Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greent
    • By greent 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    • 5,804Posts
    • 58,641Thanks
    greent
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 30th Dec 15 at 12:31 PM
    Link to 2015: thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5146700

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Repaid mtge early (orig end 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next up: BTL Mtge 12/16 Bal £69786. 2017 OP target (#18) £2000/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £457.00/£500 PAYDOX17 £9435/£10k Decluttered 741/2017 items
Page 384
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 13th Mar 17, 2:34 PM
    • 6,642 Posts
    • 40,485 Thanks
    Pooky
    I've never had one and will never write one!

Just kondod another boot full to the tip - this was all garage gubbins- broken bits of this and that and lots of packaging bits - huge lumps of polystyrene etc. Had a good tidy out there and stacked the remaining logs. Looked for the car shampoo and sponges but they'd gone so I assume they all got used up when DDs last cleaned their cars. Replaced those bits on the way back from the tip and went straight out and cleaned the car, washed the garage door and porch down and gave the drive a good scrub down. Next door neighbour is now out cutting the grass - we take it in turns out the front, but there's now grass all up the clean car. Oh well, it will brush off when it's dry.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 13th Mar 17, 3:47 PM
    • 2,927 Posts
    • 46,707 Thanks
    silvasava
    Absolutely beautiful day here sun quite hot!! So bed stripped and quilt cover, sheet & pillowcases out on the line, another load about to finish and another one going in. DH & I went down to the boat today to take the cushions down. He wanted to do a little bit of sanding before the anti-foul goes on and I wanted to do a tidy up in the cabin and check stocks.
    Back home and a lovely cuppa in the garden with puss mooching around.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • kittie
    • By kittie 13th Mar 17, 4:19 PM
    • 10,617 Posts
    • 56,776 Thanks
    kittie
    oh I am so tired, really tired now. Day starts with a whoosh and the jobs all line up, then come after 3pm, I am dragging my feet. Me too, I got lots of washing done and line dried and re-made the bed and I kept seeing dust and fluff, low down, so I ended up doing skirtings etc. That plus making sordough bread, vacuuming, cutting out a pair of trousers, sorting two of my eight storage boxes of sewing patterns, covers off garden benches etc. I have yet to have a relaxing, no doing anything day. I`m also eyeing up my snug and the walls need some paint. I`ll keep the blinds down and won`t notice tomorrow

I think I am going to have to work out some ways to preserve some time for doing nothing
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 13th Mar 17, 4:21 PM
    • 4,186 Posts
    • 17,028 Thanks
    Slinky
    I too have had washing out today. First time this year. Need to go fetch it in before it starts getting damp.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 13th Mar 17, 5:15 PM
    • 647 Posts
    • 18,338 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Kittie you need to programme it in or it won't happen!

Since I became self-employed I've found time management is one of my weaknesses. I only work part-time and some of my work is subject to very specific deadlines but there are days when there's nothing in the diary. I find I sit down at my desk thinking I'll 'just' update my accounts, tidy up some emails etc and two hours later I'm still there faffing around with stuff that isn't urgent. Meanwhile the gardening, decorating and various UFOs don't get done - I don't have your drive to get on with things!

I always have a lunch hour, even if it's not till 2 or 3 - time to sit down and read, check this thread and some blogs I follow, nurse the cat etc. Today I made myself get out in the garden - of course once I got out there I didn't want to come in. It's hard to balance 'must do' with 'could do later' but I definitely think you need some 'doing nothing' time every day. I don't watch much tv (and never during the daytime ) so in the evenings I listen to music and knit.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 13th Mar 17, 5:22 PM
    • 2,880 Posts
    • 24,617 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Just had a little Nana nap got up at 5am, left home at 7am to get OH to hospital (30 miles on a road that is often closed after RTA's) for a colonoscopy, nothing sinister found, so same journey at same time tomorrow for CT scan, neither of us slept very well so both shattered.

Lovely sunny day, would have liked to try and do a tiny bit more in the garden this afternoon, but energy levels would not oblige, so just going with the flow

We only have 2 people who send us those round robin letters, we are very fond of both parties and sadly don't see them now we have moved away, so the letters are very welcome, but they normally tell of holidays taken, places visited (castes, gardens etc.) and neither has children, so just snippets regarding people we all know.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 13th Mar 17, 5:40 PM
    • 10,617 Posts
    • 56,776 Thanks
    kittie
    yes you are right pollywolly, Up to several months ago I was making a list for every day, how I got through the day after dh died and something to get up for and it was motivating. Then that stopped, maybe because of kondo because kondo gave me something positive to get done. Now kondo is almost sorted, I just go where the mood takes me and I feel that I am doing too much. I want to get back into wood carving, knitting and reading, rather than house maintenance stuff and cleaning

I am making a list before I go to bed tonight, including my meals and there will be some me time, either a nice cycle ride or a trip out
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 13th Mar 17, 6:41 PM
    • 10,914 Posts
    • 210,202 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I'm feeling pleased with myself as I came in from work (having done two errands on the way home, one for me and one for a pal), dropped my work stuff, did a quick change of clothes then biked to the allotment.

I was tired and hungry but it's been a gloriously sunny day and I'd been stuck indoors working. Spent five mins on my lottie bagging up some more bad weeds etc then had to make tracks to get them to the tip before it closed.

Very nearly didn't do that extra bit, it would have been easy just to come home and put the kettle on and lounge around until time to cook supper, so I am pleased that I motivated myself. Also saw and briefly chatted with two lottie neighbours whom I seldom see, which was lovely.

Have finished another of the to-be-read pile and a cloth napkin has gone into raggy holes. It was one of four I made out of a secondhand tablecloth got from a jumble sale about 20 years ago and it's companions probably won't be too far behind it. Less stuff and more space, coming up.

Keep up the good work, everyone. GQ x
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• short_bird
    • By short_bird 13th Mar 17, 6:44 PM
    • 1,773 Posts
    • 25,216 Thanks
    short_bird
    GreyQueen
    How's Supergran??
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 13th Mar 17, 6:58 PM
    • 10,914 Posts
    • 210,202 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    GreyQueen
    How's Supergran??
    Originally posted by short_bird
    She's fine, still got more energy in her seventies than most people half her age. She's busily trying to help people in our block who are very vulnerable as well as having a very active social life.

I've come to realise that SG is a minimalist. She doesn't use the term - or hasn't in the ten plus years I've known her - but she lives very simply and unclutteredly in her home of 30+ years and can't bear clutter and truck around the place. You could pack up and clear her out of there in an hour or two.

She prefers to spend her time going out and about with friends and is no stranger to the local pub where they do nice food. If you're buying, she's a G &T kind of woman, a beverage which I am coming to enjoy as former faves seem to be disagreeing with me.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• MMF007
    • By MMF007 13th Mar 17, 9:14 PM
    • 677 Posts
    • 16,781 Thanks
    MMF007
    My mum wanted help sorting a pile or two or three of paperwork (letters, statements, magazines, and the like) and i found a cardboard wallet stuffed with xmas cards and round robin letters from 2014, another from 2015 and, of course, one from 2016.
    I asked her what she wanted to do with them and (hint) maybe just keep 2016's. Oh no, she wanted them all, to read 'again' (i will bet my house, small though it is, that she never reads them).

My new client wants some help moving furniture round, well she is not able to do it but I will be able to make her bedroom so much more user-friendly by shifting a few smaller pieces of furniture to another room. I am looking forward to it because it will be one of those jobs that doesn't take that long but makes a big difference

Kittie, it is a year since i gave up being an employee. I am self employed now and was working about 13 hours a week at first. However, several clients have asked for more hours and I am spending more time with an elderly friend, and now I have taken on another client AND i am going to art class every week. There are barely enough hours in the week! DH does seasonal work and so he's mad busy from April and then all housework, cooking and chores land on me for about 8 months. Oh well, i never get bored!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • wort
    • By wort 13th Mar 17, 10:22 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 5,485 Thanks
    wort
    Have kondoed my wooden bread bin
    It sat on my worktop and held my bread (gluten/free) and pitta breads. Plus all manner of other detritus!
    But was looking worse for wear, so I'm experimenting with using my decorative biscuit tin which held nothing, for my bread , and if I can manage with that I won't replace the bin.
    The wooden lid off the bread bin was also a chopping board, so I've kept that and slotted it in the drawer. The bin is in the outside bin!
    Lovely day here so have replaced my winter checked wool curtains with some new ikat grey and yellow design, from Arg@s with 2 new yellow cushions . As I got rid of the old "spring curtains " last year.and there was 25% off home . I can't believe the difference they've made, so light and cheerful. Definitely joy inducing!
    I had been on the Arg@s site looking for a floor spot lamp as hubby says he can't read the paper in there as there is no decent light. So that was bought too. And he's happy.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • elona
    • By elona 13th Mar 17, 11:57 PM
    • 10,880 Posts
    • 56,219 Thanks
    elona
    "Round robins" always remind me of an "Everyone loves Raymond" episode when everyone else seemed to be doing so well.

Eventually they came up with phrases like X was given a government offer he could not refuse ( jail) - Y was travelling and
    learning languages (gap year) etc.

Like faceache - everyone else is doing so well etc yet the reality might well be so different.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 14th Mar 17, 7:39 AM
    • 10,617 Posts
    • 56,776 Thanks
    kittie
    did my daily list last night, for today and feel better for it. I have programmed time to myself and being a dull day, will go to visit a small market town today, only ten miles away but never been there in two years. That is my future plan, to extend myself outwards, to find all these market town car parks that I was always driven to. that and tea shops

A small amount of kondo is in the pipeline, sewing patterns. Scrabbling yesterday trying to find a trouser pattern, I had sorted into makes but would be much better if categorised into types. I know this is going to be a repeat of the skirt scenario I must have over 100 assorted patterns, will count as I go. Many are old but good, that will be a nice kondo for today

I`ll also kondo a pack of mutton, making welcome space in the freezer, will transform it into ready meals

Biscuit tin sounds good wort. I never thought I would use a bread bin but I got a small neat metal one from john lewis, also good for bits and bobs on the countertop

Think I`ll have a G n T this evening, months since I had one and it will kondo a bottle of feverfew tonic. yummy. Had a reality check yesterday, thanks to pollywolly, back to bringing enjoyment into my life, not just joyfulness through de-cluttering
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 14th Mar 17, 7:53 AM
    • 647 Posts
    • 18,338 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Hurrah, Kittie - a good plan! I have to remind myself every so often that I gave up my full-time job because I wanted to have more time to do the things I enjoy - one of which is sewing, I also like gardening but not to the exclusion of all the fun stuff. If all I'm doing is chores, then it's not worth it!
    I hope you have a lovely day and still get some Kondoing and routine stuff done.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • Floss
    • By Floss 14th Mar 17, 7:53 AM
    • 3,524 Posts
    • 26,602 Thanks
    Floss
    I have to admit to sending a round-robin last Christmas, to those distant rellies & old family friends who know my kids and/or DH's family. It's purpose was to update following the loss of his parents and sharing a few snaps of DS2's marriage to our lovely DDiL.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 14th Mar 17, 8:32 AM
    • 2,927 Posts
    • 46,707 Thanks
    silvasava
    Floss - I send an annual update to a few friends but it's just a letter really although I used to have one 'friend' who used to do a round robin that always seemed very smug. Going to hit my to do list today & need to sort out clothes for our weekend away. RoD looking tidier as we took all the cushions, pillows and sleeping bags back to the boat yesterday, I'll probably finish having a tidy in there today too.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • kittie
    • By kittie 14th Mar 17, 12:38 PM
    • 10,617 Posts
    • 56,776 Thanks
    kittie
    I am back and re-vitalised been thinking about kondo and why I am doing it and appreciate that it is to keep the energy flow in my home. I took a short list with me as I called into sainsburys on the way back and I walked past everything not on my list. It is about keeping myself restrained from buying anything which might need to be kondo`ed in a year

Had a look into my dried food stores just now and need muesli, so will make my own as I have all the ingredients and slowly those stores will reduce. My food stores are very much on my list, need to use tins as a matter of course ie actively choosing them. I won`t be doing the full kondo on any foods for quite a while but I will, eventually and they will release a lot of space

Pattern categorising this afternoon and will stick a list on the inside of a door, see at a glance what I have. Definitely some reading, once past the natural 2 pm nap feeling as I cannot keep awake then, if reading

It might be dull outside but I am back to my normal self, got chatting with a stranger, a man and later with another stranger, a 91 year old woman, who kept saying to enjoy things while you can. Tomorrow I plan to go a bit further afield via car and then bus, market day so parking will be busy, hence the bus . Will be writing my to-do list tonight
    • elona
    • By elona 14th Mar 17, 3:11 PM
    • 10,880 Posts
    • 56,219 Thanks
    elona
    I have just arranged for neighbour's female gardener to come on Friday morning and sort me out by doing weeding and hedge cutting etc as well as planting up a raised bed in the back garden.

Really pleased I have got something arranged but when I was in my dressing gown as had decided to have a lie in as sneezing and coughing.

Middle dd was due to arrive back from South America tonight and stay over with me but the blizzards over there have cancelled flights so it looks as if it will be tomorrow teatime instead. I have ordered an online grocery shop to be delivered here tomorrow afternoon and will do a tidy up, hoover and mop tomorrow.

kittie

I am so pleased you are getting out and talking to people

Good luck with the trip tomorrow.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 14th Mar 17, 3:22 PM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 14,980 Thanks
    oldtractor
    kondoed the underwear and sock draws both mine and Dh's. so satisfying. all tidy folded and neat. then I did the bedding chest. did a pile of ironing and put away lovingly. love this thread.
    Trying for 10 a day
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

118Posts Today

1,789Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin