Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greent
    • By greent 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    • 5,871Posts
    • 59,357Thanks
    greent
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 30th Dec 15 at 12:31 PM
    Link to 2015: thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5146700

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £3000/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £657.00/£500 PAYDOX17 £9887/£10k Decluttered 865/2017 items
Page 415
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 17th Apr 17, 8:04 PM
    • 2,977 Posts
    • 47,473 Thanks
    silvasava
    Bumblebeany - lovely quote and so true.
    At the club today - they have an annual jumble sale of sailing gear to raise funds to take youngsters with disabilities sailing.
    I'm on the Social Committee and we decided to provide bacon rolls and tea or coffee (£1.50) and we also had a nearly new clothing sale. I took the opportunity to have another cull! We raised just over £200 plus whatever the sailing gear raised. All the unsold items are being taken to our local Hospice shop - win win all round!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 17th Apr 17, 11:22 PM
    • 5,386 Posts
    • 43,026 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Ready cut rugs were a kit of printed canvas and short bits of wool and a hook to loop the wool through the canvas.http://www.readicut.co.uk/rugs/latch-hook-rug-kits.html
    Originally posted by grunnie
    Aha I have a vague recollection of a friend getting some sort of rug kit as a birthday/Christmas present once and in my nans old sewing box, which I have, I think there is one of those hook thingys and something in a box which has never been used called a 'rug wool cutter'...........

Just done a job lot of books DVDs and CDs to Ziff!t - it will be a tenner or so winging its way to the bank account - all helps

Clothes now put back in hanging space under the eaves in bedroom - discarded some on the way which I will never wear again. Couple of nice things will go on Eb8Y the rest to CS. OHs socks will go to homeless charity in the town.

Small chair from attic, some recipe mags and some storage boxes now surplus to requirements all on fr**cycle and will be collected tomorrow. OH not keen to empty attic in one go as he refuses to put it all in conservatory for sorting out as he says it wont move from there for months ...........he hasnt noticed the way I operate now. Also I think it has a little to do with the fact he has stored some stuff in the attic which really needs to go because its obsolete/never going to be used again but cant admit to that. Going to have to think hard about how to tackle this one!
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat'
    • Floss
    • By Floss 18th Apr 17, 7:50 AM
    • 3,599 Posts
    • 27,549 Thanks
    Floss
    Igamogam my DH is like that - our attic is converted to a room (1930's house) and the eaves are full of his "treasures" such as diving mask, snorkel & flippers that he has not used since pre-2000, skis that are obsolete, and a family of suitcases which aren't fit to use but are too good to throw out...
    • greent
    • By greent 18th Apr 17, 7:53 AM
    • 5,871 Posts
    • 59,357 Thanks
    greent
    Some more recipe books listed on fleebay last night and a sale made before I went to bed - just under £10 after fees for a book I paid less than £5 new for

Today will see me post 2 fleebay parcels (have needed PO for these) - will use RM survey stamps to keep actual cash cost down. Also need to drop off a box for Ziffit (again, just under £10, assuming all are accepted) a bag of unwanted food items to the foodbank collection point in Tesc0 (I need to buy milk anyway) and a large carrier of unwanted toys and random items from the garage sort-out. Coming in will be the aforementioned milk and a birthday cake from Pati55erie Valer1e for DS1 (grooopon offer) Definitely waaay more outs than ins this past week - yeay!
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 18th Apr 17, 8:17 AM
    • 5,386 Posts
    • 43,026 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Igamogam my DH is like that - our attic is converted to a room (1930's house) and the eaves are full of his "treasures" such as diving mask, snorkel & flippers that he has not used since pre-2000, skis that are obsolete, and a family of suitcases which aren't fit to use but are too good to throw out...
    Originally posted by Floss
    We also have the skis - 3 sets with bags poles boots etc. The climbing gear - tonnes of it and enough rucksacks to keep a coach load of backpackers happy each and every item has a story to tell I think..........and thats the problem Current extreme sport gear clutters up the office..........*sigh*

Sunny fine day today so I am moving to outdoors and play a bit of 'shed tetris' - things have been dumped in there - boxed and organised but,nevertheless, dumped. It will be straightforward job I believe and I am hoping to jettison 'stuff' with very little to landfill I hope

First little cat going to Vee E Tee for annual booster..........job on now to find it. It has seen pet carrier coming out of shed and has scarpered
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    • Floss
    • By Floss 18th Apr 17, 8:18 AM
    • 3,599 Posts
    • 27,549 Thanks
    Floss
    I am planning to have a good sort-out today, have to put my winter woolies away so will take the opportunity to go through all my clothes as DH is away, so won't see the extent of my wardrobe

I also want to make a start on some crafting for sale, so that those stashes begin to reduce. I have a lot of items for conversion that will form the initial stock for a FB and Etsy shop that I have been planning for some time
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 18th Apr 17, 8:19 AM
    • 5,386 Posts
    • 43,026 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Some more recipe books listed on fleebay last night and a sale made before I went to bed - just under £10 after fees for a book I paid less than £5 new for

Love it when that happens!

Today will see me post 2 fleebay parcels (have needed PO for these) - will use RM survey stamps to keep actual cash cost down.
    Originally posted by greent
    What are RM survey stamps??
    • maryb
    • By maryb 18th Apr 17, 8:57 AM
    • 3,271 Posts
    • 38,627 Thanks
    maryb
    had a bit of Kondo mojo recently, helped by the fact that I had a few items sell for a bit of cash on the Bay. But in going through the cellars, which extend under the whole house (I can never move - I defy even the great Marie herself to emerge from there in under two years) I came across some things which I suspect a charity shop wouldn't want but someone would like

A few years ago I used Freecycle but I've seen a lot of people refer to Freegle. Please can anyone tell me whether one is better than the other/less hassle etc
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • kittie
    • By kittie 18th Apr 17, 9:02 AM
    • 10,672 Posts
    • 57,223 Thanks
    kittie
    attics!! we always had attics and kept putting stuff up there, for the children when they frew up. Haha, we ended getting rid of it all eventually, it happened in one house after the other. No attic in my house now, no hidden areas and I have to be glad

I may well be able to kondo today, the small drawers at last. The extra small boxes are out for delivery but its parcelforce and if I am last on the round then it will likely go back to the depot if he over runs. Fingers crossed, I want to do something positive today

The allotment is good, did a couple of hours up there yesterday, so nothing much to do, except some knitting or reading and waiting for my parcel. I have upturned a water feature to dry out and need to put silicone on a corner as it is leaking. I have already got one targeted for the tip as the leak on that is too big to mend. I am not sure about the mend yet, it might be throwing good money after bad re fixing it. I am done with slate or resin features. The best one I have is a glass bowl on a metal stand but even the flimsy stand is showing signs of rust. I`ll be coating that in hammerite soon, should give it a new lease of life. These features are a terrible price for what they are. I am saving the workings, in case I ever find something that is useable
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 18th Apr 17, 9:32 AM
    • 4,225 Posts
    • 17,270 Thanks
    Slinky
    OH is up in his office doing some sort of battle. He's just come down with some papers he's shredded (not many mind) and claims to have found the desk. He's returned up there with the hand held vac which I can hear being used. He's not used the office in 14 months while he's been working away from home, stuff has been dumped in there. I went in not long after he started his last project and binned about 100 unopened trade magazines, but ground to a halt after that as it's not my stuff to make decisions on.

At some point we need to pull everything out of there and redecorate. It's not been done since 1990-something and some of the plaster has blown, so a fairly major job needs doing.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 18th Apr 17, 9:54 AM
    • 11,970 Posts
    • 213,490 Thanks
    greenbee
    A few years ago I used Freecycle but I've seen a lot of people refer to Freegle. Please can anyone tell me whether one is better than the other/less hassle etc
    Originally posted by maryb
    Freecycle is US-owned and makes money getting govt. credits for diverting materials from landfill. A few years ago many of the (unpaid) UK moderators got fed up with the demands being made of them and set up Freegle (plus a few other local versions) as a UK managed voluntary organisation. You need to find out what is operating in your area - I usually sign up to all of them and then use whichever has most traffic.

You may also find that there are local FB pages for sharing/swapping/giving away as well as selling.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 18th Apr 17, 10:20 AM
    • 27,393 Posts
    • 148,364 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I also want to make a start on some crafting for sale, so that those stashes begin to reduce. I have a lot of items for conversion that will form the initial stock for a FB and Etsy shop that I have been planning for some time
    That sounds great! I can't do it now cos of arthritis in my fingers, but I'd have loved to have been an early adopter on etsy. Have fun, Floss.

Save
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.Save
    • Floss
    • By Floss 18th Apr 17, 10:53 AM
    • 3,599 Posts
    • 27,549 Thanks
    Floss
    Well I have km'd my dresses & summer clothes, some to keep,some to sell and some to donate. Am going to go through the rest through the day. Have realised that flouncy maxi dresses don't really enhance a pear-shaped 50 something
    • kittie
    • By kittie 18th Apr 17, 11:24 AM
    • 10,672 Posts
    • 57,223 Thanks
    kittie
    Have realised that flouncy maxi dresses don't really enhance a pear-shaped 50 something
    floss, you are 18 in your head, you know you are

They are exactly the sort of skirts that I gave to the cs, I had a reality check sad to see them go tbh but thats life

I have done a bit, fridge and freezer. Needing to use blackcurrants at a quicker rate and have ground almonds and butter sitting there. Melted butter and gently mixed into the almonds to crumbs. Berries into small enamel dishes added xylitol to take the sharpness out, topped with crumbs. Will bake later and refreeze but will be nice to eat as puds over the next few weeks and I now have more fridge space. I should think that this sort of almond crumble would be nice over cooked cauliflower

Washing on as its a lovely bright and breezy day and have decided not to scrap the water features. I found some waterproofing grey paste to put on, it has good reviews, I can certainly do inside the slate feature. It looks as though the mesh inside has come apart, which the paste will cure. Had to spend £10 but will try and do both features, even the taller one with spouts. I love fixing things

Interesting about freegle, I also thought it was freecycle. OH`s they do try but its generally women who get into a job quickly, as well as doing other work at the same time. I used to give mine an idea, then I would say nothing about it but later, maybe weeks later, he would give the same idea and I would chuckle to myself, it always worked
    • Floss
    • By Floss 18th Apr 17, 11:35 AM
    • 3,599 Posts
    • 27,549 Thanks
    Floss
    floss, you are 18 in your head, you know you are...

...OH`s they do try but its generally women who get into a job quickly, as well as doing other work at the same time. I used to give mine an idea, then I would say nothing about it but later, maybe weeks later, he would give the same idea and I would chuckle to myself, it always worked
    Originally posted by kittie
    Thanks Kittie!

My DH has a virtual list in his head, but does say "when a man says he will do something, he doesn't need reminding every 6 months!"
    • WeeMidgie
    • By WeeMidgie 18th Apr 17, 12:11 PM
    • 199 Posts
    • 3,956 Thanks
    WeeMidgie
    Went through my winter clothes, which have been done twice before, but not this year. To CS: one padded coat with a collar that doesn't keep the wind out, and one worn out Laura Ashley cardigan is going for recycling, too done for the CS, had it for years so have had all the value out of it.

Everything else still sparks joy, although one jacket in a tapestry fabric in lovely colours which I bought second hand many years ago, will be reincarnated as a bag. It holds many happy memories and the bag will definitely spark joy.
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 18th Apr 17, 1:27 PM
    • 6,634 Posts
    • 40,621 Thanks
    Pooky
    Good luck with the Etsy empire Floss, I like it as a selling platform and my shop ticks over nicely, just wish their accounts were easier to make heads or tails of!

I've kondod the bathroom sink, a hideous 80's mirror and all the tiles behind that and the loo....just having a food break before tackling the tile glue and then a big clear up before heading for the dump. I'll take the bath out tomorrow and the rest of the tiles and floor and then it will all be clear to start pipe work on Thursday. Need to dig in the loft to find the junction boxes for the electrics, there's thick insulation down now so will dig out a long sleeved top, gloves and a mask before I go delving around.

A slightly undone joint under the kitchen sink promoted a big kondo last night as there were a few soggy things to go. Luckily I've always followed my Mums advice and kept stuff in shallow plastic boxes/trays which means if there is a leak, it's contained in the plastic and not sitting on the shelf and rotting anything.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • greent
    • By greent 18th Apr 17, 2:15 PM
    • 5,871 Posts
    • 59,357 Thanks
    greent
    Haha! In our garage sort out over the weekend my OH unearthed his snorkel and flippers - not used in around 15 years - and decided that he couldn't part with them (even though he'd forgotten we still had them) He also dug out his rugby kit 'to go' - but then decided that everything in it would stay (except some old grubby plasters and nasal breathe strips and 1 muddy bandage) - as he 'might play again for the vets one day' (he's not played anything at all in at least 15 years....)

What are RM survey stamps??
    Originally posted by Igamogam
    Royal Mail survey stamps - if you're on the survey panel you get 'paid' 12 1st class and 4 large first class stamps every month (plus occasional other bits) - useful for fleebay parcels (although I mainly use couriers now, as they tend to be cheaper and tracking is good)

A slightly undone joint under the kitchen sink promoted a big kondo last night as there were a few soggy things to go. Luckily I've always followed my Mums advice and kept stuff in shallow plastic boxes/trays which means if there is a leak, it's contained in the plastic and not sitting on the shelf and rotting anything.
    Originally posted by Pooky
    Our current kitchen cupboard is a victim to this - when we have our new kitchen I will a - have less under there and b - store what *is* under there in a plastic tray...

All my little jobs were achieved this morning, so lots of little bits went out to here and there. Just spent half an hour in DS2's room with him and we have released several pairs of socks (too small and/ or worn thin), a non-joy-sparking tshirt (will go to DS3) a large empty box (recycled), a loom band kit (donated), an unused 3d jigsaw dinosaur (priced for nns), some random bits of kibble for the bin and several small toys and a pack of crayons put aside for shoebox appeal. Still heaps to do, but at least you can now walk across his floor without stepping on leg0. There's also 3 items of clothing hung outside his wardrobe for trying on tonight/ in the morning and then 3 pairs of boxers to try on (only 1 needs to be tried on - they're a set) all to see if they still fit.

2nd lot of washing out on line - first one now waiting to be ironed. Trying to muster up enthusiasm to do anything, really - fancy a nap after a poor night's sleep! My mum is meant to be taking the smalls out for a walk soon, so I might see if I can grab 20 mins then
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 18th Apr 17, 4:32 PM
    • 2,977 Posts
    • 47,473 Thanks
    silvasava
    Working in the garden again today - greenhouse equipment all back in and stored properly. Big bag of bits to go on Freecycle - terracotta plant pots & trays, a heated propagator,pea & bean mesh, plant supports & some seed trays - a bag of old metal baskets & brackets etc to go to the guy who raises money with it for a kids club and a bag of rubbish that will go to the tip for recycling.
    I've managed to move a shelf rack to a position thats less obtrusive and stored all my canes & supports in an old dustbin (with holes in the bottom!) so they are neat & tidy & upright and dont keep falling all over the place.
    Cup of tea time I think as DH has had his trike part delivered and I've just heard him fire up! One happy bunny - probably wont see him now as he'll be out riding Oh & lady coming today for the last bag of woodash for her chickens and lady coming tomorrow for my hats for the hospice
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • oceanspirit
    • By oceanspirit 18th Apr 17, 5:09 PM
    • 454 Posts
    • 7,687 Thanks
    oceanspirit
    Carried on working through the jobs list over the weekend and today have been clearing out more emails. Really catching up with those now which is great.

Friend visited last week and said my office still looks the same as always which is disappointing bearing in mind how much stuff has gone. Oh well, will keep plugging away at it. I do know that the reading pile is much more up to date than this time last year so progress has been made there at least.

Other areas of my life such as healthy eating are also much improved - have been keeping a daily record since January of how well I'm doing on that and it is way better than it was at the end of last year. Still have a little middle-aged spread to lose and need to get back into my normal sized trousers in 5 weeks' time. Should be doable as there's not a lot to go - am not looking for actual weight loss as am well within normal range, just a little re-distribution .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,454Posts Today

8,345Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Emloy93: @MartinSLewis I did this! It 100% works ????????

• RT @Photo_Pete: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, I'll renew mine before my 24th in September!

• Tell any 23 yr olds... you're allowed to buy a 3 year 16-25 railcard the day before your 24th birthday then it's valid until ur almost 27 RT

• Follow Martin