Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • somerandom
    • By somerandom 1st Jan 16, 8:05 PM
    • 695Posts
    • 5,092Thanks
    somerandom
    Completely Crazy Clothes Challenge 2016
    • 1st Jan 16, 8:05 PM
    Completely Crazy Clothes Challenge 2016 1st Jan 16 at 8:05 PM
    Thank you to Fedupandskint for coming up with the idea for, and running this challenge for the past 2 years.

A number of us found it so useful we've decided to continue for a further year - come on and join in as we attempt to keep the success we achieved!

Some people kept within their budget and had several No Spend Months and others (like me) went over their budget but still spent way less than they otherwise would have.

Do you buy clothes as something to do and stick them in your wardrobe without trying them on and leave them unworn?
    Do you wish you could spend less on clothes?
    Are you tempted by the sales to spend and buy clothes you don't need?
    Do you have clothes in your wardrobe you don't wear?

Come and join us!
    Who's up for it?
    Who wants to reign in their spends?

You can join any time, we had members joining in November and December, it's never too late to join!

Let's all try to post at least weekly even, in fact especially, if we haven't spent anything - that way we can motivate & congratulate each other

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Zorica; 19-07-2016 at 5:08 PM.
    Check out My Debt Free Diary "My Leap of Faith"
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5334341&highlight=
    Completely Crazy Clothes Challenge 2016 - £441.15/£300.00
Page 48
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 20th Sep 16, 5:59 PM
    • 876 Posts
    • 858 Thanks
    Kim_13
    I'm afraid I've rather lost track of how much I've spent. I lost my dog recently and bought some clothes around that time. Some were returned and now I can't remember what I added or took off. I'm going to have to approximate at £200 year to date and go from there.

Can I also ask some advice? I'm going to a wedding (never been to a wedding before in my life) and I'm unsure what to wear. I have a smart jacket (black with white pattern) that I was going to wear with a black top. I don't want to wear black trousers with that as it would then feel like a funeral outfit I think. Would these be acceptable at a registry office wedding? https://tuclothing.sainsburys.co.uk/p/Grey-Skinny-Fit-Mid-Rise-Jean/130164433-Grey

What is usual for a registry office?

Thanks
    Sealed Pot Challenge #10 No. 520 ~ ?/£100
    Virtual Sealed Pot Challenge ~ #9
    Completely Crazy Clothes Challenge 2016 ~ Probably about £100 over budget!
    Emergency Fund #170 ~ £300
    Xmas 2017 #25
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 20th Sep 16, 7:37 PM
    • 824 Posts
    • 4,060 Thanks
    Florence J
    Bought a band T shirt at a gig for £10.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 9 #553 = £156.88
    Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #553
    2016: Sell £1000 #51 (£340.03/£1000)
    Completely Crazy Clothes Challenge 2016 = £270.45/£310
    Wombling free 2016 = £449.19
    • Floss
    • By Floss 20th Sep 16, 7:57 PM
    • 3,095 Posts
    • 21,102 Thanks
    Floss
    ...Can I also ask some advice? I'm going to a wedding (never been to a wedding before in my life) and I'm unsure what to wear. I have a smart jacket (black with white pattern) that I was going to wear with a black top. I don't want to wear black trousers with that as it would then feel like a funeral outfit I think. Would these be acceptable at a registry office wedding? https://tuclothing.sainsburys.co.uk/p/Grey-Skinny-Fit-Mid-Rise-Jean/130164433-Grey

What is usual for a registry office?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Kim_13
    Not sure about those...Do you have a white top you could wear with black trousers & your jacket? Maybe with red shoes, bag & clip-in fascinator (look in BHF)?
    • somerandom
    • By somerandom 20th Sep 16, 9:30 PM
    • 695 Posts
    • 5,092 Thanks
    somerandom
    Hi Kim - Personally I wouldn't wear those to a registry office wedding - a bit too casual in my opinion.

I'm a big fan of dress / jacket combo - so what about a plain coloured shift dress to wear with your jacket. Even if it was a black dress the jacket would lift it and perhaps you could wear a nice big statement necklace for when you take your jacket off or as Floss suggests bold accessories.

Have fun
    Last edited by somerandom; 20-09-2016 at 9:33 PM.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 20th Sep 16, 10:20 PM
    • 6,989 Posts
    • 43,989 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Kim I agree that unless its a specifically casual wedding, I wouldn't wear jeans. Personally I usually opt for a dress for a wedding but if you don't have one, as has been suggested perhaps your black trousers with the jacket and a brighter top and accessories to match / compliment the colour of the top.

If you don't have a dress, and don't want to wear trousers, what about a skirt / top combo?

Do you have any friends you could perhaps ask to 'shop' in their wardrobes who might have something suitable?
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• somerandom
    • By somerandom 21st Sep 16, 9:48 AM
    • 695 Posts
    • 5,092 Thanks
    somerandom
    Just popping on for some clothes related sympathy - I've just opened my wardrobe to find that my favourite cardigan - green cashmere - has been eaten by moths - massive holes - not recoverable. I know that in the scheme of things this is not a major tragedy but - I LOVED that cardigan

That's it now - moving on.... (with just a small tear in my eye )
    Last edited by somerandom; 21-09-2016 at 9:53 AM.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 21st Sep 16, 5:18 PM
    • 3,095 Posts
    • 21,102 Thanks
    Floss
    Just popping on for some clothes related sympathy - I've just opened my wardrobe to find that my favourite cardigan - green cashmere - has been eaten by moths - massive holes - not recoverable. I know that in the scheme of things this is not a major tragedy but - I LOVED that cardigan

That's it now - moving on.... (with just a small tear in my eye )
    Originally posted by somerandom
    Get some cedar wood and/or lavender oil in there, as the moths don't like them.
    • somerandom
    • By somerandom 21st Sep 16, 7:07 PM
    • 695 Posts
    • 5,092 Thanks
    somerandom
    Get some cedar wood and/or lavender oil in there, as the moths don't like them.
    Originally posted by Floss
    I will give that a go Floss thanks.
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 25th Sep 16, 11:17 PM
    • 2,122 Posts
    • 5,995 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Tuesday went to ms and bought 4 new vest tops of various kinds. Happy to see that they are so long on the body. Knickers are going back.
    Saturday hubby left me in S upon Avon whilst he went to football. Went to one of my favourite shops Wtite C to get a pair of slouchy trouser ( the pair that I bought six years ago have a small hole. Was Also looking for a new jumper for the winter. Had a 20% off voucher. Style adviser showed me around pointing out different tops/jumpers to me. 3 jumpers, 2 tops, a scarf and a pair of slouchy trouser later, I walked out of the shop! Have blown the budget but was replaced a few much used and loved items.
    £2 Savers Club no 2 completed - target achieved
    Save £12k in 2016 - no 73 (£4872/9000).
    Road kill rebels- no 3 £40.70
    Declutter 2016 in 2016. Completed 5/11/16
    CCC no 19 £900/£600 5/ 8months
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 2nd Oct 16, 8:23 AM
    • 4,151 Posts
    • 42,026 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning all. Popping in to report on my spending yesterday. Went to a jumble sale and bought 3 new with labels dresses for £2 each (original total £126) and two as new skirts for £1 each. So £8 spent. I'll update my signature.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! Jan £0

• Rowan moon
    • By Rowan moon 3rd Oct 16, 10:45 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 1,473 Thanks
    Rowan moon
    Rowan[/B] - I'm hoping that this will prove to be a fabulous fresh start for you. What area are you looking for a therapy centre in? Also - I don't know if this would be of interest to you - but I know an organisation that offers free mentoring to women working in the not-for-profit sector. I had some during the transition period from work to starting my business and found it really helpful. If you're interested let me know & I'll message you the details.
    by somerandom;71329700
    [B
    Somerandom sorry I thought I had replied to this but mustn't have sent it.

I would be very interested in the mentoring . I have a new job and will probably start early November and it is also in the not for profit sector. It is part time so I can also do some hypnotherapy too - probably in the new year. I'm looking for a lovely therapy cente in Derbyshire to do that from.

I've had another little spend - a Masai dress from the cs for £7 and a Boden cardi from cs for £8. Must add those to my total spends. I am treating myself a bit too much at the moment. Lunch out, books, makeup - it's been stressful at work as lots of folk upset about losing their jobs. I know it is emotional spending and am telling myself to allow this little blip until my new job starts.
    Clothes challenge 2016 -£263 /£350
    • somerandom
    • By somerandom 4th Oct 16, 7:55 AM
    • 695 Posts
    • 5,092 Thanks
    somerandom
    Hi Rowan - I will PM you the details of that organisation (I was at one of their events last night).

So pleased you have a new job to go to but I can understand how its still been stressful. As far as emotional spending goes it sounds fairly contained and its smart to have given yourself a deadline on it.

(Rowan - I've PM'd the info but not sure if it worked (can't see the message in sent folder). Please let me know if it doesn't arrive.
    Last edited by somerandom; 04-10-2016 at 8:07 AM. Reason: up date
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 5th Oct 16, 11:07 PM
    • 6,989 Posts
    • 43,989 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Mav have you seen the new Trick or Treat leggings.... I don't need but I sooooo want!
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Rowan moon
    • By Rowan moon 7th Oct 16, 4:06 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 1,473 Thanks
    Rowan moon
    Somerandom I have got the pm and replied. Thanks so much.

Kerry and Mavvymoo you both need those legins
    Clothes challenge 2016 -£263 /£350
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 7th Oct 16, 7:36 PM
    • 6,989 Posts
    • 43,989 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Somerandom I have got the pm and replied. Thanks so much.

Kerry and Mavvymoo you both need those legins
    Originally posted by Rowan moon
    But do we get the Trick or Treat ones?

Whilst I'm here, I shall confess, the jumpsuit I ordered from NL actually looks pretty cool on - needs heels but I have some suitable - wearing it just makes me want to pull a Charlie's Angels pose
    JAN NSD 11/16

• somerandom
    • By somerandom 8th Oct 16, 8:49 AM
    • 695 Posts
    • 5,092 Thanks
    somerandom
    Whilst I'm here, I shall confess, the jumpsuit I ordered from NL actually looks pretty cool on - needs heels but I have some suitable - wearing it just makes me want to pull a Charlie's Angels pose
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    I'm glad it looks cool on ! I really liked the look of it in the pic. I love the line of jumpsuits. Enjoy wearing it
    • somerandom
    • By somerandom 8th Oct 16, 1:26 PM
    • 695 Posts
    • 5,092 Thanks
    somerandom
    Black LK Bennett Dress - £5.00 - it's one of those really easy to wear items that you can dress up or dress down - I'm expecting to get a lot of wear out of it.

I'm now a few pounds over budget for the year. I'm surprised it's lasted this long the rate I was spending earlier in the year. I've definitely slowed down over recent months. I will need to buy a couple of cardigans to replace the ones that have been eaten by moths...
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 8th Oct 16, 6:38 PM
    • 4,151 Posts
    • 42,026 Thanks
    Jazee
    £3 spent on CS M&S jeans. Haven't tried them on yet, hope they will be ok as I love them. Will update siggy.

• MrsShazbat
    • By MrsShazbat 9th Oct 16, 8:25 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 1,641 Thanks
    MrsShazbat
    M&S just need to stop having sales on!!
    PAYDBX 2016 #71 £2989.28 / £4785 * Xmas 2017 #8 £0 / £365 *
    * SPCNo.10 #66 (SPCNo.9 £442.64) *
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 11th Oct 16, 3:25 PM
    • 4,151 Posts
    • 42,026 Thanks
    Jazee
    £3 M&S jeans fit perfectly. I have added £40 to my total to cover some winter boots I bought yesterday to replace some which had worn out after 6+ years.

In the M&S sale I also got two dresses, a jumper and a cardigan for £31.48 but paid for it with vouchers I got for my birthday, so won't add them to my signature. Original prices would have been £105.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,352Posts Today

6,710Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @speirin: @MartinSLewis now thats a blast from the past ???? https://t.co/5cSz1aNWFz

• Have you set the Betamax? Tonight 8pm ITV The Martin Lewis Money Show - if ur married, and/or got kids and/or get tax credits - a must watch

• On my way to @thismorning today "Is a shop telling you porkies" - how to tell your consumer rights from consumer wrongs...

• Follow Martin