Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• queen of cheap
    • By queen of cheap 1st Jan 16, 3:43 PM
    • 15,983Posts
    • 273,700Thanks
    queen of cheap
    The ups and downs of growing your own dinner 2016...
    • 1st Jan 16, 3:43 PM
    The ups and downs of growing your own dinner 2016... 1st Jan 16 at 3:43 PM
    Hello folks and welcome to the 2016 grow your own thread

Everyone is welcome. Come and tell us about your growing shenanigans

What do you like to grow?

Are you going to try anything different this year?

Do you have any tips for growing?

Do you make anything with what you grow?

Happy new year, and happy growing!
    I thought this site was supposed to SAVE me money...?!

Debt free 24th September 2014

Every penny is a prisoner
Page 30
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 9th Oct 16, 12:03 PM
    • 4,062 Posts
    • 41,168 Thanks
    Hello all. I'm presuming the lack of posts means you've all been busy in the garden/on the allotment etc.

I have loads of strawberries just ripening which shows how mad the weather is. Glorious day today, so I have been lifting the peas and tomatoes and am now cleaning the greenhouse which is one of my least favourite jobs. Not sure I'll be cleaning the pots.

Have lots of salad stuff at the moment which I planted end Aug/early September, should be ok for another month or so.

I may plant some garlic today, I may not.
    Crazy clothes challenge 2016 (Needs not wants, from CS where poss)

• queen of cheap
    • By queen of cheap 23rd Oct 16, 4:59 PM
    • 15,983 Posts
    • 273,700 Thanks
    queen of cheap
    Hi folks! How are we all doing?

I've only got a few bits out now - sprouts, a single purple sprouting brocolli, spaghetti squash, cabbages, a single pumpkin which is neither big nor orange, carrots and parsnips. Oh and oca

Overall, I've done very well this year. Plenty of veg in the freezer, some fruit too but most of that went in the brewing bucket to give me the 60 bottles of wine for this year!

What will I do next year? All the fruit plus another rhubarb plant that we've put in. Chard is going to feature as the chickens love it and it doesn't take much growing I've got 21 more strawberry plants from runners which are destined half for the chicken plot and half for my garden, which I intend to use a pallet and grow them vertically. Potatoes are going at the first plot as the soil there is so much better and non-claggy. We might put a row or two in on the new beds but we've not decided fully yet.

The spaghetti squash is a winner and will definitely be doing that again, as we will kale and spinach.

Garlic is in the car waiting to be planted. I'm not sure if I'm going to bother with overwintering onions. I want to put some broad beans in soon too.

What will I not bother with next year? I don't think I've grown anything this year that I wouldn't grow next year. We've made good use out of it all

Still more digging to be done at both plots, and manuring but generally, that's it for number 1 plot this year. Number two plot will still get daily visits because of the chickens. I'll only be able to go at weekends soon because it'll be too dark by the time I get home from work

Soon to start planning properly for next year
    I thought this site was supposed to SAVE me money...?!

Debt free 24th September 2014

Every penny is a prisoner
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 23rd Oct 16, 6:50 PM
    • 4,062 Posts
    • 41,168 Thanks
    My main challenge for next year is to successfully grow cucumbers again. Last two years have been rubbish!

More use of raised beds here too.

Still eating all the salad still growing in the garden. Haven't planted garlic yet, will do that next weekend.
    Crazy clothes challenge 2016 (Needs not wants, from CS where poss)

• UnluckyT
    • By UnluckyT 24th Oct 16, 9:59 AM
    • 477 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    Hello all. Mum and I have done poorly on our small allotment plot. What with mum breaking a bone in her foot plus me having a wobble and not seeing the benefit of having our third of a plot. I seen the light now though.
    Were trying to widen the bed at the moment plus dig it over, add something to improve the clay soil and pray for rain to soften the hard bits. Plus praying for frost (when the time right?) to help break the soil down, while it being covered for winter.
    It seems the typical first season of having the plot start to get it to the way it needed.
    Fortunately I've a friend who is giving a hand to pull up and move some of my unwanted paving slabs from my garden to the allotment. Using the slabs to divide our big bed into 3 small ones.
    18 stones 7lb - 17 stones 3/4lb
    • Fruittea
    • By Fruittea 24th Oct 16, 5:15 PM
    • 495 Posts
    • 1,515 Thanks
    Hi there I haven't posted for a while as the thread went very quiet but I expect that's because we are all finishing up a bit and not planting. I've been keeping an eye on the totals from the plot and I have around 623 saved by not buying and growing my own. I also have potatoes for the rest of the year in sacks. All tomatoes now finished but plenty of kales and parsnips to see me through and green broccoli and leeks to come.
    New things ready to go in are broad beans, garlic and more artichokes for the front garden which is a mix of pretty veg and flowers. I also have kilos of fruit in the freezer. So all in all a very good year. Neighbours are giving me plenty of apples which I'm eating and juicing and will freeze as much as possible.
    I've had a special offer on a veg box which I usually go for to get me through the winter months - so a small box is around 12 a week - I try to go for the toms and peppers and salad things as I have plenty of pumpkins to store. I'll do an estimate of the price of the stored stuff and update my totals as and when.
    It's been great listening to all your veggies stories over the year and would be good to hear all the other round-ups when people have time.
    All the best
    The 'Save 12k in 2014' Thread - done that!

Roadkill Rebel 2016 - 11p

Grown my own dinner 2016 - 473.88 saved so far!
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 27th Oct 16, 1:28 AM
    • 790 Posts
    • 5,883 Thanks
    Hi Everyone,

On the whole I'm quite pleased with this year, toms, cucumbers, peppers all picked but I've still got Jerusalem artichokes, carrots, leeks, cabbage, sprouting broccoli and kale growing, I've picked one bed of potatoes today (then the back gave way) 2 more beds to go. I've got as much in the freezers as possible, so if I'm careful I think I should be ok until next Spring.

My tunnel was new this year and I'm so pleased with it, it really does add a few extra weeks to the growing season. I've salads, beetroot, fennel, dwarf beans, onions, garlic, more carrots and oca still in it.

Next year:- Vegetables Much the same as this year, but I must make more effort to grow parsnips and celery - as both failed this year. Also I need to grow less runner beans, less courgettes, less winter squash.
    Fruit I need to make more effort with fruit, as we use rather a lot and I've been inspired by Queen... into thinking about making wine.

Yes - I'm quite pleased with 2016, I know my veg and fruit may not be perfect but I also know they are not full of herbicides/pesticides and they taste good. I've chickens for eggs, I've got some turkeys and hopefully next year a couple of pigs. We also have deer, partridge and pheasant on the place. Having said all that I'm finding we are eating much less meat and loads more veg - can't be bad.

One last thing - I've enjoyed this thread, you are a great bunch of people, helpful, supportive and entertaining, and I've picked up many useful tips - I do hope you continue with a 2017 thread. thankyou.
    grow your own dinner 2016 487.32 saved
    spent 73.91 (budget 250) for 2017 - must not go over this amount. (pots, onions shallots gooseberries)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

261Posts Today

1,822Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Magwa61: @MartinSLewis thank you Sorry I thought it was you, conning sids ????????????????????????????????????

• No. It's NEVER the right way to switch energy. Please don't confused these 'moneyexpert' sales reps with my site mo?

• The MSE weekly email: Energy hike warning, No7 trick, £400 marriage bonus, £3 photo mug, railcard 15%off, 3.1% loan

• Follow Martin