Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greent
    • By greent 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    • 5,712Posts
    • 57,797Thanks
    greent
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 30th Dec 15 at 12:31 PM
    Link to 2015: thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5146700

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Repaid mtge early (orig end 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next up: BTL Mtge Op Bal £69786. Cur Bal £67286 - 2017 target (18) £1000/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £435.84/£500 PAYDOX17 £8983/£10k Apr GC £265.66/£500 NSD 14 Decluttered 696/2017 items
Page 386
    • kittie
    • By kittie 17th Mar 17, 9:10 AM
    • 10,497 Posts
    • 55,232 Thanks
    kittie
    I do think it is important to pop on here from time to time esp for beginner kondo`ers and strugglers. I am probably like many and have now emerged over the winter, straight into spring jobs and there is much to do in that category. The primeval urge to prep for the growing season and summer

I am finding that there is much less to do kondowise and what I have left is minor and enjoyable eg I just threw three sewing magazines out, nothing in them for me, if there were then I would cutout and file. I am in process of sorting many sewing machine feet, they are being catalogued and notes will be made. That is pretty well it re sorting today. Going with the flow
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 17th Mar 17, 12:38 PM
    • 807 Posts
    • 13,662 Thanks
    Siebrie
    As an example of how much kondoing has done for our family: we can go to 1kea, have dinner, let dds play in the play area, and walk out again with absolutely NOTHING BOUGHT from the warehouse.
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 6053,82= £ 5129.77
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 17th Mar 17, 1:13 PM
    • 637 Posts
    • 18,060 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    What - not even some tea lights? I'm still working through my stock!

I think that's probably the biggest difference MK has made for me, very little new stuff comes into the house and what does come in is either essential or really sparks joy. I bought two tops from a CS this week but in both cases I asked myself 'would you buy this if it was new and full price?' and the answer was 'yes'. I'm not buying anything because it's cheap and 'it will do' any more.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • juliebunny
    • By juliebunny 17th Mar 17, 7:21 PM
    • 1,591 Posts
    • 7,947 Thanks
    juliebunny
    Returner
    So I'm a returning Kondoite.
    I started my journey a few years ago. Tidying up quickly when you work long hours and used to have a bad habit of being sucked into so called bargains seems to be taking a lot longer than 6 months.
    Was just wondering how long others were taking? I'm feeling a bit despondent
    Less stuff, more life, love, laughter and cats!
    Even if I'm on the shopping threads, it doesn't mean I'm buying! Sometimes it's good to just look and then hit the CLOSE button!
    • kittie
    • By kittie 17th Mar 17, 7:53 PM
    • 10,497 Posts
    • 55,232 Thanks
    kittie
    julie I wouldn`t bring time into it, just do what you can, in nibbles. Obviously some areas can be done in a short time and remain good for a very long time, so they are the areas to make you feel positive and you will find that the positive feeling grows and enables you to get onto a roll, which is when kondo becomes magic
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 17th Mar 17, 8:05 PM
    • 10,825 Posts
    • 208,443 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I started my journey a few years ago. Tidying up quickly when you work long hours and used to have a bad habit of being sucked into so called bargains seems to be taking a lot longer than 6 months.
    Originally posted by juliebunny
    Please don't feel despondent, we're all different people with different lifestyles, singletons, couples, solo parents, partnered parents, non-parents, sharing with others, or living alone.

Some folks have houses and garages and sheds, some have small flats, some are young(ish) and some have racked up a fair few decades and have absorbed the lifetime accumulations of older relations, too.

There's no one size-fits-all, nor one perfect time-frame, so hopefully no one should feel that they're not coping with kondo-ing or keeping up with a schedule. Please be kind to yourself.

Dropped in on the pal's shop after work today and took him a new calendar (YS for 8p!) and slung the 2016 ones (there were two, long story) into the recycling bin. I may pop over there tomorrow as I have a minor kondo-plan to enact, it's less than 5 mins' walk away so no hardship to visit.

Talked to the folks tonight. Mum told me she was tired of struggling with a couple of pairs of socks which kept creeping under the soles of her feet and remembered that she has a whole plastic crate of socks. She remembered them because I rounded up all the spares when I kondo'd their Bedroom Cupboard of Doom in 2016 and stuck a big label on it.

She also needed an envelope to send a charity cheque off, and found that in another crate in the same cupboard, clearly labelled Stationery. And she mentioned needing a card from the card cache for her SIL's birthday in the next couple of weeks, and I was able to prompt her as to where that crate was (in the loft by the hatch, too much other stuff for it to fit into the BCof Doom).

She confessed to really liking this business of being able to find things easily. I have told her that, one day, all cupboards could be this way.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 17th Mar 17, 9:21 PM
    • 1,080 Posts
    • 7,227 Thanks
    kboss2010
    I've "kondoed" my whole two-floor flat 6 times since I moved in a year and a half ago! And it's still a work in progress. It's only in the past few weeks that I'm actually starting to feel like I'm reaping the benefits of being able to locate things quickly & easily and am only just getting the hang of not hoarding to excess (a bad habit of mine rooted in my pack rat childhood lifestyle). I feel like it's a thing you just chip away at bit by bit until one day bigger achievements seem to snap into place.

Please don't feel despondent, we're all different people with different lifestyles, singletons, couples, solo parents, partnered parents, non-parents, sharing with others, or living alone.

Some folks have houses and garages and sheds, some have small flats, some are young(ish) and some have racked up a fair few decades and have absorbed the lifetime accumulations of older relations, too.

There's no one size-fits-all, nor one perfect time-frame, so hopefully no one should feel that they're not coping with kondo-ing or keeping up with a schedule. Please be kind to yourself.

Dropped in on the pal's shop after work today and took him a new calendar (YS for 8p!) and slung the 2016 ones (there were two, long story) into the recycling bin. I may pop over there tomorrow as I have a minor kondo-plan to enact, it's less than 5 mins' walk away so no hardship to visit.

Talked to the folks tonight. Mum told me she was tired of struggling with a couple of pairs of socks which kept creeping under the soles of her feet and remembered that she has a whole plastic crate of socks. She remembered them because I rounded up all the spares when I kondo'd their Bedroom Cupboard of Doom in 2016 and stuck a big label on it.

She also needed an envelope to send a charity cheque off, and found that in another crate in the same cupboard, clearly labelled Stationery. And she mentioned needing a card from the card cache for her SIL's birthday in the next couple of weeks, and I was able to prompt her as to where that crate was (in the loft by the hatch, too much other stuff for it to fit into the BCof Doom).

She confessed to really liking this business of being able to find things easily. I have told her that, one day, all cupboards could be this way.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    I'm discovering this myself lol!
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 18th Mar 17, 1:56 AM
    • 2,822 Posts
    • 10,114 Thanks
    Frogletina
    I am kondoing mornings - that's why I am falling behind.

Thursday...

12.00 Was woken by a phonecall asking me to go to the cinema.

12.30, I'd showered, washed my hair, dressed and was on my way to the bus stop.

1.00, blood test

1.15, M&S

1.30 Cinema, glass of water

2.00 - 3.30 approx - watched 'I Daniel Blake'

3.30 - 5.30 Read book in pub - 200 pages, one ginger ale

5.30 - 6.00 bus home

6.00 - 7.05 Finished book - approx 100 pages, while eating cold cheesy potatoes from the night before

7.20 - lift to book club, glass of water

9.45 - arrived home

10.00 - cooked supper

After that I watched some TV and played some games of Carcassonne online

Similar busy day today

It's now nearly 2am, and I have set the alarm for 7.30, as I have a day out which goes like this, bus, train, train, bus, meal, theatre, walk, train, train ,bus

I will recover on Sunday, hopefully.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first

SPC 8 #441 £1567.31 SPC 9 #441 £1014.64
    • tibawo
    • By tibawo 18th Mar 17, 6:17 AM
    • 1,021 Posts
    • 8,900 Thanks
    tibawo
    Agree with the other posters and I do understand where you are coming from as when I start something I expect quick successful results. KD is not about that. I have changed my ways: I do sometimes catch myself still looking at bargains I don't need. I caught myself looking at hand cream the other day, it took me a while to find scents I liked, I was ready to check out ... Light bulb came on and I never use hand cream so what was I thinking?

My house is not done and is being attacked slowly but I have really made an impact on surplus things coming in. I will always love my knick knacks so know I will never be a minimalist, yep I get despondent at times too but if having a bad day I tend to lurk rather than post for some inspiration!
    2017- No clutter to be seen : my aim 33min 37 sec a week.
    My ten pound weekly challenge - weeks completed 1/52 missed target 1
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 18th Mar 17, 6:52 AM
    • 637 Posts
    • 18,060 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    If I'm having a bad day I go and look at my knicker drawer. Or any other area that has been Kondoed and stayed tidy. Not everywhere, like others I've slipped back into some bad habits but slowly the Kondo tide is turning. And like GQs mum, when I know exactly where to find the Allen key/spare batteries/insect repellent/paintbrushes there is a real glow of satisfaction!
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 18th Mar 17, 8:00 AM
    • 6,628 Posts
    • 40,314 Thanks
    Pooky
    We had visitors this week so haven't been around much. I did have a fabulous result at a CS though and picked up 5 longline tops/short dresses - 3 still had tags on. I had a gap in my summer wardrobe for stuff that's cool and floaty for around the house and garden but decent enough to pop up the shop if we need something. these have filled the gap nicely and whilst DH questioned why I needed 5 he was more than happy when I pointed out they were all on the £1 rail. (They're all of the need ironing variety and I only iron in a blue moon so having 5 will be a bonus)

I knew I was looking out for tops like these after my summer clothes went from half a wardrobe to around 6 items with the last round of clothes kondo. They all made me very happy too which clothes don't tend to do.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • grunnie
    • By grunnie 18th Mar 17, 8:08 AM
    • 1,552 Posts
    • 8,545 Thanks
    grunnie
    I am off today to KM some cake at a cakefest with my 2 granddaughters.
    I think MK had a tiny flat and 1 cupboard when she started. My house is huge and had loads from 3 previous relatives whose homes I had to clear and in one case their home was even larger then mine. I have a loft a garage a shed and KM ing is an ongoing process. My clothes scarves etc drawers all keep tidy and are lovely to look at.
    I have spent less money than I did in the past as I much more careful and an item whether bath towels, sheets or just birthday cards still have to pass the joy test.
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 18th Mar 17, 8:29 AM
    • 6,628 Posts
    • 40,314 Thanks
    Pooky
    I must admit the whole process of getting rid of so much has put me off bringing so much in, especially food items. Our grocery budget this time last year was around the £80 per week - this was for 3 adults plus 2 more a couple of times a week and food for 5 cats. This weeks shop was £18. Last weeks £31. I'm now shopping for the week rather than having cupboards bulging for Justin. Justin can go eat elsewhere.

The resulting money that has been saved has allowed us to make some decent mortgage over payments and we have enough to go away for a few days next week.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 18th Mar 17, 9:20 AM
    • 1,080 Posts
    • 7,227 Thanks
    kboss2010
    I must admit the whole process of getting rid of so much has put me off bringing so much in, especially food items. Our grocery budget this time last year was around the £80 per week - this was for 3 adults plus 2 more a couple of times a week and food for 5 cats. This weeks shop was £18. Last weeks £31. I'm now shopping for the week rather than having cupboards bulging for Justin. Justin can go eat elsewhere.

The resulting money that has been saved has allowed us to make some decent mortgage over payments and we have enough to go away for a few days next week.
    Originally posted by Pooky
    It's amazing how it can change mindsets. We've reduced our food bill from £300+ a month to £140 a month just by not doing daily top up shops & buying stuff we don't need that week. If I can last another week without buying it, it doesn't get bought.

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • greent
    • By greent 18th Mar 17, 9:22 AM
    • 5,712 Posts
    • 57,797 Thanks
    greent

Originally posted by Pooky
    Yep - I'm slowly getting used to the idea of less 'things' on my pantry shelves - sometimes I feel a rising bubble of concern but knock it back - I'm just over a mile away from a 24 hour opening large Tesc0 and an Ald1 over the road from that which is open 8am-10pm - so I don't need to hold half their stock here!! And we're using up things which have been hanging around - not just ingredients, but things used with ingredients - such as cake cases - I had over 700 (stopped counting)at one point because I kept buying pretty packs of them - and 18 silicone ones which I also frequently use. Down to a couple of hundred or so now - will hopefully get to the stage where I have my silicone ones and one tub of paper cases (always useful for school cake sales/ taking cupcakes to friends) I *do* currently have 12 tins of tomatoes - but I have a mammoth batch cooking session planned so there are lots of meals in the freezer. Other than that I am happy to have just 1 or 2 around for pasta sauce/ pizza topping.

We're hopefully redoing our kitchen this year and I am seriously considering less food storage space than before
    Repaid mtge early (orig end 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next up: BTL Mtge Op Bal £69786. Cur Bal £67286 - 2017 target (18) £1000/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £435.84/£500 PAYDOX17 £8983/£10k Apr GC £265.66/£500 NSD 14 Decluttered 696/2017 items
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 18th Mar 17, 10:07 AM
    • 1,080 Posts
    • 7,227 Thanks
    kboss2010
    Yep - I'm slowly getting used to the idea of less 'things' on my pantry shelves - sometimes I feel a rising bubble of concern but knock it back - I'm just over a mile away from a 24 hour opening large Tesc0 and an Ald1 over the road from that which is open 8am-10pm - so I don't need to hold half their stock here!! And we're using up things which have been hanging around - not just ingredients, but things used with ingredients - such as cake cases - I had over 700 (stopped counting)at one point because I kept buying pretty packs of them - and 18 silicone ones which I also frequently use. Down to a couple of hundred or so now - will hopefully get to the stage where I have my silicone ones and one tub of paper cases (always useful for school cake sales/ taking cupcakes to friends) I *do* currently have 12 tins of tomatoes - but I have a mammoth batch cooking session planned so there are lots of meals in the freezer. Other than that I am happy to have just 1 or 2 around for pasta sauce/ pizza topping.

We're hopefully redoing our kitchen this year and I am seriously considering less food storage space than before
    Originally posted by greent
    Tinned tomatoes are always useful, they're one of the few things I may over-buy.

Same for us re the kitchen but we have a lot of pans that we do use so we need as much storage space for pans & Pyrex as possible.

Is it just me or are Pyrex dishes one of those things that you're either using all of or none hence the need for extra storage?

~ Lifehouse
    • elona
    • By elona 18th Mar 17, 11:32 AM
    • 10,835 Posts
    • 55,806 Thanks
    elona
    The awful front garden has been kondoed of weeds etc and tidied and the huge shrub that overshadowed the living room has been cut right back.

The lady who has started to help me has asked the next door neighbour how he feels about having the shared hedge cut down by about a foot and he seems quite pleased at the idea.

DDs efforts at weeding have removed a lot of the perennials that used to be there so will need to look at ideas to replace some and the liners and gravel round beds need sorting. i found a good deal on cottage garden perennials so will see what family think tomorrow.

Need to dash for bus to York so hugs to all
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • dragonlily
    • By dragonlily 18th Mar 17, 11:49 AM
    • 154 Posts
    • 1,211 Thanks
    dragonlily
    My aim for today is to work on a more minimalist wardrobe for spring and to pack other things away.

I've been looking at project 333, better go get started x
    • hebwood
    • By hebwood 18th Mar 17, 12:40 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 1,704 Thanks
    hebwood
    Not posted for a while, but do lurk a bit.

Juliebunny, as others have said, it can take a long while to get it 'all' done, and for me, it's an ongoing process, after an big push at the start, nicker drawer, clothes, kitchen stuff, komono. Lots will need another big do - e.g. airing cupboard. I have done some large sections of paper, but still more to be done, and only just started on the photos.

So will continue to nibble to my timetable, pleased with overall progress.
    However I must confess to acquiring more in the craft stash, despite good intentions! Oh well!.

Take care everyone.
    H
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 18th Mar 17, 2:37 PM
    • 5,476 Posts
    • 42,881 Thanks
    Igamogam
    3 bin bags to CS - clothes, books and miscellaneous stuff slow and steady wins the race I say
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

223Posts Today

1,290Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @EmmaDark30: @MartinSLewis off on holiday next month all paid for with free cash for switching bank accounts! Thank you!

• MSE weekly email: Big Energy Switch 7, £5 Next/Zara etc, buy euros now?, 10xNectar, 2for1 gardens, urgent easyjet https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Today's Twitter poll 2: following on, which of these professions would you trust least if you were using their services?

• Follow Martin