Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greent
    • By greent 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    • 5,958Posts
    • 60,227Thanks
    greent
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 30th Dec 15 at 12:31 PM
    Link to 2015: thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5146700

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £3490/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £753.38/£500 PAYDOX17 £10335/£10k Decluttered 1200/2017 items
Page 416
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 18th Apr 17, 5:40 PM
    • 694 Posts
    • 18,801 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    So a few weeks ago I had visitors, and while it's now much quicker to get the spare room ready, once again I had to remove various bags of komono from the spare bed. I swore last time that I'd never find myself doing it again, so this time I dumped it all on the floor in my bedroom on the basis that it would annoy me so much, I'd have to sort it out.

Fast forward several weeks - it is seriously annoying me but I haven't tackled it yet. This morning I put them all on the bed, and the clear floor looks great - I want my bedroom back!

Most of the stuff is craft UFOs, a bit of a weakness of mine. I find them so hard to deal with because I've invested time in them (and sometimes money, too). I'm promising myself that I won't start any new projects till I've sorted these. I think I'll list them all in my bullet journal and maybe that will help me to be realistic. How do others deal with UFOs, or are you all so good that you don't have any?
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 18th Apr 17, 8:14 PM
    • 11,992 Posts
    • 213,809 Thanks
    greenbee
    Do you actually want to finish them PWD? Or is it the idea, and getting started that you enjoy?
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 18th Apr 17, 8:28 PM
    • 757 Posts
    • 18,327 Thanks
    MMF007
    Ahhh, UFO! I suddenly have a few - since starting art classes!! I don't like having a half finished picture but not enough time in class and although i have admitted defeat on 2 of them, I still have 3 pieces i would like to finish.
    This week we drew a portrait (amazingly mine actually looked like a person) and next week we are due to paint a version of this. I am not struck on the picture we are referring to, nor on the technique planned for next week. I have decided that i will miss next week's class but will actually get one of my WIPs out and work on that. I will have 3 hours 'free' and no travelling, and i think i will benefit from the quiet concentration kn a subject that DOES appeal
    I do enjoy painting, but i am not a natural! I want to improve though, so I am willing to practice

Other than that i just have 2 unfinished items of needlework and now you have mentioned it, i should get these out, too. They would make nice projects for the evenings when we have a week away in june.

Vicarious kondo-ing only today. An elderly friend ear-marked a couple of large items to release but had no means to get rid. I offered to take them for possible redistribution, with her agreement, or CS if no takers.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 18th Apr 17, 8:36 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 38,829 Thanks
    maryb
    I now understand the difference between Freecycle and Freegle, many thanks. I know GQ mentioned Freegle a lot but wasn't sure if it was just something specific to her neck of the woods.

Will do some research
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • Floss
    • By Floss 18th Apr 17, 8:49 PM
    • 3,664 Posts
    • 28,312 Thanks
    Floss
    MMF007 do you prefer still life or landscape to portrait then? I think I could do landscape, but definitely not portrait, I have tons of admiration for you!
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 18th Apr 17, 9:19 PM
    • 757 Posts
    • 18,327 Thanks
    MMF007
    Well Floss, still life has yet to be tried, but I did a painting of water lillies in a lovely pale blue pond that may best be described as abstract realism! I also enjoyed painting rows of tulips with a lovely forest behind. I know it is the colours that appeal to me and hence acrylics are 'my thing'.
    Shame my natural talent is, er, well hidden! Perhaps I will find a style that brings out the best in me

ETA - the secret to drawing a person or a face is to turn the picture upside down and draw it that way. When you turn your drawing the right way up it's amazing! Doesn't work as well for self-portraits though
    Last edited by MMF007; 18-04-2017 at 10:24 PM.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 19th Apr 17, 12:05 AM
    • 694 Posts
    • 18,801 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Greenbee, that's a good question- I recognise that I'm always really excited about starting a new project and not always as good at seeing it through. I'm having to stop myself from buying new materials at the moment till I've finished some current stuff.

I have completed quite a few things recently, and on my first round of MK I bravely ditched a half-completed wall hanging that I'd started on a one-day class, because I knew I would never want to hang it anywhere. (I only did the class to keep my sister company) That took some strength of will on my part!
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 19th Apr 17, 7:16 AM
    • 11,075 Posts
    • 213,257 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I now understand the difference between Freecycle and Freegle, many thanks. I know GQ mentioned Freegle a lot but wasn't sure if it was just something specific to her neck of the woods.

Will do some research
    Originally posted by maryb
    We have freegle here but not freecycle. I don't know if we ever had a freecycle group, for all the several years I've been using it, it's been freegle. My understanding is that, back in the day, UK freecycle vols had a spat with US Freecycle rule makers and decided to go off and do their own thing.

Back in the homestead and have brought a few things for my fave chazzer which will prolly leave today (I'm on leave this week and next) and will do a few other things including - waitforit- spending this morning at the very-reasonably-priced-antiquish emporium.

I dropped in on the pal on my way down from the bus station and got a bit of an SOS regarding paperwork build-up - he's a clever chap but curiously helpless when faced with things in envelopes. I shall go kondo the in-tray and perhaps venture into some other nooks and crannies, whatever I can do in a couple of hours.

Then off to the lottie to plant some seeds, definately leeks and beetroot, possibly also parsnips depending on the wind-speed (veggie gardeners will understand that last bit, lol).

Oh, and when Dad gave me a lift to the bus station in the hometown, he also took a large bag of donations to his gift-aid registered chazzer, so the stuff is thinning out ever-so-slightly. And there is rumours of a dump-run going to happen at their end in the near future (shed stuff).
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• silvasava
    • By silvasava 19th Apr 17, 8:39 AM
    • 3,044 Posts
    • 48,438 Thanks
    silvasava
    Off to the Hospice shop this morning with the 8 bags of clothing left from our sale. I've only got a small 2 seater car so some is on the passenger seat - looks like I'm a mass murderer with all these black bin bags!
    Laughing at all the items that DH's and Oh cling on to. Mine finally decided his abseiling gear could go last year (he's nearly 74!) I think it's holding on to lost youth - the rope made really good mooring ropes for my boat lol! The diving gear and the archery equipment went some years ago - now he's got the trike to play with .......sigh
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 19th Apr 17, 9:55 AM
    • 757 Posts
    • 18,327 Thanks
    MMF007
    feeling loads better! Have kondo-packed and will be off shortly for our 5 day break with friends in hereford/worcester area.

DH just got a call from other party's insurer to say they'll pay for repair and provide a vehicle while it is being done. DH told them he can do it if they pay for part, no need for van to be off the road. Everyone happy!
    • kittie
    • By kittie 19th Apr 17, 10:28 AM
    • 10,769 Posts
    • 57,889 Thanks
    kittie
    I just put 2 cans of water on essental plants in pots, all tree types, crab apple, acer, lilacs. so very much easier since kondo, when it would have been six cans all over. Some raised rectangular beds are now semperviviums, pinks and dwarf lilacs and can be neglected but still look lovely

Did a small kondo from fridge and freezer this morning, I have 7 empty bags, very happy

Parcelforce didn`t come and as usual, tracking said attempted delivery and card left, lies, rang up and they said it would come today, so another day of waiting in. I am so ready to get those small drawers done. Consoled myself with getting washed bedding out

UFOs, oh yes that is me, I have three carvings to finish but good in a way as it is easy to pack my trolley for carving group, no dithering about what to take. Also knitting and only the last sleeve and it is in plain sight but I am not feeling the urge, like I did in winter

Allotment is fully done and baby plants are getting big at the house. At that moment in time, of suspended animation, waiting
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 19th Apr 17, 2:13 PM
    • 2,966 Posts
    • 27,630 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    I also have the Startitis disease , so this year I am determined to Kondo (finish) some UFO/WIPs - got one sweater done and now working on a needlepoint!
    OS Weight Loss 4.5/10
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 19th Apr 17, 3:25 PM
    • 11,992 Posts
    • 213,809 Thanks
    greenbee
    I'm good at having ideas and starting things off. Not so good at finishing. You need to work to your strengths. No point forcing yourself to finish stuff if you're no longer interested in it. What are you going to do with the finished projects?
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 19th Apr 17, 3:56 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 2,705 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Most of the stuff is craft UFOs, a bit of a weakness of mine. I find them so hard to deal with because I've invested time in them (and sometimes money, too). I'm promising myself that I won't start any new projects till I've sorted these. I think I'll list them all in my bullet journal and maybe that will help me to be realistic. How do others deal with UFOs, or are you all so good that you don't have any?
    Originally posted by PollyWollyDoodle
    Oh yes, I have them alright. My nemesis is knitting - or rather the "sewing up of knitting". I've currently got several sweaters/cardis (not sure how many) waiting in the wings to be sewn up and have another 3 in progress on the needles. I'd love to find a sewing-up fairy to do the sewing for me.

At least the yarn is in order now, packed into clear lidded storage boxes and I have a (long) list of types/amounts/colours so I know what I've got. I promised myself I wouldn't buy any more until I've used up the stash and so far this year I haven't. But I do catch myself looking longingly at new yarns - it's so, so hard to walk away without indulging.

The other one is fabric. I used to do a lot of sewing, both machine and hand, but now it's confined to running repairs of clothing and sometimes curtains, cushion covers and the like. So there's a lot of fabric to Kondo chez moi.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Aug GC: £200 - £0.00 = £200 NSDs 0/35
    July GC +£7.98 June GC -£3.13 May GC +£10.37

• Charly27
    • By Charly27 19th Apr 17, 3:58 PM
    • 197 Posts
    • 2,295 Thanks
    Charly27
    So like that quote BumbleBeany so I have just copied it. I'm like a magpie for quotes and I made myself google how to copy a big chunk of text on the iPad so I've learnt something new.
    I can relate to the UFO's. Sometimes I can be brave and let them go. I finished a 'rug' from the CS once. Mind it must have been a rug meant to be framed and go on the wall or to be used in a playhouse neither of which I could see the point! I enjoyed making it but didn't like the subject so I let it go. Oh and I took a photograph of it but I'm even less inclined to do that now as it adds to my digital clutter. I guess PWD you could just ask THE BIG KM question and then sing let it go if it doesn't.
    I was supposed to have my return to work interview today but it's been postponed until Friday. Quite hard for a teacher, especially this one who has to Kondo working at weekends. I will tackle it tomorrow after I've given it some thought and myself a good talking to. I've actually only not planned for my class for about 7 days even though I've been away two full weeks and two part weeks. I can still do this.
    Today I went up to the Lottie and Kondoed even more weeds. The onions, garlic and shallots can breathe and grow! I chucked in some poached egg seeds and a couple of clumps of calendula and a row of Tagetes. Some of the seeds are dated 2011 but I've lost nothing if they don't germinate have I? I took my potting she'd radio to small electricals (bit sad as that's the radio I bought when I left my husband and home in 2003 but it's had a good life and couldn't be mended)😢
    I also recycled about 2 dozen plastic coat hangers from DD's wardrobe, a black plastic box that blew onto my allotment years ago and I've never used plus another sack of timber
    Proud to be dealing with my debts! DF Nerd # 1475
    17 projects in 2017 in memory of Soulie 2/17
    Reading challenge 11 /40

Keep calm and Kondo
    • kittie
    • By kittie 19th Apr 17, 4:26 PM
    • 10,769 Posts
    • 57,889 Thanks
    kittie
    muji arrived and I`ve finished the make up drawer, everything is now easily handy. I especially like the mirror lid, which fits on a box in the drawer and it has a stand on the other side. I pretty well did the other drawers but needed to step away as I was getting bogged down. I over-ordered slightly ie one small container and a few lids for the whole size boxes but I was thinking ahead. The lids will meantime store under the boxes and can be used in future changes. I love muji stuff, it is so simple and well made and will outlast me. A few things kondo`ed but its pretty well in order now. Loads of paper packaging, will be shredded over the next few days and taken to the allotment as is good for adding to my compost

Cycling beckoned so I did just 4 miles but there were a couple of hills and the rest was easy and pleasurable. I do like being in with nature and saw something like a small stoat run across the road. No cars or people passed
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 19th Apr 17, 5:44 PM
    • 11,075 Posts
    • 213,257 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Evening all.

Sitting here with my jacket on, having just come in from the allotment (sunny but perishing) and am waiting on a pal pulling up in her car outside any second - we're about to go on mercy mission for vast quantities of sausagemeat in a village several miles away. And her a vegetablarian, too.

Sometimes I find myself wondering what it'd be like to have a normal life - boring, probably.

Oh, and there was also a mention of clearing some shelves, dangling options like that in front of a kondo-ite is like putting truffles in front of a piggie.

Have taken a bagful of stuff to one of my fave chazzers and asked about a category of item I wasn't sure they'd take and it turns out that these things sell like hotcakes and they'd be only too delighted to have them.

Have also sorted a fair bit of Stuff at the pal's shop inc Georgian silver and utility bills. Comments during the morning varied from Don't tread on Charles II's sword! and How much?!

C2 is a statuette, btw, not the real deal.

ONWARDS!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Floss
    • By Floss 19th Apr 17, 6:17 PM
    • 3,664 Posts
    • 28,312 Thanks
    Floss
    Oh yes, I have them alright. My nemesis is knitting - or rather the "sewing up of knitting". I've currently got several sweaters/cardis (not sure how many) waiting in the wings to be sewn up and have another 3 in progress on the needles. I'd love to find a sewing-up fairy to do the sewing for me.
    Originally posted by YorksLass
    YorksLass I actually quite like the sewing-up, It's the actual knitting that gets me down! If you are ever over my way on the Lancashire coast, bring your bits of knitting with you!
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 19th Apr 17, 6:32 PM
    • 4,647 Posts
    • 48,602 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Ready cut rugs were a kit of printed canvas and short bits of wool and a hook to loop the wool through the canvas.http://www.readicut.co.uk/rugs/latch-hook-rug-kits.html
    Originally posted by grunnie
    Goodness, those are dreadful! Obviously they don't do "proper" rugs anymore. I made one in 1972, with a white background and flowers/foliage in several colours so I wouldn't get bored It was expensive (pure wool in those days), I remember I paid in instalments, but I had that rug by my bed for a very long time. I even put it through a very gentle machine wash a few times! On a sunny day, so it could dry over the washing line.

One of my friends still has one she made in plain dark green - I couldn't have done that, too boring.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 19th Apr 17, 6:55 PM
    • 3,392 Posts
    • 38,867 Thanks
    camelot1001
    I remember my DM making a rug and trying to get my brother and I involved - she had a wooden thingy for winding the wool round to cut it into the right length pieces. I probably did a row of actual rugging and my brother nothing at all. All I can remember is that it was brown with some multi coloured bits and never used!

I'm with you Yorklass but I have just made myself sew up some baby booties and hats as I'm fed up with them nagging me from the sidelines.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

119Posts Today

2,204Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin