Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greent
    • By greent 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    • 5,928Posts
    • 59,908Thanks
    greent
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 30th Dec 15 at 12:31 PM
    Link to 2015: thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5146700

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £3490/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £753.38/£500 PAYDOX17 £10335/£10k Decluttered 11700/2017 items
Page 446
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 10th Jun 17, 4:12 PM
    • 4,384 Posts
    • 33,327 Thanks
    DawnW
    I have tried, but it fits around the compressor so is a sort of odd P-shape
    Originally posted by Floss
    Have you tried typing the part name, make and model into the search box on ebay? There are quite a few firms on there who supply parts for household machines. Recently I have bought a new door catch mechanism for my elderly washing machine, and a drawer front for my freezer

• Floss
    • By Floss 10th Jun 17, 5:33 PM
    • 3,649 Posts
    • 28,157 Thanks
    Floss
    Thanks for all the suggestions - I checked the Hotpoint price and ordered one from eBay for £7 less with free delivery
    • Floss
    • By Floss 10th Jun 17, 5:38 PM
    • 3,649 Posts
    • 28,157 Thanks
    Floss
    DH and I have also swopped over our 2 fridges, and I took the opportunity to give both a clear-out & clean Several dodgy looking jars were emptied & washed along with a very soggy bit of coriander that was tucked in at the back. I "took one for the team" and have just emptied the wine box into a small glass to enjoy while watching the footie!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 10th Jun 17, 5:51 PM
    • 11,056 Posts
    • 212,932 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    It's important to get those wine boxes fully emptied before disposal, Floss, absolutely critical, in fact. You're going good work there.

I'm busy kondo-ing summat from the freezer and also reading a book from the to-be-read shelf, so what appears to an outsider to be idle pleasure is actually kondo-ing.

I also took my library books back today and got several more out including MK's first book, which I shall re-read to check she really is as mad as a box of frogs (yup). Mad, but strangely successful at changing other people's lives for the better.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 10th Jun 17, 6:23 PM
    • 4,633 Posts
    • 66,645 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Whilst I wouldn't pay a fortune for 'shabby chic' and being none too keen on the 'shabby' aspect. i have tarted up a few bits of furniture in my house with chalk paint and given them new lease of life. Indeed one or two pieces were no longer fit to be seen at all and are lovely now...
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • GoingToDoIt
    • By GoingToDoIt 10th Jun 17, 7:09 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 2,925 Thanks
    GoingToDoIt
    Thanks x-Raphael I want to buy one of those from quid land to wash them in. I have 14 pairs so I fear leaving them in the bag to dry, will make them smell.

Actually the poppers on a ribbon prototype is going well. I also kondoed some dubious "essential oil" into an old vinegar bottle of water to make ironing water.
    Apr 16... Hfax £2551/483 Vrgin £3420/2977 MBNA 2 £2100/0 MBNA1 98/0
    Total cc 0% debt £8364/3460 updated 26 May 17 (halfway to debt free )
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Jun 17, 8:02 PM
    • 27,467 Posts
    • 149,121 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Stuff in my kitchen cupboards is getting a beating being kondoed like mad, as a cleanliness issue. I've got some rejigging to do.
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Rejigging is carrying on apace. Around 20 glass jars being saved for dehydrated greens are now in the recycling - I've bought kilner jars instead over the last year, at charity shops and boot sales. And some ordinary glass jars are still being kept

The glass fruit bowl from my childhood has been unearthed - but it has a crack in it and I can't keep that around, so after a few photos, it will go. A 50p job charity shop kilner jar has got the same thing, so that has to go too.

The Felix-branded feeding bowl (how **old** is that!) never used but obtained as a freebie from when I had cats and bought cat food has had a wash, and I'll sell it on gumtree/facebook.

Dishwasher tabs were in a tatty old cardboard box, one that they were bought in about four years ago ... chucked that, and they're now in a 2 litre kilner jar, the sort with the orange seal. Very unlikely I'll ever make anything that will need storing like that, so it's a great use of a lovely item.

Everything is having/will have a wash, and a wipedown with disinfectant.

Hmm. Just been out to the kitchen to smell that set of cupboards. Better, but not great.

Save
    Retired August 2016
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 10th Jun 17, 10:49 PM
    • 11,056 Posts
    • 212,932 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Lovely peeps, when kondo-ing, esecially when clearing out hard-to-reach spaces such as the cupboard under the stairs, please exercise caution: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4591644/Pensioner-finds-bomb-stairs-puts-shed.html

Sheesh, and to think I worry about finding spiders.......
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Slinky
    • By Slinky 10th Jun 17, 11:11 PM
    • 4,334 Posts
    • 17,804 Thanks
    Slinky
    Very excited. We're in the process of buying a house we plan to retire to in 2-3 years time. We'll rent it out for a while whilst I run down my business.

Have discovered this evening there is a riding school not far from where we will be moving to where we can learn Western riding. Whilst on our honeymoon in Utah we visited a restaurant that was part of a larger operation that runs horse riding trips. Have made a decision tonight that I want to learn to ride well enough to be able to take a week's long Western horse riding trip in the US. OH is happy to go along with this plan.

I rode (very badly) as a child and last sat on a horse on an impulse trip in Portugal about 18 years ago, which was over 25 years since the last time I'd done it!

Well it's good to have a plan.......
    • wort
    • By wort 11th Jun 17, 7:34 AM
    • 292 Posts
    • 5,803 Thanks
    wort
    Good morning all.
    Sent home from hospital by sisters the other day (to rest /have a break ) I had a very sad kondo, cleared hubby's car out , my niece had SORN it and I asked her to see about selling it, after bringing only items to keep in the house, I decided to throw away all his work clothes, they are only fit for rags so easy to bag up as all together.
    My ex - father in law volunteers at a homeless charity so a stack of woolly hats ,scarfs and gloves are earmarked for him, I will do the same with coats once I've asked family if there's any they would like.
    I kept thinking people will think I'm being unfeeling for sorting hubby's stuff whilst he's still with us, but I think I'll really struggle more when he's gone, and it's keeping my mind busy too.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • greent
    • By greent 11th Jun 17, 8:03 AM
    • 5,928 Posts
    • 59,908 Thanks
    greent
    Dishwasher tabs were in a tatty old cardboard box, one that they were bought in about four years ago ... chucked that, and they're now in a 2 litre kilner jar, the sort with the orange seal. Very unlikely I'll ever make anything that will need storing like that, so it's a great use of a lovely item.
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Ooh - great idea - I, too, have an orange seal huuge jar (inherited after my uncle died last year and appears to never have been used) which I was wondering what to do with - dishwasher things it is - thanks, Kc!

((Wort)) - sorry you've got such a sad job to do. I don't think it's unfeeling at all - it's practical to do it now if you have the inclination - later on you will have a whole heap of other stuff to be dealing with at a time when you probably don't want to be doing very much at all. Plus work clothes and woolly hats do not make the person (clumsy words, but I hope you understand) xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £3490/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £753.38/£500 PAYDOX17 £10335/£10k Decluttered 11700/2017 items
    • WeeMidgie
    • By WeeMidgie 11th Jun 17, 8:07 AM
    • 214 Posts
    • 4,212 Thanks
    WeeMidgie
    Dear wort, anything practical which helps you cope at this point can only be good, and often in times of trouble it's the small things we do which help keep us sane and focused on keeping going and holding it together. A bit of control we can exert in a situation which is out of our control.

Sending hugs ((((( )))))
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 11th Jun 17, 8:30 AM
    • 11,056 Posts
    • 212,932 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    (((((((wort))))))))) it's not unfeeling, it's how people cope and no one has the right to judge you.

A woman I only knew as a widow had her husband dying in a coronary care unit. He was conscious and knew he was dying. Family visited and made their last farewells, he took his expensive wristwatch off and handed to an adult grandson.

She gave a door key to a trusted friend with the instruction to go to their house (she was at his bedside) and remove all his clothing and footwear and take it away, she cared not where, as long as she never saw it again.

My aunt was disposing of her late husband's clothing the day after he died. They'd been married over 50 years. It's not a measure of hardness, it's a way of managing a desperately sad situation.

Folks probably know this already but, if you donate clothing to one of the chain charities, you can ask them to send it to another town so you won't have the potential upset of seeing someone else wearing your loved one's former wardrobe.

One of the things which came to light when we cleared out Nan's bungalow last autumn was a stripy bobble hat she'd knitted and rarely worn because she'd become housebound about that time. It went into a chazzer bag and then I took it out again and gave it to an acquaintance. It's his team's colours and he'd had a near-identical handknit hat from his old mum just like it which he'd accidentally ruined in the wash ,which he was gutted about.

To say he was pleased was to considerably understate the issue. Plus, I get to see him wearing it in the cold weather and he always talks about it, it's become an object of joy in his life. Perhaps some people might think a loving family ought to have kept a hat knitted by their late Nan, even if they didn't need it and wouldn't use it, just Because, but I feel that it's a good decision and a reflection of the generous and giving character of my Nan.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Floss
    • By Floss 11th Jun 17, 8:35 AM
    • 3,649 Posts
    • 28,157 Thanks
    Floss
    Wort better that you feel able to do those tasks now, than leave them until later when you may feel less able, just because of what people may think. Only you know how you are, and being practical & sorting stuff out can sometimes help to come to terms with things. Big hug from Blackpool winging its way to you xx
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 11th Jun 17, 9:09 AM
    • 3,033 Posts
    • 48,257 Thanks
    silvasava
    Wort - huge hugs for you. How you manage this incredibly difficult time is your decision and certainly not unfeeling.
    Slinky - go you!! I decided I'd like to learn to sail as I come from a naval family and DH was a merchant seaman. Four years on I now sail a (very small) motor cruiser in the Solent. It gives me great joy! I'm still learning - don't really think you ever stop but it has opened a whole new circle of great supportive friends too. As I'm now in my early seventies my attitude is if I don't do it now I'll never do it!!! Go for your dream!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Jun 17, 9:13 AM
    • 27,467 Posts
    • 149,121 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Ooh - great idea - I, too, have an orange seal huuge jar (inherited after my uncle died last year and appears to never have been used) which I was wondering what to do with - dishwasher things it is - thanks, Kc!
    Originally posted by greent
    Welcome I did use this same jar as a vase for the flowers that Virgin Trains sent me but I get flowers every 10 years or so on average, so I'm happy with the decision. And the tabs are in something waterproof, in case something else awful happens under the sink!

((Wort)) - sorry you've got such a sad job to do. I don't think it's unfeeling at all - it's practical to do it now if you have the inclination - later on you will have a whole heap of other stuff to be dealing with at a time when you probably don't want to be doing very much at all. Plus work clothes and woolly hats do not make the person (clumsy words, but I hope you understand) xx
    I'm just chipping in to agree with everyone else, wort - everyone I know who's had, or is expecting, a bereavement, focuses on the clothes first, they seem to be the least worst thing to do.

Even if that wasn't true, it's nobody's business but yours, what you do and when you do it. Whatever feels right for you xxx

Save
    Retired August 2016
    • grunnie
    • By grunnie 11th Jun 17, 9:23 AM
    • 1,565 Posts
    • 8,731 Thanks
    grunnie
    Wort you go girl and sending a hug. When I had to sadly clear my mum's house I found my dad's clothes and possessions too and he had died a few decades before. I promised myself that my family wouldn't be left such a huge untidy disorganised house to clear. I was an only child and had to clear it all myself - think big house and sheds and garage.
    This is why I find this thread so addictive and am always off to the CS with a bag of stuff.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 11th Jun 17, 9:41 AM
    • 2,719 Posts
    • 34,343 Thanks
    monnagran
    wort: whatever you do or don't do will be right for you. This is a time where rational thinking and logic has no place. You will be all the better for not being continually reminded of someone who is no longer physically there.
    You will have more than enough to cope with dealing with loss and grief, sorting out and disposing of clothes would be like rubbing salt into the wound.

Most of us have had the experience of watching and waiting with a loved one while they slip into their last sleep. We will all be with you in spirit and here to support and console you as you need it.

Just do whatever seems to be right for you. The rest of the world will seem far, far away.

God bless.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 11th Jun 17, 12:45 PM
    • 4,334 Posts
    • 17,804 Thanks
    Slinky
    I dread to think what I'll be faced with if my sibling passes away. They live in the house my Dad lived in for nearly 50 years. I don't think sibling has cleared a thing out of the house since Dad passed away 8 years ago, including his clothes, so I'll be faced with doing both (sibling won't let me in the house).
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 11th Jun 17, 12:46 PM
    • 4,334 Posts
    • 17,804 Thanks
    Slinky
    I have today kondoed the information for my accountant to do my tax return.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

947Posts Today

7,044Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin