Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greent
    • By greent 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    • 5,196Posts
    • 52,336Thanks
    greent
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 30th Dec 15 at 12:31 PM
    Link to 2015: thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5146700

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Repaid mortgage early (originally 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Now repaying BTL Mtge. Opening Bal £69786. Current Bal £68286
    Net sales in 2016 £778.60/£500
    Dec grocery spends £0/ £480 NSDs 4/12
Page 276
    • maryb
    • By maryb 15th Oct 16, 8:09 PM
    • 3,010 Posts
    • 35,192 Thanks
    maryb
    snap!
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 15th Oct 16, 8:13 PM
    • 10,331 Posts
    • 198,159 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I always thought the US equivalent of a skip was a dumpster?
    Originally posted by Slinky
    I've always understood Dumpster to be a brand name for big, lidded commercial refuse containers, not quite analagous with our skips.

I used to follow a blog called hoardingwoesandyou (highly commended) and he was having drop boxes delivered. They were huge, with ends which opened like double-doors, so you could just walk things in. Of course, skips come with a drop-front option, too. We're looking at a 6-yarder, I reckon, and they come with drop-front options.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• GreenBitterfly
    • By GreenBitterfly 15th Oct 16, 8:19 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    GreenBitterfly
    I'm thinking of kondo'ing my CD collection, well at least the ones I rarely listen to, there's only a few ones I've any sentimental attachment to, and only a few I listen to, and that's via my tablet or iPod. As my stereo was taken down when my bedroom was being decorated a couple of years ago, and has never been put back together, so everything is on a portable device now.
    • Fen1
    • By Fen1 15th Oct 16, 9:00 PM
    • 1,219 Posts
    • 2,608 Thanks
    Fen1
    GQ, have you checked the skirting boards and floorboards for woodworm? Given the level of infestation I would be worried about them having spread into the fabric of the building.
    The next tenant would not be happy about inheriting voracious worms.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 15th Oct 16, 9:04 PM
    • 11,538 Posts
    • 208,238 Thanks
    greenbee
    I guess that's the landlord's problem.

Although I've never had issues with wormy furniture resulting in wormy skirting or floorboards. The sledge didn't fare so well...
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 15th Oct 16, 9:15 PM
    • 516 Posts
    • 12,757 Thanks
    MMF007
    Kondo'd my old notebook, minus pages, into a fab cover for my kindle. The notebook, being a premium brand 'Paperblanks' one, has a little wallet for tickets or momentos in the back. That is perfect to slip kindle into, then I just folded the cover together and flipped its elastic closure back over and Hey Presto! I soooo love the cover design, I didn't want to get rid but as the notepad itself was done with I had put it in recycling. A quick rescue to make a joyful and really useful item

Have quietly mentioned the videos again, suggesting that we (for 'we', read DH) sort through them and keep only a select few. I also mentioned a much better use for 'their cupboard', hoping that will help the thought process

DH was happy that when he asked where a particular diy tool was I could go straight to it. I must admit, things are really gelling now. I did start the KM journey last year and have done categories as and when, then repeated some as I got better at it! It is still a work in progress but a turning point has definitely been reached
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • greent
    • By greent 15th Oct 16, 10:28 PM
    • 5,196 Posts
    • 52,336 Thanks
    greent
    8 boxes and 2 bags of items + 1 cosy coupe car taken to NNS last night. 3 boxes of unsold items came back home today - have sorted about half a box of those to go to CS next week and a couple of items have gone into fleabay pile, Rest of unsold items have been boxed back into loft for next NNS. Lots of things gone and nice amount of £££ received in exchange - have given the money to the children for their toys and books which sold and I have the money for clothes and equipment.

Eldest is home from uni for the weekend. Will be taking some of the toiletry stash back with them, along with some of the many Xmas cards we have and some Halloween decs. They are not planning on coming back now until Xmas hols so it makes sense to take some stuff back when they'll have transport (OH will take them back tomorrow) and saves them buying stuff. I think they may also be taking some food and a couple of bottles from the alcohol stash too.....
    Repaid mortgage early (originally 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    • tibawo
    • By tibawo 16th Oct 16, 10:52 AM
    • 902 Posts
    • 7,426 Thanks
    tibawo
    So much has gone on in peoples lives since I last had chance to post. I apologise but I am terrible at remembering who said what, where and when but i do know I owe a few people 'well done on your efforts' and also warm squidgy hugs full of love and sympathy to others. However, i must not forgot the people who. like me, have lost their mojo because of real life getting in the way... c'mon, up and at it guys and girls!

I am now on my fourth lot of washing this weekend and as there is no bedding in there I am starting to believe that i am washing clean clothes as well! It looks like a trip to the launderette is also now on todays to do list as the weather is miserable here and i hate it hanging around.

My dilemma today is that dd1 room is a HUGE MASSIVE mess. This partly because she has no drawers just things piled on the floor. We are supposed to be re doing it but work thinned out and we have had to put a halt to it for the time being. It is unlikely that it will even be done till after Christmas. I am tempted to buy her some of those plastic drawers in the mean time. I did see some proper drawers that would temporarily do the job in a charity shop but they were more expensive and not my cup of tea. In my head i could use the plastic ones under the stairs afterwards. decisions, decisions!

Ages ago i started my 'work in progress' tubs on my pine shelves. If i glance over it is actually time to attack another cupboard as two of the tubs are actually full of bits to go on the caravan holiday. as the holiday approaches i try to buy an extra tin/treat to take with us so that have less to get later!

Right, time to get on with it all!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Oct 16, 10:57 AM
    • 26,543 Posts
    • 140,127 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Kondo'd my old notebook, minus pages, into a fab cover for my kindle. The notebook, being a premium brand 'Paperblanks' one, has a little wallet for tickets or momentos in the back. That is perfect to slip kindle into, then I just folded the cover together and flipped its elastic closure back over and Hey Presto! I soooo love the cover design, I didn't want to get rid but as the notepad itself was done with I had put it in recycling. A quick rescue to make a joyful and really useful item
    Originally posted by MMF007
    I love what you've done with that

I must admit, things are really gelling now. I did start the KM journey last year and have done categories as and when, then repeated some as I got better at it! It is still a work in progress but a turning point has definitely been reached
    Repeating the categories seems really important to me - our judgement changes/refines, and new possibilities open up

My fabric stash with knitting and sewing accessories oh my word! I've spent a couple of days doing it, and only then discovered that I have *two* stashes of knitting needles, the first one was lost because I just put them anywhere that was safe while I moved, and I never found them again before I wanted to start knitting and it just went on and on like that. Especially needles. And magnets, for some reason. Better now
    Save
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.
    Currently: 86.53/25,000
    Save
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 16th Oct 16, 1:06 PM
    • 516 Posts
    • 12,757 Thanks
    MMF007
    - our judgement changes/refines, and new possibilities open up!

Karmacat that sums it up brilliantly. Yes, yes, yes! New possibilities come to mind with the KM magic

Have just Kondo'd the old wallpaper from the untiled bit of the bathroom walls. DH is working so I am free to get up to all sorts without 'supervision'! It's a small room with plain, very light cream tiles on one wall and either end of the bath, to full height. The rest of the room is half tiled in the same. A mosaic-style tile border runs round it all, in cream, beige and darker brown tesserae. I have some textured paper to go on the untiled top half. It is dark bronze/brown with no pattern as such. I have had dark paper in there before and it is very effective.
    The room, although small, is south facing, so I assume that's why it can take a dark colour?!

So now I have to do a small amount of tiling, where an old waterheater has been removed, and after that is fit to grout I shall paper. I'll get tiling done by Thursday then I have a couple of days to fit papering in due to work reshuffle. And then....... I can hang the decorative wall hanging we bought on holiday a mere 9 months ago. Yep, have been too busy to sort out the decorating til now but it will be a definite makeover with this final flourish!

ETA - Tibawoo, sorry you sound like you are up against it atm. Re the necessary drawers - I suspect the ones in CS are larger than the plastic ones, or you may find some that are. DD or someone willing could easily sand down old COD and paint them as desired. They will be better value, stronger, and more roomy than plastic set if she can see the potential (no idea how old she is so I may be making work for you, or a grandparent?!)
    Last edited by MMF007; 16-10-2016 at 1:14 PM.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 16th Oct 16, 3:19 PM
    • 3,816 Posts
    • 13,850 Thanks
    Slinky
    Have just been to the loft with OH. Finally stowed away the suitcases from our holiday 3 weeks ago, and returned the seat pads for the garden furniture to the loft. Don't think we'll be needing them again this year.

Whilst up there we have located the wallpaper pasting table, last used about 13 years ago, we're entirely painted walls at the moment. Wallpaper was acquired on Thursday and Friday to do the lounge and hall, although when we'll get to it is another matter......

We have identified wallpaper for 2 of the bedrooms also, need to buy it even if not hanging just yet in case they stop making it. We went in the B&Q near OH's mum's last weekend and both the ones I bought last week were marked up as going to be discontinued, so we have got them while we still can. I had to order one online as they didn't have more than 2 with the same batch number in the shop.

The other ones we want are from Homebase, trip for another day.

Also brought down some tiles from the loft. Have got a tiler coming tomorrow to remove patterned tiles from the bathroom and replace with plain. Fortunately when we bought the tiles, we over-ordered. The patterned ones look quite dated now, even though they've only been up 10 years. The plain ones are very pale grey, so does that make them on-trend now?!! Anyway, they will be more neutral for a buyer when we eventually put the house of for sale. The suite is white.
    • loocyloo
    • By loocyloo 16th Oct 16, 3:45 PM
    • 201 Posts
    • 998 Thanks
    loocyloo
    [QUOTE=greent;71459741]8 boxes and 2 bags of items + 1 cosy coupe car taken to NNS last night. 3 boxes of unsold items came back home today - have sorted about half a box of those to go to CS next week and a couple of items have gone into fleabay pile, Rest of unsold items have been boxed back into loft for next NNS. Lots of things gone and nice amount of £££ received in exchange - have given the money to the children for their toys and books which sold and I have the money for clothes and equipment.

QUOTE]

WELL DONE Xx

I used to love selling ( and buying! ) at NNS, always got good bargains, and it was great to see your things going to people who wanted them. plus you could always explain how something worked, or how you used it.

Sadly, when I moved 5 yrs ago, it was to a rural area, and the closest NNS is about an hours drive away. I did pop along to have a look ( 5 yrs ago ) and didn't find any JOY or any inclination to use it to sell my bits and pieces on.
    • Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 16th Oct 16, 5:44 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 795 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    Please can someone tell me what NNS is as I have never heard of it. Thank you.
    • Icey77
    • By Icey77 16th Oct 16, 7:50 PM
    • 1,197 Posts
    • 4,146 Thanks
    Icey77
    Please can someone tell me what NNS is as I have never heard of it. Thank you.
    Originally posted by Sayschezza
    It's an NCT Nearly New Sale, I brought home £120 ish last week for my stuff
    Whether you think you can or you can’t, you’re probably right ~ Henry Ford

Got Married ~ 19th March 2011

DD Born 16th March 2012 DS Born 3rd May 2014
    • Icey77
    • By Icey77 16th Oct 16, 7:53 PM
    • 1,197 Posts
    • 4,146 Thanks
    Icey77
    Well, my safety gates have sold and I have £30 in my pocket
    I'm now eyeing up some other bits and pieces
    Whether you think you can or you can’t, you’re probably right ~ Henry Ford

Got Married ~ 19th March 2011

DD Born 16th March 2012 DS Born 3rd May 2014
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 16th Oct 16, 9:01 PM
    • 14,867 Posts
    • 189,855 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Evening everyone.
    Hugs to all that need them, sorry to hear things have been difficult Mavvy, I hope that whatever it is gets sorted for you and things become easier.

After the game of bed Tetris on Friday I gave ds1s room a good tidy I've only thrown a bagfull of old paper and boxes away into recycling -shredding what needed to be. The room has been moved round, windows given a good clean and the door given another coat of gloss we've just picked him up from the station after his weekend away -he is really pleased with the new layout and said it feels so much bigger and more spacious.
    Will over the sofa/bunk to a work friend and the two mattresses (one double and one single can go to the tip this week, along with a ratty king sized duvet couple of pillows, a broken clock, broken candle holder and plastic tv stand. Feels like a worthwhile weekend.
    grocery challenge November budget £400 spent £231.76
    SPC~10 No100 : : X2
    read your books challenge-currently on It started with a kiss
    xstitch challenge 63 'mittens' lyric cushion
    16 in 2016 challenge 12/16 stockings
    2016 wooligan stuff - 86 assorted hats, 9,beadbags 10,hedgehogs
    • greent
    • By greent 16th Oct 16, 9:20 PM
    • 5,196 Posts
    • 52,336 Thanks
    greent
    The NNS I do isn't NCT but is run by another charity (local based) Normally the Oct sale is much busier than it was yesterday, but I am still pleased with the results

Eldest has not long left to go back to uni (that's it now until the Xmas break) - took some of the alcohol, toiletries and food stash with her - and some of the Xmas cards we have (easily enough for this year and next year in general cards, if not the year after that!)

I shall drop my box of bits off to the CS tomorrow - incudes some Xmas items, so I want to get them in early I also have a parcel to post as another items sold on fleabay today

This week's projects here are redoing (just touching up in the main and a deep clean) daughter's bathroom whilst she is away, preparing the caravan for overwintering (good clean and tidy of it and items to be stored in it, such as the awnings and the water bottles and removal of other items from it), clearing up the many leaves in the garden (many more still to fall, but I shall do it in stages), planting some plants which my mum bought for me and tackling my ironing mountain and then having a clear out of coat hangers. My wm is not working and I have an engineer coming out to it tomorrow to hopefully fix it. My mum has kindly done some of our washing in the meantime but we still have a backlog to sort.

I am not making any more KM plans than that except for some fleabay listing and a small amount of paperwork as I also have several appointments to attend this week.

x
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 16th Oct 16, 11:53 PM
    • 5,357 Posts
    • 41,164 Thanks
    Igamogam
    8 boxes and 2 bags of items + 1 cosy coupe car taken to NNS last night. 3 boxes of unsold items came back home today - have sorted about half a box of those to go to CS next week and a couple of items have gone into fleabay pile, Rest of unsold items have been boxed back into loft for next NNS. Lots of things gone and nice amount of £££ received in exchange - have given the money to the children for their toys and books which sold and I have the money for clothes and equipment.
    Originally posted by greent
    NNS (NCT) here too 96 items sold £180 better off What didnt sell is now packed up and ready to go to CS.

BTW I have almost £20 on my Nect*r card from my donated stuff sold in Oxf*m I think it should be more and will be tackling once more why stuff isnt being tagged.
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat'
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 17th Oct 16, 7:19 AM
    • 10,331 Posts
    • 198,159 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Morning all.

Could someone please send me (in no particular order).

1. A masseur.
    2. A replacement left big toe.
    3. The patience of a saint.
    4. Valium.

As you may have gathered, it's been a Bit of a Trial this weekend, which for me started at 4pm on Thursday (having finished work at 3 pm). I got in just before 10 pm last night, smacked various things (toothbrush, phone etc) onto chargers and fell into bed.

The masseur for the aches and pains, the replacement toe is for a bruised one I dropped a shed onto, the patience is to forbear killing Aunt and the valium is self-explanatory.

I will probably post more this evening. If we're spared.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 17th Oct 16, 7:51 AM
    • 10,331 Posts
    • 198,159 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Actually, after three consecutive back-breaking days, starting at 5 am, at the bungalow, I am positively relishing my upcoming 6 hour call centre shift.

Why ? Because I will be sat on my beam end lifting nothing heavier than a pencil and moving nothing more awkward than a computer mouse.

There will be no Aunt, as well, which is a blessing as I was on the verge of being unforgivably truthful and/ or commiting aunt-i-cide.

Tell ya, if nothing else, clearing up Stuff reinforces the life journey towards minimalism. Do it before you get too old and feeble to do it, mes amies, that's all I can say.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

277Posts Today

1,280Users online

Martin's Twitter