Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greent
    • By greent 30th Dec 15, 11:31 AM
    • 5,605Posts
    • 56,693Thanks
    greent
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 30th Dec 15, 11:31 AM
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 30th Dec 15 at 11:31 AM
    Link to 2015: thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5146700

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Repaid mtge early (originally 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next up: BTL Mtge. Op Bal £69786. Cur Bal £68286 - 2017 target £0/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £368.68/£500 PAYDOX17 £6558/£10k Mar GC £355.16/£400 NSD 14 Decluttered 455/2017 items
Page 383
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 12th Mar 17, 3:01 PM
    • 10,733 Posts
    • 206,299 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Ahhh, the joy of coming back to a well-ordered home with very little to do to re-set life for the coming week. Can't beat it.

I'm setting myself for the coming week, have bathed the allotment grime away, am running a washload inc my gardening gloves and clothes and will do some housework.

Was just retrieveing some gift-wrap to wrap a present and realised that my xmas stuff and tags was mixed up with my birthday stuff and tags, so have separated them into different folders to make life easier next time.

I shop for Xmas gifts throughout the year, a habit I formed in my teens as just about all of them have Dec-Jan birthdays and it can get to be an expensive time of the year if you don't organise yourself.

Plus I like to avoid the shops from mid-November onwards, apart from food and other essentials, as I find doing so contributes greatly to my personal happiness.

Dug up another area of plot today, have found some more docks to dry out on the cold-frame and have harvested some parsnips, leeks and chard. Am managing to eat something from the plot 12 months a year, which is pleasing. As was the two IKEYA blue bags of rubbishy roots which took a one way trip to the green waste section of the tip.

Not so busy as yesterday, seems Sunday lunchtime is a good time to do a tip run, if you can be arrissed.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 12th Mar 17, 4:57 PM
    • 15,184 Posts
    • 194,097 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Hope everyone is well and coping with what life throws at them.

4 big bags taken to the CS yesterday which was immensely satisfying
    Currently working through wool stash by making a blanket for baby a work colleague is expecting.
    grocery challenge March budget £400 spent £364.23
    SPC~10 No100 : : X4 £1150o/t fund so far
    read your books challenge-currently on good husband material
    xstitch challenge 63 Celtic Christmas
    17in 2017 challenge 3/17
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 12th Mar 17, 6:23 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 15,170 Thanks
    MMF007
    I too have been prepping for the week ahead. HM soup, so i can take some to elderly friend and i can have a simple tea tomorrow (long work day), clothes washed, dried and kondo folded in drawers, clothing for tomorrow laid out ready, and lunches made.

Have checked my diary for the week ahead and although it is busy the schedule is set out and I should be ok!

I kondo'd the annoying half-finished artvwork. Life's too short to let it annoy m, or take up more of my time.. i have decided to start it again, different technique is calling (and different colours to those we used in class!). In order to 'get straight back on the bike' I have just spent an enjoyable 3 hours dabbling with paint, refining an earlier work and making a really colourful picture of a humming bird (not life like but very pretty!). So I feel like I am back in equilibrium

I love antique furniture but have none. Maybe one day.......
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 12th Mar 17, 7:38 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 17,634 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    I have aquilegia and wild violets in my garden and love them both, I pull out the ones that land in the veg patch but I like a fairly wild and cottage-garden look. I wish I'd never accepted the gift of some alpine strawberry plants however ...
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 12th Mar 17, 7:50 PM
    • 2,826 Posts
    • 44,810 Thanks
    silvasava
    When my boys were babies the house we had had a bed of Alpine strawberries - they often had them for tea in the summer. I like to use them as an edging for borders but I dont have any now.
    Greenbee - more than happy to supply you with Aquilegia and violets - don't suppose you'd like some bluebells would you
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 12th Mar 17, 7:53 PM
    • 779 Posts
    • 13,063 Thanks
    Siebrie
    We kondoed a very busy, but enjoyable, weekend. Dd2 (5) had a ballet performance, it was a real show with a storyline connecting the dances of all 216 pupils. Dd was a flower and was on stage for about five minutes, with a huge smile on her face - she loved it! She had to perform Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon.
    Dd1 (8) had horseriding lesson yesterday, outside, and then forgot to bring her normal boits back home, so I had to drive there to pick them up today, 40 minute round trip. Thank goodness dh has a company car with fuel card.
    Today we put up the temporary greenhouse that I got for my birthday in December, and the first seeds are sown; it makes me so happy Old gladioli and verbena stalks have been removed from the garden and added to the greenwaste bin. Aquilegia is coming up nicely, I love that plant! Buddleia will have to be kondoed, because it selfseeded in front of my vine, and I prefer the vine
    Our lawn is full of Jacobaea Vulgaris, which is poisonous and killed dd1's pet rabbit last year. Any idea how to get rid of it without resorting to poison? I'm hesitant to walk on the lawn barefooted, because I'm afraid the poison will go through the soles of the feet and accumulate in the liver
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 4154,12= £ 3633.77
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 12th Mar 17, 7:58 PM
    • 11,771 Posts
    • 211,093 Thanks
    greenbee
    When my boys were babies the house we had had a bed of Alpine strawberries - they often had them for tea in the summer. I like to use them as an edging for borders but I dont have any now.
    Greenbee - more than happy to supply you with Aquilegia and violets - don't suppose you'd like some bluebells would you
    Originally posted by silvasava
    I'd love some native bluebells, but am busy trying to kill off all the spanish bluebells infesting my garden (I'm actually doing pretty well at this).

I'm about for the next couple of weeks as I'm off work following a minor op. ALthough I can't drive at the moment. In fact just having a bath has taken up the whole of today
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 12th Mar 17, 8:00 PM
    • 4,092 Posts
    • 16,118 Thanks
    Slinky
    We kondoed a very busy, but enjoyable, weekend. Dd2 (5) had a ballet performance, it was a real show with a storyline connecting the dances of all 216 pupils. Dd was a flower and was on stage for about five minutes, with a huge smile on her face - she loved it! She had to perform Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon.
    Dd1 (8) had horseriding lesson yesterday, outside, and then forgot to bring her normal boits back home, so I had to drive there to pick them up today, 40 minute round trip. Thank goodness dh has a company car with fuel card.
    Today we put up the temporary greenhouse that I got for my birthday in December, and the first seeds are sown; it makes me so happy Old gladioli and verbena stalks have been removed from the garden and added to the greenwaste bin. Aquilegia is coming up nicely, I love that plant! Buddleia will have to be kondoed, because it selfseeded in front of my vine, and I prefer the vine
    Our lawn is full of Jacobaea Vulgaris, which is poisonous and killed dd1's pet rabbit last year. Any idea how to get rid of it without resorting to poison? I'm hesitant to walk on the lawn barefooted, because I'm afraid the poison will go through the soles of the feet and accumulate in the liver
    Originally posted by Siebrie

Apparently this has a lot of information from a Dutch lady who lost a horse to ragwort poisoning, am I right in thinking you speak Dutch? http://www.jakobskruiskruid.com/index.php
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 12th Mar 17, 8:05 PM
    • 4,092 Posts
    • 16,118 Thanks
    Slinky
    Finally got around to putting the last dregs of candles in glass jars into the oven this evening and melted the wax. Tipped it into the bin and wiped the jars clean with some kitchen towel ready to be recycled.

I did speculate on microwaving them, I'm glad I didn't as it turned out there was a small piece of metal at the bottom of each jar that the wick was connected to. Thought I'd post on this to warn anybody thinking of microwaving candle jars.
    • WeeMidgie
    • By WeeMidgie 12th Mar 17, 8:32 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 3,230 Thanks
    WeeMidgie
    Yesterday I helped a friend kondo a cupboard of doom... she is a (very good) art teacher, and it held materials, resources and folders going back over her 30 year career. I handed things out to her and she deposited them in the relevant boxes - you know the drill: keep, charity, dump, recycle. Lots of stuff had died in storage, loads of dried out tubes of paint and glue that was past it; or she had forgotten what she had
    and had bought more. Shelf upon shelf of stuff, all jumbled up, stuffed in disintegrating plastic bags. And very dusty.

She hadn't been able to face it on her own. I must admit there was a point at which I felt I'd had enough, but persevered, and then finally got the satisfaction of hoovering out and washing the shelves and seeing the pristine space we had created.

She now knows what she's got is useful and has made decisions on what she's still prepared to teach, so no more children's art classes meant a whole load of materials could go.

We celebrated by kondoing a celebratory Indian ready meal with a single portion mini bottle of wine split between us, more in her glass than mine as I needed to drive home.

She felt bad it had got out of hand, but I said to take pride in what she has accomplished over the years, (lots of happy children and adults), and thank what had died or was no longer needed. A good day on the KM front.
    • SmlSave
    • By SmlSave 12th Mar 17, 8:52 PM
    • 4,693 Posts
    • 16,305 Thanks
    SmlSave
    I did speculate on microwaving them, I'm glad I didn't as it turned out there was a small piece of metal at the bottom of each jar that the wick was connected to. Thought I'd post on this to warn anybody thinking of microwaving candle jars.
    Originally posted by Slinky
    Pops up from lurking....... apparently as long as the metal isn't touching the sides having metal in the microwave won't cause damage. My new microwave manual says it but I've never given it a go.....lurks back down
    Boy Smllet born 23/06/2011 and Girl Smllet born 01/03/2014

5 year challenge to pay off £20,000
    £350 per month challenge
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 12th Mar 17, 9:22 PM
    • 779 Posts
    • 13,063 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Apparently this has a lot of information from a Dutch lady who lost a horse to ragwort poisoning, am I right in thinking you speak Dutch? http://www.jakobskruiskruid.com/index.php
    Originally posted by Slinky
    I do; thank you!
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 4154,12= £ 3633.77
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 13th Mar 17, 1:25 AM
    • 2,793 Posts
    • 9,876 Thanks
    Frogletina
    Friday afternoon
    Sorted out my ex-husband's paperwork

Saturday afternoon
    Sorted more of my photographs

Saturday evening
    Worked on my family tree

Sunday morning
    Sorted out my daughter's paperwork

I'd like to continue with my photographs in the morning but I've neglected my house and there is clothes washing, and dish washing to be done tomorrow and I need to kondo some dust. I'm not happy with my surroundings at the moment.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first

SPC 8 #441 £1567.31 SPC 9 #441 £1014.64
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 13th Mar 17, 6:07 AM
    • 11,771 Posts
    • 211,093 Thanks
    greenbee
    Siebrie - ragwort is a notifiable weed in the UK due to the risk to livestock (not that you'd notice by the amount on verges and in fields in the past few years), however it is the seeds that are the big risk as most animals avoid the plant. walking on the grass barefoot doesn't put you at risk. Eating the seeds will cause liver failure. To stop it setting seed you can mow it. If you want to get rid of it weed kill or pull using a rag fork.

You also need to work out where it is coming from as you need to deal with the seeds that are being blown into your garden if you want to have animals grazing.
    • Mara_uk7
    • By Mara_uk7 13th Mar 17, 8:26 AM
    • 1,201 Posts
    • 4,212 Thanks
    Mara_uk7
    Pops up from lurking....... apparently as long as the metal isn't touching the sides having metal in the microwave won't cause damage. My new microwave manual says it but I've never given it a go.....lurks back down
    Originally posted by SmlSave
    Not worth the risk, I put a plate in mine, forgetting about the teensy bit of gold coloured paint on it. sparked and banged like mad for the few secnds it took to get back to it ! Just pour very hot water in the candle jar, wax will soften and fall out, taking disc with it.
    Its just a bad day, Not a bad life ..
    • kittie
    • By kittie 13th Mar 17, 8:44 AM
    • 10,398 Posts
    • 53,500 Thanks
    kittie
    I think I will try and kondo some self sown strawberry runners. Must have been a strawberry I threw on the gravel a couple of years ago. There are half a dozen good runners up there. No harm trying in a couple of troughs I have got, already have compost here

edit, got 9 plants in three troughs and left 4 runners. All come from one discarded strawberrey, the miracle of nature

Lovely sun here, calm music, washing going out as soon as the loads are finished, knowing that it will all have a defined space later

Might do crocs later, bought several pair at one time, dislike them but handy for walking on the gravel. Hardly any wear, so in all honesty I only need one pair and a spare

Quick whip around to clean now, very quick with no clutter
    Last edited by kittie; 13-03-2017 at 9:42 AM.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 13th Mar 17, 10:06 AM
    • 619 Posts
    • 17,634 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    I'm definitely feeling the benefit of some extra tidying last week. Quick question - does anyone know if charity shops still take cassette tapes? I'm guessing they don't, but online research is inconclusive.

Why on earth I kept these in the first Kondo round have no idea. I've chucked the home recorded ones but still have twenty or so commercially recorded tapes. Mainly 80s music and I couldn't have told you what they were, so I'm not going to miss them!

I'm repurposing the vinyl case to hold reels of sewing thread.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • tibawo
    • By tibawo 13th Mar 17, 10:11 AM
    • 981 Posts
    • 8,653 Thanks
    tibawo

Might do crocs later, bought several pair at one time, dislike them but handy for walking on the gravel. Hardly any wear, so in all honesty I only need one pair and a spare

Quick whip around to clean now, very quick with no clutter
    Originally posted by kittie

I used to love wearing my crocs, or cheaper versions, so comfy. We all used to have a pair as they were so useful at caravan to slip on when going swimming. I only have one pair left now which are kept near the back door for nipping into the backyard. I don't do slippers but too cold outside without something on my feet!
    2017- No clutter to be seen : my aim 33min 37 sec a week.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 13th Mar 17, 12:17 PM
    • 4,092 Posts
    • 16,118 Thanks
    Slinky
    I have just read a Round Robin letter sent to us at Christmas. Four A4 pages..... It's news from my OH's friend, who I very occasionally bump into, so couldn't just ignore. Filled with news of relatives I don't know, places they've visited I've no great interest in........ prizes unknown children have won at school, etc etc etc Good grief, 4 A4 pages, has anybody had a longer one?

OH hasn't yet read it, so unfortunately I can't bin it just yet, but we are at least 50% there as I've read it.

OH is working away in the week and is unlikely to bump into friend anytime soon...
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 13th Mar 17, 12:22 PM
    • 3,632 Posts
    • 26,143 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    shudder hate those Christmas letters! 99% of what is written you have no interest in at all!
    "Shop" From Stash (4 skeins down!)
    OS Weight Loss 0.5/7
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,100Posts Today

7,768Users online

Martin's Twitter