Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greent
    • By greent 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    • 5,951Posts
    • 60,133Thanks
    greent
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 30th Dec 15 at 12:31 PM
    Link to 2015: thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5146700

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £3490/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £753.38/£500 PAYDOX17 £10335/£10k Decluttered 1200/2017 items
Page 459
    • greent
    • By greent 10th Jul 17, 8:00 PM
    • 5,951 Posts
    • 60,133 Thanks
    greent
    Couple more items added to the CS bag today and a couple of items of clothing to fabric recycling (collected weekly by council) OH has also sorted a jacket from his wardrobe to go - worn once, so I may try selling (navy linen, so perfect for this time of year) Various bits of paperwork recycled/ added to chiminea as appropriate and more will be going later this week as I work my way through (although it's almost end of term for the 3 boys, so I seem to have lots of school stuff on this week and next week)

Just about to tackle a large pile of ironing whilst OH sorts the smalls for bed
    xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £3490/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £753.38/£500 PAYDOX17 £10335/£10k Decluttered 1200/2017 items
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 10th Jul 17, 9:15 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 18,279 Thanks
    MMF007

My name is GQ and I'm a recovering sugar addict.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    My name is M and I am a wheat addict. Soooo, no bread, crackers, cakes or pasta. I realised that I may be allergic to wheat because flour makes my eyes very itchy (eg, handling a floury bun or baking) so I assume other mucus membranes are also affected (eg, lungs and gut). Also, I once read that the foods you are most attracted to are closely allied to the foods you are in fact allergic to.... no idea if that is scientific fact but in my case I can eat more calories and still lose weight if I
    cut out wheat and sugar. Hmmm.

Have just copied some photos for elderly neighbour to send to some relatives and while waiting for printer to slowly do its thing I tidied the stock cupboard in the same room (a mini stash of ambient products bought on offer). Feels good to sneak in a bit of tidying magic
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 10th Jul 17, 9:18 PM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 1,967 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    I was explaining to DH about Kon Mari the other day. Yesterday he said that he would be clearing out the garage on Saturday. Tonight I said "so you're all ready to clear out the big clear out on Saturday?" His response, "Oh, so you're moving out then?"
    Getting back on Track
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 10th Jul 17, 9:23 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 18,279 Thanks
    MMF007

I may clear out of HERE at the weekend! DH has just had a go at me because one of my clients rang me a few minutes ago. Not sure how I am to blame and as I pointed out they do pay me for my services. Hmmf.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 10th Jul 17, 9:35 PM
    • 3,656 Posts
    • 28,244 Thanks
    Floss
    I have managed to KM my DH until late tomorrow night to the Pink Floyd exhibition at the V&A but he will be back to undo my tidying!
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 11th Jul 17, 9:52 AM
    • 877 Posts
    • 14,791 Thanks
    Siebrie
    I've crossed many (mental....) hurdles to finally compare energy costs! I had to register myself on my current supplier's website to find last year's totals (the link in the email they sent me did no longer work), find the correct comparison website, and fill in all the details. I figured I could save about €100 per year if I change to the cheapest green energy supplier. I'm not sure it's worth changing, and will wait until December to see if they offer a better deal, but at least now I know how to go about it and where to look for it.

On Sunday we submitted our tax paperwork (do you still call it that when it's all online?), and the preliminary calculation showed that we should receive about €850 (GBP 750) back, wahoo! I collect all relevant paperwork during the year in one kangaroo pocket, so it's easy to find. My main word in this case is 'immediately'. Every piece of relevant paper immediately gets put in this pocket, every email, every relevant bank statement (money donations to charities), every statement (e.g. childcare) where I have to log on to a website gets printed immediately. It saves so much time!

Last night I watched about 3 episodes of Gardeners' World, 3 of Beechgrove Garden, and a Mrs Brown's Boys, all on fast forward , while mending a pair of tights and 5 pairs of leggings. My dds have horseriding camp this week (daycamp) and wear their old leggings. One final fix, they will wear them to pieces, and the leggings can be ragged!! Hurray!! They wear their oldest and ugliest pairs today, because part of the programme is painting the jumping hurdles (no idea what to call them in either Dutch or English ).
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 6393,07= £ 5589.79
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 11th Jul 17, 1:02 PM
    • 4,345 Posts
    • 17,896 Thanks
    Slinky
    They wear their oldest and ugliest pairs today, because part of the programme is painting the jumping hurdles (no idea what to call them in either Dutch or English ).
    Originally posted by Siebrie
    Show jumps if they are what I'm thinking they are.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 11th Jul 17, 1:38 PM
    • 3,041 Posts
    • 48,360 Thanks
    silvasava
    DH proudly informed me he's sorted out his book stash and there's a pile to go to the CS..................so he can make room for a new author he likes
    I'm wondering when he's going to get round to the stash of VHS tapes in the loft - not in my lifetime by the look of it!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 11th Jul 17, 3:09 PM
    • 4,345 Posts
    • 17,896 Thanks
    Slinky
    Yeah, I really like bread but it doesn't like me, sigh. Never mind, I'm eating luscious food and the weight is just sliding off, 1 kg in the last six days and I sure as hell don't 'do exercise', just gently pootling about my activities.

Trouble with starchy foods like bread and sugary things is that they seem to have the ability to cause the overgrowth of sugar-loving gut bacteria which, in their turn, stimulate the desire to eat more sugary carp so they can expand their colonies. There is a whole universe living in our guts. fascinating to read about it.

And as for finding out that bread has a higher GI index than flipping chocolate, and that there are opiate receptors in our brain where gluten molecules dock to give us that carby buzz..................! The same chemical buzz as hard drugs, fer cryin' out loud.

My name is GQ and I'm a recovering sugar addict.
    Isn't it amazing, all those years spent battling weight eating low fat, low taste crappy foods you switch to high fat and cut out the carbs, all of a sudden the weight starts dropping off, with no need to be flogging for hours in the gym etc. And you're eating lovely foods too!

I do eat some carbs from time to time, but I know from experience that they go straight to my waistline!

ETA the bread machine was thanked and finally headed out the door a couple of weeks ago.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 11th Jul 17, 6:45 PM
    • 11,073 Posts
    • 213,199 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I feel like I've been let into a huge secret, it's so like cheating when you stuff your face on things like butter, olive oil, beautiful fish, cuts of meat, cook with lard and butter and eat nuts ('cept peanuts) and wake up every morning slimmer than the night before!

Heck, I've lost 3 lb in seven days, am never hungry and eat whenever I like.

I reckon I must be in or close to ketosis and am actively burnng fat instead of glucose. Interesting that there is absolutely no biological need for carbohydrates in the human diet whatsoever, we can create them from fats by a process called gluconeogenesis.

Low fat products are awful things, the only way they can make them palatable is to load them with sugar. When the sugar is the metabolic poison and the fat is essential for all bodily functions, but especially essential for brain health.

It's so funny when colleagues and friends get a bit shocked and even offended that my diet is so different from the conventional one but I'm losing weight painlessly and glowing with health.

Tomorrow, I plan to fry half a punnet of mushrooms in butter and have them with my morning salad. Nomnomnom.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• MMF007
    • By MMF007 11th Jul 17, 10:01 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 18,279 Thanks
    MMF007
    It was my lovely friend's birthday last week. She 'has everything she wants' but I wanted to mark the occasion sooooo.......
    I gave her a picture I had painted (framed in a colour to complement her decor, of course!) and i took her out for the day.
    We had a lovely outing to a beautiful garden with a good cafe. As there was light rain during most of our visit we had the gardens to ourselves! We happily walked round for ages in our rain coats with umbrellas and are unharmed

So only a little increase in Stuff for her and as it hanging on the wall it is not cluttering a cupboard!
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 12th Jul 17, 11:46 AM
    • 4,345 Posts
    • 17,896 Thanks
    Slinky
    I feel like I've been let into a huge secret,
    Those were my thoughts exactly. Somebody recommended Escape the Diet Trap by Dr John Briffa to me, I'd never heard of low carbing before and the Atkins thing passed me by before I needed to lose weight. It started creeping on after I got married. I wasn't severely overweight but it was going up with no signs of stopping, something had to change.

We fall off the wagon from time to time, usually holidays, but it's so easy to shift when we get home it's not worth worrying about.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 12th Jul 17, 1:40 PM
    • 3,041 Posts
    • 48,360 Thanks
    silvasava
    All DH's culled books in two carriers for me to take to the club tonight - any left will go to the CS. At least they will only be slowly replaced (she hopes)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 12th Jul 17, 2:35 PM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 1,967 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    4 bags and box of ornaments and glasses ready to go to the CS on my way to work tomorrow.

I'm really finding it liberating to ask myself "does it give joy". I had two petticoats which haven't fitted me for about 20 years - I was holding on to them as Mum (died 15 years ago) had trimmed them with lace - to be perfectly honest they never really did fit me. I looked at them and they certainly hold sentimental value but do not give joy - they have gone in the bag for the CS
    Getting back on Track
    • wort
    • By wort 12th Jul 17, 6:06 PM
    • 296 Posts
    • 5,826 Thanks
    wort
    GQ I am coeliac have been for years , unfortunately I love carbs, so glutenfree bread etc. For me it's full of sugar and calories, I'm not too bad my weight has always been pretty stable. But I find lunch difficult without a sandwich particularly if at work, and I don't feel full after a salad, but if you find it works that's fab.
    I've had a shuffle round re the wardrobes, I would love to get rid of a couple now it's just me, but we only had new carpets last year and they cut around the wardrobes as we couldn't move them out..!
    I have been able to move 3 large plastic crates out from under bed ,and there will be more, I need to ponder where items are going to live, harder than it seems!! The crates are in the garage, and will possibly be used in there when I re- kondo in there.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 12th Jul 17, 7:18 PM
    • 3,656 Posts
    • 28,244 Thanks
    Floss
    Wort maybe one of the wardrobes can become storage for other things, maybe towels, bedding etc?
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 12th Jul 17, 8:33 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 18,279 Thanks
    MMF007
    Wort, do you still have the off cuts? I kept the bit where my gas meter cupboard was and when they moved the meter to outside I slotted the off cut back in and now have a small TV stand on it. You can't see the join

Off to 'tidy' the fridge (small, under counter type) so I can fit the leftovers in. I have the afternoon off tomorrow and intend watching tennis for hours I shall not be making tea unless rai stops play
    However, in view of the diet I now have a rule that I will exercise while watching it Don't want to spend several hours sitting still.
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 13th Jul 17, 8:43 PM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 1,967 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    In my spare bedroom/office, three drawers re-organised (in the process found 2 empty plastic bags and two small empty boxes so they have been chucked). Space in one drawer to store the random cables, hard drives etc., that were shoved under the desk. Now when I sit at the desk I can actually put my legs under it properly. My spare room is looking fab - all I need to do is to sort out the stuff under the bed which will be done tomorrow.
    Getting back on Track
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 13th Jul 17, 10:09 PM
    • 3,041 Posts
    • 48,360 Thanks
    silvasava
    Defunct hot air styler dropped off at the tip on my way to see a friend. Pot of 4 miniature roses freegled - I know its not much but its something less to bother about!
    DgD was coming tomorrow for DH to renew the brake shoes on her car but she's working so will be done later in the week so some more pruning will be done in the garden - Dh chopped our thug of a wisteria today - its like a triffid coming in the bathroom window!
    • 12months
    • By 12months 14th Jul 17, 7:49 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 533 Thanks
    12months
    4 bags and box of ornaments and glasses ready to go to the CS on my way to work tomorrow.

I'm really finding it liberating to ask myself "does it give joy". I had two petticoats which haven't fitted me for about 20 years - I was holding on to them as Mum (died 15 years ago) had trimmed them with lace - to be perfectly honest they never really did fit me. I looked at them and they certainly hold sentimental value but do not give joy - they have gone in the bag for the CS
    Originally posted by MrsPorridge

I too have held on to things my lovely dad gave me (he died a few years ago) and have struggled to get rid of them even though I don't use them and they take up room. Doing the KonMarie method has really helped me to sort things out.

Feeling a little despondent today. Yesterday I emptied the loft and everything is sitting in the hallway and the living room I'm stepping over boxes and things belonging to my (now adult) children. Most is too good to throw away so I feel I should try and sell it but the thought of advertising and storing it until sold is causing me some anxiety. Anyway, maybe by the time I've sorted the rubbish and got rid of that it won't seem too bad. Oh well, best get started
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

907Posts Today

7,828Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin