Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PrincessLou
    • By PrincessLou 4th Jan 16, 3:43 PM
    • 461Posts
    • 1,755Thanks
    PrincessLou
    A treehouse for the twins
    • 4th Jan 16, 3:43 PM
    A treehouse for the twins 4th Jan 16 at 3:43 PM
    I am so excited to write the first post of my mortgage-free diary! Some of you may have seen me around the MFW boards. I only post every now and then but reading the boards has become part of my daily routine and I am subscribed to many MFW diaries.
    I have wanted to start this journey even before we bought our first house over three years ago but never seemed to get going. The magic of the New Year must have given me the push I needed at last!

I am 31, married to DH, with two little boys (twins, hence the title!) who are 2 and a half. Having the boys has changed my life completely, they are my absolute world, and has bought into realisation just how much I want them to have a wonderful home in which to create adventures and mischief! Our current house was bought just over 3 years ago. It is in a nice area and we love it but it has sadly been outgrown and overtaken by toys (and now houses the entire population of Tidmouth Sheds…but that’s another story ).

We have no debts, so all money that isn’t spent is available to be used for overpayments or savings. DH has a good job and I am self-employed, although I have temporarily stopped working as the boys are a lot of work at the moment and by the end of the day I am worn out! I am hoping to pick up a couple of small projects here and there, before returning to work part time when the boys start nursery towards the end of the year.

The big plan:

Our mortgage, as of January 1st 2016, currently stands at: £116,468.73)

Our aim is to pay the current mortgage off within 5 years so we can move to a bigger house. We have a regular overpayment of £101 set up – this has been going for over a year now. My plan is to now start making one-off payments as and when extra monies become available through tidying accounts, ebaying (we have a garage full), extra work and other savings that come our way.

*** The reason for the title is that our current garden is more of a paved courtyard with a seating area and plants. Although we have enjoyed many a happy afternoon in it with the boys when they were small, we long for a big garden with room for a treehouse! ***
    Last edited by PrincessLou; 05-01-2016 at 11:25 AM.
Page 5
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 10th Oct 16, 5:31 PM
    • 1,611 Posts
    • 8,439 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    How are you all PL? x
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 3.11.16 - £139,251.40
    • PrincessLou
    • By PrincessLou 10th Oct 16, 8:39 PM
    • 461 Posts
    • 1,755 Thanks
    PrincessLou
    The trickster twin
    Sounds like a very productive day. I've listed my first items on eBay this weekend!
    Originally posted by claireee2008
    Yay! Be warned, it can be addictive! Have you started checking it every 5 minutes yet? Ok...maybe that's just me...

How are you all PL? x
    Originally posted by atypicalblonde
    Hi ATB, we are great thanks Although, DS1 put on the 'woe is me' act this morning, bursting into tears every two seconds and so I felt like a bad mummy sending him to pre-school. So his brother went without him, only for 9am to strike and suddenly he's perked up and acting like nothing ever happened. What a trickster....

On the MSE/MFW front - I have just withdrawn £116.76 from paypal to OP. That is from September Ebay sales. Very pleased and have listed more items today and hopefully tomorrow too.

My goal is still to be at £110,000 by December 31st, so approximately £3000 to go. Got to keep motivated as my goal for 2017 is to be in double digits.
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 11th Oct 16, 7:11 AM
    • 1,611 Posts
    • 8,439 Thanks
    atypicalblonde

My goal is still to be at £110,000 by December 31st, so approximately £3000 to go. Got to keep motivated as my goal for 2017 is to be in double digits.
    Originally posted by PrincessLou
    £37.50 per day then, easy peasy even if you can't make that in extra income each day, can you save it for example not going to the shops and making what is in your cupboards streeetch? I am here cheering you on love xx
    MFW
    • PrincessLou
    • By PrincessLou 12th Oct 16, 9:54 AM
    • 461 Posts
    • 1,755 Thanks
    PrincessLou
    £37.50 per day!
    £37.50 per day When you put it like that it got my head whirring....and made me worry that I don't have a clue where that's going to come from.

About £750 of the £3000 will be standard mortgage payments.

I've been averaging about £100 per month on Ebay, so over the next three months I could probably push it to £500 over three months.

That leaves approximately £1750 to find. Hmmm.....must get thinking some more.
    • PrincessLou
    • By PrincessLou 13th Oct 16, 10:16 AM
    • 461 Posts
    • 1,755 Thanks
    PrincessLou
    Sold two items on Ebay yesterday....I find Ebay sales are a bit like buses - all is oh so quiet and then they all come at once. Should've made around £15 but DH went and bought a special electrical socket and used half of the OP money. Anyhow, £6.36 OP sent this morning (probably the smallest OP I've made).

Took boys to pre-school, tidied up and hung washing to dry on drying rack. I need to do some more decluttering this morning and wrap the two Ebay items I sold, ready to post later.

I'm going to add my mortgage balance to a signature so I can easily see what's what and keep track of everything.
    • PrincessLou
    • By PrincessLou 13th Oct 16, 10:45 AM
    • 461 Posts
    • 1,755 Thanks
    PrincessLou
    Signature added
    Mortgage - £112,900
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 13th Oct 16, 11:07 AM
    • 1,611 Posts
    • 8,439 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Sorry lovely I didnt mean to worry you, quite the opposite You absolutely can get to £110k by Christmas, I'm sure of it. Ok, how much do you normally spend on groceries? Can you shop from your cupboards and freezer this week to reduce spends to say £30 for the week and OP the difference?

We have had some very creative meals recently whilst I've been on freezer use up - Arctic roll anyone?! x
    MFW
    • Watty1
    • By Watty1 16th Oct 16, 10:03 AM
    • 2,486 Posts
    • 17,584 Thanks
    Watty1
    Another creative user upper this month. Although Mr Watty refused to eat the fish yesterday evening saying it had been in the freezer so long it was not edible. I think that might have been the way I cooked it really
    Mortgage at start of diary Sept 2013: £132,995 Aug 2015 £0
    Overpaying next mortgage. £79,491 now £68801
    • PrincessLou
    • By PrincessLou 16th Oct 16, 9:52 PM
    • 461 Posts
    • 1,755 Thanks
    PrincessLou
    I definitely would like to use the freezer and cupboard food up. I have been known to make DH eat icecream for breakfast once . My main issue is that 80% of the items in my freezer are meat and I worry that they've been in there so long that they aren't edible anymore I have lots of packs of yellow sticker sausages bought very cheaply and frozen but aren't sure if they're still ok to eat. Any ideas?
    Mortgage - £112,900
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 17th Oct 16, 7:18 AM
    • 1,611 Posts
    • 8,439 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Defrost and sniff, I would say If they look alright and smell fine, they generally are x
    MFW
    • PrincessLou
    • By PrincessLou 17th Oct 16, 9:11 PM
    • 461 Posts
    • 1,755 Thanks
    PrincessLou
    The kid speaks Francais
    Busy weekend staying with my parents and then home today with PIL popping round this afternoon with a meal bought and cooked by MIL. Lovely and relaxing for me and the boys love it too. DS2 is quite the showman when his grandparents come to visit and can now, after two 'lessons' with MIL, speak Francais (well, just a little ). Can count to 10 in French, and knows hat, flower, truck, socks, dog. All very useful of course....

I suppose, in my head, his conversational French would be a bit like this -

Excuse-moi monsieur. Have you seen my hat? The one with the flower on. Your dog ate my socks and if you don't give me them back before I count to ten...un, deux,trois, quatre, cinq, six, sept, huit, neuf, dix.... then I will squash your baguette with my truck!

Waiting until Thursday to have my big monthly shop delivered. Need to finalise the online order but first want to make an inventory of the cupboards and freezer so I don't spend more than I need to.

Next Friday is payday and I'm expecting to have some money leftover to OP. I'm desperate to tidy the accounts right now but I need to wait until I have final figures. Need to stop wishing life away for the sake of making an OP.
    Mortgage - £112,900
    • claireee2008
    • By claireee2008 18th Oct 16, 5:58 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    claireee2008
    Love your French conversation! My preschooler is learning Spanish. She seems to love it but so far all she says to me is what sounds like "hola diago". I know very little Spanish so I know Hole is hello but I have no idea what she is saying with the second word!

I did an inventory of my garage chest freezer but then lost the note book I've wrote it in! I'm working on using some of it up too. We've only had it about 6 months. I think I had 5 lots of salmon fillets in there!
    Mortgage as of Feb 2015 - £153000 (30 years left on term). Aiming to be morgage free in 20 years or less.
    • PrincessLou
    • By PrincessLou 20th Oct 16, 1:52 PM
    • 461 Posts
    • 1,755 Thanks
    PrincessLou
    Just couldn't wait...
    Made an OP of £34.53. Was going to wait until payday next week to make a bigger OP but just couldn't wait any longer, so rounded down accounts.

Quiet day today - currently sat cuddling with my two favourite boys

Large monthly grocery delivery coming tonight from Mr M. Although did notice that DH has added £30 of beer to the shop by 'accident' That will have to last him a veerrry long time
    Mortgage - £112,900
    • PrincessLou
    • By PrincessLou 20th Oct 16, 8:35 PM
    • 461 Posts
    • 1,755 Thanks
    PrincessLou
    I can tell the time....promise!
    Doh! The food delivery from Mr M that I thought was coming tonight actually came this morning. I thought I booked for 10-11pm but they came at 10-11am and I was out.
    Got a stern warning on the phone call afterwards that they will let me off this once but if it happens again then we will have to pay for all perishable items returned. Embarrassed doesn't even come close...

Anyway, that means I have to stretch whatever we have left in freezer and cupboards until Saturday morning. I have worked out some possible meals in my head, so hope we will make it through without having to pop to the shop.
    Mortgage - £112,900
    • Watty1
    • By Watty1 21st Oct 16, 10:20 AM
    • 2,486 Posts
    • 17,584 Thanks
    Watty1
    Ohhh that happened with Mr O on a delivery and they were a lot nicer and left the whole lot where I asked with a polite comment that it was at my risk. Obviously having one's shopping piled up by the front door is not ideal but it was better than the alternatives and no human or animal pilfered anything
    Mortgage at start of diary Sept 2013: £132,995 Aug 2015 £0
    Overpaying next mortgage. £79,491 now £68801
    • PrincessLou
    • By PrincessLou 21st Oct 16, 8:42 PM
    • 461 Posts
    • 1,755 Thanks
    PrincessLou
    Thanks Watty, at least I'm not the only one to have done this - I feel a little less silly now.

It's being redelivered tomorrow but I had to change a lot of my order as Mr M had charged me full price for items that were previously on offer or yellow sticker items. I suppose it was my fault though...
    Mortgage - £112,900
    • PrincessLou
    • By PrincessLou 24th Oct 16, 1:52 PM
    • 461 Posts
    • 1,755 Thanks
    PrincessLou
    A day at the farm
    Had the most wonderful day at a farm park yesterday with DH and the children. The boys had been given a family pass to said farm park as a gift last Christmas by Sister-in-law and took a packed lunch so it was a NSD. So much to see and do for the boys including a tractor ride to pick out a pumpkin each, which they are now desperate to carve a face into.

Small £8.48 OP made from an Ebay sale. Looking forward to payday on Friday so I can tidy up accounts!
    Mortgage - £112,900
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 24th Oct 16, 2:28 PM
    • 1,611 Posts
    • 8,439 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Hi PL, is it half term for you guys now? I'll bet you can't wait for Friday still on track for £110k by the big ho ho ho? x
    MFW
    • PrincessLou
    • By PrincessLou 24th Oct 16, 2:45 PM
    • 461 Posts
    • 1,755 Thanks
    PrincessLou
    Hi ATB, yes, it's half term here this week Trying to plan an activity out everyday but keeping spends to a minimum - so plenty of parks, country walks and visiting grandparents, etc.

Worked out that we should be into the 112ks by the 1st of November. Still on track for 110k by the end of the year as long as Christmas spends stay in budget. Looking forward to tidying accounts on Friday - if only I enjoyed tidying the house as much as I do accounts.
    Mortgage - £112,900
    • debtfreeoneday
    • By debtfreeoneday 26th Oct 16, 6:36 AM
    • 2,380 Posts
    • 7,885 Thanks
    debtfreeoneday
    Your title caught my eye as I've a pair of twins as well.. Will subscribe to keep track of you - well done on progress and all your fleabay sales - you're doing so well!
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53
    CC1 - £1111.99 ~~~ CC2 - £975.00
    MFW (01/15) £118,031.21 £102,178.42
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,764Posts Today

6,413Users online

Martin's Twitter