Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greent
    • By greent 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    • 5,871Posts
    • 59,357Thanks
    greent
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 30th Dec 15 at 12:31 PM
    Link to 2015: thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5146700

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £3000/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £657.00/£500 PAYDOX17 £9887/£10k Decluttered 865/2017 items
Page 385
    • kittie
    • By kittie 14th Mar 17, 5:30 PM
    • 10,673 Posts
    • 57,224 Thanks
    kittie
    hope you shake the lurgy off Elona

oldtractor, the underwear and sock areas were my first ever kondo exercies, it was over two years ago and there is nothing going to make them messy again, they just remain so neat, all I do is take things out and put clean ones back

Today`s kondo is finished, all my patterns, about 30 years worth, so many nice patterns and I mean `so many` about 4 foot high worth in full boxes, only three duplicates and only one binned. Best of all they are in numbered boxes and I have written the full lists in a book, referring to box numbers

Been a nice day, nothing too strenuous but made muesli, a casserole and a cake, all designed to make life easier
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 14th Mar 17, 7:35 PM
    • 853 Posts
    • 14,413 Thanks
    Siebrie
    A colleague has been told to sit at my desk and replace me on Wednesdays, when I am on parental leave. She has refused to do so, so far, claiming my desk is too messy. True, it has a few piles of documents, but it is part of her task to help me clear them. Anyway, my boss has now insisted that she sit at my desk, and today my colleague begged me to clear my desk before she came. I put everything in a cupboard I will take it out one at a time from Thursday, and finish processing them. It is contracts we have signed, and each contract takes about two hours to process (scanning, copying, filling in several databases, informing people, making the binder). I can't kondo them, but having them in their proper place will help.
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 6358,54= £ 5581.38
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 14th Mar 17, 8:00 PM
    • 11,004 Posts
    • 212,014 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Evening all.

A ne'er-do-well who used to hang around my neighbourhood once excused his absence for a while by telling SuperGran that he'd been camping in Cornwall.

He was too dim to realise that his court case and sentence of one month at Her Majesty's Pleasure had been reported in the local rag. Since then, the phrase has been an in-joke between ourselves.

Am going to be joyously ragging a pair of trousers when they come through the wash. They're completely worn up, gone to holes, and I was tempted to keep them for decorating but talked myself out of it.

I don't do that much decorating and am not a particularly mucky puppy when I am doing it, so don't need to have a dedicated decorating wardrobe.

I shall still have a bit of a wibble when I do so, but I'm working on new habits and aiming to be less of a Might Be Useful hoarder.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 14th Mar 17, 8:15 PM
    • 3,350 Posts
    • 38,258 Thanks
    camelot1001
    I've been moving back into the newly decorated office today, nice to start afresh. The desk drawers have all been cleared and only the essentials put in the new desk. I found 5 boxes of staples that have now been put back in the main cupboard. It felt good to take control and have it all tidy.

I was still in the mood when I got home so culled 7 cardigans that have passed their best, some for the CS and some for the rag bag.
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 14th Mar 17, 9:00 PM
    • 853 Posts
    • 14,413 Thanks
    Siebrie
    I'd been wondering what to do with dds' schoolbags and my workbags, when it suddenly dawned on me that they can be hung from the children's coat pegs, so I've told dds what to do and they agree that it's a good solution. Now to persuade dh that he is an adult and that his coats go on the adults' coat rack....

Dd2 came home from her ballet performance with a nice box of candy. The candy was gone within the hour, and I have confiscated the box for keeping all our remote controls in.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 14th Mar 17, 9:38 PM
    • 719 Posts
    • 17,653 Thanks
    MMF007
    Phew, art class went well, no need to kondo today's sketch

Small bag of random items to CS. Fridge-bottom veg used in HM soup. Shoe box purloined from DH for new acrylic paints I am sure it is tempting to buy lots of pretty paints, brushes, etc and some people in my class have wheely trollies full but i am determined to keep to the basics, at least for now! Sketch pad, brushes and cheap canvass boards in good sized picnic bag that cost £4 from CS ages ago, paints in shoe box. While I can't kondo fold them I have got them neatly sorted rather than jumbled up
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 15th Mar 17, 7:17 AM
    • 10,673 Posts
    • 57,224 Thanks
    kittie
    I think I will just kondo, or transform, another great mound of polar fleece today, it sits on my bucket chair in my sewing room and glares at me to move it. Zip is ordered, so I think I will have a nice relaxing quiet day today, I`ll prep the fabric for another dressing gown and I will look at making zipped vest tops with the leftovers from both fleeces, good for the allotment. I don`t need to get out, am quite happy to do this non-strenuous hobbycraft and to do some allotment planning later. The dressing gown I made earlier is fab, I am wearing it every day

I have another bulky pile of fabric in a cupboard, thick sherpa-type with raised stripes. Might be enough for a top but later. I keep having to move it, so it could do with a kondo but I won`t get rid as I would regret it

So far so good, it is nice to be in this stage of tweaking around the edges
    • oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 15th Mar 17, 8:06 AM
    • 2,195 Posts
    • 14,980 Thanks
    oldtractor
    morning Kittie happy "zipping" hope you enjoy a relaxing day doing what you like :-)
    Trying for 10 a day
    • GoingToDoIt
    • By GoingToDoIt 16th Mar 17, 12:39 PM
    • 414 Posts
    • 2,863 Thanks
    GoingToDoIt
    I'm a bit worried you all Kondoed yourselves, I've never seen this thread go so quiet

Been getting some "new" clothes from my summer collection under the bed
    Apr 16... Hfax £2551/483 Vrgin £3420/2977 MBNA 2 £2100/0 MBNA1 98/0
    Total cc 0% debt £8364/3460 updated 26 May 17 (halfway to debt free )
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 16th Mar 17, 12:58 PM
    • 658 Posts
    • 18,498 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    I thought everyone had gone to another thread and nobody had told me!

Limited progress here but I love the fact that cleaning, which I loathe doing, is now much easier and quicker. I've been Kondoing brambles in the garden, and using a hedge trimmer which my neighbour kindly lent me. I'm not claiming that I can apply MK to the garden in every aspect but I have noticed a change in my approach, fewer plastic pots and I'm less tolerant of plants that aren't behaving as they should.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • grunnie
    • By grunnie 16th Mar 17, 1:23 PM
    • 1,562 Posts
    • 8,724 Thanks
    grunnie
    I have spent the morning in my loft ( got a steroid jab in my knee last week so feeling so much better). Have got a duvet 3 pillows and 6 pairs of curtains to go on freegle and a sunlounger for 1 of my sons. Have shifted every single thing in the loft and hoovered, cleaned both sides of the windows and hoovered up a few dead wasps and a spider or six. Neat and tidy loft and an electric blanket, keyboard and very old fan heater to go to the small electric bit at the recycling centre.
    Now I have my feet up ready to watch Dr Blake on TV
    forgot to say I have many rolls of wallpaper that I have kept which are being recycled too
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 16th Mar 17, 3:15 PM
    • 4,226 Posts
    • 17,271 Thanks
    Slinky
    I too have been in the loft, although it sounds a far more primitive affair than your's grunnie.

Dragged down some old business paperwork from 2007-2009 which I am working my way through shredding. It feels damp and the lever arch file has gone rusty. I'm fairly convinced we have some sort of 'issue' with the loft as occasionally we get dead wood lice dropping through the light fittings into the bathroom. Finally got around to phoning a roofer who is coming the week after next to have a look and advise.
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 16th Mar 17, 3:25 PM
    • 3,746 Posts
    • 27,264 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    I too have been in the loft, although it sounds a far more primitive affair than your's grunnie.

Dragged down some old business paperwork from 2007-2009 which I am working my way through shredding. It feels damp and the lever arch file has gone rusty. I'm fairly convinced we have some sort of 'issue' with the loft as occasionally we get dead wood lice dropping through the light fittings into the bathroom. Finally got around to phoning a roofer who is coming the week after next to have a look and advise.
    Originally posted by Slinky
    I hope they can find the problem and sort it out Slinky
    "Shop" From Stash (5 skeins down!)
    OS Weight Loss 0/10
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 16th Mar 17, 4:07 PM
    • 719 Posts
    • 17,653 Thanks
    MMF007
    Yep, the lack of new posts had me worried, too!

I tried on my few pairs of trousers again because continued (slow) weight loss means one pair is now critical (ie, very likely to fall down). Conclusion was that the last big pair have to go before i am embarassed by gravity. I have only one decent pair in my current size and two that are a touch too small really. As I was passing m&s I noticed a sale on. Wandered in, found suitable smartish trousers and a cheap legging type, er, and, er a bright and cheerful jumper (jumper only £4.50)!

I just can't shop from my own wardrobe atm, but my time will come

Not enough time to re-do any clothes categories as off to the parents' tomorrow but i shall look forward to another clothes kondo when i get back.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 16th Mar 17, 4:22 PM
    • 2,195 Posts
    • 14,980 Thanks
    oldtractor
    perhaps we have nearly all kondoed everything we want to at the moment hence the lack of posts. Keep going peeps you know it makes sense
    Trying for 10 a day
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 16th Mar 17, 5:26 PM
    • 11,004 Posts
    • 212,014 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I wuz at work. I kondo'd quite a bit of scrap paper and wore out a pencil on note-taking.

Have also kondo'd two batteries out of my bathroom scales, which have been kept quite busy on weigh-ins most days as I monitor my weight-loss. I'd fallen off the wagon last autumn and the losses had stalled but am back eating lots of salads and it's slipping off again. A kilo this week, yayy!

I am so looking forward to being able to kondo the one pair of work trousers I'm constantly washing-and-wearing. They're looking well past their best but I have about 8 pairs in waiting for when my size drops a bit, so I don't want to shell out unnecessarily but it'll be joyous to get rid of them.

Have just racked a washload which includes the trousers which will be the rag bag when dry. Can't wait to see the back of those.

I'm also kondo-ing frozen stuff, like the salmon which I thawed overnight and am baking for tea. I have removed a small meat item in a clear plastic bag. Dunno if it's stewing steak or something bigger which got scrunched up. I guess the mystery will resolve when it thaws.

Freezer surprise, don'tcha love it?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• silvasava
    • By silvasava 16th Mar 17, 7:29 PM
    • 2,977 Posts
    • 47,479 Thanks
    silvasava
    Evening All - I felt like Billy No Mates too! No kondoing today - helping my ladies at Age Concern and then got taken out to lunch by DS1. A bit of essential groceries bought 'cos I was in the area & it would save a trip.
    Off to pack my case for tomorrows trip to sunny Lincolnshire for the weekend. Looking forward to a couple of nights in an hotel and catching up with family and no cooking!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • tibawo
    • By tibawo 16th Mar 17, 7:30 PM
    • 1,034 Posts
    • 9,056 Thanks
    tibawo
    Does dd1 kding subjects she doesn't want to do at GCSE count? Just had a fab parents eve, a few teachers had added themselves onto our list as they wanted to try and persuade her to do their GCSE. Sometimes i forget how lucky I am to have such awesome kids. What made it nice was her new shoes arrived today and i had not got round to telling her i had ordered them so smiles all round.
    2017- No clutter to be seen : my aim 33min 37 sec a week.
    My ten pound weekly challenge - weeks completed 3/52 missed target 1
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 16th Mar 17, 8:53 PM
    • 853 Posts
    • 14,413 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Well, I have done most of our kondoing, now it's just maintenance with the occasional lightning flash of ideas to store items better. It's a rather natural process: I find or see a few items in different places on different times, my brain starts working away (veryvery subconsciously) and all of a sudden, usually at a moment when I'm doing something completely different, I have a solution for a problem I didn't know I had

DH could kondo more, his part of the shared wardrobe is overflowing into mine, but I just shove his items back into his part. If he does not care about nicely stored clothes, why should I? Dds have a lot of toys, but most get played with, and I rotate them in and out of action via the attic. If something breaks or gets sticky (old barbies - yuk!) they get thrown away immediately; plastic tat gets removed quickly, and then discarded at work; school art is admired and then recycled (at the bottom of the old paper box. Dds know that the art is not displayed, but I have a gut feeling that actually seeing it in the bin would be a bit too much).

Every evening I make the living room nice again: fold the blankets, plump the cushions, remove dirty crockery. The kitchen is not there yet, but slowly getting there.

And I have started on the garden, sowing seeds in trays, hoping something will come up and survive I only today thought that I want to dig over a sunny corner of the garden and sow a whole package of flower seeds there. A few nights ago dh was complaining that the anti-moss treatment I gave the lawn in October didn't work, and before I knew it my mouth said "we need to make large borders there with shadeloving plants - the moss is never going to go, it's way too dark and damp there".
    Last edited by Siebrie; 17-03-2017 at 12:29 PM.
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 16th Mar 17, 9:18 PM
    • 980 Posts
    • 7,350 Thanks
    kboss2010
    So I've been kondoing and, during my week off, I kondoed junk drawers, bedding bags & boxes, kitchen cupboards and under bed storage.

A trip to IKEA with a list of "needs" and I came straight home with the bag, emptied it, used all of the things that needed to be put into immediate use (rug grippers, flour jars, picture frames for new artwork) and put away in their "home" the things for later use (spare bath mat, food bags, kids' presents for a few months' time) - it's the first time in as long as I can remember that EVERYTHING I brought home in a shopping bag had a place and didn't end up half-full and sitting on my stairs ready to be shoved in the upstairs cupboard out of sight to be sorted later.

Feels a lot like progress.
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,892Posts Today

9,417Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Emloy93: @MartinSLewis I did this! It 100% works ????????

• RT @Photo_Pete: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, I'll renew mine before my 24th in September!

• Tell any 23 yr olds... you're allowed to buy a 3 year 16-25 railcard the day before your 24th birthday then it's valid until ur almost 27 RT

• Follow Martin