first floor and roof would be propped whilst sections of the concrete panels were removed and re-built. You often see one side of a pair of semi's re-built in this way where you had a private owner next to a Council property.
    Originally posted by teneighty
    As I said, you either need proof it was knocked down or you need a PRC certificate.
    Anything could have happened to the house, but if you want a mortgage you will need the PRC certificate. They will only grant the PRC certificate if they can see that an approved method of repair was used.

So yes, you could spend £1000 for a PRC survey and find out that the house is unmortgageable. I'm afraid that's the situation everyone else is in when they buy a house. You just have to accept the possibility of losing money
    • choginosh
    • By choginosh 7th Jan 16, 4:10 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    choginosh
    The council are willing to provide proof that it was a licenced repair and the company that did the work are also will to write stating this but I have been told that is not sufficient, so looks like if I want to go ahead I have to pay for the certificate
    • teneighty
    • By teneighty 7th Jan 16, 5:58 PM
    • 969 Posts
    • 661 Thanks
    teneighty
    The council are willing to provide proof that it was a licenced repair and the company that did the work are also will to write stating this but I have been told that is not sufficient, so looks like if I want to go ahead I have to pay for the certificate
    Originally posted by choginosh
    That is crazy, why would you pay out a grand to be told something you already know and can prove for free. The valuer doesn't call the shots it is the lender, they set the lending criteria that the valuer works to. Surely it would be better to try a different lender if they wont see reason.
    • stator
    • By stator 7th Jan 16, 6:03 PM
    • 5,619 Posts
    • 3,578 Thanks
    stator
    Everyone who waas involved in doing the repair is bound to say they did a good job. The question is whether the exact method they used is approved by the people who lend money on houses, or not.
    • teneighty
    • By teneighty 7th Jan 16, 6:38 PM
    • 969 Posts
    • 661 Thanks
    teneighty
    Everyone who waas involved in doing the repair is bound to say they did a good job. The question is whether the exact method they used is approved by the people who lend money on houses, or not.
    Originally posted by stator
    But that is all the original certificate would have said if there was one. The certificates were issued by the firm that undertook the repair. They did not guarantee quality just that a licensed repair method was used, they are worthless. As I said before they were just a box ticking exercise to access government grants.

These retrospective certificates are just cashing in on ignorant valuers and poor lending criteria by mortgage companies. How could one of the firms you listed truly certify the repair unless significant areas were opened up for inspection by a structural engineer? The information available from the Council and the original contractor is just as valid and is free.
    • choginosh
    • By choginosh 8th Jan 16, 12:26 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    choginosh
    Thank you all for your help. I have passed on the information to my mortgage broker and will see what comes back
    • okwalker
    • By okwalker 19th Jun 17, 9:09 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    okwalker
    Hi, we are going through the exact same thing getting our mortgage and the valuer wants the PRC cert. Could you let me know how you got on or do you have any advice please
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,139Posts Today

9,111Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin