Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greent
    • By greent 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    • 5,940Posts
    • 59,968Thanks
    greent
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 30th Dec 15 at 12:31 PM
    Link to 2015: thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5146700

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £3490/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £753.38/£500 PAYDOX17 £10335/£10k Decluttered 10/2017 items
Page 436
    • LizzieR
    • By LizzieR 18th May 17, 1:03 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 1,983 Thanks
    LizzieR
    Oh LizzieR, what a wonderful testimony to the wonders of a kondo'd life! That's what it's all about, isn't it, ease of living and confidence to be social without stressing about it.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    Certainly is! I couldn't believe how happy I was for someone to visit without notice :-)

Coming home after my holiday to a clean and tidy home was soooo lovely! Unpacked and had washing on within minutes which was just amazing - so much less stressful than it used to be.

Right, time to catch up on what you've all had to say whilst I've been away - I may be some time.....
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 18th May 17, 3:14 PM
    • 4,634 Posts
    • 48,390 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    For clothes, I now use Ulla Popken. Im a plus size, but they do little people clothes too ! Not the cheapest, I only buy sale items .. but being a German company, the quality is very good and they last ages and still look good. They do have a Uk website.
    Originally posted by Mara_uk7
    Thank you Mara, I don't think I've come across them but will have a look
    • loocyloo
    • By loocyloo 18th May 17, 9:25 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 1,418 Thanks
    loocyloo
    I used to love my Kindle for reading on the train when I commuted, as I never ran out of books, and it's useful on holiday for the same reason. At home I tend to read library books or charity-shop and boot sale books which are passed on to my sister or returned to the shop, I only keep classics that I think I'll read again.

Originally posted by PollyWollyDoodle
    I too only use my kindle when travelling or on holiday! I prefer to read 'proper' books at home, and they are generally library books with occasional CS book.

I put the kindle app on my phone, which means I am never without a book whatever happens, as I always have my phone with me ( except on holiday as I refuse to take it! )

I have taken 3 bags of stuff to the charity shop this week ... I don't know where it comes from! very little enters the house apart from food and yet bagfulls leave it!
    • kittie
    • By kittie 19th May 17, 7:17 AM
    • 10,750 Posts
    • 57,793 Thanks
    kittie
    Lizzie

we should call this the `happy kondo` thread. The most uplifting thread on mse imo

The new me is starting to emerge slowly and I ordered a mascara from green people and a new organic face moisturiser with a hint of tint. I may well go and order some new specs soon, I am so fed up of these lenses that smear so easily, they were expensive but I think it is the coating on them. Two years now so I should be due an eyetest soon. Has anyone ever tried cryzal lenses? I am glad I kept all my older specs as my prescription hasn`t changed much, so I do wear a much bigger frame when on my bike, it stops the wind whistling into my eyes

Clothes, I started wearing layers a couple of days ago, cotton t shirt and cotton sweatshirt. This is going to be the way forward for me in future, at least when I am home, which is most of the time. It is going to be the theme for kondo stage two, when the allotment season has slowed down
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th May 17, 8:46 AM
    • 27,467 Posts
    • 149,125 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I'm not properly kondoing them yet but ... ornaments. I'm getting my 2nd bedroom in order so that my sister can stay there when she's having work done on her house, and wondered about actual ornaments. They haven't been unpacked since I moved here in August 2010

I just peeked at the tiny ones, one inch or so high, which go into a glass display case I bought in Spain. Two definitely sparked huge amounts of joy, two definitely didn't, others undecided yet. I'm shocked!
    Retired August 2016
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 19th May 17, 10:33 AM
    • 876 Posts
    • 14,786 Thanks
    Siebrie
    I'm back from 3 days in Amsterdam, dds were very happy to see me DH too, but I didn't see him until about midnight last night, as he had a work dinner. I've left a pair of lovely but uncomfortable sandals behind, and I've brought some chocolates and a small hourglass back (gifts from hotel for 'important guests' lol, I'm not....). The weather was lovely, and I managed to do a little bit of sightseeing in the hours between the meetings and the dinners.

As usual on these multiday meetings, the airconditioning everywhere was full on, and the alcohol flowed freely in the evenings. I must have drunk about 4 liters of water per day, just to stay hydrated and dilute the effects of the alcohol. My Department is rather calm and levelheaded, but the Department we had the meeting with, knows how to party (that's a good thing - it's their job to be outgoing and the life of the party).

Unpacking my small suitcase took all of 5 minutes
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 6393,07= £ 5589.79
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 19th May 17, 4:02 PM
    • 11,056 Posts
    • 212,947 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Darlings, I thought of you when overhearing a long convo at my pal's shop about someone whose ancestral home (they got back into it about 1700 after Cromwell's artillery had knocked it about a bit) has been un-kondo'd from then to now.

Gordon Bennett, can you imagine 300+ years of never throwing anything away?! When the contents of your outbuildings include cannonballs and pikes from Cromwell's time? My mind is purely boggling...........

Puts things into perspective, hey?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• greenbee
    • By greenbee 19th May 17, 4:19 PM
    • 11,986 Posts
    • 213,717 Thanks
    greenbee
    I just know you're desperate to have a look GQ - maybe you should put a bid in for the job? Could be quite lucrative - day rate, small service charge for all the contractors you employ (you'd get good rates from the skip hire company), your pal to assess and sell on any valuables and a small percentage of the income for yourself.

And probably enough work to see you through to retirement.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 19th May 17, 4:34 PM
    • 11,056 Posts
    • 212,947 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    It's a couple of hundred miles away.

Besides, I'm busy being menopausal and feeling like **** this week.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• greenbee
    • By greenbee 19th May 17, 4:39 PM
    • 11,986 Posts
    • 213,717 Thanks
    greenbee
    But then you could charge travel and accommodation and sublet your flat

And as mostly it will be bossing other people around project management, being menopausal is probably a bonus.

We've had a MASSIVE hailstorm here. The garden is white, gutters are overflowing as they are frozen solid with hailstones, and the road is flooded. Raining now, but the thunder and lightning are still pretty much overhead.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 19th May 17, 6:03 PM
    • 11,056 Posts
    • 212,947 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I wanted to share something which only the rest of you might understand; I've just run out of printer paper, quite knowingly, and I'm OK with this.

This is the second of the two reams I bought at the same time at the local stationery emporium (5 mins' stroll away, open seven days a week). About two years ago, mebbe even longer, I went up there to buy one ream of paper.

An imp of satan err a perfectly nice shop assistant following his employer's instructions, drew my attention to an offer where I could have two reams at the same time for slightly less (a quid I think) than two reams separately.

Mug that I am, even knowing I barely use one ream a year, I jumped on it with both fists and then cursed myself for a fool as I had the second ream in my way for ages.

I vowed I'd not do that again, and have knowingly let myself run out completely. I shall get some more tomorrow, if we're spared, and if the zombie apocalypse strikes overnight, not having printer paper will be the least of my worries.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Pooky
    • By Pooky 20th May 17, 7:24 AM
    • 6,643 Posts
    • 40,698 Thanks
    Pooky
    I've kondod a makeshift desk that was cluttering up the conservatory and replaced it with a proper one from the study that's far more suitable. Said old desk was built from old bits of 2 other desks to sit over the tumble dryer.....the tumble dryer died so it all needed to come out and be reorganised. I had a quick search online to find the most likely cause of the death of the dryer, found a very informative video, followed it and replaced the drive belt and jockey wheel and hey presto it's working again! £38 worth of spare parts and an afternoon of taking all my aggression out on an inanimate object....what could be better.

DD1 is bringing back more stuff from her Uni house later today so hoping to go with her and persuade her that some of it can go straight to the CS or tip before we get home.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • iamsalt
    • By iamsalt 20th May 17, 3:49 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 4,820 Thanks
    iamsalt
    Hello. Thanks for all the advice on selling bits and bobs from mum's. I am going to see what there is at the end of next week and make a decision. We are quite rural so I don't know how successful Facebk will be but I have joined a local group, and got scared!

Have spent today kondoing weeds and potting on some plants in the garden that I want to take when I move. Most are from splitting current plants so not removing any.
    Of to local am dram this evening. Always good for a giggle x
    2017 the year of learning new skills and mortgage reduction.
    • LizzieR
    • By LizzieR 20th May 17, 4:09 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 1,983 Thanks
    LizzieR
    Hello. Thanks for all the advice on selling bits and bobs from mum's. I am going to see what there is at the end of next week and make a decision. We are quite rural so I don't know how successful Facebk will be but I have joined a local group, and got scared!

Have spent today kondoing weeds and potting on some plants in the garden that I want to take when I move. Most are from splitting current plants so not removing any.
    Of to local am dram this evening. Always good for a giggle x
    Originally posted by iamsalt
    I've managed to get rid of a couple of bigger bits on Gumtree as well. Managed to persuade my folks to put a few things on there too and they've had great success - I say they've put things on there, but obviously I mean I did it for them....!

Major kondo of a rather different variety for me yesterday. I had my hair cut..... I had grown it to my waist and a few months ago was planning on having it cut, but last weekend I had a themed a wedding to go to, so had kept it long for that. Yesterday it was all cut off and is now about chin length! The 18 inch plaits that were cut off are packaged up to be sent to the little princess trust, and I'm very happy with my much easier / quicker to manage hair. It's about the 4th time I've grown it long and had it chopped, so it's less of a shock for me than for my friends I think! Never donated it before though, so am feeling quite virtuous at the moment.
    In terms of kondoing it doesn't mean I have loads of things I can get rid of, as I've never been one for hair products or things to put in my hair, the main thing is it will save me so much time - I'm very much of the wash it and leave it type, but when it was so long I had to use the hairdryer much more, and trying to do anything more than a ponytail or bun just took ages!
    I think this fits in with the KM idea as it's about making life simpler and easier, and I'm certainly experiencing a lot of joy from my new haircut - I have to keep stopping myself from looking in the mirror
    • greent
    • By greent 20th May 17, 4:50 PM
    • 5,940 Posts
    • 59,968 Thanks
    greent
    Major kondo of a rather different variety for me yesterday. I had my hair cut..... I had grown it to my waist and a few months ago was planning on having it cut, but last weekend I had a themed a wedding to go to, so had kept it long for that. Yesterday it was all cut off and is now about chin length! The 18 inch plaits that were cut off are packaged up to be sent to the little princess trust,
    Originally posted by LizzieR
    Fab cause - well done to you xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £3490/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £753.38/£500 PAYDOX17 £10335/£10k Decluttered 10/2017 items
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 20th May 17, 8:47 PM
    • 3,355 Posts
    • 16,518 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    I kondoed my tatty gym trainers yesterday, after buying a new pair.
    While I was in the shoe cupboard I also took the opportunity to throw out my grey ankle boots. I really liked them, but the heels had worn thru to the metal peg. They had gone far past a repairable condition, and while they still looked smart from the front, they looked tatty from the back.
    It caused a little twinge as they went in the bin, but I knew I would never wear them again in the state they were in, so it was good to clear a space on the shoe rack.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    July NSD's 13/20
    EF Challenger #36 £1400/£4000
    / Lose weight 17.6 / 20lbs
    • erin_transport
    • By erin_transport 20th May 17, 11:42 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 1,033 Thanks
    erin_transport
    I actively watched some Kondo YouTube videos to inspire me to get going. Once I started I just couldn't stop. My dress wardrobe has now been listed on eBay. Paid an utter fortune for some beautiful designer items, wore them once, enjoyed them and then to my shame - hung them in darkness and they never saw light again until today. I actually enjoyed pulling them out and popping them on the mannequin - they reminded me of all the lovely events I went to and the nice friends I have, they do spark joy, however, they will now perhaps find a new owner who will also enjoy them. Fingers crossed.
    On a mission!
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 21st May 17, 7:38 AM
    • 953 Posts
    • 4,112 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    iamsalt,
    we are also fairly rural and Facebook selling seems quiet here.
    we have had a lot of success with freegle, if you have a larger item and you just want rid of it, you could advertise it on there,
    i know you don't get cash for it but if its going to be difficult to cart to the tip, its an easy option to just get someone to take it away for you
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 21st May 17, 4:21 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 18,186 Thanks
    MMF007
    Been busy pottering today, although that is probably a contradiction, I know!
    Lots of little jobs mopped up, so things feel more orderly.

I also hung 2 pictures. My new extremely joyful felt picture of a fox curled up asleep and one i had framed for DH. The recently framed one is a pic of the same boat as takes up space in my living room. I have hung the picture in a prominent position in the LR with the hope that i will be permitted to move the dratted model boat!
    DH was working this morning so I got on with the jobs in peace, with no 'help', iykwim!

He is not that impressed with where the pictures are hung but I am
    He just takes a while to get used to change, bless him Plus he may suspect, rightly, that the boat picture is located so that the boat model can be removed from LR

All clothes from hols now either hung up to dry or already put away
    All stuff required for work tomorrow is already in the car. Diary has been consulted and have got my head round extra few hours work i had booked in , and dentist appointment

Cleaned kitchen worktops and bathroom in a few mins due to minimal clutter

Am about to measure a small but tall-ish cupboard that needs a shelf to make it really useful. I have managed with a couple of boxes stacked inside but a shelf would make life much easier because i could reach everything without wrestling the boxes round. I feel ridiculously happy at the prospect of a shelf!!

I may have time to kondo craft stash again because I made soup this morning so DH can 'make' tea (ie, reheat soup and make toast ).
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • WeeMidgie
    • By WeeMidgie 21st May 17, 8:14 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 4,224 Thanks
    WeeMidgie
    Time to swap summer clothes out of the suitcase, and put winter clothes in. A fresh eye cast on the summer clothes led to 5 items being culled. All of the winter clothes have passed muster till the autumn, when I will reassess.

Since the initial clothes kondo, each seasonal swap over has been swift and painless. There is an unexpected issue, in that I've been a UK size 12 for years, but recent illness has shrunk me to a size 10. I look ridiculous in my size 12 jeans and smart trousers, so in case I revert, I've stored them and have bought a couple of pairs of size 10 jeans from charity shops so that I look OK just now. I used to be a size 10 up till about 10 years ago, but have no clothes left from that time.

A few tops now look far too large, and I may take the best of them to be altered, if my weight stabilises at current levels.

And I have made a start on komono, at last. I have a bag of dead or superannuated small electrical items and old batteries at the back door, bound for the recycling depot tomorrow, along with a cassette radio which has expired. It's good to see more space appearing.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

105Posts Today

1,745Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin