Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PrincessLou
    • By PrincessLou 4th Jan 16, 3:43 PM
    • 500Posts
    • 1,913Thanks
    PrincessLou
    A treehouse for the twins
    • 4th Jan 16, 3:43 PM
    A treehouse for the twins 4th Jan 16 at 3:43 PM
    I am so excited to write the first post of my mortgage-free diary! Some of you may have seen me around the MFW boards. I only post every now and then but reading the boards has become part of my daily routine and I am subscribed to many MFW diaries.
    I have wanted to start this journey even before we bought our first house over three years ago but never seemed to get going. The magic of the New Year must have given me the push I needed at last!

I am 31, married to DH, with two little boys (twins, hence the title!) who are 2 and a half. Having the boys has changed my life completely, they are my absolute world, and has bought into realisation just how much I want them to have a wonderful home in which to create adventures and mischief! Our current house was bought just over 3 years ago. It is in a nice area and we love it but it has sadly been outgrown and overtaken by toys (and now houses the entire population of Tidmouth Sheds…but that’s another story ).

We have no debts, so all money that isn’t spent is available to be used for overpayments or savings. DH has a good job and I am self-employed, although I have temporarily stopped working as the boys are a lot of work at the moment and by the end of the day I am worn out! I am hoping to pick up a couple of small projects here and there, before returning to work part time when the boys start nursery towards the end of the year.

The big plan:

Our mortgage, as of January 1st 2016, currently stands at: £116,468.73)

Our aim is to pay the current mortgage off within 5 years so we can move to a bigger house. We have a regular overpayment of £101 set up – this has been going for over a year now. My plan is to now start making one-off payments as and when extra monies become available through tidying accounts, ebaying (we have a garage full), extra work and other savings that come our way.

*** The reason for the title is that our current garden is more of a paved courtyard with a seating area and plants. Although we have enjoyed many a happy afternoon in it with the boys when they were small, we long for a big garden with room for a treehouse! ***
    Last edited by PrincessLou; 05-01-2016 at 11:25 AM.
Page 7
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 16th Apr 17, 7:40 AM
    • 2,372 Posts
    • 14,631 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Lovely to see you back PL xx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 10.9.17 - £122,780
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • PrincessLou
    • By PrincessLou 1st May 17, 9:26 PM
    • 500 Posts
    • 1,913 Thanks
    PrincessLou
    April Update
    Overpayments - £786.71

Total paid off in March = £786.71

Mortgage balance now - £109,213.29

Very pleased again this month as tomorrow's regular payment should see us dip into the £108ks
    Mortgage - £105,500
    • PrincessLou
    • By PrincessLou 2nd May 17, 10:39 AM
    • 500 Posts
    • 1,913 Thanks
    PrincessLou
    Goodbye 109k!
    Regular payment came out today, so £288.79 paid.

Which means.... Goodbye 109k....hello 108ks

Balance now stands at £108, 924.50

Mortgage - £105,500
    • PrincessLou
    • By PrincessLou 4th May 17, 9:37 AM
    • 500 Posts
    • 1,913 Thanks
    PrincessLou
    Tilly tidied one of the accounts and made a £10.03 OP. Also, made an Ebay sale, so another £10.42 OP'ed.

I have another £35 to OP from some FB sales but all of the bank branches have slowly closed down around here, meaning getting to a branch to pay it in is somewhat of a hassle. I have therefore kept this money safe in my drawer, where I will let it build up a bit before making the journey to the bank,
    Mortgage - £105,500
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 4th May 17, 1:21 PM
    • 2,372 Posts
    • 14,631 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Tilly tidied one of the accounts and made a £10.03 OP. Also, made an Ebay sale, so another £10.42 OP'ed.

I have another £35 to OP from some FB sales but all of the bank branches have slowly closed down around here, meaning getting to a branch to pay it in is somewhat of a hassle. I have therefore kept this money safe in my drawer, where I will let it build up a bit before making the journey to the bank,
    Originally posted by PrincessLou
    PL can you pay it in at your local post office? I don't know if all banks do it, but at our PO I can pay cash into my current account using just my debit card. HTH x
    MFW
    • PrincessLou
    • By PrincessLou 4th May 17, 2:05 PM
    • 500 Posts
    • 1,913 Thanks
    PrincessLou
    ATB, thanks so much for telling me. I've just looked on the post office website - I had no idea you could do this! Amazing
    Mortgage - £105,500
    • PrincessLou
    • By PrincessLou 30th May 17, 4:55 PM
    • 500 Posts
    • 1,913 Thanks
    PrincessLou
    May Update
    Overpayments - £2627.65

Total paid off in May = £2924.50

Mortgage balance now - £106,000

Very, very pleased again this month. The balance seems to be really tumbling as I get closer to the £100k mark.
    Last edited by PrincessLou; 30-05-2017 at 4:56 PM. Reason: Updated signature
    Mortgage - £105,500
    • PrincessLou
    • By PrincessLou 1st Jun 17, 4:20 PM
    • 500 Posts
    • 1,913 Thanks
    PrincessLou
    Goodbye £106k!
    Small Ebay sale of £10.41

Which means.... Goodbye 106k....hello 105ks

Balance now stands at £105,989.59

I feel really motivated when it comes to selling items at the moment - good job really as we have piles and piles to sell I have a few items listed but definitely want to get some more items listed next week after half-term.
    Mortgage - £105,500
    • PrincessLou
    • By PrincessLou 2nd Jun 17, 3:24 PM
    • 500 Posts
    • 1,913 Thanks
    PrincessLou
    No money in the OP pot
    I've just been reviewing our budget for this month and....it looks terrible Our credit card bill is huge and I have my car insurance to pay this month. It will be the first month in a couple of years where I have actually had to move money OUT of savings instead of IN to savings. I must look at the next few weeks and work out how we can make the following month as inexpensive as possible to make up for it. I really wanted to get our balance under £105k this month and this may scupper my chances.

Possible ways to lower our outgoings for this month include:

1. Making a freezer and cupboard inventory - then creating meals around what we already have in.
    2. I have £30 of Mr M points that I will request a voucher for to spend on any fresh food that we do need to buy.

Ways to make some money for OPs include:

1. Keep Ebaying, FB selling, etc, etc. I have started making lists of items to sell already.
    2. Contact CC company about a £60 refund I am still owed from a previous card that I cancelled.
    Mortgage - £105,500
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 3rd Jun 17, 8:43 AM
    • 2,372 Posts
    • 14,631 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Oh hun, we all have months like that. The key is to remain focussed on what you can do. If I were you I would:

1. Take a set amount of cash out of my purse for food for the month and once that's gone, it's gone. Use those vouchers up and get creative.

2. Set yourself a selling goal, e.g. 5 items per week, or to earn £20 per week etc.

Finally, I truly despise credit cards and can honestly say I felt liberated when we paid ours off and got rid of it altogether. One less bill to think about.

Just my two penneth worth, take or leave as appropriate xx
    MFW
    • PrincessLou
    • By PrincessLou 3rd Jun 17, 10:57 PM
    • 500 Posts
    • 1,913 Thanks
    PrincessLou
    Thanks, ATB, you are so right - I will definitely be focusing on what I can do this month to make things look a little brighter. My main target is the food shop - I've worked out that we have two weeks left before the next billing cycle in which I need to use up as much as we have in and any extra fresh bits need to come out of the £30 voucher. As soon as Monday rolls around and the boys are back at pre-school, making a food inventory will be first on my to-do list.

I totally agree, regarding credit cards, however this is one that is paid off in full each month and is used to collect Avios points for future flights/holidays. DH is very much into collecting these, and although I used to laugh at the lengths he would go to to acquire said points, it has proved rather fruitful. He now has thousands of points in which we can use for travel in the future. It works both ways - I am supportive of his collecting points and in return he is happy to go along with my overpaying plans.
    Mortgage - £105,500
    • PrincessLou
    • By PrincessLou 7th Jun 17, 4:22 PM
    • 500 Posts
    • 1,913 Thanks
    PrincessLou
    I have been tackling the freezer, fridge and cupboards this week so we can use up what we have instead of spending money on more food. The only food I have bought is being delivered tonight but I had enough vouchers to pay for this, so effectively a free shop.

Here is my meal plan for the rest of the week:

Tonight we are fairly busy so will be eating separately - Pasta from fridge for me, Chicken and bits from freezer for DH.

Tomorrow - Spaghetti Bolognese - made using up mince from freezer/

Friday - Cajun chicken and cous cous stuffed peppers

Saturday - Separate meals again - Lentil curry with rice for me, pasties out of freezer for DH.

Sunday - We're hopefully heading over to MIL & FILs for a barbecue

All breakfasts/ lunches/ snacks will be whatever we can find in freezer/fridge/cupboards. Naturally because I order and unpack all of the grocery shopping, I know where.all the good stuff is hiding
    Mortgage - £105,500
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 7th Jun 17, 5:12 PM
    • 2,372 Posts
    • 14,631 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Fabulous plan, well done you
    MFW
    • PrincessLou
    • By PrincessLou 9th Jun 17, 3:25 PM
    • 500 Posts
    • 1,913 Thanks
    PrincessLou
    Well payday came and went. I sat down and went through this month's budget and we have no money to overpay or save....well that spoilt my fun

I have got to work at lowering this month's expenses so we have more to overpay next month. I also need to keep plodding away at earning extra income via Ebay, FB, and so on. I made a small sale from Ebay a couple of days ago of £13, plus we got a £4.30 credit back from British Gas, all of which has been overpaid. I have put together a bag of items to list tomorrow afternoon when DH is taking the boys out, so hopefully this generates a bit more OP money.

I wish I could think of a (very) small business idea that I could do in my spare time. However, this area has an abundance of dog walking businesses and similar enterprises...I just don't know what I could do.
    Mortgage - £105,500
    • PrincessLou
    • By PrincessLou 9th Jul 17, 4:43 PM
    • 500 Posts
    • 1,913 Thanks
    PrincessLou
    Well I've been away for a week on holiday We stayed in the most lovely little cottage in a rural village - completely silent apart from the birds - heaven Fairly low spend too, only spent on petrol and one treat meal out. We spent our days visiting towns, national trust properties (free with our family pass), sitting in the lovely garden (with a treehouse I might add! ) whilst the boys ran around and played. It's just what we all needed and getting away from it all has refocused my mind on paying the mortgage off ASAP, so we can live that kind of lifestyle sooner rather than later.

We had only been back for a day and then I lost my voice I still can't find it anywhere and have been scaring myself reading horror stories on google of people's voices never returning I must say, DH has surprised me with how excellent he is at lip-reading and my made-up sign language.

DH has taken the boys out for the afternoon so I have had some time to look through the budget for this month. It doesn't look too bad actually (compared to last month anyway!) and by my calculations we will definitely be under 105k by the end of the month.

Hope everyone is having a lovely day in the sun
    Mortgage - £105,500
    • PrincessLou
    • By PrincessLou 16th Jul 17, 4:26 PM
    • 500 Posts
    • 1,913 Thanks
    PrincessLou
    A Rare Occurrence Indeed
    The house is quiet once more (a rare occurrence around here ) so I am back again for another update.

DH and I had a really good chat yesterday morning (another rare occurrence around here with two small boys ). He said that he would definitely consider moving to a different part of the UK in a few years, providing he could find a job. Don't get me wrong, I love where we live currently, and I wouldn't go back and change anything. However, it is very suburban and not where we have always dreamed of living and finding our forever home. If we pay off the majority of our mortgage in the next few years then we will be in a good place financially to look for something bigger and more rural. I feel really good about things now, like we finally have a plan in place. It has also provided even more motivation for overpaying

Whilst it is quiet I have got some bags of treasures out to Ebay Nothing of huge value today but all the small amounts definitely add up and make a difference. I have also sorted three huge bags of items for the charity shop, so very happy with progress indeed.

In OP news, I made a £73 payment to round the mortgage down to £105,500
    Mortgage - £105,500
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,766Posts Today

9,021Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Interesting well argued take on the Uber situation from a black cab driver... https://t.co/c1I5ta0jde

• Follow Martin