Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greent
    • By greent 30th Dec 15, 11:31 AM
    • 5,605Posts
    • 56,693Thanks
    greent
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 30th Dec 15, 11:31 AM
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 30th Dec 15 at 11:31 AM
    Link to 2015: thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5146700

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Repaid mtge early (originally 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next up: BTL Mtge. Op Bal £69786. Cur Bal £68286 - 2017 target £0/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £368.68/£500 PAYDOX17 £6558/£10k Mar GC £355.16/£400 NSD 14 Decluttered 455/2017 items
Page 382
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 11th Mar 17, 4:40 PM
    • 10,733 Posts
    • 206,298 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I too have been battling couch grass in the front borders. Horrible stuff. There's also a horrid weed which my neighbour doesn't know is a weed, so she cultivates a patch in a border neighbouring ours, I'm forever digging these darned things out. They have a very vigorous root and when the ground goes hard (we're on clay), it's impossible to shift them. Today the ground was a bit on the wet side of digable but a few days of sun will see it bake like a brick, so had to crack on while we could. Also did battle with forgetmenots, again another gift from the neighbour, so OK they're quite pretty but a complete pain when they are trying to root between the blocks in the drive. That and moss, the drive needs tackling on another day.
    Originally posted by Slinky
    I feel your pain. I have actually got five plots adjoining mine, due to sub-division and slightly off-set rows across the site and have the unfortunate situation where four out of the five are neglectful gardeners. Those of them I see from time to time are perfectly pleasant people but I'd gladly swop them for surly g*ts who kept their weeds etc under control.

I must have had a fixed rictus of a smile on my face when one of them, whose plot is downwind of mine, was cooing to me about the beauty of the very large scottish thistle which was setting seeds. Which were going to blow my way, shortly after.

Seems to me that a lot of allotments could do with a good kondo-ing as it's all too tempting to haul a lot of stuff up there for Justin and then not use it and have it rot in situ.

I still occasionally find a few pieces of the green waffle rubber carpet underlay which some previous incumbant used to cover the plot and which was submerged several inches into the soil and covered with couch grass by the time I took my plot on. In some places it was 2-3 layers deep.

I would like to track that individual down and do Bad Things to them.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Slinky
    • By Slinky 11th Mar 17, 5:11 PM
    • 4,092 Posts
    • 16,118 Thanks
    Slinky
    We're visiting friends next weekend who had the same carpet/underlay issue in their back garden. Don't people do some odd things! Haven't seen them for about 18 months, when they'd just moved into their home, it'll be interesting to see how their garden is coming along. It had an enormous amount of wild garlic running riot in it too.
    • ClootiesMum
    • By ClootiesMum 11th Mar 17, 5:19 PM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 9,848 Thanks
    ClootiesMum
    I've made a start, I've made a start

Underwear was done several months ago and although drawers are still not show home perfect they are still in order and what a difference it makes.

Yesterday & today my wardrobes were emptied & dealt with.

In all fairness, only 3 bags went out but all too small clothes (hopefully only for a short time) have been corralled & hung on back to front hangers - so now I have clothes that fit available to wear

A few things need a wee bit of mending so they have been hung
    on back to front hangers in appropriate areas as well.

As I'm still off with depression, I realize I'm not being as ruthless as I should but my joy radar is a bit skew-wiff these days so a start is better than nothing. And if the basics have been done then I can work in the garden once the weather improves (we're a bit behind the south with spring).

And I feel more positive for the small step I have made. Paperwork really needs to be next - I know it's not the KM order but not being able to find things stresses me so paperwork round 1 seems a good idea.

My rationale is that if I get round 1 KM done by late autumn then I can have next winter, hopefully feeling better, to get down to the serious KM work.

Sorry to waffle but I'm so chuffed I just had to share

• kittie
    • By kittie 11th Mar 17, 5:31 PM
    • 10,398 Posts
    • 53,500 Thanks
    kittie
    Well done clooties mum another brilliant positive post on the thread. Little steps, it makes a world of difference

GQ my neighbour allotmenteer has a very weed ridden and unruly site, I dropped a quiet hint today but she wasn`t biting and now she is going on holiday for a couple of weeks. Grhhh, she also plants things that are rampant

Just ordered a small matching photo frame, will only hold two wallet sized wedding photos and that will be me done with photos, completely finished

Maybe tomorrow I will sew my dressing gown together as it is already cut out and then clean my machine. Sewing room is great really, not much left to kondo in there, I did stage one months ago

Don`t know what to do now, before bedtime. If I read then I know I`ll nod off. I would knit but my hands and shoulders are achey after the allotment. Think I`ll clean my machine now, better doing something active, 3.5 hours before I should go up to bed, got to fill the time
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 11th Mar 17, 5:50 PM
    • 10,733 Posts
    • 206,298 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Gentle hints with one allotment neighbour didn't take so after much provocation, and constantly having to prune her bramble where it grew through the fence, I flat out asked her to dig it up.

Which she did, surprisingly, but she didn't seem capable of recognising a problem unless it was pointed out to her.

Took two bags of nasty weeds to the tip today and sailed past the queueing cars on the pushbike, I was in and out and on my way before some of them had moved an inch. Times like that somewhat mitigate the general tiredness and slog of biking with heavy loads.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Floss
    • By Floss 11th Mar 17, 8:05 PM
    • 3,368 Posts
    • 24,518 Thanks
    Floss
    GQ I spent several hours removing forget-me-nots from our lottie, better time spent now taking out a few plants than removing lots of pretty blue flowering plants in a few months!
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 11th Mar 17, 8:41 PM
    • 9,619 Posts
    • 34,358 Thanks
    luxor4t
    I thought I had kondo'd the giant 1950's solid wood double wardrobe to somebody who had just moved and needed lots of storage....sadly, it is too big for them.
    I fear we will have to take it to bits and offer the wood on freecycle as it is so large won't fit in most houses and there isn't much call for unremarkable brown furniture.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 12th Mar 17, 6:48 AM
    • 10,733 Posts
    • 206,298 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I thought I had kondo'd the giant 1950's solid wood double wardrobe to somebody who had just moved and needed lots of storage....sadly, it is too big for them.
    I fear we will have to take it to bits and offer the wood on freecycle as it is so large won't fit in most houses and there isn't much call for unremarkable brown furniture.
    Originally posted by luxor4t
    Unfortunately, this is what I hear from pals in the trade; you can't even give a lot of this stuff away, it's oversized for many people's homes and, unless it's a lovely antique, the bigger bits won't sell at all.

I was astonished to see a superb Georgian mahogany chest-on-chest struggling to find a buyer at £600. Then I thought about it; taller than my own nearly 6 ft, wouldn't fit thru the front door of most homes like my 1970s building, wouldn't go through internal doorway; there are a severely-limited amount of places which could take in such a big piece. It was probably about the same size as a smart car.

Small furniture positively flies out of the dealers' rooms, tho.

Am just up and tea-ing up and then breakfasting and up to face the day. Which will include a dump run at some point; I have some very pernicious and uncompostable weeds on my plot so they go in the green waste section of the tip. I have decided to keep dock roots (the dippy woman down wind of me has let plenty set seed over the years so they germinate freely on my plot). Keeping them and drying them out on the glass window cold-frame lid and then they'll go in the burn bag. Read somewhere they bring up minerals from the subsoil so am going to try to reclaim them via bonfire ash.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• kittie
    • By kittie 12th Mar 17, 7:10 AM
    • 10,398 Posts
    • 53,500 Thanks
    kittie
    Its a shame about big solid furniture but they just don`t fit in most houses these days. We had a very expensive ercol dresser bought about 20 years ago, we were so proud that at last we could afford a good piece of furniture. Dark brown, big round table and chairs too. Cost lots of our savings but it was a kind of rebellion against all the retro second hand stuff we had for 25 years. We managed to give the table and chairs away and then had to pay £50 to have the dresser taken away. Learnt a lesson from that and any furniture bought since has been light colour modular, which would fit in any home.

I got a second wind last evening and managed to stay up until 10, cleaned my sewing machine and sorted some sewing bits. Found 5 bottles of machine oil and umpteen boxes of pins, all current pins are out and am starting afresh with new pins. Was satisfying, not bulky stuff but did find my long lost darning mushroom and I feel that I made the most of the day

Today am going to do a stage two in there but a gentle clear as most is good, might only clear by sewing
    • Floss
    • By Floss 12th Mar 17, 8:01 AM
    • 3,368 Posts
    • 24,518 Thanks
    Floss
    We're lucky in that we live in a 1930's double-bay terraced home with generously proportioned rooms, so my parents' 1950's ladies & gents wardrobes & triple-mirror dressing table look fab. I understand the dark oak Ercol situation though, from when my in-laws' dormer bungalow home was cleared last year. One dresser, one sideboard, one 8-seated table & chairs, 3 large wardrobes...all taken by house clearance
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 12th Mar 17, 8:50 AM
    • 5,446 Posts
    • 42,404 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Wish I had time at the moment to keep up with this thread - you all have such interesting things to say ! Kondoing is slow and steady here,in that I do a bit little and often and am keeping on top of stuff that tends to build up - paperwork especially - now so much easier that the bulk has gone - such freedom. I have NCT sale coming up in a few weeks so a large amount of stuff going to that - my DDS are grown up now so I ma selling all the stuff I use to keep for work and things that I have bought in the past and used for work - dont need them anymore as fed up of subsidising and storing the stuff! So I am happy to get some cash back and help a good cause.

OH is making V E R Y S L O W inroads into his clutter - he is not really getting the idea and there is no telling him.............
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat'
    • tibawo
    • By tibawo 12th Mar 17, 9:02 AM
    • 981 Posts
    • 8,653 Thanks
    tibawo
    Glad to see everyone's posts, even if you've not posted and are just lurking I hope you are chipping away too! We've had a busy week so i am just about keeping on top of the chores so little done here.

The furniture tales are interesting as i know when I have rented in the past that these pieces are sometimes left in the property and the landlord thinks they are doing you a favour by leaving them. If they suited the house then i think it enhance the image but we are talking small dark or box rooms and do nothing to make you want to rent the place.

I am also on the count down of nine more days until i am back in control of my budget. Not that all the debts will be cleared but there has been that many events, bills and emergency buying that i never thought it would end. My store cupboard has three tins left it has been that bad. It also means i can get some paint to freshen some of the walls which i am hoping lifts the mood!
    2017- No clutter to be seen : my aim 33min 37 sec a week.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 12th Mar 17, 9:25 AM
    • 2,826 Posts
    • 44,809 Thanks
    silvasava
    Went down to the boat yesterday with DS1 and kondoed a few more jobs before lift in. She's starting to look spruce now. I was musing and realised everything on board has to be essential or useful. It also needs to be stowed so it can be retrieved immediately when needed. Bit like Kondo really - now just need to get the house in the same state
    I haven't got a Lottie as we've a large garden. Some of the things I do battle with are Aquilegia (from neighbour 40 years ago!) Wild violets - my mistake.
    With you all on the large furniture - my friend wants my big dresser and console table but has no room for the dining table and chairs so they will be going to the local hospice shop.
    Grey drizzly day here so will make my to do list for next week as we've a lot on and go from there.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 12th Mar 17, 9:29 AM
    • 11,771 Posts
    • 211,093 Thanks
    greenbee
    silvasava - I will happily have your aquilegia if you want to send them up here And violets.

I'm currently starting the long slog of rescuing my garden from the building site. Although downstairs hasn't actually be started yet...
    • LizzieR
    • By LizzieR 12th Mar 17, 9:40 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 1,414 Thanks
    LizzieR
    Haha Lizzie. Its the big in your post that would have me taking them to the cs, hems are one thing but `big` no way, far too much work and you`ll never be big again, will you?
    Originally posted by kittie
    Yep, you're right Kittie, I think it's the charity shop for them as even if I took the time to alter them I don't think I'd be wearing them for long.... It'd be good for someone else to enjoy them! I certainly don't ever plan on fitting in them again, and have been ditching anything that's too big as soon as it becomes too big, but there's just something about these skirts - I guess 'cos I've held onto them for so long, and they remind me of being in my late 20's / early 30's. Though to be honest I wouldn't really want to be that age again, so I don't think I'm wishing to go back there!!

it's strange how much stuff I can happily dispatch whilst other unexpected items just seem to be a sticking point.
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 12th Mar 17, 9:54 AM
    • 9,619 Posts
    • 34,358 Thanks
    luxor4t
    I thought I had kondo'd the giant 1950's solid wood double wardrobe to somebody who had just moved and needed lots of storage....sadly, it is too big for them. .....and there isn't much call for unremarkable brown furniture.
    ..... I understand the dark oak Ercol situation though, from when my in-laws' dormer bungalow home was cleared last year. One dresser, one sideboard, one 8-seated table & chairs, 3 large wardrobes...all taken by house clearance
    Originally posted by Floss
    This rang bells with me! I had the table, dresser and 4 chairs (could not afford the full set).

I stripped and repainted my brown, dearly loved, Old Charm dresser. It is currently a Farrow and Ball cream colour and looks lovely, especially after I removed the Jacobean-style small leaded glass doors on the shelf part. I use the huge table (well covered) in my sewing room because it is sturdy and holds a lot of fabric. We are still using the chairs, but they don't look too brown...

The wardrobe is semi-dismantled: the back is plywood and I think the front is actually veneer now that I have inspected it closely - it came from the YMCA furniture shop about 6 years ago for the princely sum of £25 as DS2 liked it best from the wardrobe city along the side of the shop. They don't want it back though.....
    Last edited by luxor4t; 12-03-2017 at 3:28 PM. Reason: because I do know how to spell 'cream'...
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 12th Mar 17, 12:31 PM
    • 3,368 Posts
    • 24,518 Thanks
    Floss
    ...The wardrobe is semi-dismantled: the back is plywood and I think the front is actually veneer now that I have inspected it closely - it came from the YMCA furniture shop about 6 years ago for the princely sum of £25 as DS2 liked it best from the wardrobe city along the side of the shop. They don't want it back though.....
    How rude!
    • kittie
    • By kittie 12th Mar 17, 2:03 PM
    • 10,398 Posts
    • 53,500 Thanks
    kittie
    igamo, slow and steady does it, like the goat going up a mountain, he eventually gets to the top without running out of puff

I made a dressing gown today, finished before my panny had finished the spicy fruit loaf. More details on the sewing thread but was awesomely satisfying and calming and a big chunk of fabric is now hanging up on my bedroom door. Really chuffed

Tidy up time now and so easy after kondo, lots of chuffness today
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 12th Mar 17, 2:20 PM
    • 4,092 Posts
    • 16,118 Thanks
    Slinky
    Ahh, we have battles with aquiligia and wild violets too, from the previous owners. I also pulled out a load of verbena from the border beside the drive, it gets a bit thuggish and I know I'll get a load more self seed, so as the ground was wet I was able to pull up the ones that had seeded in the middle of my lavendar bushes.
    • GoingToDoIt
    • By GoingToDoIt 12th Mar 17, 2:34 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 2,090 Thanks
    GoingToDoIt
    Hello and gentle hugs to all who like them.
    I've been away for the weekend so nothing to report, beyond of course that everything is well at home, and I only need to do light housework and ironing before tomorrow
    Apr 16... Hfax £2551/875 Vrgin £3420/3047 MBNA 2 £2100/0 MBNA1 98/0
    Total cc 0% debt £8364/3922 updated 28 Mar 17 (halfway to debt free )
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,083Posts Today

7,919Users online

Martin's Twitter