Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greent
    • By greent 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    • 5,695Posts
    • 57,544Thanks
    greent
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 30th Dec 15 at 12:31 PM
    Link to 2015: thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5146700

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Repaid mtge early (orig end 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next up: BTL Mtge Op Bal £69786. Cur Bal £67286 - 2017 target (18) £1000/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £433.75/£500 PAYDOX17 £8983/£10k Apr GC £233.42/£500 NSD 12 Decluttered 691/2017 items
Page 381
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 9th Mar 17, 10:58 AM
    • 803 Posts
    • 13,608 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Youngest dd put her foot through her fitted sheet! Hurray! Gleefully washed and consigned to ragbag! This sheet only fitted her mattress, none of the others. One more fitted sheet to go, and if she is then also dry at night (she's five and still occasionally has accidents) we will buy a new mattress that actually fits the bedframe. The one she has now comes from my old single bed, and lacks 10cm on the side to fill the frame.
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 6032,72= £ 5046.77
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • Save Dosh
    • By Save Dosh 9th Mar 17, 11:54 AM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 12,525 Thanks
    Save Dosh
    Think I'm a good while off photos. Most of mine are rubbish, taken with a 'not too good camera'. My brother and I were both given 2nd hand cameras from my nan. We nearly wrestled each other to to ground to get the half decent one, a Brownie, much to my Nans annoyance and Mum's embarrassment. I ended up with one that you held at waist level and looked down into. As a kid I was too embarrassed to use it, as it was so old fashioned and other kids would point (probably me being a bit too over sensitive).

Just got bedding to do on the clothes front. I will try to get that done tonight, or maybe tomorrow. Note to self - get bin bags to put Kondoed stuff into, it's in a pile on the floor. What a beautiful day it is here, off to meet a friend and catch some sun.
    Last edited by Save Dosh; 09-03-2017 at 12:02 PM.
    Grocery Challenge - April - £65.88/£80, GC Overflow Pot £6.33
    Save 12k in 2017 #132 = £900/£5,000 (18%)
    KonMari: Clothes, Wardrobe, Drawers, shoes, bags, Papers
    Bedding, Books, Toiletries,Bric a Brac, Kitchen, Pantry
    • tibawo
    • By tibawo 9th Mar 17, 3:46 PM
    • 1,018 Posts
    • 8,896 Thanks
    tibawo
    So pleased that my car boot job lot has a bid on ... I presume they will collect it. It means another pile of outgrown bits, Justin's and unused bargains. The outgrown bits I am actually proud of myself for shifting as in a previous life I would hang on to everything for my own car boot but once I factor in time, Cost of stall etc and the fact it ALL goes I am happy.

I am back to random kding at the moment purely as I only have small pockets of time spare. I am starting to ponder of what I will do with all my new spare time when I am through with things.
    2017- No clutter to be seen : my aim 33min 37 sec a week.
    My ten pound weekly challenge - weeks completed 1/52 missed target 1
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 9th Mar 17, 4:49 PM
    • 10,813 Posts
    • 208,107 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Afternoon all.

The CD player from Nan's which I took in last October (my existing one being on its way out, I thought it worth keeping for Justin) has just come out of the pillowcase where it was lurking on a shelf as the other one has just karked it. Not a fuse, the CD part will only work about one attempt in ten, and as that's what I use the stereo for, it's becoming very irritating.

Sooo, one in a few months ago and one out, soon. Bygorry, I'd only had that 18 years, they just don't make things to last anymore, hey?

Other than that, norralot is going on kondo-wise but I am pootling away with the dark arts of domesticity (am about to go under the stove, egads!) and not accruing any more Stuff.

Siebrie, Mum told me gleefully about a fortnight ago that Dad had put his foot through one of their old bedsheets, so she was also pleased to wash & rag. Honourable using up of stuff feels good.

Been to library and returned two books and have only got one out, so feeling pretty virtuous by my standards.
    Last edited by GreyQueen; 09-03-2017 at 5:53 PM. Reason: spelling
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• kittie
    • By kittie 9th Mar 17, 5:26 PM
    • 10,486 Posts
    • 55,034 Thanks
    kittie
    Did a mini kondo to the cs today, just yak traks and a skirt, went in, came out quick. Now have an empty rebounder on the landing, last item, a dress, has been uplifted and was very glad that I actually did the hard work ages ago, ie raised the hem to foot level allowing for body bumps. Up another five inches this morning and so much better too.

Kondo is all about enjoying the fruits of our work too, I dressed in a skirt and knee highs today for the hairdressers and felt so good, albeit yes I still look my age but then I am my age and have no need to look like a spring chicken, well I think I look a bit younger tbh, my skin is still unlined but don`t look at my neck

Kondo benefits continued when I arrived back. Went on a normal cycle, loop the loop around the village. Got home, sun was blazing and I wanted to be out longer so got my, unused for three years, electric bike out, kondo involved cleaning a few weeks ago and prepping for use. Wow it behaved beautifully, rode away in the countryside and along an empty canal path and back up several hilly hills. Thank you MK, if that that bike had not been done then I would not have been out so long today. Huge MK benefits to be had and not just in the house
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 9th Mar 17, 8:24 PM
    • 3,249 Posts
    • 36,814 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Well, that's the sideboard gone. After months of thinking about it I had the photos taken, put the advert on and it was away within 24 hours. Feeling rather pleased with myself!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 10th Mar 17, 6:51 AM
    • 10,813 Posts
    • 208,107 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Well, that's the sideboard gone. After months of thinking about it I had the photos taken, put the advert on and it was away within 24 hours. Feeling rather pleased with myself!
    Originally posted by camelot1001
    Oh well done!

How gratifying to get rid of something so large, so quickly. Bags of Stuff and boxes of Stuff are great to shift but you can't beat de-furnituring for suddenly seeing some fresh air and space.

ETA; for my own amusement, as I was clearing out the manual and receipt for the stereo which has just (mostly) died on me from my warranties folder, I counted the weeks I'd owned it - 928 weeks - and the cost-per-week which was a measly 13p. Pretty good value for money and, apart from putting new batteries into the remote control every few years, it cost me zilch in on-costs. Pretty pleased about that, will be sad to see it go as I liked it and still find it aesthetically-pleasing.
    Last edited by GreyQueen; 10-03-2017 at 8:26 AM.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• silvasava
    • By silvasava 10th Mar 17, 9:29 AM
    • 2,884 Posts
    • 45,867 Thanks
    silvasava
    Looks like we're all on a roll at the moment. Got in last night from my yoga session & DH said not to use the grill on my cooker as it was overheating and the deflector thing is breaking down. I've only had another cooker in the garage for 3 years so now it will be fitted at long last. My old one has given faithful service for the last 23 years and is looking its age as all the enamel has broken down - I'm so happy!!!!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • kittie
    • By kittie 10th Mar 17, 11:20 AM
    • 10,486 Posts
    • 55,034 Thanks
    kittie
    yey, wd camelot, that is one nice extra space

I wasn`t going to do any MK today but realised that my small breadbin was in a cupboard and containg a 1/4 of a lovingly crafted hm sourdough, put in over a week ago and yes, gone mouldy. I want that nice breadbin out and had to do that MK thing, holding and deciding and my very old masticating cranks era juicer, taking a large space on my worktop, has now gone, together with all the added bits. Heavy and with a long ugly nose and used far too infrequently these last two years because of the cleaning rigmarole. I am replacing it but with a modern and much smaller easy clean, vertical masticating juicer. Look I am facing facts, I used to grow barley grass for juicing and cannot be without the facility, I juice lettuce, cucumber, celery,kale, broccoli and so on but the cleaning was overcoming my juicing desires. I did the research and have ordered one and anyway much cheaper than a modern mobile phone, which I do not have

silvasaver, your happiness is infectious
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 10th Mar 17, 3:33 PM
    • 4,143 Posts
    • 16,680 Thanks
    Slinky
    What's the wierdest thing you've ever contemplated keeping for Justin?

We recently missed out on buying a house which had a stairlift in it. Seeing that we could possibly need one one day, and they are expensive to buy and almost impossible to sell for decent money as they are made to measure, we vaguely contemplated keeping it in the garage in case we ever needed to have one installed.

I don't think we would have kept it in the end, and we didn't get the house anyway, but Justin nearly had a stairlift.

What have you contemplated keeping?
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 10th Mar 17, 8:13 PM
    • 1,072 Posts
    • 7,200 Thanks
    kboss2010
    What's the wierdest thing you've ever contemplated keeping for Justin?

We recently missed out on buying a house which had a stairlift in it. Seeing that we could possibly need one one day, and they are expensive to buy and almost impossible to sell for decent money as they are made to measure, we vaguely contemplated keeping it in the garage in case we ever needed to have one installed.

I don't think we would have kept it in the end, and we didn't get the house anyway, but Justin nearly had a stairlift.

What have you contemplated keeping?
    Originally posted by Slinky
    Everything from offcuts of butchers block kitchen worktop for chopping boards to childhood board games.

I'm trying to stop hoarding things as I think my hoarding is/was a symptom of poor mental health. So I'm being successively more brutal with each kondo round I do, trying to use up my stockpiles and only replace things that have run out. I'm getting there slowly but there is still probably a lot of stuff I could turf out.
    "I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum
    'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. Tapping

I'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there
    ~ Lifehouse
    • iamsalt
    • By iamsalt 11th Mar 17, 7:24 AM
    • 215 Posts
    • 4,247 Thanks
    iamsalt
    Kboss - I am definitely seeing an improvement in my mums mental health as she throws off the shackles of hoarding. It's still tiny steps, but it's been remarkable how much less oppressed she and the house seem with each day. We have a long way to go still and I hope we can crack through much more before she needs to move, but it needs to be done and led by her and we are going at the pace she wants. It has also been a relief to me as I know moving her will be less stressful when the time comes.
    X
    2017 the year of learning new skills and mortgage reduction.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 11th Mar 17, 7:54 AM
    • 10,813 Posts
    • 208,107 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I can vaguely recall inner converstions in which I've talked myself out of keeping completely random things which could, in theory, be used if X, Y or Z happened. But the probabilites of X,Y or Z are vanishingly small.

One example was a half-dead stereo which I could keep as a decoy stereo in case I ever had bailiffs come to seixe my goods for any unpaid debt.. I am not currently, nor have I ever been, in any debt whatsoever........ nuts, isn't it? Where do these thoughts come from, I consider myself a sane and sensible person, as do onlookers.

I have a couple of things on freegle which haven't presently got any takers. Have decided that they will be going to the electronic section of the tip at the end of the month if no one asks for them. One was asked for and the person was a no-show, which is annoying. I feel people like that bring the whole freegle/ freecycle thing into disrepute.

Later this morning, I will be heading off the the junk shop to bully/ encourage my pal with his decluttering. He's a terrible hoarder and has had this shop for 45 years. The quality of the Stuff there can be anything from marble portrait heads to old fluroescent tubes, and there are whole ecologies living in the cobwebs in the storage areas - and probably a lost clan of film-makers doing a wildlife documentary. Nothing much would surprise me.

I mean, I found a sink in one of the rooms. Attached to the wall (no plumbing, mind) which had long been buried under the carp. In places, the ceilings have started to fall down on the clutter, which is...... interesting, shall we say.

Apart from the shop floor, there are three small upstairs rooms and the back room/ kitchenette and a cellar. I think the cellar is older than the building on top of it, a phenomenon not uncommon in parts of this city.

It's a fascinating place for a kondo-ist/ nosey parker.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• greenbee
    • By greenbee 11th Mar 17, 8:47 AM
    • 11,852 Posts
    • 212,028 Thanks
    greenbee
    Maybe you should just move in GQ and excavate from within?

It sounds like you're doing a fantastic job for your friend - I'm sure it's appreciated. And I hope that he is either paying you or planning on giving you a very generous Christmas present! It sounds as if you are more than earning your keep in tea...
    • oceanspirit
    • By oceanspirit 11th Mar 17, 9:22 AM
    • 444 Posts
    • 7,447 Thanks
    oceanspirit
    Cleared more off the reading pile this morning. Lots of little jobs to do today including going through everything on desk as after a busy few weeks it's very messy again and am not sure what's on there.

Need to pace the energy today as another busy week coming up.
    March GC £78.74/£90
    2017 GC £224.18/£180
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 11th Mar 17, 3:36 PM
    • 4,143 Posts
    • 16,680 Thanks
    Slinky
    Kondo'd a load of weeds from the garden, and OH cut the grass for the first time this year. We had a terrible weed problem in one bed last year, with some very leggy hebes which we dug out last year. I've had a good go through, we need to get some weedproof membrane down and replant the bed.

I planted a lilac tree a couple of years ago, just wanted an old fashioned lilac coloured lilac. Got it as a bare rooted stick from somebody on ebay, it's grown a fair bit, I'm hoping we may get some flowers this year for the first time. Had a good look at it, can't tell whether the shoots will be flower shoots or just leaves yet. Here's hoping.

I'm aching in all sorts of places I'd forgotten I'd got, it's hard work kneeling and weeding. However I've made good use of a piece of leftover underlay as a knee pad.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 11th Mar 17, 4:19 PM
    • 639 Posts
    • 16,023 Thanks
    MMF007
    Agghhhhh, I want to kondo my latest artistic endeavour! I spent 5 hours at an art class today but it was too advanced (I am an absolute beginner) and i have bought home a very bad, very unfinished picture. I *think* I will try and get it nearer to finished but at the moment it is so unjoyful I want to bin it
    I know things can be changed with just a few strokes of the paint brush, if you know what you are doing! But I don't!!

I suppose I can paint over most of it and start again, making it far more simple than the picture we were supposed to use as a reference. Doh.

Rant over!

I need to relax for a little while and then I shall start packing for a week at my parent's . Inevitably this will lead to a mini clothes kondo because i am getting more ruthless with practice

I also need to write a 'to do ' list because I have lots to fit in next week and I find it really helps get it all in perspective (pardon the art-y pun) if i can see everythjng written down, in a sensible order. Then i will see that it is achievable and will stop flapping
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 11th Mar 17, 4:45 PM
    • 10,813 Posts
    • 208,107 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I've been gardening, too, slinky. Or rather, allotmenteering.

Have been digging out a gone-over strawberry bed which was maintaining a ratio of 90:10 couch grass to strawbs. Have also removed 7 soil-dwelling caterpillars (cut-worms) which I placed on the bird table and which my feathered fiends helped themselves to in a trice.

Found the last bit - I hope it's the last bit - of the weed-surpressing membrane I used under the home-made greenhouse which stood at the top corner of the plot for the first 2-3 years. Before I cottoned-onto that the fact that structures near the crest of a hill in the full force of the prevailing wind need to be built like tanks; Doris took down my lottie neighbour's proper glass and aluminium greenhouse as well as temporarily gifting me with a plastic wendy house.

Weed supressing membrane doesn't work on allotments, I've found. Or at least not on allotments with a substrate of nettles, brambles, horsetails and couch grass. Mind you, I've seen couch grass grow through panel doors and even potatoes underground, leaving them like beads on a string.

It's rotten stuff but I do have a sneaky admiration for its sheer tenacity.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Slinky
    • By Slinky 11th Mar 17, 4:58 PM
    • 4,143 Posts
    • 16,680 Thanks
    Slinky
    I too have been battling couch grass in the front borders. Horrible stuff. There's also a horrid weed which my neighbour doesn't know is a weed, so she cultivates a patch in a border neighbouring ours, I'm forever digging these darned things out. They have a very vigorous root and when the ground goes hard (we're on clay), it's impossible to shift them. Today the ground was a bit on the wet side of digable but a few days of sun will see it bake like a brick, so had to crack on while we could. Also did battle with forgetmenots, again another gift from the neighbour, so OK they're quite pretty but a complete pain when they are trying to root between the blocks in the drive. That and moss, the drive needs tackling on another day.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 11th Mar 17, 5:09 PM
    • 10,486 Posts
    • 55,034 Thanks
    kittie

I'm aching in all sorts of places I'd forgotten I'd got, it's hard work kneeling and weeding. However I've made good use of a piece of leftover underlay as a knee pad.
    Originally posted by Slinky
    tell me about it, this time of year and suddenly work outside beckons. I`ve spent 7 1/2 hours working hard the last two days, on my alotment, using an azada, which I sharpened before I started. Just had to remember to keep my legs out of the way. Did help though and chewed through the solid weedy winter crust. I am going to need a complete break from work tomorrow. Kneeling did the toes on my left foot no good at all, didn`t feel it until I got home. I even turned down an invite to the village film tonight, too shattered to sit 90 minutes on a hard seat. Did kondo some fine enviromesh into a carrot cage via my sewing machine and some canes

So busy that I didn`t feel like making a proper meal, bits n pieces eaten, albeit good food but feel full rather than comfy. Seems to me that autumn/winter is the best time to splurge on kondo`ing, to give it more concentrated focus
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

603Posts Today

5,830Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just seen @IvoGraham doing stand up in a comedy club. Superb, witty, self depricating, clever stuff. Go see him if you get the chance

• RT @ChrissyNunn: New one from @Tesco today.. "The sale of Goods Act is just legislation, it's like a guideline, it's not law" @MartinSLewis?

• Off to Torremolinos? I'm filming my roadshow there next Fri 28th during the day then in Branigans at 5pm. Want to come? Let @itvmlshow know

• Follow Martin