Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greent
    • By greent 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    • 6,196Posts
    • 62,725Thanks
    greent
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 30th Dec 15 at 12:31 PM
    Link to 2015: thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5146700

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £4151/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1152.39/£500 PAYDOX17 £11333/£10k Decluttered 1515/2017 items
Page 417
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 19th Apr 17, 6:57 PM
    • 12,089 Posts
    • 214,742 Thanks
    greenbee
    YorksLass I actually quite like the sewing-up, It's the actual knitting that gets me down! If you are ever over my way on the Lancashire coast, bring your bits of knitting with you!
    Originally posted by Floss
    Well there's a solution ... everyone post their knitting to Floss to sew up
    • Floss
    • By Floss 19th Apr 17, 7:30 PM
    • 3,830 Posts
    • 30,497 Thanks
    Floss
    Well there's a solution ... everyone post their knitting to Floss to sew up
    Originally posted by greenbee
    First arrival, first sewn...
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 19th Apr 17, 8:51 PM
    • 920 Posts
    • 15,529 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Floss, can I send my mending pile your way, too?

One teatowel in the ragbag.
    One barb1e had its foot cut off in an unfortunate accident and is now in the pile to take to the technical waste at the recycling centre (it played music, so I assume there are some electric parts inside). It was one of the nicer ones, so that's a bit of a shame.

I'm finishing Spark Joy, and have the feeling she has been to my house! She describes the way I use my bathroom drawers, the kitchen cupboards, and the paper stock items!
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 6466,86= £ 5589.79
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • Floss
    • By Floss 19th Apr 17, 9:06 PM
    • 3,830 Posts
    • 30,497 Thanks
    Floss
    Floss, can I send my mending pile your way, too?
    Originally posted by Siebrie
    Sorry, don't do mending apart from buttons or hems!
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 19th Apr 17, 10:44 PM
    • 765 Posts
    • 19,735 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Well I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with craft UFOs. One of mine is a jumper I made for my friend's baby, but I didn't like the wool I'd chosen when it was made. When I looked, it's practically finished but you guessed it, it needs sewing up! I'm going to finish it and send it off to Knit for peace.

Another is a rag rug, the first time I've ever made one - I think the finished item will spark joy, or at least be useful but I'm really not enjoying the process. At the moment I've got two sewing projects and one knitting project which have been requested by other people, so I have got to finish them. I think after these I'm going to do something for myself- I'm fed up with doing things for others.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • fpcat
    • By fpcat 19th Apr 17, 11:25 PM
    • 298 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    fpcat
    My oldest wip is at least 22 years old. It's a very nice cross-stitch panel of a dream catcher, which I intended as an 18th birthday present for my son's then girlfriend. I loved the cross-stitch, hated the girlfriend. He didn't marry her, I never finished it. If I did now it would take 2 days max, and I could get rid of the embroidery frame, the pattern and the spare threads, so why don't I? Because of that girl, she really put me off it!
    I also have one of those readicut rugs from my mil's which is really too bad to use, but DH refuses to let it go. As far as kondoing goes a change in medication means an unexpected weight loss, and 3 large black bags of too large clothes ready for the CS. I had to stop or I would have been clothesless. DH is quite happy for me to start looking for some new clothes but I don't know if I will continue to lose weight and need to go down a size again.
    DH has thoroughly hoovered through today and although the house is still very much untidy it looks so much better for just that one thing.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 20th Apr 17, 7:51 AM
    • 11,048 Posts
    • 60,923 Thanks
    kittie
    Did it again because I left things unfinished in the bedroom from the day. I stayed up later than normal because I decided to watch that internet scam programme, then I moved a couple of things and before I knew it, my jewellery was tidied. I have a few lovely clear small muji sets sof two drawers. They are so clear that they aren`t in your face, so two are now on show and one is on my bedside table. All well and good but it set my mind to being awake and I didn`t sleep at all well but I know why, so at least that is good. They will be a quick clean with a feather duster, I won`t be rubbing them or they will get static

I wanted to get some of those marvellous vileda cloths that last and wash but aren`t microfibre or sponge, they squeeze very well for starters. I used to get them from lakeland but they don`t have them, tried amazon and found similar from vileda, ordered them. Then went onto the vileda site and they were half the cost, so I quickly cancelled amazon order. I have decided to kondo the rest of my cloths today, I have too many that I don`t use because they are too wet for too long. My t towels are all good but it is the cloths and it is an easy kondo because they are in neat piles after initial kondo. I also ordered a turbo mop and bucket, how these things have changed and I have room in my utility

I could do with having another round of kondo in my main craft room but it looks very tidy in there, even though too many boxes are full, so as it is not enticing me, I will leave it. I did kondo a small amount of fluff (wool fibre) stuff that I bought by the bag, called waste wool from world of wool. I used felting needles and made a brilliant small fox, which is on show next to my small carved fox. I might consider making some christmas tree baubles ongoing from now, they will be useful and it does get rid of fibre. Its a nice quiet sit for a few hours but I still need to finish my knitted sleeve, so that will be first. Its kind of an easier thing to do on a dull day, knitting that is

fpcat, that made me laugh out loud
    • Shortie
    • By Shortie 20th Apr 17, 7:55 AM
    • 2,189 Posts
    • 11,758 Thanks
    Shortie
    Morning all

GQ, how did the 'Sausagemeat Mercy Mission' go? The mind boggles

Like many others, I've been sorting smaller pikes of Komono this week istead of tackling bigger things

I've got half a bag for the CS (will take that into town with me on Saturday when I have a hair cut) and some children's books went to a friend

The reduced soft fruits that I got the other day have been mostly dealt with and are being Kondo'd into tummies or went into the freezer on the day. Chicken pieces that were bought have been stripped of meat and have been frozen for future sarnies. Two more punnets of plums to deal with, I'll either slice and freeze them or make them into more sticky plum flapjack. See how the mood takes me

DS2 snaffled my (now empty) grey wool unit to put toys in - it was destined for the loft - which helped tidy his and my room

This weekend will hopefully see a tip run (garden clippings from the Easter weekend) and putting decorating stuuf into the loft

Have a good day all
    Apologies if there are random typos - I am usually replying via my phone
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 20th Apr 17, 8:06 AM
    • 11,195 Posts
    • 215,555 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Morning all

GQ, how did the 'Sausagemeat Mercy Mission' go? The mind boggles
    Originally posted by Shortie
    My mind was boggling, too!

Short version is that pal's mum is self-catering a large family party which is involving multiple bakeathons and she'd bought rather expensive sausagemeat (2.6 kilos) at the weekend and it was about to go OOD.

Pal was concerned that the sausage rolls wouldn't get made and this sausagemeat would end in the bin so we three (me, pal and pal's mum) spent an evening making sausage rolls.

We also had YS run on the way up there, and dinner. They were chortling that I'd been kidnapped and forced to slave over a hot stove. I was delivered back to Shoebox Towers at 11.30 pm, which is well past my curfew err .. bedtime!

Worralaff. There is also the possibility of doing some kondo-ing at pal's house in the future, she may need moral support. I did explain I only offer the immoral kind..........

Am easing into the day, have a couple of shopping errands in town and then will go to the lottie and spend a few hours up there sowing seeds and generally grubbling around in the good earth.

Hope everyone has a great day, GQ xx
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Shortie
    • By Shortie 20th Apr 17, 8:13 AM
    • 2,189 Posts
    • 11,758 Thanks
    Shortie
    Aaahhhh, I had visions of you on a mercy meat buying spree for a bit there glad the sausagemeat was saved

Immoral support, haha, I think they sounds far more fun than moral support

I am hoping to get to the lottie this weekend. I need to re-dig some ground (root spreading weeds there) to prep it for planting sweetcorn and butternut/pumpkins later (need to check when to be honest)

The lottie should help me Kondo some weight. Unfortunately, the baked YS goodies I have been making haven't helped in that department
    Apologies if there are random typos - I am usually replying via my phone
    • WeeMidgie
    • By WeeMidgie 20th Apr 17, 9:25 AM
    • 220 Posts
    • 4,309 Thanks
    WeeMidgie
    I'm going to help a friend KM her clothes today. And get them to charity ship / recycling... she has bought a fresh roll of black bags.

This is a major step forward for her - at present her bedroom is an obstacle course. She had a friend who kept giving her clothes, many of which didn't fit or didn't suit her, and never got rid of any of it out of guilt.... the friendship has now ended, and she feels able to purge the clothes!
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 20th Apr 17, 10:36 AM
    • 5,420 Posts
    • 43,512 Thanks
    Igamogam

Royal Mail survey stamps - if you're on the survey panel you get 'paid' 12 1st class and 4 large first class stamps every month (plus occasional other bits) - useful for fleebay parcels

Originally posted by greent
    Ooh I will look into that.....I still use PO for sending Eb*Y parcels - rural location with a PO in next village which is open unilt 11pm even on a Sunday! Very convenient

Having to change my email address...what a chore! However as I am going through my current email account and slowly updating everything I subscribe to/order from etc I am also ditching ie not updating my address, anything I no longer want to receive so 2 jobs in 1
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat'
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 20th Apr 17, 10:52 AM
    • 5,420 Posts
    • 43,512 Thanks
    Igamogam
    My oldest wip is at least 22 years old.
    Originally posted by fpcat
    My oldest WIP is 26 years old A 1ply 'wedding ring' shawl I started knitting when pregnant with DD1........... just didn't have the time to finish after she was born. Picked it up again for DD2 but didn't get very far!! MIL knitted beautiful shawls for both DDs which I still have of course!

I got rid of my previously older WIP when I first stared the KM journey. A cardigan I started knitting for myself whilst at university mid 1980's It was a lovely thing and a great colour and I stopped because I knew I was going to be half a ball short and couldn't get anymore. I unraveled it and wound all the wool up again and gave it away as a job lot of yarn on fr**gle about 2 years ago.
    Last edited by Igamogam; 20-04-2017 at 4:47 PM.
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat'
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 20th Apr 17, 12:32 PM
    • 4,526 Posts
    • 19,104 Thanks
    Slinky
    I've got a tapestry I started in 1994..... it survived a Kondo clear out, I'm pretty sure I'll never finish it, even if I did, I don't/won't have anywhere to hang it as we have more than enough wall stuff now. But I couldn't bring myself to chuck it out. Maybe, just maybe, I'll try picking it up sometime.

I did at least get rid a few years ago, of an unstarted tapestry of Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Opera House I brought back with me from Australia. I think I charity shopped it in the end, I wonder if somebody bought it.
    • Charly27
    • By Charly27 20th Apr 17, 1:34 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 2,500 Thanks
    Charly27
    Sorry, don't do mending apart from buttons or hems!

I love mending but I don't know how good I am at stitching things up! I'm having a huge giggle over the WIPs. Thanks fpcat and Igamogam, makes me feel better about mine! At some stage I will be tackling my fabric stash because if there's stuff I will never use it may as well go.

Kondoing work today. Have medium term plan and a week's worth of English to show for my efforts. Going to tackle maths next then take doggie for a walk. Have also done the washing. Half hanging on the line half in the tumble and updated my accounts on Quicken. Working to a timer today.

No allotment today but going to sow some seeds and beans later on after I've made the dinner.

Mercy mission to save sausagemeat

Also Kondoed another item of that underwired underwear. Straps this time. I'll be purchasing some more me thinks. It's a job I loathe
    Proud to be dealing with my debts! DF Nerd # 1475
    17 projects in 2017 in memory of Soulie 2/17
    Reading challenge 11 /40

Keep calm and Kondo
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 20th Apr 17, 1:41 PM
    • 3,164 Posts
    • 50,402 Thanks
    silvasava
    Not a WIP but during the greenhouse clearout a heated propagator and a vented propagator - neither of which have ever been used & I must have had them for at least 15 years Put on Freegle today along with some small terracotta pots.
    Scrap metal has been collected today and I took the broken plastic rubbish to the tip - was please to find they had a bin for 'Hard Plastic' with a picture of broken patio furniture so I sorted some of my broken bins & put them in there.
    Had a phone call this morning to say the new patio furniture will arrive tomorrow. I know its an 'in' but only 4 pieces and I got rid of 9 so I don't feel guilty!
    So much has gone over the last couple of weeks & I'm really beginning to feel the 'lightness' of less 'stuff'
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • hebwood
    • By hebwood 20th Apr 17, 4:25 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 1,936 Thanks
    hebwood
    I have several WIP's - cross stitch pics that I intend to finish - really!!!! And bring joy. At the moment am enjoying 'abstract items', and small cross stitch that are more urgent. (Needed for birthdays/wedding).

Several WIP have gone to the local hospice craft shop over the past year - felt very good about letting them go - before KM would not of thought of it.

Tip run yesterday which would have been a bit more radical if OH had NOT been with me! - garden stuff/ old birdfeeders/empty and half full (very old, solid, aquatic)compost sacks/broken unit/old kettle.

A CS bag went last week, and new one half full with forgotten items!

Nibbling away seems the way for me at present. Very much enjoy reading about the progress everyone makes on here.

Take care.
    H
    • kittie
    • By kittie 20th Apr 17, 4:56 PM
    • 11,048 Posts
    • 60,923 Thanks
    kittie
    I did think I was going to waste today but all in all, it has been a good satisfying day instead. I spent another bit of time going through all my jewellery, costume and better and any that I will wear is now in an accessible place. There are several nice rings that no longer fit me but I have dds and gds so they will be re- homed, over time.

The sun came out and I sat in my recliner by the window, in the sun, knitting at my elbow, on a trolley. Anything but knitting and the radio was bugging me, all about politics again, so now the bulb troughs are all cleared, smaller troughs stacked and the large ones are now refilled with poor compost plus a bit of JI 2 and grit and sand, ready for dwarf lavenders, which I ordered today. It may or may not be a temporary place for them while I closely observe my very long narrow raised bed, on high ie the top tier edge. It is always baking up there and I think will be the perfect eventual home for these easy care lavenders. I will grow them on this year and then upturn them up there next year, space them out (13) and job done. Another area made easy. Similar with two round pots
    http://shop.erringtonreay.co.uk/salt-glazed-pottery
    which will each hold one lavender. I have lots of these pots, collected over many years, quite a few are very big and trees have been happy in them for at least 13 years
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 20th Apr 17, 5:19 PM
    • 765 Posts
    • 19,735 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    You have all made me feel so much better about my UFOs/WIPs, thank you!
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • WeeMidgie
    • By WeeMidgie 20th Apr 17, 6:14 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 4,309 Thanks
    WeeMidgie
    The final haul from my friend's bedroom: 7 black bags (4 for recycling, 3 to the charity shop). Her hanging space has been transformed and she has kept only what fits, is in good condition, that she likes/loves and which sparks joy.

We finished at 4.00 and had a cuppa. We kept going back into the bedroom to gaze on the loveliness and kept saying "What a difference"!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

227Posts Today

1,251Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin