Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • craftingmad
    • By craftingmad 2nd Jan 16, 3:53 PM
    • 1,445Posts
    • 5,647Thanks
    craftingmad
    2016 - A year of 16 Challenges
    • 2nd Jan 16, 3:53 PM
    2016 - A year of 16 Challenges 2nd Jan 16 at 3:53 PM
    Hi all,

I have decided that 2016 is going to be the year I become seriously focused and have therefore decided to undertake 16 different challenges which will hopefully improve my financial situation and wellbeing.

Some I have found on MSE and others I have come up with of my own back.

So here goes. I have chosen the following challenges for this year:-

1. No Craft Spending. I have a mountain of stash in my house so have vowed not to spend any money on crafting goodies for the whole year (apart from essentials such as adhesives, photo printing etc which will allow me to complete projects). I aim to make at least 2016 items from my existing stash this year

You can follow my progress (and join me on my mission should you so wish) here:-
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5386359

2. Declutter 2016 items from my home in 2016

You can track my progress here:-
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5385570

3. Make £2016 in 2016. I am aiming to do this with de-cluttering sales, craft fairs, surveys (in fact anyway I can raise some extra cash)

4. Lose weight and get fitter. This will involve exercising regularly and eating at least 5 portions of fruit and veg everyday

5. Sealed Pot Challenge. At the end of each week I shall empty all of my loose change into a sealed pot and not open until the end of the year

6. NSD Challenge - I am going to aim for at least 10 no spend days each month. You can track my progress here:-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5384578

7. £200 Amazon Pot - Get £200 in Amazon vouchers by Christmas this year. I am hoping to gain these using Swagbucks, GiftHulk and Superpoints and any other ways I come across.

8. Sell my craft items via 16 different outlets. As well as the usual craft fairs, facebook and supermums outlets I hope to be able to sell in local shops, other online outlets and any other way I can think of.

9. Store Cupboard Challenge - Use only store cupboard items for at least one meal every week for the next year.

10. Try a new meal each month for the next year

11. Fly lady challenge. This year will be the year I get a clean and tidy house

Thread found here:-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5384172

12. Handmade Christmas - if it can be made then I shall make it and not buy it. This includes presents for people, decorations, food (if it works out cheaper) etc. I am determined that at the very least everyone will get at least one handmade gift.

13. Save / pay off £16k in 2016. As the target is so huge I am going to include any payments I would usually make towards my mortgages etc but hopefully it will also inspire me to try and add lots of money to our savings pot to be used when necessary

14. Project Life - I WILL scrapbook in the pocket style every week of this year and aim to take at least one photo a day

15. Spend quality time with my kids. All to often I am always busy doing nothing so I vow that at least once every week I will sit down for a whole few hours and just enjoy their company.

16. Phone my parents at least once every week. Life often take over and sometimes I tell myself I just don't have the time to speak to them but this year that will change

So there we are. 16 challenges in 2016.

Let's see how I get on

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Zorica; 26-01-2016 at 5:21 PM.
    Mortgage - £125k £53k OP Made 2010 £29320 OP 2011 £4200
    BTL Mortgage £81K BTL Mortgage £82
    No Craft Spending 53/365 Stash Busting Challenge 2016 127/2016
    Declutter Challenge 376/2016
    1% club member 17 - 100% reached 3 times £10k New Target £496.00
    /£1250 = 39%
    £2015 in 2015 - £692.47/£2015
Page 12
    • craftingmad
    • By craftingmad 2nd Sep 16, 8:51 AM
    • 1,445 Posts
    • 5,647 Thanks
    craftingmad
    Hi everyone who is left - I'm so sorry life just seems to keep getting in the way Well done rdone for posting. Big gold star for you
    I have been keeping up with the challenges though I promise but not found the time to write things down

I will update the totals with the missing months as soon as I have worked them out but in the meantime thought I would post my efforts from yesterday (1st Sept) to get back on track:-

1. Stash Busting - 153/365 days of no spending Tempted to spend yesterday but resisted
    Items made 416/2016 No new items made

2. Decluttering 911/2016
    Decluttering sales Me 303 - £606 Dan - 8 - £14 Tash - 1 - £8
    Old watch box thrown away which seems like it had been cluttering up my mantelpiece for a good few months

3. Make £2016 - £1082.04/£2016
    No new earning s yesterday

4. Starting weight 12st 4lb - Weight Now - 12st 0lb
    Just got back from an all inclusive two week holiday so hate to think! Did have a banana as a snack and 3 different vegetables with my dinner though

5. Sealed pot challenge - money started to be added No new money added
    No new money added

6. NSD - 77/120
    NSD yesterday

7. Amazon Pot - £129.76/£200 (£29.76 left over from last year)
    No new progress

8. 16 outlets - 5/16
    Got my very first Etsy sale yesterday

9. Store Cupboard Challenge 42/52
    No new progress

10. New meals 4/12 - tuna fishcakes, savoury bread and butter pudding & savoury pancakes No

11. Flylady Challenge 134/352
    Washing and hovering done yesterday

12. Handmade Christmas 1/50 No new progress
    No new progress

13. Save/pay off 16k - £7047.51/£16k
    £427.36 transferred into savings yesterday from bank account rewards, interest, money previously earned and not transferred and a PPI refund

14. Project Life 3/13
    No new progress

15. Quality Time 30/52
    Sadly not yesterday was a day of washing the mountain of dirty clothes from holiday and catching up on paperwork

16. Phoning Parents - 21/52
    No time sadly
    Mortgage - £125k £53k OP Made 2010 £29320 OP 2011 £4200
    BTL Mortgage £81K BTL Mortgage £82
    No Craft Spending 53/365 Stash Busting Challenge 2016 127/2016
    Declutter Challenge 376/2016
    1% club member 17 - 100% reached 3 times £10k New Target £496.00
    /£1250 = 39%
    £2015 in 2015 - £692.47/£2015
    • rdone
    • By rdone 5th Sep 16, 2:24 PM
    • 408 Posts
    • 1,863 Thanks
    rdone
    Nice to hear you've been keeping up with the challenge and good to hear from you. I hope you enjoyed your holiday!

1. Declutter 2016 items
    Not much has happened since I last posted - we really need to sort the house out though, it's awful

2. Read 16 Books
    Have started Catch 22 but I'm not that keen on it at the moment, I don't have anything else in the house either so I am going to have to stick with it!
    13/16

3. Make 3 homemade meals a week
    New week but successfully completed last week
    0/3

4. 16 no spend days a month - Changing to 16 no buying anything unnecessary.
    Bought lunch today as I couldn't be bothered to make anything before I left the house this morning
    0/16

5. Exercise 4 times a week (I have signed up to a triathlon in June so this is a must!) The triathlon is for my Duke of Edinburgh diamond challenge and a month before the wedding. Have been having back trouble but need to slowly get back into it!
    Ran twice last week and going to go for another as soon as I get home this evening
    0/4

6. I currently do the VSPC in which I do a daily, weekly and monthly challenge. Daily is on the 1st Jan put £3.66, 2nd £3.65 etc until the 31st Dec is 1p. Have done it opposite to most people as I felt I'd be more enthusiastic in the beginning and also get more interest! Weekly is rounding my bank account to the nearest £10 at the end of every Sunday and monthly is rounding my salary to the nearest £100.
    Still haven't done this as HSBC are being weird

7. Clean/tidy for 16 minutes per day
    Nothing yesterday, was to hung over from a friends wedding on Saturday!

8. Do at least 3 pages of my Travel scrapbook per month.

11/36

9. Bring a packed lunch at least 11 times this month.
    Back to full time now and failed on the first day!
    0/11

10. No buying any unnecessary toiletries and using the stash first

11. When doing craft use up stash in house first, only exception is wedding craft! I have a huge cupboard full of things but always seem to buy new when I want to make something. Allowing the wedding to be an exception as some things I've never had before.

12. Two meals a week to be shopped for in the kitchen cupboards
    New week
    0/2

13. Do 16 random acts of kindness that cost nothing

9/16

14. 16 days out with family/friends that doesn't include holidays
    Went to a lovely wedding on Saturday
    22/16

15. 16 days out with H2B that doesn't include holiday
    After the wedding we had a lovely day out yesterday, I'm looking at buying a road bike so we went on a hunt!
    15/16

16. Visit elderly relatives twice a month IN THEIR HOME. I often time a visit to my parents house when I know they'll be there.

0/4 (I have two to visit)
    • rdone
    • By rdone 20th Sep 16, 9:23 AM
    • 408 Posts
    • 1,863 Thanks
    rdone
    1. Declutter 2016 items
    Had a massive clear out of the kitchen on the weekend, it's now looking rather empty which is brilliant! I am not a fan of clutter and stuff.

2. Read 16 Books
    Ditched Catch 22 and picked up another book, it's good but I just don't have a huge amount of time at the moment
    13/16

New week but failed last night
    0/3

Bought lunch today as I couldn't be bothered to make anything before I left the house this morning
    0/16

5. Exercise 4 times a week (I have signed up to a triathlon in June so this is a must!) The triathlon is for my Duke of Edinburgh diamond challenge and a month before the wedding. Have been having back trouble but need to slowly get back into it!
    Nothing so far this week but I did complete my first 10k on Sunday which was super exciting. Just need to double the distance now for the half marathon in less than 2 weeks time
    0/4

6. I currently do the VSPC in which I do a daily, weekly and monthly challenge. Daily is on the 1st Jan put £3.66, 2nd £3.65 etc until the 31st Dec is 1p. Have done it opposite to most people as I felt I'd be more enthusiastic in the beginning and also get more interest! Weekly is rounding my bank account to the nearest £10 at the end of every Sunday and monthly is rounding my salary to the nearest £100.

Yep, been trying to keep on top of it but have realised my husband likes to leave things out.

11/36

Back to full time now and failed on the first day!
    0/11

11. When doing craft use up stash in house first, only exception is wedding craft! I have a huge cupboard full of things but always seem to buy new when I want to make something. Allowing the wedding to be an exception as some things I've never had before.

New week
    0/2

9/16

Had a great day on Sunday
    23/16

Lovely relaxing day on Saturday with nothing particular planned
    16/16

16. Visit elderly relatives twice a month IN THEIR HOME. I often time a visit to my parents house when I know they'll be there.

• rdone
    • By rdone 26th Sep 16, 8:55 AM
    • 408 Posts
    • 1,863 Thanks
    rdone
    1. Declutter 2016 items

2. Read 16 Books
    Book 14 finished and 15 started. I think I'm going to have to invest in a kindle for our honeymoon as I'm not going to have enough room in my suitcase for all the books!
    14/16

New week
    0/3

So far, so good!
    0/16

Half marathon on Saturday...
    0/4

11/36

Fail!
    0/11

New week
    0/2

9/16

23/16

16/16

Will be visiting one tonight!
    1/4 (I have two to visit)
    • rdone
    • By rdone 4th Oct 16, 9:55 AM
    • 408 Posts
    • 1,863 Thanks
    rdone
    1. Declutter 2016 items
    This is going well, really starting to empty my house which is great!

2. Read 16 Books

14/16

New week
    0/3

So far, so good!
    0/16

Half Marathon completed last Sunday. Managed to run the whole thing but my ankle is the size of a house now (broke it 5 years ago), think I'll give swimming a try this evening
    0/4

11/36

Fail!
    0/11

New week
    0/2

9/16

25/16

18/16

New month!
    • rdone
    • By rdone 11th Oct 16, 12:21 PM
    • 408 Posts
    • 1,863 Thanks
    rdone
    1. Declutter 2016 items
    Loads more went over the weekend and someone is coming to pick up a few more bits this evening

2. Read 16 Books
    Going well with number 15. I've also asked for a kindle for Christmas as we're going away for 3 weeks and didn't think I'd have enough room in my suitcase otherwise.
    14/16

Out with the bestie last night as she's about to become a mummy, the husband ate in though.
    0/3

No idea where I am with this!
    0/16

Haven't done much since the half marathon, been struggling with my ankle, really feeling the need to get back on it though
    0/4

11/36

I'm getting good at this again!
    3/11

New week
    0/2

9/16

28/16

18/16

New month!
    • rdone
    • By rdone 25th Oct 16, 1:01 PM
    • 408 Posts
    • 1,863 Thanks
    rdone
    1. Declutter 2016 items
    Still more leaving the house, it will once again be clutter free!!

2. Read 16 Books
    Another two finished which has taken me up to the total for the year! I've enjoyed having this number set as it's encouraged me to go to bed a little earlier each night to be able to read which I find much more relaxing than TV or the like
    16/16

Was my mum's birthday yesterday so ate out with her and the family
    0/3

Really need to sort myself out on this front!!
    0/16

Life has taken over and I really need to get training to take back over
    0/4

11/36

FAIL
    3/11

New week
    0/2

11/16

29/16

20/16

3/4 (I have two to visit)
    • rdone
    • By rdone 18th Nov 16, 10:37 AM
    • 408 Posts
    • 1,863 Thanks
    rdone
    1. Declutter 2016 items
    Still more leaving the house, it will once again be clutter free!!

2. Read 16 Books
    And another one, possibly two but I can't remember if I'd added it already
    17/16

Been a very good week this week
    1/3

Really need to sort myself out on this front!!
    0/16

Back problems
    0/4

11/36

I've done really well this week but no idea how many overall
    3/11

Yep, yep, yep
    3/2

12/16

29/16

22/16

3/4 (I have two to visit)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

399Posts Today

2,507Users online

Martin's Twitter