Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greent
    • By greent 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    • 5,959Posts
    • 60,231Thanks
    greent
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 30th Dec 15 at 12:31 PM
    Link to 2015: thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5146700

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £3490/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £753.38/£500 PAYDOX17 £10335/£10k Decluttered 1200/2017 items
Page 449
    • SpikyHedgehog
    • By SpikyHedgehog 17th Jun 17, 12:30 AM
    • 983 Posts
    • 9,973 Thanks
    SpikyHedgehog
    Clothes finished for now... I know there are some things hiding in the ironing basket, but since that's hiding behind the exercise bike, which is hiding under various komono including swimming bags, tennis rackets & at least 1 motorbike jacket (DS1's), so I think I will take the future re-emergence of the ironing basket to quickly re-visit clothes.

Everything I hung in the wardrobe has gone on the wrong way round, so I can see what I use. My black suit is too tight at the moment, but I'm going to see if it fits better when I need it. Which is basically funerals, so I hope it's a long time before its needed whether it fits me then or not.
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (21), DS2 (14), and the cat, 1 hamster and DS1's leopard geckos.
    • 12months
    • By 12months 17th Jun 17, 8:24 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 533 Thanks
    12months
    Watched a few online videos of the Konmari method then made a start. I laid a huge sheet on the living room floor and emptied the contents of my wardrobe and drawers on it. It was a daunting sight and task but I kept going until it was finished. I've got a couple of black bags for the CS, a couple for the bin and a few items I'll try and sell. I'm left with a smaller pile still on the living room floor. This morning I'm going to sort it into piles of jumpers, dresses, etc and then go through the process again to see if I can get rid of any more. Hoping to have some space and much tidier drawers by lunchtime Next on my list is the kitchen
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 17th Jun 17, 1:21 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 18,343 Thanks
    MMF007
    And in complete contrast to 12months great work...... I finally released a part finished tapestry and the frame to work them on. They survived the first cut on the basis that i would do it in winter. Well winter came and went and i never even thought of tapestry. OUT you go! Local craft group can have it and hopefully it will spark joy there!

Some minor tidying, some laundry put away, washbag prepped for a week away, 'to do' list started (!), vaccing to do and sun to sit in, hmmmm, best prioritise the sun i think!

Laters,

M
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 17th Jun 17, 3:17 PM
    • 3,045 Posts
    • 48,462 Thanks
    silvasava
    MMF007 - yes - grab the sun while you can! The vaccing can wait
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • greent
    • By greent 17th Jun 17, 3:27 PM
    • 5,959 Posts
    • 60,231 Thanks
    greent
    DD is back from uni with all of her stuff - things like the extra single duvets have been kept, as DS1 will likely need them in Sept 2018 when he goes, and I have storage space in my airing cupboard. All of her crockery and pans etc will be going with her to her new flat - she gets the keys in a couple of weeks, so that will then all be exiting again - yippee!! : - along with a couple of extra mugs and glasses from my cupboard to top up her supplies

She is (very) slowly going through stuff in her room - she has existed without much of it for best part of a year, so has decided some can go - we released lots of old expired craft bits and emptied a box, which now has uni notes in (acceptable) and the remaining craft box has been relocated to DS3's room (he's the one most likely to need it for school topic work) Lots of old make up has been binned and old notebooks etc recycled. A small pile of books has been identified for selling at NNS, along with a couple of other items and some little odds and ends for the shoebox appeal. I'd like her to go through everything before end of July - then I can hopefully get the 3 boys to go through their stuff over the school Summer hols.....
    Last edited by greent; 17-06-2017 at 4:14 PM.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £3490/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £753.38/£500 PAYDOX17 £10335/£10k Decluttered 1200/2017 items
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 17th Jun 17, 6:00 PM
    • 3,333 Posts
    • 16,553 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    We have exchanged on our house, and will complete on 10th July. So I think I may have a major clear out between now an then. I sense a lot of stuff being chucked as I pack it all into boxes.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    July NSD's 19/20
    EF Challenger #36 £600/£5050
    / Lose weight 18.4 / 20lbs
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 18th Jun 17, 7:32 AM
    • 694 Posts
    • 18,803 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Ooh, congratulations! It's a real incentive to be ruthless when you have to consider packing, moving, unpacking and rearranging everything.

MMF007 your kitchen sounds incredible- even without opening a cupboard I know I have much more than that! It's my choice to keep lots of mugs as they all get used; I also have an entire cupboard full of baking tins of different shapes and sizes. I love baking and while there are ways round it, having the right size tin can make the difference between success and failure. You've made me think about some of the other stuff though and whether I really need it all.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 18th Jun 17, 9:15 AM
    • 758 Posts
    • 18,343 Thanks
    MMF007
    Er, I have a confession to make.
    I also have a seive;
    8 foil tray bake things that were a pack of 10 (They can be re-used for a few goes) - I use them for cakes for family gatherings;
    a sandwich toaster that we use, mainly in colder months. The sandwich maker did get the joy test and it is definitely staying, even though I am eating very few carbs atm.
    A pottery bread crock we have had for years and I still love it.

I think that's it!

Wondering whether today is a good day to list items in one or two categories. It is so hot already and the UV factor is at a max, I think my fair skin will only stand a few shortish spells in the sun
    Yesterday I popped in and out, alternating between reading in the sun and doing chores inside. It was a pleasant and relaxing day.
    DH is visiting parents today and will be gone all day so i can get up to any mischief i choose!

Enjoy the weather but don't get burnt!
    Last edited by MMF007; 18-06-2017 at 10:32 AM.
    • 12months
    • By 12months 18th Jun 17, 10:28 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 533 Thanks
    12months
    So quite a good weekend. I've done all of my clothes and shoes. 5 black bags for CS, 2 for the bin and 2 with items I'll try and sell. Nice tidy wardrobe and drawers I've also done all the bed linen and towels so they are also sorted and tidied away properly.

I didn't get the kitchen started but I'll see how much energy I have after work this week, I might get it started during the week and finish off next weekend.

I really like the way my wardrobe and drawers look now, and how easy it is to find what I want! I've even put the washing away straight away instead of it lying around for days Hoping I feel the same about the kitchen when I've done it.

• Pooky
    • By Pooky 19th Jun 17, 7:13 AM
    • 6,645 Posts
    • 40,710 Thanks
    Pooky
    I went to empty the last of DD1s student house with her on Saturday so now everything is here! Argggggh! So much stuff. She has a thing for bedding and must have around 12 sets. It's all been shoved in a musty cupboard so I took advantage of the nice drying weather and it's been washed and dried in super quick time. It will all get packed straight into a labled bag ready for her to move out again in the next few weeks.

Got invited to the in laws for a BBQ yesterday, we were chatting about the amount of furniture they have, they said they dont want to chuck it in case it's of any use to anyone in the future (cheap 90's chipboard stuff so no one will want it). MIL said she had her parents wing back chairs in the garage so if anyone in the family does an evening class in upholstery then they can be rescued. We suggested that as neither of our DDs are interested that they either get them done professionally or get rid. They opted for "keep them for now and we'll decide another time". They're not keen on getting rid of anything. They had however been out to buy a new garden umbrella so I asked if the old one had broken but now, it was the wrong shape (???). I said we could really do with it and managed to liberate it before it rots. On opening the garage to fetch it, FIL was surprised to see that a 7.5kg sack of bird seed he'd left on top of an old fridge, had been nibbled to the point of collapse. He's not been in there for over a year so hadn't realised. I suspect it will stay like it for at least another year or 4 too!
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 19th Jun 17, 7:38 AM
    • 3,045 Posts
    • 48,462 Thanks
    silvasava
    Feel your pain Pooky. The wing back chairs have probably been used as a nice nesting place for the mousies who've nibbled the birdseed too
    My friend's son & DiL moved into their own home this weekend. My friend is taking the opportunity to do some decorating then she will have my furniture - it's getting closer to the door
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 19th Jun 17, 8:52 AM
    • 758 Posts
    • 18,343 Thanks
    MMF007
    Round of applause for 12months

I know how you feel Pooky, my folks are just like that (and to be brutal about it, it will be me clearing out when they depart this world). What really upsets me is that having too much stuff, not stored correctly, is hindering their daily living.

Well, when DH finally returned last night he quizzed me on why I was getting rid of the embroidery frame and what happened to the part done embroidery He got short shrift!
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 19th Jun 17, 9:29 AM
    • 11,993 Posts
    • 213,816 Thanks
    greenbee
    pooky - it might be worth saying you'll take stuff (like the chairs) and then saying that sadly they were full of mice/woodworm and had to go to the dump. When my dad was ill he started wanting to get rid of stuff to good homes, so we just said yes (or asked the people he was asking to say yes) and then dealt with it later.
    • grunnie
    • By grunnie 19th Jun 17, 9:45 AM
    • 1,566 Posts
    • 8,759 Thanks
    grunnie
    MMF007 the enjoyment in tapestry is the actual sewing once it's hanging on the wall mine have lost their joy. I was helping at a good as new sale recently and someone had been clearing a friends house ( large house - very very large house) and the lady's hobby was tapestry. We sold quite a few unfinished work but as for the framed large tapestries I couldn't even get £2 for
    them which was such a shame as these obviously gave her much joy when she was alive.
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 19th Jun 17, 11:03 AM
    • 880 Posts
    • 14,839 Thanks
    Siebrie
    We kondoed some money , because I dropped dh's ipad and the screen broke. He found someone who could replace it for just €55, and it was done the same afternoon, but we could have done without the extra cost! A similar amount was kondoed to pay dh's speeding fine.... I'm happy we both have good jobs and decent incomes, but this month is a bit tight and the extra costs are due to stupidity, which makes it extra sour.
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 6393,07= £ 5589.79
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 19th Jun 17, 11:07 AM
    • 733 Posts
    • 3,645 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    A black skirt, two tops and some pj bottoms to go out, all ripped and/or stained with bleach. What do I do to my clothes?!

I'm throwing away an old cat scratching post too.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • elona
    • By elona 19th Jun 17, 1:32 PM
    • 11,005 Posts
    • 57,460 Thanks
    elona
    I managed to put a charity bag outside so at least that is something done.

It is so hot I don't feel up to doing much just now but managed to hang out some washing and load the dishwasher before I get a bus to York to meet a dd.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • Fen1
    • By Fen1 19th Jun 17, 1:49 PM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 3,725 Thanks
    Fen1
    Wednesday 2000: unless the Scratching post is completely knackered, could you donate it to your local cat rescue, or post it on freegle? I volunteer for my local animal rescue and we are always grateful for equipment, even if it's a bit tatty.
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 19th Jun 17, 3:01 PM
    • 880 Posts
    • 14,839 Thanks
    Siebrie
    At work I collect odd sheets of paper, A4, that have little or no printing on, but are thrown away in the recycling bins at the copier. Typically, they would just have a page number on and nothing else, or the confidentiality disclaimer, or a printed watermark. I collect these in a cardboard box that the printer paper gets delivered in, and, once full, donate it to dd2's kindergarten, and they use it to print their weekly updates, and to let the children do all their crafts. Every year I donate a boxful, which is about 2,000 sheets, and yesterday was this year's donation!

I also collect pieces of nicely coloured paper or cardboard, and donate when the (smaller) box is full. I work with silver and glossy red cardboard, and cut off any identifying features, the remaining cardboard goes into this box. They use it mainly for krissmass.
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 6393,07= £ 5589.79
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • kittie
    • By kittie 19th Jun 17, 3:51 PM
    • 10,771 Posts
    • 57,900 Thanks
    kittie
    Thank goodness that my paperwork is filed. Had a letter from the taxman, looking into interest and pension from 25 months ago, just a couple of months after husband died, when I was in a tizz. Also a very big thank goodness that I retained the accountant who phoned me today, requesting/pleading for me to find a small bit of paper from may 2015, all to do with dh passing before age 75 and his sipp and a payment to me

I found it within five minutes, wasn`t even sure that I had been that methodical and also the original letter from the sipp people. Been able to copy both and are now in the post. Bleeping heck, I cannot believe the sheer amount of paperwork I have had to go through after dh passed and how it has continued for so long, just when I was resting on my laurels. Maybe this 16/17 tax year will draw that magic line across. I blooming hope so. I am already hot enough without the heat coming from being bothered

Ok so I have let current paperwork accumulate on the kitchen table for two months. The files are out and I need to get stuck in. The bit I like best is at the end when I can go `phew` but just now, I am to hot to start
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,295Posts Today

7,995Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin