Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 1st Jan 16, 10:31 PM
    • 1,898Posts
    • 12,547Thanks
    misstara
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2016
    • 1st Jan 16, 10:31 PM
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2016 1st Jan 16 at 10:31 PM
    Following on from Cheerfulness' 2015 thread, it's time to start a 2016 one. The thread last year gave me so much inspiration and the lovely people on there were always at the ready to give advice and tips so I'm looking forward to another year of making do, mending and minimising. Hope to see some familiar faces here and new folk always welcome

The 2015 thread can be found here

Recipes
    Pineapple cake
    Scones
    Naan bread
    Chickpea curry
    Crustless quiche
    Flatbreads
    Onion bhajis
    Meri's Seafood Cakes
    Corned beef hash pie
    Peanut butter cookies
    Last edited by misstara; 26-04-2016 at 10:39 PM.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £487.50 (95.3% paid)
    New flat debt Nov 2016 £1252.44
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - 2/12. Groceries target £4.05/£135. NSD target 2/15.
Page 99
    • savingpennies
    • By savingpennies 10th Oct 16, 4:32 PM
    • 597 Posts
    • 3,711 Thanks
    savingpennies
    Hi All,
    Thank you Lynplatinum for the tip about taps and washers. I'll have a look tomorrow to see I can do anything before I call anyone out.
    I've been away with the family (mum, OH, DDs and youngest's boyfriend) for a week to Center Parcs. We go once a year and really enjoy it. We MMM whilst we are there. Mum brought a big hotpot, DD2 and her boyfriend (an Italian chef) brought a lasagne, ragu for bolognaise and then made a lovely cream and pepper pasta later in the week. I take the slow cooker and made chilli one night and chicken casserole another. I also took lots of tinned fish, cheese and fruit, if anyone felt peckish during the day plus stuff for breakfast.
    We save all our loose change and £2 coins to pay for activities and try to keep it cheap as much as possible - swimming, badminton, squash, walking, crazy golf, etc.
    Make do: Now back home, OH suggested he went out to get fish and chips for tea - I stopped him and got some cottage pies I had made out of the freezer, which are defrosting as I speak and I've frozen broccoli and sprouts to serve with them.
    Minimising: I'm starting on knitting some hot water bottle covers tonight as I 'minimise' all my favourite TV programmes recorded whilst I've been away.
    Mending: I've a bit of sewing to do - repairing a seam in a jacket pocket, lining a knitted hat I made with some fleece to make it warmer (the wind seemed to whistle through it) and stitching some buttons back on DD1's coat.
    Books - the original virtual reality.

£2 Savers Club No. 206 £262/£300
    SPC No. 420 £279.96
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 10th Oct 16, 10:58 PM
    • 799 Posts
    • 15,772 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Free Activity!
    Hiya All

Wow Jackie - what a great incentive to keep on minimising the weight - you have done so well already I am sure you can keep going! What a nice thing to look forward to!

Today spent over at a friend's - i took my other friend's doggie that I am dog sitting over with me and we had a fantastic long walkies along the beach. My friend cooked a large roast and so have come home to the house I am house sitting with another 2 days worth of food - bless em. So that will be a saving for me!! So a free day out; free exercise; free laughs watching the lovely little dog gamboling in the waves and chasing sticks; free food; free heating!! Wow!

So minimising - both me and rubbish stuff on laptop as have had time to de gunk it!
    Make do - my friend whom I am house sitting far apologised for have a low stock of food! Still made my self lunch - boiled egg; lettuce (growing out side in a trough); tomatoes and cucmber (bought from my place); ryvita. Evening meal - jacket potatoes and cheese and pickle and some brocoli steamed! She did ask me to eat up any fresh veg etc BTW.
    Mend - nowt!

Will go shopping tomorrow for some fresh veg to go with the beef........ hang on a mo ........ there is a butternut squash and some peas in the freezer and still some baby potatoes to go plus eggs that she asked me to finish - and flour - think American pancakes are calling for breakfast veg problem solved and have fruit I bought with me + another egg salad for lunch!!! Maybe I wont have to go shopping just yet !!

Hummm we'll see!
    Nite all!
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)

LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • mrsleh
    • By mrsleh 11th Oct 16, 9:50 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    mrsleh
    Where did yesterday go? It was rather busy!

Make do - tea was pasta from the freezer (homemade ready meals!)
    Mend - I replaced a battery in the living room wall clock, does that count? I was busy crocheting a mermaid tail for a friend so no free time (she asked me to make one yesterday and needs it for tomorrow to post off as a gift!)
    Minimise - I listed a load of stuff on local Facebook pages to sell and have interest in a couple of things

Today I would love to say it would be less hectic but I'm working until 4 then my eldest has band practice tonight so I'll be taxiing. Nothing left in my mending pile of clothes as I got those done last Friday, I need to glue some fabric back in place on my bedside lampshade. Hopefully I'll remember to do that!
    Light bulb moment Feb 2014! Total debt then £17,497.64
    Current debt £8121.16.
    Expected debt free date Aug 2030 with current plan but I will beat that date, I had to adjust it due to a drop in wages
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 11th Oct 16, 11:43 AM
    • 14,863 Posts
    • 189,795 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Morning mmmers
    Hope everyone is as well as can be.
    I've spent most of the morning round mils, her heatings not working, rang boiler company and they talked me though various things, topping up boiler, bleeding rads, resyncing thermostat with boiler, and rebooting boiler. I was impressed with myself but made mil as nervous as heck! Nothing seemed to work so going to send someone out in the week to look at it for her. Hopefully they can fix it. After work I plan on reading the fences to some wood stain, Dh helped me put plastic unr the panels last night so I don't drip on the concrete bases. He's on a course today so won't be back till late. I'm hoping to get it all done as it will be a job off the half term list if I can.
    Meals today will be make do and tonight I'll knit or read.
    Last edited by mrs-moneypenny; 19-10-2016 at 8:35 AM.
    grocery challenge November budget £400 spent £231.76
    SPC~10 No100 : : X2
    read your books challenge-currently on It started with a kiss
    xstitch challenge 63 'mittens' lyric cushion
    16 in 2016 challenge 12/16 stockings
    2016 wooligan stuff - 86 assorted hats, 9,beadbags 10,hedgehogs
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Oct 16, 2:50 PM
    • 13,926 Posts
    • 108,638 Thanks
    JackieO
    Made do with some porridge from the container in the kitchen instead of using up the eggs for breakfast (they will be used in my baking )
    It was really nice to have a bowl of filling warming porridge as well,another sign of colder mornings I make mine the way my little Scots Mum taught me to with water and a sprinkle of salt and a bit of milk round the outside once dished up

Mending : well not so much mending as a bit more knitting,I did another square for my charity blanket.I knit for The Linus Trust and try to do around 3-4 squares a day if I can

Minimising : hopefully my waistline with the filling porridge
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.

December budget £60.00 5/6 NSD so far.Spent £9.90 this morning, £50.10 left
    • Happy One
    • By Happy One 11th Oct 16, 3:48 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Happy One
    Made do with some left over bread for toast,we never start a new loaf till all the old one has gone. Minimised,my weight I hope, by going out for a three mile walk with the walking group,did'nt cost me a penny either
    Mended the pocket in my OHs jacket,his loose change won't fall into the lining now
    Got some reduced very nice fresh cod fillets from the supermarket so that's our evening meal sorted.Will spend the evening knitting so I will have something to take to knit and natter group tomorrow,can't take my main project but love to make little hats for the prem babies at our local neonatal unit,easy to natter while knitting these!
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 11th Oct 16, 11:38 PM
    • 799 Posts
    • 15,772 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Determined to loose this weight!
    Evening all friends,

So am viewing being at my friend's as being on holiday!! But since it is in a village in the middle of nowhere it is good as there is only the local shop to buy stuff in (which is good but a bit pricy).

My other friend I went to visit yesterday gave me several slices of roast beef left over from yesterday! Bless him! So went to Asd! this morning to buy veg to go with it. (feel it would be very cheeky to eat all of my friend's veg up. So tried those frozen 'pouches' of veg. very nice actually but expensive (but dont want to buy loads and over stuff her freezer). Have also bought some soups for lunch along with some rye low cal crackers. Am going from the sublime to the ridiculous - have got their middle range tinned, their top of the range tinned and one chilled one - well it was spiced butternut squash!

Am hoping this healthy shop will minimise me!! (no cake shops/bakeries/ supermarkets fresh baking/ice cream parlour within walking distance to tempt me!)

So: Make do - left over gifted beef!!! Also blanket on lap to save friend's heating bills and the planet!
    Minimising - effort needed to prep food as a holiday treat but also minimising me as it is almost instant and yet healthy!
    Mend - nowt as am not home!
    Hope all had a good day
    Nite all

Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • mrsleh
    • By mrsleh 12th Oct 16, 9:49 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    mrsleh
    Today is another day! I never did glue that lampshade and it won't happen tonight as we won't be in until 7 (parent's evening then manning the book fair at school after work) then a friend is popping round at 8 so it'll be hectic!

I did, sensibly, cook tea last night though so when my mum picks the kids up from school she can quickly feed them for me or they can bring it with them. That's minimising the chance of us buying a takeaway lol

Off work until Monday after today though so hopefully I'll have more time to sort myself out!
    Light bulb moment Feb 2014! Total debt then £17,497.64
    Current debt £8121.16.
    Expected debt free date Aug 2030 with current plan but I will beat that date, I had to adjust it due to a drop in wages
    • kkffoo
    • By kkffoo 12th Oct 16, 10:46 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    kkffoo
    Make Do:

I cut the tops off some pairs of socks with too tight elastic, and ran a couple of machine zig-zag stitches round the tops to stop the worst of the fraying. Wearing these up under trousers.
    Threaded some elastic through a nice warm bobble hat which was a little loose in the brim.

Mend:

Practising my darning and hole mending techniques. Decided I actually like hand-sewing when I have the time and inclination, and am enjoying the satisfaction and challenge of recycling. My first attempts a few months ago (hubby's jumper elbows) were somewhat hopeless, but I am improving.
    One of a cheapy knicker pack had what looked like a packing / machine cut in one side and I stabilised the slash with a jersey patch behind the cut. This will be a good trial for technique should something more expensive, or visible need attention.

Minimise:

After finding links to project 333 on this forum I tackled my winter wardrobe, and found the tips very handy.

I have been using "Wendy Mak's 1000 outfits from 30 pieces" which was great for making a start and tackling the anxiety of letting go. I'm finding project 333's rules are easier to remember and implement for my style!

Decided to move several items into the 'lounge wear' category, and I'm now wearing up lesser worn best items for housework.
    Minimising my earrings into to the two items I have remaining from the 33 might be beyond me though!
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 13th Oct 16, 11:44 PM
    • 799 Posts
    • 15,772 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Oooh dont mention earrings to me!! Gave away/ took to charity shops about 20 pairs before I moved (none valuable so not worth trying to sell!) I darent go and count what I have left - think I would hang my head so low in shame it would hit the floor!!

I do love me decorations - me mum used to say that I had more than a Christmas tree!! he he he

Cant claim any making do - food from stores and laptop + blanket keeping me warm so as not to waste friend's electricity
    Can't claim any mending - as Im not at home!
    Cant claim much minimising - a rather stressful situation has arisen with my tenant to the point where its getting all legalised! Hate it! I like to et on with folks - not be confrontational. Ergo been eating what shouldnt :-( Any tips on minimising anger folks?)
    Nite all - back to frugaling week after next - all this living like ordinary folk gives me the jitters!!

• iamsalt
    • By iamsalt 14th Oct 16, 7:43 AM
    • 198 Posts
    • 3,773 Thanks
    iamsalt
    Oh dear Lyn, all I can recommend for anger is long dog walks and a cleaning frenzy. They soon use up all my bad vibes although I don't forget. I may be making my first foray into renting out a flat I inherited, but I have been nervous about doing it, so I hope you resolve things soon.

Unexpected (well only agreed late yesterday) day off work today so just off to feed a friend's cat, then tidy the house and pop to the butcher to stock up for a couple of months. We make it a fun trip out as there is a cafe and orchards there to sit in/walk round.

Will be MMMing later!
    S x
    2016 the year of screen free days and mortgage reduction.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 14th Oct 16, 9:19 AM
    • 13,926 Posts
    • 108,638 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good Morning chums had a great day yesterday with a mini-meet in Faversham.Macknades Farm shop is gorgeous, and the afternoon was spent nattering our way through coffee. Had a mooch round before I came home and treated myself to a few bits from my Happy Cash Stash.Some gorgeous cheese, and a jar red onion chutney, spices and some really lovely grapes. Lovely afternoon with two very nice ladies from this site Thank you Carolbee and NRA (Bev) you were great fun and I was lucky that my son-in-law came home early from work, so I didn't have to rush off too quickly for my DGS.

Today I shall be minimising some more of my freezer instead of food shopping I know I have some casserole lamb in there so I want to get that out and defrost and make a large SC pot of stew.I also have a bag of Y/S veg in there to use up as well. This will be cooked overnight tonight into a hot-pot which will be portioned up for ready meals for next week as I have some busy days coming up. So in effect I will be both minimising and making do
    No mending at the moment but some more knitting to do with some squares for my charity blankets.
    This should keep me busy and away from the temptations of food shopping over the weekend so minimising my spending as well Tomorrow I will make some melting moments biscuits for DGS as they were asking for some earlier in the week. I have put granulated sugar down on my food shopping list, as I want to get some in and whizz it up in the food mixer to make caster sugar for Christmas baking.No point spending extra on caster sugar when I can make it myself
    Hope you all have a good weekend, only 10 weeks this Sunday until Christmas !!!

Cheers chums

JackieO xx

• iamsalt
    • By iamsalt 15th Oct 16, 7:30 AM
    • 198 Posts
    • 3,773 Thanks
    iamsalt
    How funny JackieO, I was there yesterday, having popped into Brogdale too! I like to pop in every one to two months ( stops me buying more by going infrequently!), and the caf!s at both are nice and very different

Yesterday afternoon was spent sorting through papers which have piled up so folders have been juggled and brought into use, and a big pile of shredding has been created for oh to do. It felt good to minimise it.

Made do with leftover hm curry last night, having dropped a portion up to mum (our own version of meals on wheels ) so I know she is eating properly. I eked our our share with extra veg and it was lovely. Made a bolognase to be portioned for future meals using packs of read chopped veg previously bought for 5p and frozen!

Mend - not my triumph, but oh's. I had dropped my rechargeable radio outside and it hadn't been working unless plugged into the mains all the time. OH set at it with a screwdriver and 20 mins later it was working again. What joy to have it back working and able to take it down the garden when I am working there. He fixed his computer last week which saved loads of money. He is very clumsy usually but electronic things he seems to have an affinity with!
    Library books due today, so that is being combined with getting tickets for a local event, then, back to tidying up and a wine and wisdom tonight so I will make some hm nibbles for that.
    S x
    • carolbee
    • By carolbee 15th Oct 16, 8:46 AM
    • 920 Posts
    • 5,749 Thanks
    carolbee
    Didn't realise you were close to us Iamsalt, shall we let you know when we meet again, perhaps you could PM me your location?
    Carolbee

Not buying it 2016
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 15th Oct 16, 8:53 AM
    • 13,926 Posts
    • 108,638 Thanks
    JackieO
    carolebee looks like we may have another taker for our mini-meet Good Idea about another one before Christmas as I can stock up on some Christmas goodies to spoil the family with
    The caramelised red chutney is gorgeous by the way, also the roquefort cheese ,I have saved some for my Saturday night treat tonight

• iamsalt
    • By iamsalt 16th Oct 16, 9:47 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 3,773 Thanks
    iamsalt
    Had a lovely free day out picking grapes for a localish small vineyard. A happy day outside meeting new people. The owner provided breakfast, lunch and cake, and we took home a bottle of wine and a sense of achievement.

Busy week ahead but I have prepared some meals already, so I hope to minimise the freezer a bit, as well as making sure we are eating well.

Mending - I have a much loved pair of trousers that are too threadbare to wear in public, but I had started unpicking the seams so I could create a pattern. I never finished that job, so I WILL do that this week. It's a small but achievable goal.

We made do with leftovers from the wine and wisdom last night for supper this evening as we were too tired to cook.

S x
    • Floss
    • By Floss 17th Oct 16, 8:09 AM
    • 3,098 Posts
    • 21,126 Thanks
    Floss
    I've been keeping busy over the last few days... I picked up a too-small fair isle jumper in a charity shop last week for £4. While watching the tennis yesterday I unpicked the seams to make cushions for Christmas presents. I also sewed some velvet ribbon onto the scratchy inner neckline of a new cardi, and secured an escaping bra-wire.

We had chicken pie made with Thursdays l/o roast chicken and home grown veg, it made double portion of filling for a 2-meal pie for both of us so there's a pie kit in the freezer.

I made a big pan of soup with Lidl's 29p parsnips on Saturday which did two days lunches, with 2 more in the freezer.

Oh, and I fully minimised the ironing pile whilst watching rugby on Saturday, and minimising the hours of recorded TV yesterday!
    Last edited by Floss; 17-10-2016 at 8:14 AM.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 17th Oct 16, 1:45 PM
    • 13,926 Posts
    • 108,638 Thanks
    JackieO
    Made another three squares for my charity blanket
    Made do with a couple of crackers a bit of cheese and two apples for lunch

No mending as such but I did find a couple of brackets and some screws for a shelf that was in the cupboard under the stairs as DGS Mikey wants a shelf putting up in his bedroom. Screws found in a jam-jar at the back of said below stairs cupboard. So there is the materials for his shelf and its cost nothing. I forgot I had so much stuff in there

• savingpennies
    • By savingpennies 18th Oct 16, 4:34 PM
    • 597 Posts
    • 3,711 Thanks
    savingpennies
    Cold, wet and windy in my neck of the woods today. Driving back from my aqua-aerobics class, I noticed how all the trees near me seem to have suddenly turned yellow and the wind was blowing clouds of leaves across the road. Yes, the colder weather is certainly here and I have to admit it is one of my favourite times of year. There is something rather satisfying about hunkering down and making everything cosy.

Making do: I ferretted out all the hot water bottles yesterday and found the fluffy under-blankets for DDs' beds. I also charged all the rechargeable batteries for the torches/mouse/radio.
    On Sunday I went collecting crab apples with one of my brothers and we came back with two carrier bags full - I'm not even sure we like crab apple jelly but will give it a try. He also gave me some chillis and I have used them to make chilli oil. One or two bottles might make good Christmas presents for a couple of friends.
    Minimising: Tonight home made soup from the freezer with some nice organic bread from Booths - an occasional treat. I've used some left over chicken and made it into a pie with some mushrooms, so that is tomorrow's tea sorted.
    Have a nice evening everyone.
    Books - the original virtual reality.

£2 Savers Club No. 206 £262/£300
    SPC No. 420 £279.96
    • Floss
    • By Floss 18th Oct 16, 6:58 PM
    • 3,098 Posts
    • 21,126 Thanks
    Floss
    ...Tonight home made soup from the freezer with some nice organic bread from Booths - an occasional treat...
    Originally posted by savingpennies
    Ooh, you must be somewhere near me for the treat of Booths! Also, chop a few chillies into half of your crab apple jelly to make chilli jelly
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,812Posts Today

7,430Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @c_newbery: @MartinSLewis Can't bring myself to vote for option A because of lack of apostrophe - some things are too precious! #grammar?

• MSE weekly email: Soap&Glory, Urgent 2YR cheap energy, free Tesco pts, cheap Easyjet, free TSB £100, £52 Ray-Bans https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Today's twitter poll: Is it acceptable to use bad grammar in tweets in order to reduce character length?

• Follow Martin