Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greent
    • By greent 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    • 5,936Posts
    • 59,952Thanks
    greent
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 30th Dec 15 at 12:31 PM
    Link to 2015: thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5146700

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £3490/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £753.38/£500 PAYDOX17 £10335/£10k Decluttered 10/2017 items
Page 450
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 19th Jun 17, 3:58 PM
    • 11,056 Posts
    • 212,938 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Phew! Wot a scorcher! I feel I must be kondo-ing several ounces of water-weight despite sipping water all day.

At the weekend, was having a cuppa and a chat round a pal's and she mentioned that she intends to divest herself of about a third of her belongings, to make her small home more livable.

She also traced the source of the persistant cough which has plagued her for ages; some bags of clothing under her bed had lost the vacuum seal, got damp and musty and must have been putting out spores or something because the first night after they were removed, she slept without coughing once.

Said clothes have all been laundered and some are to be shed via various methods and nothing is going back under that bed.

Makes me wonder how many persistant, niggly little health problems owe their cause to clutter in some manner? A lot, I suspect.

Have been busy at work and am doing some cooking to make use of some random stored food items. Am also dipping in and out of the original MK book to refresh myself as to the principles.

Hope everyone is keeping well in this incredible heat, it's been nearly 30 here today.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 19th Jun 17, 4:11 PM
    • 876 Posts
    • 14,785 Thanks
    Siebrie
    I was out planting cosmos and dahlia's at 10pm last night, as only then was it cool enough to work. I love these long evenings, and wish I didn't have to get up so early!
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 6393,07= £ 5589.79
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th Jun 17, 4:48 PM
    • 27,467 Posts
    • 149,124 Thanks
    Karmacat
    At the weekend, was having a cuppa and a chat round a pal's and she mentioned that she intends to divest herself of about a third of her belongings, to make her small home more livable.

She also traced the source of the persistant cough which has plagued her for ages; some bags of clothing under her bed had lost the vacuum seal, got damp and musty and must have been putting out spores or something because the first night after they were removed, she slept without coughing once.

Said clothes have all been laundered and some are to be shed via various methods and nothing is going back under that bed.

Makes me wonder how many persistant, niggly little health problems owe their cause to clutter in some manner? A lot, I suspect.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    That is *so* important - I'm sure some of my problems come from the same sort of thing, storing too much in less than ideal conditions (plus not springcleaning) ...

Save
    Retired August 2016
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 19th Jun 17, 4:58 PM
    • 11,056 Posts
    • 212,938 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I recall reading an article somewhere about how parents were advised to remove carpets and clutter from asthmatic childrens' bedrooms, vacuum and damp-mop the floors daily.

It was reckoned to have alleviated all the children's symptoms and even effected a cure, which relapsed if the regime was stopped.

I've often meditated on the sealed--up nature of modern (or modernised) homes in a world where we tend to spend a lot more time indoors than was the case when I was growing up.

I'm sure we're breathing in a lot more mould spores, as well as a lot more out-gassed chemicals, than earlier generations and that this isn't doing us a lot of good.

Be clutter-free and healthy.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• elona
    • By elona 19th Jun 17, 4:59 PM
    • 10,999 Posts
    • 57,381 Thanks
    elona
    It has been 33 degrees round here and I am dissolving into a puddle.

Met dd in York and bought her a top and trousers and tried on some summer dresses. Eventually found one I liked that was a respectable length and cool material and wore it to go home on the bus.

The charity bag has not been collected and is still on the doorstep but it is so hot I am going to leave it there.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • 12months
    • By 12months 19th Jun 17, 5:36 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    12months
    GreyQueen, I’ve wondered about health problems linked to clutter. My house seems to be a little damp and I often run a dehumidifier to keep the damp feeling at bay. I especially dislike my bed to feel damp. I’m hoping that the vastly thinned out wardrobe and drawers, along with some damp control moisture traps placed in the wardrobe, will help the situation.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 19th Jun 17, 5:57 PM
    • 11,056 Posts
    • 212,938 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I've had some interesting convos with surveyors over the years and here is an (in)complete tip sheet from them:

1. Ventilate your home by having windows open on opposite sides, to draw the air through, as often as possible.

2. Bedrooms should be aired for a minimum of 30 mins with covers thrown back after arising. Longer is better - windows open.

3. Never build-in wardrobes and other furniture on outside walls and try to avoid free-standing large furniture on outside wall.

4. Even if not an outside wall, if what's on the other side is an unheated area like a stairwell or a cupboard, you can end up with a 'cold spot' and the restricted airflow will likely cause dampness and mould.

5. Move furniture another couple of inches forward from the walls, rather than have the back of it as close to the wall as the skirting board will allow - the extra airflow will mitigate dampness.

6. If running a bath, run cold first and warm it up; this reduces condensation.

7. Furnish as sparsely as possible and be particularly careful of packing things under and around beds.

8. The relative proximity of open water, even if it is 50 yards away, will make that side of your home more prone to damp.

9. Be very careful of walls facing North and East as they are colder and more damp-prone. As will creeper-grown or tree-shaded walls.

10. Even in designated storage areas, keep things far enough apart for airflow, get things off the floor if possible.

11. Even if you don't have a proper Frenchman's Drain (a deep, narrow trench by your foundations filled with gravel) you can replicate the effect with a gravel/ shingle filled flowerbed. Don't allow garden soil to creep up against the walls.

12. If you're in the habit of leaning things against your walls outside, get out of it quickly.

13. Never put sealant on bricks. Bricks are porous and give out moisture. You don't want them sealed so this can't happen.

14. If you're tempted to buy an over-passage terrace house, save yourself some grief and just buy a large hammer and hit yourself on the knee with it every few minutes - both are painful but one is cheaper than the other by a wide margin.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• iamsalt
    • By iamsalt 19th Jun 17, 8:26 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 4,819 Thanks
    iamsalt
    I agree with the dust/asthma links. We did a deep spring clean of our bedroom (carpeted and was cluttered) as well as sorting through what we keep in the bedroom, and having a window fixed that we haven't been able to open for a year (too scared to find the price out but cheaper than we thought when we bit the bullet).

Since then OH has used his puffer much less, hasn't been snoring as much and I have bee sleeping far better now the room isn't as stuffy . In the new house we aren't going to have carpet in the bedroom as we have noticed such a difference. We are going for underfloor heating too so there won't be as many opportunities for dust to settle.

Everyone has been doing well. I know the frustration of silly costs, we are both clumsy so we try to be more mindful, but still irks when you have to pay when you are doing what you can to save pennies elsewhere.

S x
    2017 the year of learning new skills and mortgage reduction.
    • 12months
    • By 12months 19th Jun 17, 8:56 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    12months
    Thanks for that very helpful list GreyQueen. There’s a few things on there that I can try out like moving the furniture away from the walls. I do leave my bedroom window open during the day but hadn’t thought about a ‘through draft’. I also plan to declutter the house in general so hoping that helps too.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 19th Jun 17, 9:28 PM
    • 3,033 Posts
    • 48,260 Thanks
    silvasava
    Evening All - waited until this evening to pick Blackcurrants and loganberries - nice haul but this weather has made lots of fruit ripen at the same time so I'm gonna be busy! Took my friend shopping although TBH we only did one store. I needed to return some too short trousers and she was looking for bras which she found. I managed to find two pairs of jeans that will be long enough for me. They will replace the ones I have made I to cut offs. I also bought 4 t-shirts that had a scoop neck back and front. I prefer them to strappy ones so grab them when I can. Don't worry - there will be items moving out to accommodate them!
    Hope everyone manages a cooler sleep tonight
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 20th Jun 17, 9:14 AM
    • 27,467 Posts
    • 149,124 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I have trouble with opening windows on both sides of the house to create a through draft. I *can*, but there are still a lot of tree bees in my area, and I get stuff flying in through the windows very, very regularly. And the windows aren't quite big enough for them to find their way *out* so easily I've tried to do it, but the stress of getting them out is awful. 3 of my windows have very modern fly screens, and they're open as often as I can manage.
    Retired August 2016
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 20th Jun 17, 10:24 AM
    • 726 Posts
    • 3,599 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Wednesday 2000: unless the Scratching post is completely knackered, could you donate it to your local cat rescue, or post it on freegle? I volunteer for my local animal rescue and we are always grateful for equipment, even if it's a bit tatty.
    Originally posted by Fen1
    It really is knackered! One of my cats got her claw caught in the top part a while back (not sure how she did it, we just heard her squealing!) and we had to cover it in duct tape.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 20th Jun 17, 10:29 AM
    • 3,033 Posts
    • 48,260 Thanks
    silvasava
    Lots of good advice GQ on ventilation. I remember a work colleague who was buying a house with a flying freehold - nightmare doesn't even begin to cover it!
    Another hot one today mateys but cooling down soon and thunderstorms on the way. Why am I happy about that? Love thunderstorms and my waterbutts need filling up lol!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 20th Jun 17, 2:45 PM
    • 876 Posts
    • 14,785 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Yesterday dh asked me to put all the batteries from the bowl into a baggie for him to dispose of at work. I was convinced not all batteries were dead, so I tested every single one of them using a small torch and my ladyshave We were both right, about 20 were dead, and about 20 still had life in them and are now in an appropriately labelled container.
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 6393,07= £ 5589.79
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • Fen1
    • By Fen1 20th Jun 17, 7:31 PM
    • 1,282 Posts
    • 3,687 Thanks
    Fen1
    Wednesday, I hope your cat is ok? Did she need a check up at the Vet?

Re: battery life. Years ago we had a battery-operated camera. It ate batteries, a la Audrey 2. Yet there was always enough charge left in the batteries for low-consumption gadgets such as alarm clocks, despite the wailings of the ravenous camera.

Today I went grocery shopping and thoroughly checked my receipt as I had a number of offers and wanted to know if they had come through. One had not, and I had been charged full price. According to the customer service desk, that particular offer repeatedly failed. It makes me wonder, 1. why has the shop allowed this repeated failure, 2. how many people have lost money by not checking receipts?
    ( Cynical me has ideas about 1.)
    • SpikyHedgehog
    • By SpikyHedgehog 20th Jun 17, 10:27 PM
    • 981 Posts
    • 9,967 Thanks
    SpikyHedgehog
    We kondoed some money , because I dropped dh's ipad and the screen broke. He found someone who could replace it for just €55, and it was done the same afternoon, but we could have done without the extra cost! A similar amount was kondoed to pay dh's speeding fine.... I'm happy we both have good jobs and decent incomes, but this month is a bit tight and the extra costs are due to stupidity, which makes it extra sour.
    Originally posted by Siebrie
    Siebrie, when DS2 got an Ipad with his birthday money, I made him buy a strong case for it as well, like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Griffin-Survivor-Case-iPad-Black/dp/B009VXH3UW?th=1. It is jolly strong, DS2 has thrown his Ipad all over the place and broken things it has hit, but the Ipad itself and the case are fine. We have them on the Ipads at work as well to protect them from sand, paint, etc and they were a jolly good buy! (Though still more money to pay out...)

Not much done today, only more shredding of old paper out of the filing drawer, and registering for ziffit to get rid of books. While waiting for DS2 to get out of bed this morning so I could get him to school. Had a phone call from the school nurse later to say she'd seen his yesterday & will be seeing him tomorrow but thought we needed some more help for him, so I explained we're all ready putting together a plan for that which we hope will get him the help he needs. She agreed that was the way forward.

Oh, I'd put a couple of things on Fr33gle, and had plenty of takers for the tv from my bedroom, but DS2 wants that for his room. The hamster bedding is waiting to be collected.

DS2's bedroom needs a jolly good sort out - he's got the pl@ymobil & l3go boxes in there, but hardly ever plays with toys. Partly because there's no room, and partly because he has ASD and finds playing with toys hard. And partly of course because he's now 14.

DS1, however, really isn't ready to get rid of the pl@ymobil or l3go, and they are largely his. Or mine, and I'm not quite ready to get rid of them yet either (but then, they count as sentimental for me, and I've not got that far yet ), so the plan is to sort and box them up to make space in DS2's room.
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (21), DS2 (14), and the cat, 1 hamster and DS1's leopard geckos.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 21st Jun 17, 7:41 AM
    • 11,056 Posts
    • 212,938 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Lots of good advice GQ on ventilation. I remember a work colleague who was buying a house with a flying freehold - nightmare doesn't even begin to cover it!
    Another hot one today mateys but cooling down soon and thunderstorms on the way. Why am I happy about that? Love thunderstorms and my waterbutts need filling up lol!
    Originally posted by silvasava
    I wasn't even thinking about the legal aspect, I was remembering the many many incidents I've heard about from people who own these blasted things; the over-passage room is a bedroom, typically, and has a giant 'cold spot' under it and is cold and plagued with damp and mould. Some owners have found these rooms unusable.

Persons with a garage/ carport under a bedroom can experience some of the same joys, I hear.

Sometimes, there are serious defects to a dwelling which are causing mould, such as absent or breached damp courses, covert leaks under floors or behind walls or simply poor orientation of the building to the prevailing land/ weather conditions, collapsed drains outside.

But the surveyors have always said that about 95% of the causes of damp and mould in the home are due to lifestyle issues with the residents, and can thus only be mitigated by changes in habits.

Oh, and if you have a bay window, it's probably not a good idea to have any furniture in the bay itself against the low wall, and areas of wall behind curtains can also be little mould-factories.

Overall, very OS habits like Spring Cleaning, as well as modern things like KM are great habits to acquire and practise.

I mentioned up-thread that I was looking for some more little plastic baskets to corrall the many and varied vegetable products in my fridge, and was keeping an eye peeled in the chazzers as I passed, although I haven't made a concerted shopping trip because I never buy new plastic items.

Anyway, yesterday I had a LBM; there is a plastic basket identical (apart from colour) and a same-sized little plastic crate sitting in a bigger crate on the floor and holding project yarn for my WIP rug. Doh! These things are mere feet away from me and under my eye unless I am either asleep or in the bathroom. How could I have possibly missed them?!

It's true what Marie says about you having all the storage containers you need already. I fetched down a square tray-like basket from the allotment shed, transferred the wool and now I have what I need.

Karmakat, I have had a Thought (today's ration of one thought, saved just for you) - could you improvise a flyscreen by taping up a fine-gauge net curtain? OK, it isn't likely to win decor prizes but it could offer a temporary solution to the problem. HTH.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Floss
    • By Floss 21st Jun 17, 7:43 AM
    • 3,649 Posts
    • 28,167 Thanks
    Floss
    SpikeyHedgehog my DS1 still has his L3go Technic, and indeed bought the new Saturn rocket last week....he's 31!
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 21st Jun 17, 7:57 AM
    • 3,033 Posts
    • 48,260 Thanks
    silvasava
    GQ - we've got two bay windows but I've never had furniture in them and my curtains go across the wall not round the bay so never had a problem. We did have a problem with damp/mould on the outside wall of the hall (north facing) but when we extended the property on that side we found that the drain pipe from the roof just went down a couple of feet into the ground & wasn't connected to anything! It took over 2years for the brickwork to dry out.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 21st Jun 17, 8:09 AM
    • 11,056 Posts
    • 212,938 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Glad you got it sorted.

When we do damp remedial works to our properties, tenants are often disappointed that the problem isn't immediately resolved, particularly if the disruption caused by the works has been extensive, such as digging up their floors etc, or dry-lining whole rooms. You can see their point.

We have to tell them that it might be a year before there are substantial improvements, which doesn't go down well, but buildings only grudgingly give up excess moisture, although I imagine the heatwave is helping some people's homes dry out.

When a flood from the flat above mine saturated the cavity wall, wetting the wall behind my (back-less) kitchen cupboards, I knew the score. I boxed up their contents and stashed them in the sitting-room and had the cupboards empty with doors ajar and windows open whenever possible, for over two months. You can still see a faint shadowing of damp on the external wall where it hasn't quite given up all it's moisture and that's from nearly a year ago.

One great benefit from having an uncluttered home is that you're more likely to be able to see such problems and will have less carp to shift to resolve them.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

737Posts Today

6,400Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin