Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greent
    • By greent 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    • 6,422Posts
    • 64,839Thanks
    greent
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 30th Dec 15 at 12:31 PM
    Link to 2015: thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5146700

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5034/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1221.45/£500 PAYDOX17 £11937/£10k Decluttered 1730/2017 items
Page 458
    • WeeMidgie
    • By WeeMidgie 7th Jul 17, 5:19 PM
    • 222 Posts
    • 4,392 Thanks
    WeeMidgie
    Welcome to Daisy and MrsPorridge, this kondo mania is definitely catching!

Today I took my mobile phone into the local Tesco store so that the girl in the phone shop could Kondo some Google apps off my smartphone which I only use for texts and calls, on a £5 per month SIM only contract. I didn't want to do it in case I deleted something crucial... better safe than sorry, to be sure.

I also bought a micro SD card which she installed for me and she moved my photos onto it. And she's told me how to get the phone unlocked for use overseas (not Europe) - I need to call customer services and allow 2 or 3 weeks for it to be unlocked. This means I can use it to take photos on my trip and send them to the cloud using wifi, and can kondo my elderly camera, whose SD card has mysteriously gone missing. And I can use the text part with an overseas supplier to make rendezvous arrangements with my friends and family.

A small thing to get sorted, but very relieving!
    Last edited by WeeMidgie; 07-07-2017 at 5:21 PM.
    • Picklepot
    • By Picklepot 7th Jul 17, 6:20 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 4,081 Thanks
    Picklepot
    Thank you for your lovely replies. Sorry ive not got the hang of multiple quoting to thank you individually. I think ive got down to the hard core of stuff now that ive previously avoided. However i shall take every bit of wisdom you can provide and go for the less 'oochy ' stuff to tackle next
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 8th Jul 17, 6:43 AM
    • 6,725 Posts
    • 41,561 Thanks
    Pooky
    I do love hearing others stories on here and seeing everyone doing so well....it's a great boost when you start to waver.

We had a few days away camping at the end of May and again this week. We take quite a bit of stuff with us to make it easier for DH (disabled) and our large car is always stuffed to the top (doesn't help that we have to fit it all around his large mobility scooter so always looks far more than there is). This time round though, it really got me thinking about what we actually "need" at home - we've fallen into the trap of having a decent sized house so have filled it with stuff.....I can't say no to a freebie and do like a good "upcycle" project so we always seem to have enough furniture around to furnish 4 houses. This is something I need to curb. I was given 2 dining tables and sets of chairs to do up, one lot of which will go with DDs when they move out soon but that currently leaves us with 34 places to put our bottoms. 4 dining chairs in the kitchen, 4 garden chairs, an arm chair in the kitchen, a 3 seater sofa and 2 arm chairs in the living room, a 2 seater sofa in the conservatory, 3 computer chairs, a single camping chair, a double camping sofa, 4 oak dining chairs for project 1, 4 pine dining chairs for project 2 and 4 folding chairs we've had for years.

34!!!!

I really do need a slap.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • 12months
    • By 12months 8th Jul 17, 1:45 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 570 Thanks
    12months
    Hi All

I've not been around for a while. Sort of Kondo'd myself out and needed to take a break. I've sold some of the things I sorted and made myself about £100 so far so that's going in the EF. (I've start Dave Ramsay's baby steps programme and am currently building an emergency fund.)

I sorted the house paperwork some time ago so that won't take much to kondo. The big challenge for me is kondoing work paperwork. I'm a teacher and tend to keep lots of books/notes/worksheets just in case I need it again. Not this time, this time I'm getting rid as I'm sure I'll be able to find stuff online. I need my house back So this week is going to be spent kondoing paper

Hoping to check in again later in the week and report some progress

• MMF007
    • By MMF007 8th Jul 17, 5:31 PM
    • 995 Posts
    • 22,648 Thanks
    MMF007
    Forgive me for I have sinned. I bought a smart skirt in the sale at Sainsbobs for £4.80. Yep! It is a size smaller than I am at present but was too good to miss. However, I tried it on just now and it actually fits me yipee, I have Kondo'd another 1.5lbs.
    I am not doing as well as GQ at the weight loss but it is coming off again after a little plateau. I want to lose the next 8lbs to take me to another big milestone so having something nice to wear will encourage me. The skirt will be fine with a slightly smaller me and when necessary my lovely friend will take it in for me ( I pay her in bottles of wine because she refuses money).

I also, er, hmmmm, er, bought another skirt that is a simple Jersey fabric in pale grey with a delicate design in white and pale green (almost yellow). Falls just below my knee and is lovely to wear in this heat. I already had a casual top in the same yellowy green so I have been sat in the sunshine feeling rather good.

Total expenditure £18.80 = joy!

I knew as soon as i tried the skirts on that i can definitely release a couple I had been hangjng onto until I dropped to the next size down. It is a pain being between sizes. I don't want the clothes that are a bit big, but i can't fit comfortably into the next ones down Anyway at least 2 can go now!

I have Kondo'd a bit of time trying to encourage a friend to start offering art classes to adults. He is a qualified art teacher and gifted artist. There seems to be plenty of demand for such classes so he just needs a plan, a suitable venue and, as the film said, if he builds it they will come. The initial outlay needn't be much and he can build up his offering once he starts to get clients. My fingers are crossed for him, he deserves to succeed in this venture.

Right, a couple of drawers of too big clothes are calling to me,

M
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 8th Jul 17, 5:35 PM
    • 4,696 Posts
    • 20,329 Thanks
    Slinky
    We've spent some time today having a go at the contents of the shed. We cleared some a while ago, but there was plenty more still in there. I've got OH to agree to get rid of 2 large plastic sun loungers he has owned for 16+ years and we have never used once in that time. The cushions are in the loft still to be retrieved. I've taken a photo and offered them to our nephew and his wife, if they don't want them, we'll take them to the tip where they will no doubt find a buyer in their shop. Losing such bulky items has made much more space for the stuff we're keeping. I gave a garden game to our neighbour opposite for her visiting grandchildren, but in return was given a timed pet feeder. This may be useful when we move house. I'll try our cat with it, if she doesn't take to it, I'll take to the charity shop (pet based).
    • greent
    • By greent 8th Jul 17, 9:01 PM
    • 6,422 Posts
    • 64,839 Thanks
    greent
    200 items (ish) sold at a nearly new sale today and a further 25 donated to charity. And I have resigned from a Treasurer role
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    • Fen1
    • By Fen1 9th Jul 17, 7:15 AM
    • 1,341 Posts
    • 4,556 Thanks
    Fen1
    Slinky: if your nephew doesn't want the loungers have you considered Freegle? Garden furniture is in high demand at this time of year. It might save you a trip to the dump.

I am currently saving bath water to use in the garden. I have my morning bath, let it cool during the day, then use it to water the plants in the evening. Ye gods, how dirty am I? The bath is now grimey with a nasty ring, not something that happens when I let the water run straight out. OH says it's worse because of our very hard water, but still. Do the no-scrub foam/mousse cleaners work? I cannot scrub the bath due to a bad back, and desperately need something to keep the bath respectable between visits by my cleaning lady. I've tried cleaning the bath with mops on a stick but hurt my back as it still required bending. The 'sitting in the bath whilst cleaning it' option is feasible but not desirable.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 9th Jul 17, 9:50 AM
    • 11,363 Posts
    • 218,624 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Morning all.

Been a bit MIA due to being busy about gardening and social life, but am awarding myself a few pottering hours at home before gardening later on. Didn't get out of bed until two hours later than normal, funny how getting up at about 8 am can feel like a real treat, hey?

MMF, the weight loss reversed slightly from October-March as I comfort-ate. Then I passed that need and got back on track and it's slipping off steadily. Quite amazing to me that there is such a close correlation between eating even a small amount of sugar and the weight-loss stalling or even reversing. It's the very devil.

I have now slipped below 13 st for the first time in years. Want to shed about another 20-30lb and should be able to do that.

Carb-avoidance is the absolute key for me, but that's not hard when you've been told you've got celiac disease. I'm not faffing around with these free-from non-wheat breads etc, I'm just eating stuff which is naturally carb-free like salads.

Due to disorganisation, I still haven't got that skirt outta here (will do it tomorrow) but have a cunning plan to inventory my clothing. It's contained in the following spaces; a small wicker hamper (jumpers and winter things like hats and gloves), a 3 ft hanging rail, a 5 drawer COD and some baskets.

I guess that I have more clothes than some people and fewer than others. I feel that I have plenty of variety and plan to keep what I have in most cases, and allow things to dwindle through natural attrition. I detest shopping for clothes and like what remains, you see. I don't give two hoots for fashion and have things of classic cut, so them being old isn't really an issue.

I'm concentrating the wear on a few examples of some categories, like undies, socks, pyjamas, with a view to wearing them out and ragging them. The idea will be not to re-purchase until the inventory really is depleted and its necessary.

That day is many many years hence, kondo-istas, many years hence.

OMG, I think I need to take a break from inventorying and have a cuppa. Have got up to 90 items on just tops (exc knitwear), coats, jackets and jammies. How embarrassing. Haven't even counted trews exc jammie bottoms. On the joyous front, I have found two summery silk shirts which, when I last tried them on, were indecently tight and which, blush though I admit it, I could barely get back off again.

That latter item, a lovely short-sleeve fitted silk top (chazzer bargain, very pretty) is now on a hanger and will be going to the office tomorrow, with another silk top having an outing later in the week.

So joyous to have 'new' clothes.
    Last edited by GreyQueen; 09-07-2017 at 10:43 AM. Reason: to add a bit
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 9th Jul 17, 10:36 AM
    • 28,064 Posts
    • 154,272 Thanks
    Karmacat
    200 items (ish) sold at a nearly new sale today and a further 25 donated to charity. And I have resigned from a Treasurer role
    Originally posted by greent
    Fantastic! Good for you

I've been focussed on kondoing in the garden - cutting some *very* long grass growing up around the sacks of bark chippings I bought but haven't been able to get onto the soil

I did manage to start to unload both the topsoil and the bark chippings - got rid of the fruitless gooseberry, plus a tiny bramble, and then realised I had two sets of self sown sorrel and a self sown lemon balm hiding, so dressed the topsoil, watered it well in, and covered it all with chippings. Am very happy about that

**Not** happy at 6am this morning. Woke up happy, and then saw a huuuuuuuge spider on my bedroom ceiling, biggest one I've seen in the house in years. Got it in the vacuum cleaner, dumped the vacuum outside the front door while I recovered from my heart attack, and I've just emptied it (bagless) onto the grass of the rec ground over the road. The spider runs free ... I'm happy again (once I recover from adrenalin poisoning), and so is it.
    Save
    Save
    Retired August 2016
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 9th Jul 17, 4:10 PM
    • 11,363 Posts
    • 218,624 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Just updated my clothing inventory and deleted some things which have been given away/ worn-out and ragged. My total wardrobe inc footwear cost me £1,234.72 ............ not exactly the last of the big spenders and it's even more amusing if you realise that there are a handful of big-ticket items taking up the lion's share of that spend.

Nipped out with the skirt and caught the chazzer on one of its rare Sunday openings so that has finally gone and I also returned a library book which I finished with last night. Nothing came back with me other than some foodstuffs which will be eaten shortly.

Nice work on the sale and giving up the Chair, greent, I know you'd posted about wanting to do it. I resigned from a committee a couple of years back and it was such a weight off my shoulders.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• greent
    • By greent 9th Jul 17, 4:58 PM
    • 6,422 Posts
    • 64,839 Thanks
    greent
    Ah - Karmacat - I'd rescue you from spiders if I was close enough- I quite like them and will happily pick them up (except the false widows we found in our garage! )

I had given notice of my intent to leave as Treasurer at the end of the year at the latest (ideally Oct/ Nov) but after a disagreement with the Chair I said it was best I left immediately. I will do the banking I have here from yesterday's event and get the records up straight which are here but anything going forward from now is nothing to do with me. I'm not even going to volunteer there - I disagree with too much - although I am a Trustee for another almost 2 years. I think I might look at volunteering with foodbank or similar instead in the future - and *just* volunteer, not get involved at any other level. It's (resigning) definitely the right thing for me to do - my family and I are(perhaps somewhat selfishly) more important to me than the charity x
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 9th Jul 17, 6:53 PM
    • 4,696 Posts
    • 20,329 Thanks
    Slinky
    After the shed clearance yesterday, today we've attacked the racking in the garage. Many car cleaning items OH no longer uses have been boxed up ready for the tip. The remaining ones have been boxed and labelled as car cleaning. Several duplicates, unsurprisingly. A load of random junk binned/put ready for recycling, including about 20 bits of 'might come in handy' wood. Some has been retained, but we rarely need bits of wood. Have kept the longer, better quality bits and the small stuff and rough stuff will be ditched. Large pile of stuff to go to the tip, OH says he will go early next Sunday as he didn't fancy his chances this afternoon.

A fiddly job of fitting trunking for the wire for the cat flap (microchip one that runs off the mains), has finally been sorted, only taken about 2.5 years of it trailing across the floor getting trodden on.

Still got a large cupboard in the garage to go through but we've made a good start.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 9th Jul 17, 7:29 PM
    • 11,363 Posts
    • 218,624 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I've just gutted out one of my hanging files and discarded obsolete papers related to a bank account, shredded the confidential bits and put the bumpf parts out for recycling. Lighter and tidier in there now.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• MMF007
    • By MMF007 9th Jul 17, 8:16 PM
    • 995 Posts
    • 22,648 Thanks
    MMF007
    Well done everyone! Some great results.
    Yes, GQ, I have found that even one slice of bread messes up the diet for a whole week, much like you say with sugar (I can easily do without sugar). I stayed the same weight for about 4 months, 3 of which i felt vaguely unwell. Looking back I think it was hormonal. The other month was while my tooth was fractured but still in place ( now have a temp denture, it makes me feel very decrepit! but i can laugh about it ) - made eating very difficult so i ate bread in small quantities and no salad.... Now I can eat according to a low carb diet that seems to work for me.

Today I managed to do quite a few smallish jobs, which are always good to get out of the way, but spent a lot of time in the garden, taking in the sun
    I did sort out my cleaning supplies ready for the week ahead, and once again admired the new shelf/basket arrangement. I am a bit obsessed by how well this has worked, aren't I?

The only thing to push forward because it didn't get done, is sort out the surplus skirts*. It was just too lovely outside to think about being indoors!
    * and the dusting!!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • 12months
    • By 12months 9th Jul 17, 8:21 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 570 Thanks
    12months
    Enjoying reading the kondoing activities of everyone, I find it motivational I've sorted my desk and a bookcase - lots shredded and a black bag filled. Feeling much better!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Jul 17, 9:02 AM
    • 28,064 Posts
    • 154,272 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Ah - Karmacat - I'd rescue you from spiders if I was close enough- I quite like them)
    Originally posted by greent

It's (resigning) definitely the right thing for me to do - my family and I are(perhaps somewhat selfishly) more important to me than the charity x
    That's the positive form - I call that "self centred", not selfish. Otherwise, we end up being martyrs, and no one benefits from that, not in the end.

Save
    Retired August 2016
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 10th Jul 17, 11:08 AM
    • 974 Posts
    • 16,472 Thanks
    Siebrie
    LBM over the weekend: (1) now that my cleaning vinegar stash has dwindled to only 7 bottles, there is space in the nice box that holds them; (2) there are several bottles of dishwasher fluid (sorry, I forgot the English term) in the shelving system in the garage, next to the flour, taking up 'food' space. Solution: move the dishwasher fluid to the box with the cleaning vinegar! How simple can it be! I'm happy I even managed to fit one bag of dishwasher tablets and a box of dishwasher salt in the vinegar box.

Someone at church brought a laaaarge tin of nice biscuits, and when they were all eaten, offered me the tin. Let's see...what will fit into that? Maybe I'll keep it to store hm cupcakes, it looks like it will hold 16 (undecorated) cupcakes easily. Or all the girls' beads, or some gardening paraphernalia, or sewing equipment. How happy can a tin make you? All these options for storing!
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 6849,49= £ 5815.67
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 10th Jul 17, 5:25 PM
    • 3,247 Posts
    • 51,765 Thanks
    silvasava
    Slinky - I'm sure your surplus car stuff, bits of wood and the Justin's would be snapped up on freecycle and save you trip?
    DH just collected some logs and odd timber from DS1 ready for the winter. Most of our neighbours now know we'll take any large branches so win win! No real Kondoing lately, o oh weeds as I've been working in the garden while the weather holds.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 10th Jul 17, 7:14 PM
    • 11,363 Posts
    • 218,624 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Yeah, I really like bread but it doesn't like me, sigh. Never mind, I'm eating luscious food and the weight is just sliding off, 1 kg in the last six days and I sure as hell don't 'do exercise', just gently pootling about my activities.

Trouble with starchy foods like bread and sugary things is that they seem to have the ability to cause the overgrowth of sugar-loving gut bacteria which, in their turn, stimulate the desire to eat more sugary carp so they can expand their colonies. There is a whole universe living in our guts. fascinating to read about it.

And as for finding out that bread has a higher GI index than flipping chocolate, and that there are opiate receptors in our brain where gluten molecules dock to give us that carby buzz..................! The same chemical buzz as hard drugs, fer cryin' out loud.

My name is GQ and I'm a recovering sugar addict.

My 'new' blouse attracted some favourable comments and another 'new' one will have an outing tomorrow, I do so love shopping my own wardrobe.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

197Posts Today

1,586Users online

Martin's Twitter