Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greent
    • By greent 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    • 6,505Posts
    • 65,655Thanks
    greent
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 30th Dec 15 at 12:31 PM
    Link to 2015: thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5146700

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5278/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1259.72/£500 PAYDOX17 £12239/£10k Decluttered 1870/2017 items
Page 461
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 16th Jul 17, 11:14 AM
    • 2,182 Posts
    • 22,327 Thanks
    mothernerd
    I got the book from the library yesterday. Have tried many times but will get there. Just started looking after my mum (usually go to make her dinner and stay until after tea - up to about 9pm sometimes). Going to do shopping, laundry and odd jobs (within my limited energy).

I have been cutting back tree branches so that someone else can paint the garden fence and posts. A bit of sawing then a little sit down, but have chopped back shrubs and trees and then chopped the branches into bits to fit in the green bin.

Moved a dining table I told her she didn't have room for, into a corner of the room so that the floor to ceiling cupboards can be accessed. last week I sorted through two carrier bags full of photos (not many thrown, but in boxes with each different holiday separated).

Going to work on people (+ weddings/ christenings/ birthdays etc this week) but asked on Friday if there were more holiday snaps - yes 'somewhere'. To be fair mum had very little to do with her move to the bungalow and her partner's family have stuffed things anywhere and everywhere.

Back to the cupboards and found two more large carriers plus some albums (3 months touring round spain in a large camper van) and some cake decorating books (original tracings and photos of cakes mum has made + a part work set).

Every time something goes back it is in a smaller container (found 2 bundles of wooden coat hangers she had told me to take but previously the doors only opened a smidgen and I could only reach the ones hung up, not the ones on the floor.

On Thursday I came home with 4 empty suitcases and a wheeled shopper to go to the charity shops (one suitcase of 'our' family photos was in the shed). Found a lot of photos I had never seen (mainly of my brothers playing with my sons, when mum was minding them), a rare 'good' photo of me taken when DS1 was a baby and mum's photo of her and her friend holding the rugby league cup flanked by two players (insurance dinner do).

My stuff is a bit neglected. I help out at a craft club for people of varying abilities and some one had said rationing must be introduced (one person had spent £18 on shop bought card toppers). I took home some card scraps that were already cut into + a few donated magazines and mainly using 'waste' products I have cut stars, hearts, flowers, made pairs of little birds and flowers with button centres, gathered random leaflets wherever I saw them if they had nice pictures and good strong colours. Spent most of a week chopping, pasting and sewing but this week I took in a 3 drawer A4 set of drawers filled with card toppers/ borders and pictures to be cut up.

I haven't finished yet (but plan to slow my pace) but still have piles of ideas/ templates/ individual shapes/ borders and bits to work on (brought home two large part works on cake decoration and all the empty photo packets (silver/ white/ grey marble/ rich blue and yellow - all glossy paper). Have done half an hour sorting this morning (couple of hours slicing pictures on my cutting board last night and putting the waste into the paper sack - we now have a bin but I find it helpful to have the old sack by me when sorting any paperwork) and will do a bit more later.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy
    NST Dec #4 SFD 5/15 Food £34/£100 Travel £4.30/£50 DIY £6/£30 Hol £50/£60 Xmas £24.75/£60 No Debt No mortgage Dec Clear out 409/2017
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 16th Jul 17, 12:09 PM
    • 1,028 Posts
    • 23,170 Thanks
    MMF007
    Oh Firebubble well done!
    It is a great feeling, isn't it?!
    Great craft advice from Mothernerd, and wow, that is a lot of photos to deal,with!

I forgot to report that while i was dusting (yes, finally got round to it) I breezily kondo'd a couple of pot pourri holders and contents, and a small basket that I had kept as a replacement pot pourri holder. I have had them ages but it felt so good to release them. Their time had been and gone!

Yesterday's reccy of the kitchen cupboards brought to light a bag of soya flour that is just past best before date. Coincidently I had read a lovely recipe from Yorkslass on the Love food hate waste thread and thought i could use some in that (a cougette and other veg bake). Kondo'd a happy hour in the kitchen and produced a low carb tray bake with plenty of healthy ingredients.

That led to me thinking that I may make a low carb chocolate cake. Recipes now neatly filed so i shall lay my hands on appropriate one in a few mins and give it a go. I have all the ingredients in my tidy cupboards

Still not re-visited clothes categories. Feeling the need to do so but am holding off til the new smaller sized me emerges. I am meeting friends for lunch in 3 week's time so aiming to have achieved total of 3 stone weight loss by then. The knowledge that I can release more clothes as i reduce is a real spur!! I almost bought a light weight poncho in delicate cotton this morning but suddenly remembered i have one, tidily rolled in a drawer. As GQ says, I shall be shopping from my wardrobe shortly!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 16th Jul 17, 4:04 PM
    • 4,758 Posts
    • 20,754 Thanks
    Slinky
    We took a trip to the tip late yesterday with the stuff we'd released from the shed and garage last weekend. It was nearly 7pm and the chap working at the tip said they don't have a second hand shop there anymore (or he couldn't be !!!!!d to deal with them at that time of night) and to chuck our loungers into the general waste. Couldn't do that, far too wasteful, so came home and offered them on a Facebook page in return for a small cash donation for a local charity. Somebody is coming to collect them this afternoon, fingers crossed.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 16th Jul 17, 4:38 PM
    • 11,426 Posts
    • 219,593 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Oh well done, firebubble, what an achievement.

Agree about the sunloungers, it'd be a shame to have them go to waste, especially at this time of the year. The one from Mum's loft had its plastic arms turned yellow with age from being stored away for so long, but someone was pleased to buy it for a few £££ as theirs had broken.

Went to the tip today and poured a bottle of spent cooking oil into the recycling receptacle, the bottle was brought back to be washed up and recycled. I've also finished up one bottle of bath jollop which I actually had from Xmas 2015 () and then moved on to Dec 2016's offering from the same pal, which I've discovered after one use isn't my thang.

That can go out for donation, barely been touched, and someone else can get the benefit.

Overall, things here are disapearing due to natural wastage, such as used toiletries, worn-out clothing, finished books etc. I also have a few things in other categories which I am keeping an eye on to see if I will get enough use out of them to justify their existance.

I have also made some acquisitions, which isn't terribly KM. In my defense, m'lud, the six items of clothing and 14 pieces of costume jewellery collectively cost me less than £5 and fit into one carrier bag and are already in service and bringing me much joy.

Joyous because they're smaller than I have been wearing and the continuing steady weight-loss means I can shop for things in my proper size again. Yippee!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Slinky
    • By Slinky 16th Jul 17, 5:49 PM
    • 4,758 Posts
    • 20,754 Thanks
    Slinky
    Yay, got £20 for the loungers for charity, and a large amount of space in the shed and loft. We never got around to getting them out to use as they were stuck in the back of the shed behind everything else with the cushions right over the back in the loft.
    • WeeMidgie
    • By WeeMidgie 16th Jul 17, 6:39 PM
    • 222 Posts
    • 4,392 Thanks
    WeeMidgie
    That's great Slinky, a good cause supported and useable items kept out of landfill - and off your hands quickly too! Win win all round!! Well done.
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 17th Jul 17, 12:13 PM
    • 993 Posts
    • 16,696 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Two low bookshelves were moved from the landing to our bedroom, and today exbil will come to help dh with repapering / repainting the stairwell and landing. It's a job that's long overdue; we hired someone to do this when we moved in, and he made a below-standard job of it, but we didn't have the energy and money to fix it until now. I actually like having the bookshelves in our bedroom One of them was very hard to get to on the landing, behind the banisters.

I've already spotted some books that can go (What not to wear, anyone?), and I want to rearrange the other books so the children's books are all together on one shelf (or they can go downstairs with the other books and the toys, hmmmm).

Pondering my marriage.... not sparking joy at the moment. DH blamed me a few weeks ago for not being able to calm him down when he convinced himself he had some terrible disease. He can give himself a heartrate in rest of 200, and blood pressure of 200/110, just by thinking about going to a doctor. He also had some pain on the left hand side of his thorax. This pain has come up about every other year since I've known him, and this time we decided to let the doctors get to the bottom of it. The results from the x-ray and the blood test came back absolutely normal, he is perfectly healthy, even improved from blood tests taken 3 years ago. And, the minute the results came, his bp dropped to normal, his heartrate slowed down to normal, and his pain is gone. So, he is hypochondriac, and blaming me; the look of disdain he gave me is still very vivid in my mind. I'm not sure I can live with it.
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7094,49= £ 6309.50 Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 17th Jul 17, 7:09 PM
    • 4,991 Posts
    • 52,305 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    I'm struggling with under the spare room bed. There is a big bag of soft toys. I got rid of 5 which I bought over the last few years. But, there are about 10 which are childhood toys - I even remembered their names. I lost Mum 15 years ago and Dad a 3 weeks ago so maybe I need to give myself a bit more time with them? Can't believe how upset I am sitting here crying and typing - how silly over some very worn out soft toys - and I'm the wrong side of 50!
    Originally posted by MrsPorridge
    I just had to send you some (((HUGS))) on reading this MrsPorridge. I hope you don't mind I think you should keep the toys for now and perhaps look at them again in a few months.

Siebrie Just read your post above mine, and sending you some (((HUGS))) as well. It sounds as though you need some x
    Last edited by ivyleaf; 17-07-2017 at 7:52 PM.
    • 12months
    • By 12months 17th Jul 17, 7:36 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 570 Thanks
    12months
    Didn't want to read and run Siebrie so sending you some ((hugs)) X
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 17th Jul 17, 8:04 PM
    • 1,028 Posts
    • 23,170 Thanks
    MMF007
    Oh Siebrie, that's not good. No marriage , or any partnership, is perfect and I hope this passes.

Do you think your (D)H may be worried about something else and it translates into health worries from time to time? I have a friend who was hospitalised twice in a month with crippling stomach pains. Nothing found in any tests. Happened when he was totally stressed about an important life event. That was 32 years ago and he now holds down a very senior role in a large corporation, ie, he is still well !
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • Callisto
    • By Callisto 17th Jul 17, 11:53 PM
    • 924 Posts
    • 3,700 Thanks
    Callisto
    Hi all, I would love to join in with KM-ing. I've read the first and second book and love the idea of concentrating on what to keep. I'm only just starting now, and have done my underwear drawer so far. Have half a bag of rags, so that can go to the charity shop when full.

Fed up of everywhere being a cluttery mess, and having to move stuff to get to other stuff, grrrr! Every cupboard and drawer is full. I've been decluttering on and off for several years, but I've stopped collecting pointless ornamenty stuff (and sold most of my collection), stopped buying magazines/newspapers and have previously got my paperwork down to one box full. Doesn't help that I am currently having an influx of furniture, got a lovely old bureau from Eb@y, and bought two sofas from a local selling group, so old sofa and a bookcase to get rid of.

Don't have much time at the moment as I am on my last degree module with the Open University, which finishes in October, still need to complete two more assignments and the mega project, so will try and fit in small categories around my study.

I am doing a car boot sale in August, so have been gathering stuff together for it in the spare room. It's held in a local dog rescue's field, so anything that doesn't sell will be donated to the dog rescue to sell in their charity shop.

Today I've sold 16 books to webuyb00ks, so those will be sent tomorrow (along with a cardboard box and bubble wrap from packaging stash), and also recycled the box that my car stereo came in. Also plenty to list on Eb@y and need to finish catching up with this thread too.

• VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 18th Jul 17, 10:02 AM
    • 4,894 Posts
    • 70,527 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Hugs Sieberie.

Hello all - back from my hols. We went to Southern Africa (Zimbabwe and Botswana) and have spent 3 weeks travelling in a 4x4 with 2 tents on the roof! Not every night was camping but we didn't spend more than 2 nights in the same place so travelling light was a must.

I have said before that i travel very light - this time i had a cabin sized suitcase (that weighed 9.6kg when i checked it in) and a 25l rucksack. This proved invaluable as, every night in the tent, suitcases lived on the owners seat in the car so a big case would have been a problem. three of us went and each had a similar sized bag. But mine was the only one KM folded - it opens in half and i can instantly see what i have in there. Finding things was not a problem. OH and DS had more issues with theirs

Our total checked in luggage for the three of us was 30.2 kg - the allowance for one person is 32 and some definitely made the most of their allowance. I still bought things back unworn.. Our luggage also contained 3 pairs of binoculars, 3 guidebooks and a load of maps. Sorry if i sound smug...

It's cos I am
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 18th Jul 17, 11:04 AM
    • 4,758 Posts
    • 20,754 Thanks
    Slinky
    Hugs Siebrie, I hope it's just a temporary feeling and life improves for you all.

Has anybody seen Mila? Haven't seen her post for ages.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 18th Jul 17, 11:24 AM
    • 4,758 Posts
    • 20,754 Thanks
    Slinky
    I've just noticed this Sticky re disappearing threads at the top of the forum, given the length of this one (and the title 2016) would it be as well to get greent (or somebody?) to start a new thread and ask for this one to be locked in case we lose it? It would appear it can be wiped out by too many accidental/real spam reports, and once lost cannot be reinstated.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5680765
    • Fen1
    • By Fen1 18th Jul 17, 1:59 PM
    • 1,344 Posts
    • 4,604 Thanks
    Fen1
    Siebrie, my heart goes out to you. Living with someone who views you with such contempt, even if only briefly, is deeply troubling. You have often written of how your OH has little comprehension nor appreciation for all you do as a wife and mother. How do you bear this? You also write that when the good times are good you get along well together, but is this really enough?
    How does OH behave around the children? Does he turn on them?
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 18th Jul 17, 4:15 PM
    • 11,426 Posts
    • 219,593 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Nice one, VJsMum.

I travelled around NZ for 6 weeks with a small rolling suitcase (cabin sized) and every single person involved with luggage, from check in staff to bus drivers etc etc commented favourably on it. On the return journey, it even had space for several books, including one doorstopper hardback.

Heck, I've seen ladies backpacking with suitcases they could have curled up and gone to sleep inside. And not just petite oriental girls, even a strapping wench like me could have nested inside them. Can't figure out why you would need so much Stuff on holiday. After all, it's hardly a break if you take it all with you, is it?

One of my fave packing tips is silk. You can fold a silk garment up and slip it into a sandwich bag and its weight and volume are both neglible. Handwashes easily and more robust than people imagine - the mongol horde wore silk shirts to invade Europe from the east, and if it's good enough for Genghis Khan, then it's good enough for me.

Nipped into a couple of cookshop-type places recently with a view to buying a smallish cast-iron frypan, some wooden spatulas and something like my L & L salad pot but made of stainless steel.

Came away with the spatulas. You apparently have to take out a second mortgage for new cast iron ware, assuming you can find what you're looking for anywhere. Who knew? My big cast iron frypan cost me £1 from a bootsale, better keep hunting similar places for a smaller one.

I had a LBM when fossicking unsucessfully for the metal container - why not use one of the 0.5 litre Le P@rfait jars? Several of them are idling in the cupboards, so that's that sorted.

Oh, and my first bit of kondo-ing when I came in this afternoon was a bright green cricket from my bedroom. I debated leaving it there as snack for the large spider I've seen on the ceiling (different places, obviously alive) on two consecutive days, but I thought that might be a bit too darwinian. So I captured it in a glass and took it outside.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• silvasava
    • By silvasava 18th Jul 17, 7:34 PM
    • 3,290 Posts
    • 52,431 Thanks
    silvasava
    I've just released a lovely little cricket out of my bedroom window - he was much bigger than the spider!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 18th Jul 17, 8:58 PM
    • 11,426 Posts
    • 219,593 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Mine was very cute, too. Actually, is it crickets which are bright green and grasshoppers sort of brown? This was bright green and was perched on my clothes airer, the one I have leaning like a ladder. I was worried it would ping off somewhere before I could catch it.

Some old hands may recall my Year of the Locust, when I started a New Year about 3-4 years ago with a large non-native locust in my sitting room followed, in the next few weeks with hot & cold running crickets.

Someone, not a million miles away, was being careless with live food for an exotic pet, apparently.

Good job I got it out of here because my spindly spiders are sure to eat the proper spider (they do that) and then the beggars might have ganged up on Jiminy.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• shanks77
    • By shanks77 19th Jul 17, 3:13 AM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 9,668 Thanks
    shanks77
    Nice one, VJsMum.

I travelled around NZ for 6 weeks with a small rolling suitcase (cabin sized) and every single person involved with luggage, from check in staff to bus drivers etc etc commented favourably on it. On the return journey, it even had space for several books, including one doorstopper hardback.

Heck, I've seen ladies backpacking with suitcases they could have curled up and gone to sleep inside. And not just petite oriental girls, even a strapping wench like me could have nested inside them. Can't figure out why you would need so much Stuff on holiday. After all, it's hardly a break if you take it all with you, is it?
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    Free board and lodgings if you want to try and show my mum how to pack lightly. Think it is easier to herd cats but if your up for the challenge let me know lol
    Last edited by shanks77; 20-07-2017 at 9:32 AM.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 19th Jul 17, 7:21 AM
    • 11,369 Posts
    • 64,790 Thanks
    kittie
    siebrie, another bend in the road, a crossroads. Maybe your OH can see a hypnotist as a last ditch chance, he needs to get hypochodria out of his brain so you can make a good life together, going forward

I am concentrating on wardrobe, still. Putting items in, yes but hm and now all mixing and matching and co-ordinating. Items have to come out and they will, took two out last week but I need out to go as fast as in. The weather is the problem, too warm for long sleeves but long sleeves will be needed. I am eventually aiming for a couple of cardigans to go with half sleeves, a cross between short and long. Its a work in progress but I am enjoying the journey
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

330Posts Today

2,243Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin