Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greent
    • By greent 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    • 5,192Posts
    • 52,289Thanks
    greent
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 30th Dec 15 at 12:31 PM
    Link to 2015: thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5146700

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Repaid mortgage early (originally 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Now repaying BTL Mtge. Opening Bal £69786. Current Bal £68286
    Net sales in 2016 £772.06/£500
    Dec grocery spends £0/ £480 NSDs 2/12
Page 279
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 18th Oct 16, 8:53 PM
    • 3,809 Posts
    • 13,804 Thanks
    Slinky
    Mavvy so sorry to hear about your dog
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 18th Oct 16, 9:42 PM
    • 617 Posts
    • 10,230 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Mavvy, I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your companion.

My Auntie died this morning in her sleep; she suffered from Alzheimer's and had been living in a home for the last year, unable to recognise her dh, children, and sisters. Happy enough, and well cared for by the staff, but in her own little world. She refused to eat for the last two months, and even though the staff put astronaut food in her drinks, she lost weight fast and gradually slipped away. She was much-loved, and I think the church will be packed this Sarurday. We will all go, my parents, dds and I, in my car, four-hour drive. Dds are 5 and 8 and have never been to a funeral; they did not know Auntie well, and I think this will be a good moment to teach them about loss, relief, rituals (help of -), family, and to recognise the feelings that come with mourning. Auntie was 83, my other Aunt is 86, my Mum is 80; my girls will have to deal with grief much closer to their heart in the next few years.
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.110,70 = £ 2,743.95 (it fluctuates with the exchange rate; I won't update it if it's going down ).
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 19th Oct 16, 5:36 AM
    • 10,324 Posts
    • 198,045 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    (((((((((siebrie))))))) I am sorry to hear of the passing of your aunt. Please accept my heartfelt condolences, for you and the wider family.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• mavvymoo
    • By mavvymoo 19th Oct 16, 7:38 AM
    • 2,142 Posts
    • 31,682 Thanks
    mavvymoo
    Siebrie I am so sorry to hear of your Aunts passing condolences to all of you.

Its a horrible day here cold wet and windy and miserable. Seems to fit well with this thread at the moment

Lets hope the sun shines for all of us soon x

Onwards and upwards folks

Mav x

Debt free and Mortgage free thank you to all for your encouragement and advice

Crazy Clothes challenge over by miles /£500 and 25 whole weeks with no spending 11/25

• Floss
    • By Floss 19th Oct 16, 7:43 AM
    • 3,094 Posts
    • 21,084 Thanks
    Floss
    Siebrie I'm sorry for your loss. I hope you all have a safe journey on Saturday.

Floss xx
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 19th Oct 16, 7:45 AM
    • 14,849 Posts
    • 189,665 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Morning all
    Siebrie my deepest condolences to you and your family on the passing of your aunt
    grocery challenge November budget £400 spent £231.76
    SPC~10 No100 : : X2
    read your books challenge-currently on It started with a kiss
    xstitch challenge 63 'mittens' lyric cushion
    16 in 2016 challenge 12/16 stockings
    2016 wooligan stuff - 86 assorted hats, 9,beadbags 10,hedgehogs
    • Tea Lady
    • By Tea Lady 19th Oct 16, 7:56 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 830 Thanks
    Tea Lady
    Hi everyone
    So many people seem to be experiencing difficult times at the moment.
    Hope everyone is as well as they can be.
    mavvymoo
    So sorry about the loss of your furry best friend, they leave such a huge hole in our lives when they have to leave us, virtual hugs on the way to you.
    Sorry to hear things are so tough for you in other areas. Happened to OH and me.
    We moved away at the right time, they had to get on with it on their own. And failed big time.
    Still end up in a court case. Which we won easily as we had all the paperwork to back it up.
    Could be interesting now we are moving back home. But I no longer care what other people think or do.
    Siebrie I!am sorry to hear of the passing of your aunt. Condolences, to you and your family.
    Love to all
    Tealady
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 19th Oct 16, 7:57 AM
    • 10,324 Posts
    • 198,045 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Morning all.

Rainy and grey here, too, but appropriate weather for the time of year. One thing I like about grey days in autumn is that leaves changing colour can still glow luminously against the greyness, lifting the spirits. There is a street tree near me which is very beautiful with yellow leaves and it seems like a stationary sunbeam even on grey sunless days. I look forward to seeing it perform this phenomenon every autumn.

All seasons, and all weather conditions, have their own beauties, if you can get past the ughh! feeling of being rained upon.

Yesterday the folks were at Nan's bungalow and work is ongoing to take things out. Dad raked out the bonfire ashes and removed things like hinges and nails from the things which were burned. I took the biggest bits out with a lawn rake whilst the fire was still ongoing, but this stage had to wait for the ashes to cool. Metal bits are being gathered into a damaged metal bucket which will itself go into the skip which is due on Friday. Hopefully they will be recycled.

The kitchen cupboards are empty now and most of the things from the pantry have been gifted/ re-homed or junked. There were some very knackered saucepans, superceded by better pans and unused for a long time, which were still on the premises. These weren't even of fit condition for chazzer or jumble sale, so have gone into metal recycling at the tip.

Today, the folks are having a well-earned day off, and are doing their usual Wednesday run into the market town. They will be taking some bags and boxes of donations to the chazzers there, as we have to thin out the things removed temporarily to their home, which is smallish and very overcrowded anyway.

I'll be working today and then returning a library book and buying another coach ticket for the weekend (Nat Exp has been doing unusually well out of me this month, do look for their share price spiking. )
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• MMF007
    • By MMF007 19th Oct 16, 8:29 AM
    • 511 Posts
    • 12,687 Thanks
    MMF007
    Sorry for your loss Siebrie. I had a vey elderly great auntie who lived a happy life but was poorly for a few months, aged 96!, and actually said she had had enough of this world and it was time to go. A week later she was admitted to hospital and she did indeed pass away. It was just her time to go and she was content with that.

Today I am going to try and kondo my friend's car. She wants to sell it but doesn't want to advertise it to the public. I have got prices from a well known online buying firm, a local dealership (car is only 2.5 y.o. so will sell well on main dealer forecourt) and am today entertaining a friend of a friend who buys n sells cars. Best offer gets it. I can usualy haggle reasonably well but not sure I am a match for a real pro car dealer!!

Agree with GQ, it's such a beautiful season, let's hope we all get to see something joyous today.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • mavvymoo
    • By mavvymoo 19th Oct 16, 8:31 AM
    • 2,142 Posts
    • 31,682 Thanks
    mavvymoo
    On the National Express there's a jolly hostess
    Selling crisps and tea
    She'll provide you with drinks and theatrical winks
    For a sky-high fee
    Mini-skirts were in style when she danced down the aisle
    Back in '63 (yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah)
    But it's hard to get by when your ar*e is the size
    Of a small country
    And everybody sings 'ba ba ba da'
    We're going where the air is free
    Tomorrow belongs to me

I always think of this when I hear someone is travelling with them.
    Now it will be in your heads for the rest of the day

Mav x

Debt free and Mortgage free thank you to all for your encouragement and advice

Crazy Clothes challenge over by miles /£500 and 25 whole weeks with no spending 11/25

• Floss
    • By Floss 19th Oct 16, 9:03 AM
    • 3,094 Posts
    • 21,084 Thanks
    Floss
    Mavy it was already in mine, but you've reinforced the earworm!
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 19th Oct 16, 9:35 AM
    • 2,606 Posts
    • 40,641 Thanks
    silvasava
    Haha - I love Divine Comedy - their lyrics are always so witty. Don't mind that for an earworm!
    Sebrie - condolences to you and your family. I think you are being very wise to include your daughter's at this stage.
    DGDcoming today to kondo my grey roots and she will probably kondo some hot cross buns from the freezer - her favourite. I'll also be likely to kondo her eyebrows for her too - does that count as a win win?
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 19th Oct 16, 9:36 AM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 12,716 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    Siebrie what a lovely post about your dear aunt. I'm also someone that thinks the young should be included in the family process of mourning loved ones. There is safety and comfort in joint grief with the older family members showing the young the grieving process. You may think I'm strange but there is something quite beautiful and precious about it that lets everyone know they are a special part of a larger picture...the family.
    Nov $69/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th Oct 16, 10:03 AM
    • 26,541 Posts
    • 140,119 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Siebre, I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt. I hope your journey this weekend goes well, and your DDs can experience the funeral safely with you.

Save
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.
    Currently: 86.53/25,000
    Save
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th Oct 16, 10:12 AM
    • 26,541 Posts
    • 140,119 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I'm grinning at the thought of you hurling spears of cherry laurel over the broken gate like some madcap Boudicca. Certainly sounds like you have a job on there.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    It is, it is - but now I've been renamed Boudicca, I'm even happier to do it

Where I've had to burn branch wood, or rain-sodden and rotten timbers, ....
    That advice is pure gold, thank you

Hell, wish I was a free agent not tied to a job or I'd offer to come and help - will garden for food.
    I wish you were a free agent too

Whilst I've been away, have had a long chat with the folks about progress at the bungalow and also been over to a pal's for an hour or so. We had a good old natter plus I was able to declutter a birthday present and card, so that counts as kondo-ing, right?
    Yes it does, it must do

Kondoing branches. That's it!

Save
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.
    Currently: 86.53/25,000
    Save
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 19th Oct 16, 10:32 AM
    • 3,809 Posts
    • 13,804 Thanks
    Slinky
    Sorry to hear about your Aunt Siebrie.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 19th Oct 16, 2:20 PM
    • 538 Posts
    • 15,929 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Sorry to hear about your aunt, Siebrie.

Does anyone else get 'stuck' because of other people's well-meaning but not fulfilled offers? By way of example, I had a leak in May due to a blocked gutter. A neighbour, a friend and another friend's husband all said they could clear it 'when my son-in-law comes over/when I can get a ladder/when I get a free weekend'. Money is tight and it wasn't a big job so I waited ... and waited ... after torrential rain on Saturday, I rang a local firm and within 2 hours it was fixed. One phone call and £85 (ouch) but it had to be done, as the water has damaged the wallpaper and I couldn't go into winter with it. I've had similar offers to help with a big garden task, remove a piece of furniture, and other things which just aren't happening.

When someone's offered a favour, you can't nag them to do it. I'm thinking its time to face up to some of these things and either save up to Get A Man In or do it myself. I'd like to Kondo a few of these jobs before winter.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 19th Oct 16, 2:49 PM
    • 617 Posts
    • 10,230 Thanks
    Siebrie
    When someone's offered a favour, you can't nag them to do it. I'm thinking its time to face up to some of these things and either save up to Get A Man In or do it myself. I'd like to Kondo a few of these jobs before winter.
    Originally posted by PollyWollyDoodle
    I disagree; maybe you shouldn't nag, but I would certainly call them and agree on a date. Very politely don't accept no for an answer, flatter them into doing the job for you.
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.110,70 = £ 2,743.95 (it fluctuates with the exchange rate; I won't update it if it's going down ).
    • Floss
    • By Floss 19th Oct 16, 2:50 PM
    • 3,094 Posts
    • 21,084 Thanks
    Floss
    Polly perhaps those who offered could be chivied with "do you remember when I was talking about wanting to get xxx sorted before the end of the month and you very kindly offered to help? Could we plan the date now, as I've got a few things on over the next few weeks?"
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 19th Oct 16, 2:51 PM
    • 3,019 Posts
    • 33,452 Thanks
    camelot1001
    On the National Express there's a jolly hostess
    Selling crisps and tea
    She'll provide you with drinks and theatrical winks
    For a sky-high fee
    Mini-skirts were in style when she danced down the aisle
    Back in '63 (yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah)
    But it's hard to get by when your ar*e is the size
    Of a small country
    And everybody sings 'ba ba ba da'
    We're going where the air is free
    Tomorrow belongs to me

I always think of this when I hear someone is travelling with them.
    Now it will be in your heads for the rest of the day

Mav x
    Originally posted by mavvymoo
    Brilliant! I too think of this when I hear someone has travelled on a coach.

I've decided to join you, I am constantly clearing out, just finished sifting through all the paperwork files - not sure why I would need correspondence from a house that was sold in 1987!

Love hearing how you all get on.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,214Posts Today

5,643Users online

Martin's Twitter