Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greent
    • By greent 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    • 6,196Posts
    • 62,730Thanks
    greent
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 30th Dec 15 at 12:31 PM
    Link to 2015: thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5146700

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £4151/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1152.39/£500 PAYDOX17 £11333/£10k Decluttered 1515/2017 items
Page 460
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 14th Jul 17, 8:17 AM
    • 765 Posts
    • 19,736 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Forgive me 12 Months, but if it belongs to your adult children then surely it should be their problem? In fact I'm not sure you should even be sorting out what's rubbish. If they want to sell it then they should do the work; give them a deadline for removing it or it'll be donated. Any guilt about 'too good to throw away' should be theirs, too!
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 14th Jul 17, 8:33 AM
    • 1,594 Posts
    • 2,222 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    I'm struggling with under the spare room bed. There is a big bag of soft toys. I got rid of 5 which I bought over the last few years. But, there are about 10 which are childhood toys - I even remembered their names. I lost Mum 15 years ago and Dad a 3 weeks ago so maybe I need to give myself a bit more time with them? Can't believe how upset I am sitting here crying and typing - how silly over some very worn out soft toys - and I'm the wrong side of 50!
    Getting back on Track
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 14th Jul 17, 8:42 AM
    • 3,164 Posts
    • 50,408 Thanks
    silvasava
    Mrs Porridge - there's a very strong emotional attachment for you, especially in your current circumstances. I would just give them a cuddle and leave them for a while.
    Hugs to you and condolences on the loss of your Dad. Just be gentle with yourself at the moment
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 14th Jul 17, 10:54 AM
    • 920 Posts
    • 15,529 Thanks
    Siebrie
    there are about 10 which are childhood toys - I even remembered their names. I lost Mum 15 years ago and Dad a 3 weeks ago so maybe I need to give myself a bit more time with them? Can't believe how upset I am sitting here crying and typing - how silly over some very worn out soft toys - and I'm the wrong side of 50!
    Originally posted by MrsPorridge

Give them pride of place! If you are so attached to them, you should not be keeping them in a bag under the bed; enjoy them, look at them, cuddle them, remember everything happy about your childhood and parents.
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 6466,86= £ 5589.79
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • wort
    • By wort 14th Jul 17, 11:04 AM
    • 325 Posts
    • 6,186 Thanks
    wort
    Mrs Porridge, my sympathies, I would give yourself time especially if you are new to kondo, it's easier to start with less emotional items, tbh if it's just ten soft toys keep them for now, and the crying is helpful.
    I'm still sorting hubby's things and know I'll keep coming up against items that hold memories but I know to keep only what brings joy, I don't need a mountain of items to remember him.
    The funeral director came yesterday , to bring him home ,his ashes, which was very emotional, I haven't decided what to do with them so they are on the dresser in the bedroom, so I can say goodnight and morning to him.
    I have our wedding rings and photos that is enough for me, I will always have him with me inside.

12 months , I had my daughters things in the attic that had been there for years, when she moved out I got them down for her to take with her, and she said I don't want them!!
    So tell them they're there give them a time frame say a week? You may be surprised.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • WeeMidgie
    • By WeeMidgie 14th Jul 17, 12:39 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 4,309 Thanks
    WeeMidgie
    I agree re adult children's boxes of stuff. I kept my daughter's stuff in storage for quite a few years. One time she was home (she lives overseas), she went through her boxes and 95% went out!! (charity shop/recycling/binned).

I'm off to drop a bag at the CS today, then out for a walk.

A wee update on my simplifying experiment in reducing the crockery and cutlery in circulation in the kitchen. I live solo, and very rarely have visitors (lack of space) so I initially reduced to one of everything. This was a bit restrictive, so the current balance is 2 cereal bowls, 2 pasta bowls, 1 dinner plate and 2 side plates; 4 mugs, and 2 of everything for cutlery. The spare crockery and cutlery all fits neatly into a smallish box which takes up very little room in the under stairs cupboard. It feels much more manageable.
    • Fen1
    • By Fen1 14th Jul 17, 2:16 PM
    • 1,320 Posts
    • 4,225 Thanks
    Fen1
    The Golden Rule of KM is "do not touch other people's stuff". You are free to sort your own things, but other people's are sacrosanct. How would you like it if OH/Mum/child chucked out your things ( even forgotten things in the attic) without even so much as a heads-up?
    Your property is your own, no matter how old you are, no matter how long-forgotten the items. Getting rid of other people's stuff is at best rude, and at worst a deep betrayal.
    To reference GQ: look at her mum's story to understand the impact of discarding other people's stuff.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 14th Jul 17, 4:48 PM
    • 11,050 Posts
    • 60,925 Thanks
    kittie
    Bras!! I have many lovely bras, several rarely worn because I tried them for a whole day hence could not send them back, Very pretty quality bras but I only found my actual size yesterday, after trying many combinations for years. Finding the right size came from me doing a full measure for sewing for myself, underbust, high bust etc. Meantime struggling with a bra with straps that kept falling down, then another with a bigger band size and gaps in the cups etc. I always thought I was 42C and no way was I going to get 38E but after using a few calculator sites, all getting the same size, I thought no harm done and I got myself one cheap 38E from a well known lingerie company. I put it on today and suddenly I have two cup-filling boobs and a band that sits snug and straps that do not fall and underwires that do not dig. So I am biting the bullet and going to KM my beautiful wrong size bras. Has anyone heard of a charity called `smalls for all`? I will not be selling any of them. It has taken me a good 12 years to find my bra size and don`t mention being measured because they were the worst

sigh, what a waste but if a dedicated charity can use them, well and good
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 14th Jul 17, 6:26 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 1,116 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    Handbags
    If anyone wants to get some nice leather handbags that fold completely flat www.the original gift.co.uk item no 210 2027.

Just be prepared to kondo some serious spondoolics too !

Daisy xx
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
    • Fen1
    • By Fen1 14th Jul 17, 7:04 PM
    • 1,320 Posts
    • 4,225 Thanks
    Fen1
    Hi Kittie, I mentioned Smalls for All ages ago.
    I'm in the process of collecting stuff for Women's Refuges, too.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 14th Jul 17, 7:55 PM
    • 868 Posts
    • 20,436 Thanks
    MMF007
    Bras!! I have many lovely bras, several rarely worn because I tried them for a whole day hence could not send them back, Very pretty quality bras but I only found my actual size yesterday, after trying many combinations for years. Finding the right size came from me doing a full measure for sewing for myself, underbust, high bust etc. Meantime struggling with a bra with straps that kept falling down, then another with a bigger band size and gaps in the cups etc. I always thought I was 42C and no way was I going to get 38E but after using a few calculator sites, all getting the same size, I thought no harm done and I got myself one cheap 38E from a well known lingerie company. I put it on today and suddenly I have two cup-filling boobs and a band that sits snug and straps that do not fall and underwires that do not dig. So I am biting the bullet and going to KM my beautiful wrong size bras. Has anyone heard of a charity called `smalls for all`? I will not be selling any of them. It has taken me a good 12 years to find my bra size and don`t mention being measured because they were the worst

sigh, what a waste but if a dedicated charity can use them, well and good
    Originally posted by kittie
    Coincidently I am also wearing a lovely new bra today! I found that my bra was riding up at the back. I thought this was because the band was too small. I also researched on several lingerie websites and found that I needed a small band size but larger cup size. I bought two fab sports bras that are the best fit I have ever had. A few weeks ago I bought a very pretty underwired bra (not that keen on wires, tbh), and have worn it all day and it is perfect

Not buying any more because I still have plenty of weight to lose. I must be patient, so as not to waste money. I am looking forward to when I get down to target weight and can buy some lovely clothes. In fact, it is the thought of how I will look in new smaller clothes that is spurring me on - visualising the goal an' all that

A quick kondo tidy of kitchen cupboards this morning brought them back into line. They needed doing because DH had run amok, adding rather too many of his favourite treats in an unruly fashion.

Laundry and cleaning gone, all bar vaccing upstairs (tennis took precedence!).
    Decided I can better organise a busy few days, so wrote out a schedule so I don't forget where I need to be and what I need to get done !

No plans for tomorrow morning yet but will be MK magic themed! DH working most of the day so I can do my own thing
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 14th Jul 17, 8:09 PM
    • 3,830 Posts
    • 30,499 Thanks
    Floss
    On the bra theme, posters / readers of other threads may have already seen this.... I've been to my brothers graduation today but had been a bit uncomfortable & fidgety all day and realised, when I just changed out of my smart clothes, that the bra I was wearing wasn't underwired (have no idea how I managed to buy 2 non-wired bras as have worn them for 25+ years and my 34DDs need the support!), which explained everything... I felt so much better when I changed it
    • GoingToDoIt
    • By GoingToDoIt 14th Jul 17, 10:26 PM
    • 438 Posts
    • 3,061 Thanks
    GoingToDoIt
    Breast Cancer now also has some bra drop off bins at stores like m&s!
    Apr 16 Total cc 0% debt £8364/3680 updated 23 July 17
    • kittie
    • By kittie 15th Jul 17, 7:58 AM
    • 11,050 Posts
    • 60,925 Thanks
    kittie
    Thanks fen1. I am bagging them up today, just keeping a 40D as it is close to 38E and I was glad to take the armour off last night. Although I measure 38 under and over bust, I bend a lot, sewing etc. The cups and side wires were the most comfortable ever but the band was digging in after a days wear and felt uncomfortable. Just thought, I do have some extenders, might try one until I get a bit of band stretch.

Off to find one of those brill large self seal bags, I wouldn`t have kondoed them
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 15th Jul 17, 11:19 AM
    • 1,594 Posts
    • 2,222 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    Dh has made a start on the garage - found two old kites which I have put at the front lawn - usually loads of kids riding their bikes, but I haven't spotted one when I want one - to offer the kites to.

Shortly we'll be off to the tip with a car load and I have 2 bags for the CS.
    Getting back on Track
    • short_bird
    • By short_bird 15th Jul 17, 12:22 PM
    • 1,814 Posts
    • 25,811 Thanks
    short_bird
    Bag for charity shop? Yep.
    Bag of batteries for recycling? Yep.
    Bag of drugs to be disposed of? Yep.
    Bag of stuff for local cat charity do tonight? Work in progress...

Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
    • SparksAlive
    • By SparksAlive 15th Jul 17, 12:40 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    SparksAlive
    Went through my wardrobes over the last two days and had a serious clear out I've now got 5 pink sacks of clothes in the spare room, not sure whether I'm going to try and sell some of them (I have some nice dresses) or just donate the lot to get it out the house.

The hardest part was getting rid of the pretty dresses that I haven't worn in years. They theoretically spark joy, because I love how they look, but I never actually wear them. I have a beautiful glittery chiffon blue dress that I got from the states, but I haven't worn it in 10 years. I've not had a suitable occasion, and it's a bit too young for me now. So as pretty as it is to look at it, I've taken the view that it's served its purpose and can now move on from my life.

My wardrobe looks a lot better now I have to start taking before and after pictures when I do this stuff! Also my boyfriend is hopefully moving in this month so clearing out space means making some room for him. Luckily he's very unbothered about material possessions and is the sort of person who owns five shirts and a nice coat and is happy, so I'm not anticipating too much anti-Kondo sentiment from him...
    • 12months
    • By 12months 15th Jul 17, 12:47 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 564 Thanks
    12months
    Thanks all . Definitely feeling better, both DS's managed to get home yesterday and one is staying for the weekend to help out. Neither live locally and although they have looked through the stuff in the past I'm happier that they've had a final sort through before it goes.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 15th Jul 17, 12:58 PM
    • 11,050 Posts
    • 60,925 Thanks
    kittie
    The bras are on their way, a dozen beautiful bras, uplifting in more ways than one. I didn`t put any sender details in as I don`t like being hounded by any charity, if they hound me then they get nothing else from me

I am very slowly continuing with wardrobe KM, truly is slow as I am making beautiful indie garments for myself. Last chance before I hit very old I am trying to take two out for one in. I am getting there. I`m happy in my skin, doing what I do wrt the wardrobes. KM 1 was the starter motor, which did the first bulk. I have done KM3 and this now is just continuing KM

During winter I may well bite the bullet and think about what to do with my weaving things, having said that, I want to make some bags and can weave strap on my inkle loom, I am a beginner purely because I have only made a couple of things. However no leaping from the deck here, this is another potential hobby
    • firebubble
    • By firebubble 16th Jul 17, 10:28 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    firebubble
    I finished!! I km'd my whole flat...I've been through everything, then sorted out the storage for everything and I'm happy with that, although there may be a few more tweaks as things settle down.

What I have noticed since I finished:
    - I have a tendency to leave stuff around after I've used it (a habit to work on), but I've noticed that I leave less stuff about as I know where everything goes. Clear up of what is scattered about takes 10 minutes max, as it all has a place to be put away.
    - Lighter mental load - all the little things catching my attention (must do X, that reminds me etc) are gone.
    - Am now sorting out the tasks which were so far at the bottom of the pile I'd forgotten they were tasks as they'd become part of the room layout: arranging for a new bathroom cabinet to be fitted in September (purchased in 2013 and the bits have been stacked in the corner of a room since then)...
    - Started up my hobbies again.

It felt at times like crawling through treacle, but it's done, and feels amazing. Hoping it stays that way...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

444Posts Today

3,834Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin