PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    VJsmum wrote: »
    I worked in Birkenhead (Berrrrkened) for 5 years.
    I've lived in the south east almost all of my adult life, and I still can't say "Birkenhead", it sounds like I'm trying to be unbearably posh. I *have* to say Berrrrkened :D It's the only place name from there that sounds completely odd when said in a southern voice :p
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • tibawo
    tibawo Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    VJsmum - I'd forgotten all about 'min's game.' As a teacher, September it is start of the New Year to me so I think i will kick start it with a game myself. However I am doing it as a countdown as i will do 30 things today, 29 tomorrow etc. I'm altering the rules slightly to fit in with the things I need to accomplish such as the half finished craft things needed for daughters stall in October so will include using these items up to as they will be freeing up space.

Just put together some activity packs and have used up sixteen bits that have been lurking. Packs have been put straight in tub of things that are ready.

Fourteen more to go. Think I'll grab a coffee to spur me on!
    Go get it!
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    Morning all.
    Hope September is kind to everyone
    Hugs and gentle thoughts where needed.

I'll join you in the mins game tibawo & VJsmum
    Day 1
    3 tier stationery organising rack Dh took to work with him this morning.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Serendipitious
    Serendipitious Posts: 6,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 September 2016 at 1:07PM
    Options
    Good afternoon and Happy September. Lovely day here. Did some paid work then home for a late lunch. Kondoed two cans of expensive drink that I will never consume to a grateful delivery person, so I am glad they have gone to a good home.

Good luck all who are playing the Mins game, I look forward to seeing all the victories. I'll refrain as even though it's only a game, I'll get obsessed!
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• tibawo
    tibawo Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just checking back in to update my min's game. Size wise it has not might much of a dent but I am hoping after a month these small items will have added up.

Day 1 - 30 things consisting of :-
    16 things sorted and sealed for activity bags, laces put in tye died shoes straight to craft stall 'ready to sell' tub, 4 pieces of filing from the pine shelves and their older version already shredded, 9 old odd/knackered white socks or knickers out in the bin [i was going to use these for dusting but realised it was just another excuse to not throw them!]
    Go get it!
  • Charis
    Charis Posts: 1,302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all.
    Hope September is kind to everyone
    Hugs and gentle thoughts where needed.

Thank you Mrs MP. Much appreciated.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Evening all.

Oh, I'm gonna have to have another go at Mins Game. Wish I was at Mum & Dad's as it would be so easy there, but I will have ago. I ran out of Stuff halfway through the month last time but here goes:

1. A receipt for business expenses back to my kid brother (mistakenly got caught up in a bag which came over to my place at the weekend).

Got a taker for something on freegle but won't list that until it's actually gone, not counting one's chickens and all that jazz.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,141 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    don't suppose there is anyway you could suggest that your parents join in with this GQ?
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 September 2016 at 7:36PM
    Options
    Oh, I was a bit premature - my released clothing would have done well in Sept Mins game!

I did wonder if I should have counted the items but there is no way I am getting them all out to count them now! Maybe sil will tell me after the carboot. Never mind, I have plenty of other kondo-ing to do but not as Mins, I think I shall carry on letting the items suggest themselves for a while. I have released lots of Stuff that I was holding onto for various reasons - often because I imagined I could use them for a project in the future, or just because I'd had something for ages :rotfl: As many have said, some items were kept because they had cost good money and they *should* have been used, even though they weren't! :rotfl::rotfl:

I found 'clothes part 2' MUCH easier than first time round. Sometimes you just know the time is right, don't you? I still have more to go but when I look back to last summer, when I started the journey, blimey have I progressed well with it!

Only things that went today were recycling and an unused pillow protector that I offered to a neighbour (she has very worn ones and had bemoaned them a few weeks ago so when I came across this in the bottom of COD). She was delighted, even offering to pay me for it (no thanks), and I have a bit more space.

Oh, and one of my clients insisted on paying a bit more because I had helped her with something she had been very anxious about and ' didn't make her feel silly'. She is a lovely lady but lives alone and her sons can't understand why she gets anxious 'because she is perfectly capable'. I just listened to her concerns and then assisted her with the task in hand and we got it sorted out in no time. I could SEE the relief.
    I think that's how I feel when I complete another bit of kondo-ing:rotfl:

anyway, here's to a great September Everyone :beer:
    M
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,672 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Reverse Mins game, over achieving as away from home next weekend.
    35 items gathered together for a friend to sell.
    Charity shop stuff accumulating in the kitchen, total will be revealed later...
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure