Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greent
    • By greent 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    • 5,809Posts
    • 58,664Thanks
    greent
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 30th Dec 15 at 12:31 PM
    Link to 2015: thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5146700

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Repaid mtge early (orig end 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next up: BTL Mtge 12/16 Bal £69786. 2017 OP target (#18) £2000/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £457.00/£500 PAYDOX17 £9435/£10k Decluttered 741/2017 items
Page 435
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 14th May 17, 5:03 PM
    • 4,186 Posts
    • 17,029 Thanks
    Slinky

Also - why do clothes come with half a dozen labels in? I'm sure I could wear a smaller sized bra if there weren't 6 labels sewn in (M&S)!
    Originally posted by camelot1001
    Pair of swimming shorts just been delivered by Azon for OH. He's tried them on and we've cut out all the labels already!
    • maryb
    • By maryb 14th May 17, 7:24 PM
    • 3,253 Posts
    • 38,337 Thanks
    maryb
    brain not working today - can't for the life of me work out what LTS stands for
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • maryb
    • By maryb 14th May 17, 7:28 PM
    • 3,253 Posts
    • 38,337 Thanks
    maryb
    Did some effective kondoing today which brought much joy. Last of the early rhubarb, not enough by itself for a crumble but had the thought of combining it with half a punnet of strawberries left over from yesterday, again not enough to do anything useful with. Also used the zest and juice from a slightly tired orange.

OMG it was the nicest crumble EVER!! Plus I made some icecream to use up some cream nearing its useby and added the dregs of some Lidl ersatz Grand Marnier which echoed the taste of the orange and now we are sitting around sighing happily
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 14th May 17, 7:43 PM
    • 3,686 Posts
    • 26,743 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    brain not working today - can't for the life of me work out what LTS stands for
    Originally posted by maryb
    Long Tall Sally!
    "Shop" From Stash (5 skeins down!)
    OS Weight Loss 5/3
    • maryb
    • By maryb 14th May 17, 7:52 PM
    • 3,253 Posts
    • 38,337 Thanks
    maryb
    Of course!! Thank you
    • enchilada
    • By enchilada 14th May 17, 8:22 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    enchilada
    Joining in after a long absence!

Last year I followed the Kondo method and decided to get rid of just over half my clothes. I haven't regretted this decision at all- it made my wardrobe so much easier to use and, for a while, at least, I felt like I was wearing a greater variety of outfits.

The problem was that I never actually got rid of them. They sat in the attic until we finally got round to doing a boot sale, whereupon they sat in the car because we didn't bring any rails to put them out, and they've sat collecting dust bunnies under the bed ever since waiting for another boot sale.

Well, I decided this afternoon that the boot sale is never going to happen and pulled them all out again. The dust played absolute havoc with my nose, I sneezed so much! And to think we've been sleeping on all of that. I sorted a few things for eBay, some for a rough sleeper I see each morning on my way to work and another bag for things I think a friend may like and then piled all the bags in the car for the chazzer (although that will have to wait until next weekend now). (Edit: and another bag for fabric recycling, stuff I thought no one would want)

I should feel good about it but actually I'm feeling a bit disheartened. That they've been there so long makes me feel really lazy, and I feel bad for having spent so much money on all of it. Plus it just reminds me of how much else I still have and that still needs doing.

I've decided to reward myself with a glass of port anyway! And thought you lovely people could provide some much needed inspiration.
    Last edited by enchilada; 14-05-2017 at 8:46 PM.
    "I don’t keep up with the Joneses, I try to drag them down to my level" - Quentin Crisp
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 14th May 17, 8:50 PM
    • 10,919 Posts
    • 210,282 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    (((enchilada))) I'm sure most of us could tell a similar tale (or three dozen).

If it helps, most of the monetary value disappeared the moment you carried those clothes out of the shop. Seriously.

Unless you're in childrens' sizing, 20% was the VAT gouge, and the grubbyment got it. Then the mere fact that the clothes are now secondhand depreciated the other 80% to almost nothing. Worth pennies on the pound if re-sold. If you can find a buyer.

So, bearing in mind that the monetary value is almost nil, and has been almost nil since you bought them, what you have is a load of unrecoverable sunk costs. Plus the utility of said garments.

And you can only use the utility by using them yourself, or realise the utility by allowing someone else to use them, by releasing them from dusty captivity in your home.

Clothes like this are teachers; they teach us that we don't want those particular styles or colours again. Or, like some of my larger clothes, that I shouldn't have eaten soooo many pies.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• MMF007
    • By MMF007 14th May 17, 8:56 PM
    • 679 Posts
    • 16,819 Thanks
    MMF007
    (((enchilada))) I'm sure most of us could tell a similar tale (or three dozen).

If it helps, most of the monetary value disappeared the moment you carried those clothes out of the shop. Seriously.

Unless you're in childrens' sizing, 20% was the VAT gouge, and the grubbyment got it. Then the mere fact that the clothes are now secondhand depreciated the other 80% to almost nothing. Worth pennies on the pound if re-sold. If you can find a buyer.
    yes
    So, bearing in mind that the monetary value is almost nil, and has been almost nil since you bought them, what you have is a load of unrecoverable sunk costs. Plus the utility of said garments.
    yes

And you can only use the utility by using them yourself, or realise the utility by allowing someone else to use them, by releasing them from dusty captivity in your home.
    yes

Clothes like this are teachers; they teach us that we don't want those particular styles or colours again. Or, like some of my larger clothes, that I shouldn't have eaten soooo many pies.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    er, yes, me too! (Not pies though, crisps .
    JUST SAY NO !
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 15th May 17, 7:12 AM
    • 10,919 Posts
    • 210,282 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Oxfam Swansea's desperate plea; http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/15/stop-giving-us-copies-da-vinci-code-say

I've noticed that every single chazzer's DVD rack seems to contain several copies of certain movies, too. '300' is one of them, as well as the multi-part Bourne movies, The Matrix franchise and the Lord of the Rings movies.

Perhaps, by the time we're ready to part with something, everyone else is parting with it, and the eventual disposal will be a problem.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• short_bird
    • By short_bird 15th May 17, 10:14 AM
    • 1,773 Posts
    • 25,216 Thanks
    short_bird
    I've noticed that every single chazzer's DVD rack seems to contain several copies of certain movies, too. '300' is one of them, as well as the multi-part Bourne movies, The Matrix franchise and the Lord of the Rings movies.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    I suppose DaVinci Code was one of the last phenomenally popular book in paper form, closely followed by the Twilight saga. I don't see that many copies of "50 Shades..." maybe because it was supposed to be phenomenally popular on Kindle.

Am working on condensing books, CD's and DVD's at the moment; a donate pile is building up in the kitchen and a "sell" pile to the left of me. Plan is to confine them to a certain space and then, if they stop fitting in that space, then they need culling.

Have found I have a lot less patience with stuff I'm not enjoying: for example, one book I bought from the chazzer on Saturday is going back there today. 20 pages in and I was underwhelmed...
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
    • greent
    • By greent 15th May 17, 11:34 AM
    • 5,809 Posts
    • 58,664 Thanks
    greent
    Have found I have a lot less patience with stuff I'm not enjoying: for example, one book I bought from the chazzer on Saturday is going back there today. 20 pages in and I was underwhelmed...
    Originally posted by short_bird
    My view is that there are 000s of books out there which I haven't read and which I may enjoy - so why waste time making myself slog through something which isn't working for me when the next book which I try may be a real page-turner
    Repaid mtge early (orig end 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next up: BTL Mtge 12/16 Bal £69786. 2017 OP target (#18) £2000/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £457.00/£500 PAYDOX17 £9435/£10k Decluttered 741/2017 items
    • BettiePage
    • By BettiePage 15th May 17, 3:33 PM
    • 4,464 Posts
    • 9,978 Thanks
    BettiePage
    I've had a Kindle for several years now (on my 3rd one). As an avid reader of at least one book a week, the Kindle has saved sooooo much room on our bookshelves. DH is only semi converted and DS still resists all attempts at conversion.
    This move I only have work related text books, DH has packed 7 boxes and counting of his books and DS will definitely have more than that!
    Illegitimi non carborundum.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th May 17, 6:46 PM
    • 27,216 Posts
    • 146,286 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Definitely agree on how great a kindle is for space saving

I'm currently on the last day of my catsitting gig - no kondoing around here, by me or the people I'm catsitting for. Its a really different way of life, and these people have only lived in their place for a couple of years. Kondoing in the house is going top of the list when I get home, I've been paying more attention to the garden.
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.Save
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 15th May 17, 8:04 PM
    • 679 Posts
    • 16,819 Thanks
    MMF007
    Hi Karmacat

We are still in Scotland. Today we bought holiday presents for ourselves.
    I bought a lovely, very simple design of bracelet
    When i get home i shall kondo some costume jewellery because it does need a revisit. I did pass on several items to a niece when i first did MK but feel more ruthless as time goes on!

DH chose a pretty glass plate for the bathroom wall from the same establishment.

Both items spark joy.

Best of all, we both resisted dust-gathers of tat / beautifully packaged over-priced gubbins, and fattening consumables

We have just been sat in front of a log fire in companiable quiet, colouring pretty patterns. Bliss.
    The patterns are on postcards from a colouring book. We are going to write the cards and send them to our nieces and parents in lieu of traditional holiday postcards
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 16th May 17, 9:07 AM
    • 829 Posts
    • 14,058 Thanks
    Siebrie
    I'm away with work for three days, and have written a timetable for dh I'll be sooo appreciated when I come back This Wednesday, especially, it is a bit hectic with swimming lessons, birthday party, music and ballet lessons.
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 6085,65= £ 5129.77
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 16th May 17, 10:07 AM
    • 2,929 Posts
    • 46,742 Thanks
    silvasava
    Just think how he'll appreciate your 'easy life' Siebrie Karma??
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th May 17, 1:03 PM
    • 27,216 Posts
    • 146,286 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hi Karmacat
    Originally posted by MMF007
    Hiya

We are still in Scotland. Today we bought holiday presents for ourselves.
    I bought a lovely, very simple design of bracelet
    When i get home i shall kondo some costume jewellery because it does need a revisit. I did pass on several items to a niece when i first did MK but feel more ruthless as time goes on!

DH chose a pretty glass plate for the bathroom wall from the same establishment.

Both items spark joy.

Best of all, we both resisted dust-gathers of tat / beautifully packaged over-priced gubbins, and fattening consumables

We have just been sat in front of a log fire in companiable quiet, colouring pretty patterns. Bliss.
    The patterns are on postcards from a colouring book. We are going to write the cards and send them to our nieces and parents in lieu of traditional holiday postcards
    That sounds lovely! I haven't come across sets of postcards like that, thats a great idea.

Hereabouts - it's odd, everything is quite distracting - just not set up for where I put the computer, etc etc - my house must be more kondoed than I realised, though it still doesn't feel like it. I'm only an hour away from my own house, no need for purchases, but many digital photos - including a heron 50 yards from The Thames very happy with that, much joy has been sparked.

Save
    Save
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.Save
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 16th May 17, 7:19 PM
    • 3,265 Posts
    • 15,790 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    I don't see that many copies of "50 Shades..." maybe because it was supposed to be phenomenally popular on Kindle.
    Originally posted by short_bird
    I think for the main reason, no-one could see the title of the book you were reading!

I've had a Kindle for several years now (on my 3rd one). As an avid reader of at least one book a week, the Kindle has saved sooooo much room on our bookshelves.
    Originally posted by BettiePage
    I love my kindle, I can just slip it in my bag and if the opportunity arises, I have my books with me.
    I do have a bookshelf full of books special to me thou...my Michael Crichton collection, my Redwall collection, LOTR & The Hobbit, Watership Down, and all my favourites growing up.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    May NSD's12/20
    EF Challenger #36 £1100/£4000
    / Lose weight 13/ 20lbs
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 17th May 17, 5:15 PM
    • 647 Posts
    • 18,338 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    I used to love my Kindle for reading on the train when I commuted, as I never ran out of books, and it's useful on holiday for the same reason. At home I tend to read library books or charity-shop and boot sale books which are passed on to my sister or returned to the shop, I only keep classics that I think I'll read again.

Still trying to Kondo the craft projects.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 17th May 17, 10:16 PM
    • 679 Posts
    • 16,819 Thanks
    MMF007
    Spent part of this evening happily painting another postcard. That will go in the post tomorrow

Have gently started dropping hints about the 2 main items I want to kondo, to make more space. I reckon if i just mention that i may be thinking about what to do with the items and who might like them, given time and patience, DH may get the idea As always, DH will not let anything go unless he can think of someone to pass it to. I have used his prefered charity to help the process in the past but he first tries to offer things to his family. They have wised up now and have their excuses ready. They simply do not keep crud they don't need! Obviously it is not genetic
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,491Posts Today

6,280Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin