Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 1st Jan 16, 10:31 PM
    • 1,809Posts
    • 11,801Thanks
    misstara
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2016
    • 1st Jan 16, 10:31 PM
    Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2016 1st Jan 16 at 10:31 PM
    Following on from Cheerfulness' 2015 thread, it's time to start a 2016 one. The thread last year gave me so much inspiration and the lovely people on there were always at the ready to give advice and tips so I'm looking forward to another year of making do, mending and minimising. Hope to see some familiar faces here and new folk always welcome

The 2015 thread can be found here

Recipes
    Pineapple cake
    Scones
    Naan bread
    Chickpea curry
    Crustless quiche
    Flatbreads
    Onion bhajis
    Meri's Seafood Cakes
    Corned beef hash pie
    Peanut butter cookies
    Last edited by misstara; 26-04-2016 at 10:39 PM.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £642.64 (93.9% paid)
    New flat debt Sept 2016 £520.39 Now £475.65 (8.6% paid)
    Mini Targets
    Gym target - 0/12. Groceries target £0/£130. NSD target 0/15.
Page 96
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 18th Sep 16, 9:20 PM
    • 13,605 Posts
    • 105,654 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good evening chums back from the wild hills and glens of Bonny Scotland, had a great time with a large family reunion on Friday night, and a great deal of walking around the 'New cemetery' and Brechin Cathedral yesterday, eldest DD bought us dinner last night and it was amazing.Spent a bit more than I should have but my Canadian relations and my Australian relations have come a lot further than I did, and we all get along like a house on fire and its only every two -three years. We flew up on Friday morning to Aberdeen then picked up a hire car. I have just got home.Belt-tightening from now on is the order of the day though
    Thoroughly enjoyed our mini break,ate far too much but it was such a smashing B&B and everyone was so friendly.

We have all come home with lots of lovely memories of the weekend My cousin from Winnipeg brought his two DD's over as well and the eldest is 6 months pregnant with her first baby and she is a lovely lass and we all looked after her and her little 'nestling'
    DD really enjoyed the break as well and its done her good to get right away from the stresses of her day time job for a few days as her job is quite an intense one.I feel fit and ready to face the autumn and winter now.
    Normal frugaling service is now resumed
    Cheers chums JackieO xxxx
    Last edited by JackieO; 19-09-2016 at 10:23 AM.
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.

Very pleased with how my months budget has gone and a bit more room in the freezer thanks to shopping from there instead of the supermarket.Have £14.28 left in my food budget purse and only 2 more days to go until the end of the month
    • misstara
    • By misstara 18th Sep 16, 9:45 PM
    • 1,809 Posts
    • 11,801 Thanks
    misstara
    Glad you had a great time away JackieO. I was down in Montrose yesterday, was a beautiful day for a wee trip
    Mini Targets
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 18th Sep 16, 10:35 PM
    • 753 Posts
    • 15,129 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Sea Blackberries!!
    Evening all

Feeling terribly spoil t today took a flask of hot water; milk; tea bags; piece of cake in my trusty rucksack to a cliff top (about half mile to walk along to sheltered spot) and sat watching the sea and drinking tea and eating cake. It was mostly grey but still warm and hot even when the sun broke through. The sea wasn't up (i.e.surf) but still enough to watch a dad trying to teach his kid to catch a wave to surf it. So nice to sea. Such a treat! Have to keep on pinching myself to believe that I actually live here and can do this

Wow iamsalt that is a lot of foraging!! Impressive!! what do folks do with crab apples other than crab apple jelly???

I did get some blackberries today - they were growing along the cliff top!! So tomorrow its crumble time Also gonna make brownies to use up eggs and have oven at same temperature!

Glad you had a great time Jackie O what a lovely thing to do!!!

Went to L!dils today and spent £12 but there was a gammon on offer which will also be cooked tomorrow and will then be frozen after a couple of days thus providing Sani meat for several days in the future!
    Make do: Came home late from my rambles so made a quick pasta dish and used some frozen lentil patties for the protein part of the meal.
    Minimise: As you know am trying to loose weight. So actually weighed the pasta used tonight about 1/3rd less than I was giving myself!! Won't be doing that anymore!! Its a waste as I don't need that much (am not hungry as I sit here and if I were there is loads I could eat in the house). So eating less carbs might help to minimise me as well!!!
    Mend: Nowt today!!! did a load yesterday!!
    Let me know re crab apples as I think I've seen rather laden tree of them down one of the lanes!
    Ta
    Nite all
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)

LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 19th Sep 16, 7:33 AM
    • 14,495 Posts
    • 184,728 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Morning all
    Welcome back jackieO, glad you had a good time. Everyone's foraging expeditions seem to be very productive.
    Hope all are as well as can be.

I minimised 6 big bags to the CS, 5 carrier bags into the clothes bank and some coat hangers into the recycling bin.
    Need to minimise the ironing pile today and clear stuff that's built up on the dining table.

Dd2 has given me a pair of dsgg leggings and asked me to make something from them, the actual fabric is ok (covered in marvel characters) but they are going at the seams. She's asked me to make them into something as she loved the fabric. Need to have a think. Was originally planning bag of some kind but might see if I can make a rag doll.

Need to get the lads off to college & work now then I can get on with today's tasks.

Have a good day all.
    grocery challenge October budget £400 spent £69.72
    SPC~9 No100 : :X3
    read your books challenge-currently on calling mrs Christmas
    xstitch challenge 63 'mittens' lyric cushion
    16 in 2016 challenge 7/16 Cushion
    2016 wooligan stuff - 71 assorted hats, 9,beadbags 10,hedgehogs
    • Floss
    • By Floss 19th Sep 16, 8:01 AM
    • 2,899 Posts
    • 18,455 Thanks
    Floss
    LynP crab apples can be the base for hedgerow jelly (with any other berries you find such as blackberries, sloes, rosehips etc) or herb jellies such as mint, sage or rosemary.
    • savingpennies
    • By savingpennies 19th Sep 16, 9:08 AM
    • 591 Posts
    • 3,614 Thanks
    savingpennies
    Evening all,

Savingpennies - I really like the sound of your knitted decorations!! What fun!! Are the patterns very complicated? Do you think they would be suitable for a 'returning' knitter??? I fancy starting on something small and I was wondering if they might make good Christmas presents? I wonder if they have Christmas ones? (Appologies for mentioning the C word but I will be mostly making for that event and need to get started - if I am doing while listening to the radio I will not doze off and hopefully this will help me to sort out sleep patterns - which I am getting there on)
    Originally posted by Lynplatinum
    Morning all,
    Lynplatinum - the pumpkins, are from a Jean Greenhowe pattern but the cones and acorn patterns are on ravelry and are free patterns from Franki Brown. There are lots of free patterns on there as others have said.
    Jackie O - it sounds like you had a fabulous time. I love the idea of a nestling.

Making do: Yesterday I went foraging with one of my brothers, his wife, my mother and eldest DD. We go every year to a local farm which is owned by my brother's friend. We picked sloes, blackberries and elderberries. The sloes have been cleaned and frozen to make sloe gin in a couple of months. The blackberries have already been stewed and will be frozen this morning. With the elderberries I'm thinking elderberry cordial. The hedgerow jam sounds good - anyone have a recipe?. I'm off today foraging for crabapples. When they built our houses 20 years ago, they planted crabapples, Mirabelle cherry trees, hawthorn, rowan and lots of elder, so we are well provided for.
    Not much on the minimising and mending front but it's on the list.
    Books - the original virtual reality.

£2 Savers Club No. 206 £160/£300
    SPC No. 420 £279.96
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 19th Sep 16, 10:21 AM
    • 13,605 Posts
    • 105,654 Thanks
    JackieO
    Glad you had a great time away JackieO. I was down in Montrose yesterday, was a beautiful day for a wee trip
    Originally posted by misstara
    It was indeed a beautiful morning on the beach at Montrose yesterday and DD took some great pictures. we sat by the 'minesweeper mans statue' looking across the sea and watching the birds.The last time I was on Montrose beach was 1954 and it was freezing and I remember my late Father insisting how it would be 'good' for my brothers and I to get into the water.Even though it was a gorgeous day yesterday no way would I have dipped a toe into the north sea .We went on to Stonehaven and had a nice lunch almost on the beach, and it didn't break the bank either, filled us both up and for the two of us watered and fed came to under £15.Lovely spot,sad we didn't have more time to explore it though. The castle looked good but just ran out of time before we could get up there.still never mind its not going to go away and we know where to go back to

Very pleased with how my months budget has gone and a bit more room in the freezer thanks to shopping from there instead of the supermarket.Have £14.28 left in my food budget purse and only 2 more days to go until the end of the month
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 19th Sep 16, 11:50 PM
    • 753 Posts
    • 15,129 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Crumble made!!
    hiya All

Well, was doing a using up day today and made myself enchilladas with the last 2 wraps left and sauted half a pepper + onion + 2 small tomatoes + squirt of tomato puree and put salad and this and some thawed HM chicken into the wraps and grated a bit of cheese over. Yum yum yum

This MAKE DO was soooooo filling that I wasnt hungry till much much later! By which time I had made that much promised blackberry and apple crumble - which was all I had for tea with a small amount of ice cream. My crumbles are very healthy using very little sugar + wholemeal flour + less fat to flour + seasame seeds toasted and added to the crumble mix!

Also did my walkies and my yoga today so hopefully that is helping to MINIMISE me!!

Mend - nowt today but did copy some of my poetry scribblings into my book of poetry rather than having them on bits of paper - which makes it easier when I am asked to perform (i.e. reading them aloud to somesort of audience). So pleased to have minimised that clutter.
    Nite all!!

Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 20th Sep 16, 9:06 AM
    • 14,495 Posts
    • 184,728 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Morning all
    Hope everyone is well

Just paired the socks and threw a few Holey ones away - so that's minimising. Need to go through DGS toybox this morning as there is a lot of baby stuff he there that is too young for him now so I'll minimise sone of that into a CS bag.

Got some mashed potato left over from last night so will make do with a veggie shepherds pie for tea using that up.

Dd3s fiance popped round with her last night and gave ds2s bike a quick service putting pedal back on one and chain back on the other so that counts as mending. Dd3 bought cakes round for mils birthday - I'll drop them round later as she's taking them to her age concern group today.

Right better get on I suppose, have a good day all.
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 20th Sep 16, 10:41 PM
    • 753 Posts
    • 15,129 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Just call me muscles!!
    Evening folks

Make do: food from stocks and used an old sparkling water bottle to dilute my scree wash and enable me to pour it into the car without spillage
    Mend: saved myself loads a dosh by putting in my own screen wash and antifreeze stuff into car and checking oil and tyres.

Minimise: me by yoga and walkies + clutter of plants as I went with (a budgeted for) purchase of some terracotta pots to put them in. Long term this will be a saving as the plants were herbs which are not doing too well in their plastic ones.

Also joined their Gardening Club - its not as good as Dobbies in that no free coffee but the Wyvale one is free and apparently you get pre Christmas evenings and offers etc so we will see if it saves me anything cos I dont have a big garden now!!!!

I am sure carrying a 50L bag of specailist compost for me rose to the car/out of the car/down the steps/ through the house must have lost me weight! Seriously tho I dont think I could have done it a few weeks ago so all the exercises to improve core strength might actually be working!
    Nite all

• mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 21st Sep 16, 8:19 AM
    • 14,495 Posts
    • 184,728 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Morning all
    Hope everyone is well
    Minimising - pile of stuff started for CS, will hopefully be taken at the weekend. Mils birthday pressies will go round to hers later.
    Make do - Dh is having left over veggie shepherds pie from last night for his dinner today.
    Mend - did some laminating for Dh first things, not sure if that counts.

Have a good day all.
    • PinkFlamingo30
    • By PinkFlamingo30 21st Sep 16, 8:35 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    PinkFlamingo30
    Oh my where did the time go!
    I think I have managed to break every mmm rule since i was last on here
    I am so far off the rails I am astounded and mildly horrified. I don't even know where to restart from.
    I am now back at school and only working 4 days a week so need to keep an eye on the pennies. Inheritance has been finalised so I have that which makes pennie watching harder. I Also discovered a really nice piercing place so have new sparkles which i did need, but it is all going neyargh in my mind (which is a tad messed up at the best of times). Please help me get back on the straight and narrow and stop my freaking out...
    Mad teaching cat woman trying to be more frugal and fun
    • misstara
    • By misstara 21st Sep 16, 10:00 PM
    • 1,809 Posts
    • 11,801 Thanks
    misstara
    Welcome back PinkFlamingo . Start small, try to do one MMM thing tomorrow to get you back on track.

It's not been a great week for spending, have totally lost track of my budgets - definitely been minimising my money

A day off work today so spent last night at the new flat, it's feeling more homely now the living room carpet has been laid. Spent most of the day out in the wee garden getting rid of the weeds.

Came back to flat late afternoon and made lasagne for tea. Realised half way through that the milk had gone off so made do with powdered milk to make the white sauce. Turned out well and there's 4 portions to go in the freezer.

Had a relaxing evening chatting to my brother on the phone and then watching the GBBO . Just going to get my lunch and work clothes organised for tomorrow and then go for an early night.
    Mini Targets
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 22nd Sep 16, 9:06 AM
    • 13,605 Posts
    • 105,654 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good Morning chums , definitely making do with stuff in the larder for awhile DD sprung on my last night that she has booked us all in for a weekend away to the Isle of Wight at the end of November as a treat for her OHs birthday so my eyes will be even more hawk-like for the next 9 weeks

Bless her she normally goes away for the weekend with him every year on or near his birthday, but this year as she has had a special unexpected windfall from work she said we are all going .

So that's seven of us plus DGS G/F and two dogs trundling off down to the Isle of Wight

DGS Ben is coming down from Uni for a long weekend with his G/F as well. So I shall be even more vigilant with my spending now

DD adores the Island, and when the boys are off hand she will move there I think. She spent a lot of her childhood there as my late OH came from there, and we used to go to my Ma-in-laws about twice a month and for most of the summer holidays.

Minimising my wool stash a bit more yesterday, as I am now just finishing another charity blanket.

No mending ,but today I will be fixing a new set of hooks up in the kitchen that I found in the drawer when I we decluttering I had forgotten they were there

Hope you all have a good day
    happy frugalling

JackieO xx

• Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 22nd Sep 16, 11:26 PM
    • 753 Posts
    • 15,129 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Dangerous Book and Bake Sale !!
    Hiya All

PinkFlamingo30 - dont be so hard on yourself - there are no 'rules' on here as far as I am aware!! just the friendly suggestion that, if, each day, you try to make do; mend; minimise something in your life then it will get easier and the financial life is liable to benefit too! As others have said try to do one small thing each day to start with. It's a habit to develop!! They say you have to do anything for 20 days for it to become a habit.

Wow Jackie O that will be a fun trip to IOW! What a great surprise!

I have been asked to help out at my friend's village book and bake this weekend. Last time I left with 8 books Am gonna try not to do this (even if 66 of the books were for family!!) as I have over 25 books sitting waiting to be read in my bedroom and I am trying to use the local library to keep it in the town. Wish me luck!!

Make do: Food from stores; drying washing totally in the sunshine! Got it in before it needed airing!
    Mend: nowt
    Minimise: hopefully me (did my yoga and a 2 hour walk today!!) and the interest I had on one credit card by moving it over to the other one who offered a no fee transfer and 7.9 %. Much better!! Within that year will have cleared all costs of my move + new washing machine + new garage door.

Happy with this as once more have used the banks rather than them using me!!
    Feels weird not having nowt to mend - but this house is in very good nic and my clothes are all mended - do have one pair of trousers to take up but am away this weekend at my friend's !!! This retiring lark is all go!
    Nite all

• poppy811
    • By poppy811 23rd Sep 16, 8:38 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 249 Thanks
    poppy811
    A better week for me this week. Feeling a little braver and less anxious about being on my own. Cleared the sweet pea, runner beans and courgette plants from the garden and the grass has been cut by my lovely neighbour.

Mended the oven door, the glass front was falling out.

Have been reducing the contents of the freezer but have had to do a shop yesterday as I have family visiting this weekend.

i am going to really look at my finances later today, I think I will follow the Jackie O example.
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 23rd Sep 16, 10:09 AM
    • 3,656 Posts
    • 5,742 Thanks
    culpepper
    Hello peeps, this week I have been v. busy
    1st making alcohol stoves from washed cans I harvested in the park. I made four, 2 'penny stoves' and two others to go in our emergency collection. They work with meths.

Then I made a hobo stove to fit on top of my Kelly Kettle base. You can buy them but they are £15 with delivery and really are just a circle of metal with holes and a bent bit to hold pots. I used an old cake tin (we had 3 the same because of MIL's stash) to make mine ,with the dremmel for cutting it and it works perfectly.

Then I mended my pocket knife. I found it on the tow path about 10 years ago and it has always had a weak blade due to the outside casing being rusted. A bit of that thermal plastic melted into a new outside cover and hooray it worked.

We have a microwave sandwich toaster thing which lost a hinge almost immediately(charity shop purchase) and that now has a new toothbrush handle hinge courtesy of the dremmel.

Yesterday I cleaned my suede sandals. They are beige and were beginning to look quite grubby. I used a foot file to get the texture back and then a pencil rubber to clean up small marks and a disposable razor to tidy any raggedy edges.

Must think of more projects......
    • celtic_moon
    • By celtic_moon 23rd Sep 16, 12:30 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 977 Thanks
    celtic_moon
    More time please!
    Hello All

Still on the MMM wagon - a little more relaxed as I go back to work (paid work that is - not stopped all summer!) next week!

Currently processing a whole veg box full of bramley apples a friend rescued from a friend who was putting them in the bin! My friend has already rescued and rehomed 5 trays full - all because they moved into a house with the tree there and they don't like them! We are very down on our freezer stocks so will be scouring the YS sections and defrosting joints for cooking and freezing in gravy. We will get the freezers defrosted and moved around then they will be ready for the Christmas gluts from the market and @ldi

Learning to knit all over again - larger needles means I don't have my usual tension problem. Looking forward to lots of new projects there.

We are expanding at work - all to be done on a shoestring and MMM - currently skip diving etc so lots of 'junk' everywhere - home and work - which is driving me crazy right now but will be worth it in the end!

Love keeping up with everyone's stories and life events. Just not enough hours in the day at the moment AND I still can't remember my password so can only use the work PC to comment - oh to have a brain!

Take care of yourselves xxx
    • peony40
    • By peony40 23rd Sep 16, 5:55 PM
    • 455 Posts
    • 5,800 Thanks
    peony40
    Hello,

I'd like to join you all, if ok?

I am very drawn to this way of living, but have not been that mindful in the past, just drifting along. However, I now feel the need to be more aware of each day.

I will be reading back through the thread for ideas and inspiration, and will be back later with my 3 M's tomorrow.
    October Grocery Challenge £99.15/£180.00
    • nursemaggie
    • By nursemaggie 23rd Sep 16, 6:52 PM
    • 1,354 Posts
    • 18,533 Thanks
    nursemaggie
    Welcomepeony40. the best way to start is get all your bills down as much as you can by switching and use MSE to do all your switching as you get money back.

Keep a spending diary and write everything down, keep all your receipts and add everything up every month. It shows you were you are wasting money. If you have an Ald! or L!dl near you try them and try everything you use. You will find some things better than top brands and some just as good. We decide by thinking is the brand worth the extra. It rarely is.

If you don't have those shops near you try switching to own brands the same way.

Making do should really be "do I really need to buy that? Will something I already have do the job. I personally do not think leftovers is making do because if you only cook what you need you will not have any leftovers. I never think of the remains of a roast as leftovers I have always used every scrap.

I think my biggest saving is I am lucky enough to have a local indoor market. It has a huge food section. I buy 5kg of chicken breasts which are usually so big there is plenty for two. I trim them, put them in little plastic bags and freeze them I go to one butcher and by everything else I need for the next two months and then barter with him for the chicken. I end up with enough to last 8 to ten weeks for usually less than £30.

It can be well worth is to do the same with a local butcher.

We also have a frozen food place in our market. A lot of the stuff is big brands seconds which just means the crumbs have come off a bit on some fish or the pastry is slightly broken on a quiche. They are usually about half the price of the brand.

You cant go far wrong with following Jackie O though don't think you are not succeeding if you can't get it down as low as her as she goes to her DDs for her Sunday dinner and brings back leftovers. I manage to feed us very well on £50 a week.

I have a 22 year old son with a good appetite. We do eat a lot of chicken but then I do have plenty of recipes so we don't repeat much in a month only our favourites like Chicken Korma and sausage egg and chips. The sausages are not the same ones every week. The £50 includes toiletries and cleaning materials. I buy all of those at Ald!. Their cleaning materials are all as good as the top brands but around half the price. Spread out over the whole year my grocery bill does include Christmas food.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,088Posts Today

6,057Users online

Martin's Twitter