Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Aril
    • By Aril 31st Dec 15, 8:07 PM
    • 1,870Posts
    • 16,555Thanks
    Aril
    Not Buying It- A Consumer Holiday 2016
    • 31st Dec 15, 8:07 PM
    Not Buying It- A Consumer Holiday 2016 31st Dec 15 at 8:07 PM
    Following on from Slowdown's fantastic thread here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5125747
    anyone wanting to join me on more adventures sailing the high seas on our friendly ship.

All aboard!

Arilx
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!

Not Buying It 2016
Page 49
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 22nd Sep 16, 6:44 PM
    • 5,565 Posts
    • 29,527 Thanks
    determined new ms

OH drives an old vehicle, owns it outright, maintains and keeps it running. Recent comments from some work colleagues are however, not nice. 'Whats that old piece of **** your driving' being the main one. These are people with new cars, designer clothes and latest smart phones. If anyone picks the berries off nearby bushes they get looks of disgust off the same mob because 'clean' punnets are sold in the shops. Nothing wrong purchasing new or designer stuff but to sneer at others who don't is a bit bad.
    Originally posted by Bathory
    That is so funny Barthory! I have picked tons of blackberries this year (as my freezer can confirm ) and as I have been growing my own I have been keeping a running total of grown or foraged foods. I was absolutely astounded at the price of them and was thinking who on earth would pay for them when they are free and everywhere?! Well now I know!
    Debt to Bank of oh Mum: £4200/£5700
    Wombling 2016 £263.42 Roadkill £27.21
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 22nd Sep 16, 7:27 PM
    • 7,060 Posts
    • 24,107 Thanks
    Primrose
    I drive a 16 year old car of which I'm very fond and I don't care a damn what other people think. I could afford a more modern vehicle but choose not to change it. Just think of all the depreciation people lose the moment they drive a new vehicle onto the road ! I'm sure some people just need to keep up with the Jones to boost their own morale and self confidence. The lucky people are those who don't feel the need to go down this conspicuous consumer spending route.
    Last edited by Primrose; 18-11-2016 at 5:52 PM.
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 22nd Sep 16, 11:03 PM
    • 799 Posts
    • 15,778 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Help! another Book and Bake!
    Hiya all
    Bathory - do you put your tin in the oven with some oil in first so that the oil is hot when you add the batter? Dont use too much oil but ensure it is hot before adding the batter. I heat up the tin in the oven and then bring the batter over in a jug to the oven rather than waltz around the kitchen with a tray of hot oil!

Just to be very obvious and Elf and Safety - I do this so I dont spill hot oil over me, the kitchen or worse still anyone else.

BTW these people with designer XYZ also probably have maxed out credit cards and live on their overdraft!! They are also major polluters of the environment and daft for giving in to the big brands and making someone else very rich while they get poorer!! I prefer to be in control of my life as much as possible - thanks!!

Jackie - we are indeed lucky in this country. I try not to get cross when folk complain and realise that it is all relative to folks life experience. I have several friends from other countries and some of their stories are truely terrible.

So to be pathetic and petty myself (and yes, I am laughing at myself here!) This weekend I have been asked to bake again for the 'Book and Bake' to keep the beautiful old church going in my friend's village. V flattered as there are loads of really skilled WI standard bakers in the village. Baking is not a problem.

My issue is the 'Book' part!! Last time I resolved to not buy any books and came out with 8 !! (4 for my GD; 1 for DS1; 1 for DS2; and 2 for me I really am going to try not to buy any as am out of Happy Stash for the month bar £2.90!! Please send me non-spending vibes on Saturday!!!

Had a great day out yesterday on a coach trip to Barnstaple - anyone who hasnt been should go. A really pretty town - and very good for foodies. We did not have time to go to the museum but identified several restaurants we might go to - the organisation the does these trips does about one a year and my friend treated me to the trip so we are planning to go again next year!
    Nite all
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)

LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 23rd Sep 16, 8:01 AM
    • 13,936 Posts
    • 108,696 Thanks
    JackieO
    Lyneplatinum, solution to your 'book' problem only take a pound with you 'just in case' when you go on Saturday,that way, the worst way it will still leave you with £1.90 of Happy Cash Stash

Be strong and think of your book stash at home I too have a book addiction, and live very close to a second hand book shop I make a point of walking a different way to the shops if I have to, as I know I would be drawn in and there would definitely be a book sitting on the shelves in there saying 'Buy me,Buy me' and to be where there is not only books, but cake, is a severe test of moral fibre for most folk
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.

December budget £60.00 5/6 NSD so far.Spent £9.90 this morning, £50.10 left
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 23rd Sep 16, 8:28 AM
    • 5,565 Posts
    • 29,527 Thanks
    determined new ms
    mmmmmm cake JackieO!
    • Bathory
    • By Bathory 23rd Sep 16, 9:30 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 2,681 Thanks
    Bathory
    Lynplatinum, thanks for the tips. I don't think I had the oil hot enough plus I opened the oven door to see how they were getting on. I've not made puddings before but I'll give them another go this Sunday as we are back to roast chicken now the weather is cooling down. This usually gives us 3 days of meals, depending on the demands of the gannets cats , plus a soup.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 24th Sep 16, 12:33 AM
    • 13,936 Posts
    • 108,696 Thanks
    JackieO
    definitely Yorkshire pudding tins must be fairly hot when you put the batter in I also put the batter jug into the fridge to get it really cold before pouring into the trays.hotter the tins and colder the batter the better they will rise, I like yorkies to be like mini top hats

• dND
    • By dND 24th Sep 16, 8:05 AM
    • 396 Posts
    • 5,401 Thanks
    dND
    Lynplatinum, thanks for the tips. I don't think I had the oil hot enough plus I opened the oven door to see how they were getting on. I've not made puddings before but I'll give them another go this Sunday as we are back to roast chicken now the weather is cooling down. This usually gives us 3 days of meals, depending on the demands of the gannets cats , plus a soup.
    Originally posted by Bathory
    I think you said you used olive oil??? If so, that is also a problem; olive oil can't be raised to a high enough temperature without smoking and the charred oil is thought to be carcinogenic.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/christinebyrne/things-you-shouldnt-be-cooking-with-olive-oil?utm_term=.cqBZAm652#.bm0roG6zJ

Good luck with the Yorkshires - it took me quite a time to master and I found it really dependant on the oven and which dishes I was using to cook them in! xx

• determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 24th Sep 16, 8:53 AM
    • 5,565 Posts
    • 29,527 Thanks
    determined new ms
    I struggle with yorkshires! But I keep trying one day I will get there....

Had a mini consumerist achievement on Thursday I received my 1st pay slip and I have run out of hair mousse. In my lunch break I decided to walk into town and go to savers as I have been recommended some shampoo/conditioners for curly hair, so thought I would get them. A couple of minutes into the walk I decided I already have several bottles of shampoo & conditioner already and I could go a day or two without washing my hair. So I turned around and went for a walk in the park instead interesting to see payday = go spend some money! Yesterday I picked up the mousse and nothing else really seems buying things is so automatic, even if I don't actually need anything!

Thanks for the pep talk/encouragement, those feelings have now passed. I have just been up in the loft to dig out some clothes I had put up there earlier in the year. Funny when I put them up there I was tired of them or some were a little too big (I lost some weight after losing my job & my mum). I have just tried them on and 1. most fit again & 2. I like them. Glad I didn't throw them out
    Last edited by determined new ms; 24-09-2016 at 12:44 PM.
    • RicardaRacoon
    • By RicardaRacoon 25th Sep 16, 7:51 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 3,788 Thanks
    RicardaRacoon
    Evening folks

Back from 10 days in the North of Germany, we've spent a day in Bremen, two in Hamburg and the rest of the time was spent on a lovely campground near Husum from where we did a few day trips. The whole business was quite NBI, I bought 5 books (my sister can't pass a bookshop and I always end up buying something too), a few bits and bobs like a teacup, tea and a nice fabric bag and we ended up in a big yarn shop too where I bought some yarn for my Mum and some for charity knitting.

So back to work tomorrow and I can't say that I'm looking forward to it too much... Will have to get a meal plan and shopping list done later on...

determinednewmoneysaver, I don't think your daughter will feel deprived by not having tons of material things, most small kids I know have so many toys they don't even know with which one to play. And besides you could just adjust the rule and buy her second hand thing, so you're not really adding to the amount of stuff that is around. Or you could make her things yourself. My favourite toy for ages was a doll my granny made for me.

Bathory, I make yorkies with vegetable oil, put the tins into the oven to preheat the oil, then pour in the batter and back into the oven. Alwayw worked just fine.

Lyn, books are my downfall... I keep my fingers crossed that you walk out there without books this time.

Have a nice evening everyone!
    Resolution for 2016 "Live better on less" - Less stuff, less waste, less silly spends but more make do and mend and more fun
    • RicardaRacoon
    • By RicardaRacoon 15th Oct 16, 2:51 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 3,788 Thanks
    RicardaRacoon
    Hi everyone!

Very quiet around here at the moment. I hope everyone is well!

I just came home from my weekly groceries round and added up everything for this month, have spent just over 45£ in total and have everything in until next Friday. Ok, I didn't had to buy any staple things like sugar or pasta and have been out twice last weekend and this weekend, but still have spent very little compared to other months. Making everything from scratch really makes a diference.

Besides it has been quite NBI since I came home from holidays, only bought some yarn for Christmas pressies and some knitting needles. I now have double pointed ones in every size from 4 to 14 and circular needles from 000 to 11, so I should be fine for most projects I plan in the future. 2016 is definitively the year I buy knitting needles :-)
    Plus went out with friends yesterday, a meal out and then cinema.

Finished cleaning the flat and got the balcony ready for winter (whic mainly meant getting rid of all the death plants...) and will now sit outside for a while until it gets cold. Might be the last time this year that I can sit on my balcony as I have very little sun out there and it gets too cool quite quickly. But I found a way to knit outside in autum, as soon my balcony gets too dark I pack my knitting and sit on a bench on the graveyard in the sun. So far noone had complained about me doing that :-)

I'm currently lurking around this old fashioned wing chair from IKE@. I need a more comfortable spot to knit or read as my couch is starting to get very wonky and I haven't yet found a new one I like and I talk about getting that chair every since it came out a couple of years ago. Problem is that I first have to fix the lighting situation in my living room as the only place with good light is my couch and I don't have a hook-up on or near the ceiling to hang a lamp. So I think I will get the chair and then set myself a small budget for a little redecoration with another lamp and maybe a new blanket and pillow or fabric to sew a pillow case. Have to make sure that I don't get all crazy at IKE@...

So, I'm off to the balcony!

have a nice Saturday everyone!
    Resolution for 2016 "Live better on less" - Less stuff, less waste, less silly spends but more make do and mend and more fun
    • flubberyzing
    • By flubberyzing 15th Oct 16, 6:44 PM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 6,244 Thanks
    flubberyzing
    Hello! I've been reading through this thread with interest! I've been on a NBI kick for a few months now, and just today realised how far I'd come!

I had to be at the local theatre for 8:30 this morning for a concert I was singing in. It was my first singing gig for about 5 years, and I had to wear all-black. My first thought was to buy a new black top, but I had recollections that surely I had one from previous performances all those years ago, so I had a rummage and found one buried deep in the wardrobe! That's money saved!

And while I was walking to the theatre with the larks this morning, I nearly went into Starbucks, but stopped myself! And on the way home I nearly went into Waterstones, but then remembered my book stash at home and stopped myself. Success!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 15th Oct 16, 11:59 PM
    • 13,936 Posts
    • 108,696 Thanks
    JackieO
    Well done for not doing what you 'nearly' did flubberyzing. its often a case of stop, think and ask yourself do I need it NO ,can I do without it YES and walking on

I had a yen for a quick nip across to the shop for some chocolate this afternoon ,but I resisted the urge and went and cleaned my teeth instead and lost the inclination so no silly spending for me today

• Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 18th Oct 16, 11:39 PM
    • 799 Posts
    • 15,778 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Living with friends!!
    Hiya all

Being very NBI as am staying with friends this week - so am being watered, fed, heated and entertained - not at my expense!! As well as having excellent company!

So spent weekly foodie budget on bringing some unusual beers and wine up from Cornwall up for my friends to try!!

flubberyzing - it does become a habit in the end - I now loathe spending any money!! Only part with it with a smile on my face when it benefits a charity or fund for an old community building - such as my friend's village's Book and Bake sale for the preservation of the church and church hall, which. along with the local pub are the focal points of the social life of the village (gardening club and seed swap; craft club; play group; book group;weight loss group; playgroup - they are always busy!)

Ricarda - I am getting my small garden/yard ready for winter too!! Have no lawn or borders but a small yard with lots of pots - nicer than it sounds!!! So am planing to plant one of them up with bulbs to promise spring!! I was gonna do one with tulips in the middle then a ring of daffs; then a ring crocus (or crocii???); then a ring of snowdrops on the outside!!!!n Hope this idea works!! I'll come back and let you know!!
    BTW - I bought the bulb v NBI from the pound shop!!!!
    The week before I had been round garden centre where bulbs were 3 bags for £10 - we'll see how they do!
    Nite all
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)

LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 19th Oct 16, 8:48 AM
    • 13,936 Posts
    • 108,696 Thanks
    JackieO
    Garden centres are nice to browse but not to buy I prefer to get my bulbs from Poundland and have had some good results from a cheapo bag.Afterall you can get just as many duds from an expensive bag as from a cheap one, as its not until the spring when you see if they are OK

I have a large pot on the patio at the back of my house that is very prolific for flowering and four years in a row I have had some lovely blooms from them and they only cost me a quid.being in pots I can leave them alone to die back to nothing rather than be tying them up or trimming them when the spring is over and I think it helps quite a bit. I have several pots of geraniums that have been put to bed for the winter as well and covered with some bubble wrap to protect them from the cold ,although some of them are still blooming still so I'll leave those a bit longer.I have about 75ft of garden and most laid to grass but the base of an old green house at the bottom is filled up with compost so my flowers go in there and my gardener keeps them nice for me as bending isn't very good with my creaky bones.but the pots on the patio I can manage myself .Down both sides of the garden I have flowering shrubs which take it in turn to blossom so I always have something to look at out of the kitchen window .I used to love gardening when I was more mobile and bendy, but between us my gardener mick keep it looking nice and he is such a nice chap and will always plant anything I fancy .

I do grow a few herbs in the conservatory but veggies I can buy so cheaply in Aldi's as there is only me to feed its not worth growing my own anymore. But I do have an exchange system with my neighbour and will swap a sponge cake for some of her surplus stocks when she has a glut
    She has plant holders even on her walls that grow trailing strawberries and tomatoes ,she is a very keen gardener and uses her every available inch of space bless her

keeping a tight rein on my purse this month as I am off for a long weekend next month to the Isle of Wight with the family. Today I have a small top-up shop to do for fresh stuff and it will be only my second shop this month

• determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 19th Oct 16, 11:36 AM
    • 5,565 Posts
    • 29,527 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Hi everyone! Good to see ppl are still sticking with it! So yesterday saw 4 months since embarking on NBI although I have made a few purchases since I was last on here:

lo 2 long sleeved tops, 1 G4p jumper and a pair of leggins
    tights, vests & socks for lo
    me tights and a wolly hat (borrowed friend's discount card so it was £7 instead of £12

These are the only *new* things I have purchased in 4 months

Becoming so much easier to see subconscious drivers and not act on them. Was really cold the other night and wearing oh's hoodie. Decided I *needed* a man's big baggy hoodie to keep me warm. Went looking in CS'. Saw one but after trying it on really thinking about if I need this? I have 3 hoodies and although they aren't oversized and baggy decided these are sufficient Then when I went to a clothes swap at the weekend, amongst the things I got I managed to find a chunky wool cardi which is just perfect and so warm

I now when I think of something I want - be it pers or say for groceries I write it on a list and pin to the fridge and then later I go back to it and see if it can be done without/whether something else can be used. Often with food lists I then whittle it down to less items.

4 months has flown by can easily see this will be easy for the rest of the year.
    • RicardaRacoon
    • By RicardaRacoon 19th Oct 16, 6:03 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 3,788 Thanks
    RicardaRacoon
    Evening folks

am feeling a bit under the weather, don't know if I will get a cold... Plus I'm very tired, so will have a very lazy evening in bed. When I was a child I invented a little game for when I wasn't feeling well or for when I needed some me-time. I called it "I'm on a boat". My bed was the boat, which I had to load with all the things I would need for the next hour or so until I would see land again.
    So still whenever I have a lazy evening in bed with a book or a movie and a lot of snacks and tea on the nightstand so that I don't have to go up to get something for a while I pretend that my bed is a boat.
    Tonights boat activities will include drinking loads of tea, muching bread with butter followed by an apple and some bisquits, knitting and watching "THe railway children".

flubber, very well done on resisting the temptation!

Lyn, sounds lovely with your spring-flower plan! We expect photographs of them blooming in the NBI 2017 tread!

determinednewmoneysaver, I think you did very well and after all winter is coming, you have a growing child which can't just wear the things from last winter but you still managed to buy very little so far!

Have a nice evening everyone!
    • Bathory
    • By Bathory 19th Oct 16, 6:22 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 2,681 Thanks
    Bathory
    Hi, not a lot to report. I managed to get the weekly shopping in at just under £30 for 2 of us + 2 cats, although I will need to go to the butchers tomorrow. Its rare that I can get it under £50 a week so this was good for us.

I've not been buying much that isn't essential. I did however, pick up a 'Next' aqua coloured handbag in a BHF for £2. I decided to step out of my comfort zone with this colour as its fairly bright and a good 80% of what I wear is black.

The shops are now full of Christmas so that should help me stay out of them even more. I've heard that some adverts have started being shown even though its mid-October (don't watch TV thankfully). I'm sure adverts use to start in December years ago.

I'm going to try and stop dying my hair again as so much silver is now coming through, (very noticeable as my natural colour is dark brown) but the constant dyeing every month is really starting to ruin it. 30 odd years of colouring needs to come to an end, hope I can hold out and not keep caving in.

RicardaRacoon, There's a lot of bugs going round at the moment, hope you feel better soon.
    • 117pauline
    • By 117pauline 30th Oct 16, 9:38 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 4,014 Thanks
    117pauline
    At the beginning of the year I decided to only buy reduced cost plants and I have been unbelievably lucky with few deaths and some amazing recoveries!

Also I have at least a hundred self sown violas which are flourishing. I have moved them from their random places and planted them up with love - at least that doesn't cost anything.

My garden is still flowering madly and looked lovely today as it was rather dark and dreary here. My roses think they want to flower for the third time this year but I have given them a stern talking too.

I bought a groupon voucher for a Dutch nursery and have ordered some black lilies with red stamen and a beautfiul shrub whose name escapes me.

Did anyone else get some extra Sainsburys voucher points? With a little care, I managed to accumulate £42.50 worth of nectar points which I will double up in a couple of weeks. Yes, I did have to spend a little more but my car is full of petrol so I am pleased it worked out well for me.

All my toiletries etc are very tidily organised but I have now put some on my bedside cabinet so I see them and so use them up. I may not have to buy shampoo and conditioner until 2022 at the earliest! All the tiny hotel type size I have put in the bathroom and they are going down really nicely.
    Life is Change, Growth is Optional - Choose Wisely

Not Buying It 2016 and beyond
    Better Than Before
    • Bathory
    • By Bathory 18th Nov 16, 9:54 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 2,681 Thanks
    Bathory
    Good morning, hope everyone is ok? We woke up to heavy snow this morning and then around 6.30am had a bit of thunder and lightning mixed in as well.

I recently had an impulse buy which was the m&s beauty calendar but ended up returning it. After studying what was it contained there wasn't much I could use with having very problematic skin. I also had to take back an item of clothing, not because I didn't like it, but the sizing is way off. I remember being able to go in this store years ago, pick something up and and be confident in knowing that it would fit. Its not like this anymore.

We have decided to get a real tree this year for a change. The only decs in this house for the past few years has been tinsel wrapped around mirrors, picture frames and the kitchen clock. I'm still 'not buying it' with regards to lots of seasonal tat in the stores, but want to make it a bit more special as we both had a bad time towards end of last year dealing with bereavement and illness.

Anyway, I have to go out to do some errands and the snow is starting up again so I'd best get on with it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

275Posts Today

1,314Users online

Martin's Twitter