Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Aril
    • By Aril 31st Dec 15, 8:07 PM
    • 1,870Posts
    • 16,549Thanks
    Aril
    Not Buying It- A Consumer Holiday 2016
    • 31st Dec 15, 8:07 PM
    Not Buying It- A Consumer Holiday 2016 31st Dec 15 at 8:07 PM
    Following on from Slowdown's fantastic thread here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5125747
    anyone wanting to join me on more adventures sailing the high seas on our friendly ship.

All aboard!

Arilx
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!

Not Buying It 2016
Page 49
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 22nd Sep 16, 6:44 PM
    • 5,367 Posts
    • 28,211 Thanks
    determined new ms

OH drives an old vehicle, owns it outright, maintains and keeps it running. Recent comments from some work colleagues are however, not nice. 'Whats that old piece of **** your driving' being the main one. These are people with new cars, designer clothes and latest smart phones. If anyone picks the berries off nearby bushes they get looks of disgust off the same mob because 'clean' punnets are sold in the shops. Nothing wrong purchasing new or designer stuff but to sneer at others who don't is a bit bad.
    Originally posted by Bathory
    That is so funny Barthory! I have picked tons of blackberries this year (as my freezer can confirm ) and as I have been growing my own I have been keeping a running total of grown or foraged foods. I was absolutely astounded at the price of them and was thinking who on earth would pay for them when they are free and everywhere?! Well now I know!
    Debt to Bank of oh Mum: £4200/£5700
    Wombling 2016 £169.39 Roadkill £4.79
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 22nd Sep 16, 7:27 PM
    • 6,940 Posts
    • 23,750 Thanks
    Primrose
    I drive a 16 year old car of which I'm very fond and I don't care a damn what other people think. I could afford a more modern vehicle but choose not to change it. Just think of all the depreciation people lose the moment they drive a new vehicle onto the road ! I'm sure some people just need to keep up with the Jones to boost their own morale and self confidence. The lucky people are those who don't need to go down this co slicuous consumer spending route.
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 22nd Sep 16, 11:03 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 15,058 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Help! another Book and Bake!
    Hiya all
    Bathory - do you put your tin in the oven with some oil in first so that the oil is hot when you add the batter? Dont use too much oil but ensure it is hot before adding the batter. I heat up the tin in the oven and then bring the batter over in a jug to the oven rather than waltz around the kitchen with a tray of hot oil!

Just to be very obvious and Elf and Safety - I do this so I dont spill hot oil over me, the kitchen or worse still anyone else.

BTW these people with designer XYZ also probably have maxed out credit cards and live on their overdraft!! They are also major polluters of the environment and daft for giving in to the big brands and making someone else very rich while they get poorer!! I prefer to be in control of my life as much as possible - thanks!!

Jackie - we are indeed lucky in this country. I try not to get cross when folk complain and realise that it is all relative to folks life experience. I have several friends from other countries and some of their stories are truely terrible.

So to be pathetic and petty myself (and yes, I am laughing at myself here!) This weekend I have been asked to bake again for the 'Book and Bake' to keep the beautiful old church going in my friend's village. V flattered as there are loads of really skilled WI standard bakers in the village. Baking is not a problem.

My issue is the 'Book' part!! Last time I resolved to not buy any books and came out with 8 !! (4 for my GD; 1 for DS1; 1 for DS2; and 2 for me I really am going to try not to buy any as am out of Happy Stash for the month bar £2.90!! Please send me non-spending vibes on Saturday!!!

Had a great day out yesterday on a coach trip to Barnstaple - anyone who hasnt been should go. A really pretty town - and very good for foodies. We did not have time to go to the museum but identified several restaurants we might go to - the organisation the does these trips does about one a year and my friend treated me to the trip so we are planning to go again next year!
    Nite all
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)

LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 23rd Sep 16, 8:01 AM
    • 13,590 Posts
    • 105,506 Thanks
    JackieO
    Lyneplatinum, solution to your 'book' problem only take a pound with you 'just in case' when you go on Saturday,that way, the worst way it will still leave you with £1.90 of Happy Cash Stash

Be strong and think of your book stash at home I too have a book addiction, and live very close to a second hand book shop I make a point of walking a different way to the shops if I have to, as I know I would be drawn in and there would definitely be a book sitting on the shelves in there saying 'Buy me,Buy me' and to be where there is not only books, but cake, is a severe test of moral fibre for most folk
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.

3/32 NSD so far this month
    Budget for month £60.00, spent £41.48,left in purse for food£18.52 and only 10 days left in the month
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 23rd Sep 16, 8:28 AM
    • 5,367 Posts
    • 28,211 Thanks
    determined new ms
    mmmmmm cake JackieO!
    • Bathory
    • By Bathory 23rd Sep 16, 9:30 AM
    • 165 Posts
    • 2,621 Thanks
    Bathory
    Lynplatinum, thanks for the tips. I don't think I had the oil hot enough plus I opened the oven door to see how they were getting on. I've not made puddings before but I'll give them another go this Sunday as we are back to roast chicken now the weather is cooling down. This usually gives us 3 days of meals, depending on the demands of the gannets cats , plus a soup.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 24th Sep 16, 12:33 AM
    • 13,590 Posts
    • 105,506 Thanks
    JackieO
    definitely Yorkshire pudding tins must be fairly hot when you put the batter in I also put the batter jug into the fridge to get it really cold before pouring into the trays.hotter the tins and colder the batter the better they will rise, I like yorkies to be like mini top hats
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.

3/32 NSD so far this month
    Budget for month £60.00, spent £41.48,left in purse for food£18.52 and only 10 days left in the month
    • dND
    • By dND 24th Sep 16, 8:05 AM
    • 394 Posts
    • 5,336 Thanks
    dND
    Lynplatinum, thanks for the tips. I don't think I had the oil hot enough plus I opened the oven door to see how they were getting on. I've not made puddings before but I'll give them another go this Sunday as we are back to roast chicken now the weather is cooling down. This usually gives us 3 days of meals, depending on the demands of the gannets cats , plus a soup.
    Originally posted by Bathory
    I think you said you used olive oil??? If so, that is also a problem; olive oil can't be raised to a high enough temperature without smoking and the charred oil is thought to be carcinogenic.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/christinebyrne/things-you-shouldnt-be-cooking-with-olive-oil?utm_term=.cqBZAm652#.bm0roG6zJ

Good luck with the Yorkshires - it took me quite a time to master and I found it really dependant on the oven and which dishes I was using to cook them in! xx

• determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 24th Sep 16, 8:53 AM
    • 5,367 Posts
    • 28,211 Thanks
    determined new ms
    I struggle with yorkshires! But I keep trying one day I will get there....

Had a mini consumerist achievement on Thursday I received my 1st pay slip and I have run out of hair mousse. In my lunch break I decided to walk into town and go to savers as I have been recommended some shampoo/conditioners for curly hair, so thought I would get them. A couple of minutes into the walk I decided I already have several bottles of shampoo & conditioner already and I could go a day or two without washing my hair. So I turned around and went for a walk in the park instead interesting to see payday = go spend some money! Yesterday I picked up the mousse and nothing else really seems buying things is so automatic, even if I don't actually need anything!

Thanks for the pep talk/encouragement, those feelings have now passed. I have just been up in the loft to dig out some clothes I had put up there earlier in the year. Funny when I put them up there I was tired of them or some were a little too big (I lost some weight after losing my job & my mum). I have just tried them on and 1. most fit again & 2. I like them. Glad I didn't throw them out
    Last edited by determined new ms; 24-09-2016 at 12:44 PM.
    • RicardaRacoon
    • By RicardaRacoon 25th Sep 16, 7:51 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 3,678 Thanks
    RicardaRacoon
    Evening folks

Back from 10 days in the North of Germany, we've spent a day in Bremen, two in Hamburg and the rest of the time was spent on a lovely campground near Husum from where we did a few day trips. The whole business was quite NBI, I bought 5 books (my sister can't pass a bookshop and I always end up buying something too), a few bits and bobs like a teacup, tea and a nice fabric bag and we ended up in a big yarn shop too where I bought some yarn for my Mum and some for charity knitting.

So back to work tomorrow and I can't say that I'm looking forward to it too much... Will have to get a meal plan and shopping list done later on...

determinednewmoneysaver, I don't think your daughter will feel deprived by not having tons of material things, most small kids I know have so many toys they don't even know with which one to play. And besides you could just adjust the rule and buy her second hand thing, so you're not really adding to the amount of stuff that is around. Or you could make her things yourself. My favourite toy for ages was a doll my granny made for me.

Bathory, I make yorkies with vegetable oil, put the tins into the oven to preheat the oil, then pour in the batter and back into the oven. Alwayw worked just fine.

Lyn, books are my downfall... I keep my fingers crossed that you walk out there without books this time.

Have a nice evening everyone!
    Resolution for 2016 "Live better on less" - Less stuff, less waste, less silly spends but more make do and mend and more fun
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

91Posts Today

2,481Users online

Martin's Twitter