Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greent
    • By greent 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    • 5,199Posts
    • 52,364Thanks
    greent
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 30th Dec 15 at 12:31 PM
    Link to 2015: thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5146700

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Repaid mortgage early (originally 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Now repaying BTL Mtge. Opening Bal £69786. Current Bal £68286
    Net sales in 2016 £778.60/£500
    Dec grocery spends £0/ £480 NSDs 4/12
Page 275
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 14th Oct 16, 6:23 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 12,804 Thanks
    MMF007
    Well done GQ Sounds like you and nearest n dearest are pretty organised.
    You are not alone in enjoying larger vehicles. We hired a large campervan a few years ago with the plan to share the driving. I bagsied first go and did about 450 miles in total before DH had to prise my hands off the wheel 5 days later, because it was such fun! And I have to say I have the reversing skills of Reginald Molehusband (anyone remember those public information films?).

Retrieved something from recycling bag, naughty M! Well I have been given a Kindle ( ) but there is no cover with it. I realised that an old notebook had a lovely cover so I fished it out and it will fit perfectly once the scribbled-on pages are removed. So now I have to fashion a harness inside to hold kindle in place and I'll have a lovely Free cover!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • Mrs VP
    • By Mrs VP 14th Oct 16, 7:11 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    Mrs VP
    I'm on holiday at the moment but will be travelling home tomorrow. I'm looking forward to getting back to my Kondoing.

Condolences GQ. Your posts about your nan have had me reminiscing about my wonderful grandparents. When/if I become a grandparent I hope that I can give my grandchildren as many wonderful memories as my grandparents gave me.
    • building with lego
    • By building with lego 14th Oct 16, 7:18 PM
    • 2,342 Posts
    • 5,618 Thanks
    building with lego
    VJ's mum, if you want to get rid of that Lego....
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 14th Oct 16, 7:40 PM
    • 10,336 Posts
    • 198,235 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Gawd, Reginald Molehusband, that takes me back.

My best ever big vehicle was a 1950s double decker. It was only about 7.5 ft wide but the extra height was a bit of a number. One evening, we got stuck in Luton, kept coming onto bridges we couldn't get under and having to reverse. Whilst running very low on diesel.

When we eventually escaped suburbia, we were critically low on fuel and had to go into the first fuel station we could find. We normally tried to use one with lorry pumps but beggars couldn't be choosers so with four outwalkers and yours truly inching 'er along, we crept under the canopy with inches to spare............. I can still see the gaffer almost wringing his hands with anxiety as he sweated about us demolishing the roof of his petrol station.

Then there was the time with a blown head gasket at South Mimms services (the truckers' side). Oh dearie me, life on the road ...... We got the AA to come out to it once by telling them it was a camper van. Which it was - sort of. I think they revoked our membership after that.

Dammit I miss that bus, it's a pile of spare parts in a bus museum these days, but I have some happy memories. Top speed downhill with a following wind was a whole 35 mph.

One time I was manoevering it in a very tight area with an HGV driver as an audience. Parked and got out, and he asked me with considerable respect Does that thing have power steering?

GQ (very nonchalantly); Hun, it doesn't even have syncromesh!

Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• MMF007
    • By MMF007 14th Oct 16, 8:46 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 12,804 Thanks
    MMF007
    Ya see, you should have a blog GQ so we can all be entertained by tales of daring -do!

I actually have a bit of a knack of being able to start reluctant vehicles, it's been passed down from my grandad who was, wait for it, a used car dealer! Something in the genes I reckon. He started his working life as an apprentice mechanic, flew as a test pilot in the second world war after building a few planes, and eventually had his own repairs and sales garage. He had many repeat customers and absolutely adored fixing cars. I don't think he thought of it as work! My gran had to do the book keeping, as well as collecting any spares from suppliers, so drving and cars featured a lot in my youth. Anyway, I digress. Sorry.

Kondo'd another 1lb weight

Took a couple of books to CS but bought another one at a well known high street bookseller using a birthday voucher (not sure I have really grasped the idea of the kindle!)

Had a good tidy round before dinner but still have to mop kitchen floor and vac upstairs,
    tomorrow!

Housework, which I am happy to do, is much easier and quicker these days of course!

Also spoke to friend to arrange to take her to lunch week after next. There are a few jobs she needs a hand with re clearing some of her late husband's things out. She seems to be coping and has always been an organised person but is physically a little frail so I have offered to lift n shift.

M
    Last edited by MMF007; 14-10-2016 at 8:49 PM.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 14th Oct 16, 8:57 PM
    • 10,336 Posts
    • 198,235 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Ahh, happy memories of that bus. I lost track of it about 20 years ago (didn't own it) and thought to track it down over the 'net. An exchange of emails with an enthusiast revealed its whereabouts and that it's sadly in bits being used to repair other old buses. I had hopes mebbe it had been restored and was somewhere I could go visit it............

But they can never take the memories! We used to get followed around by the Polis as it was the height of the new age traveller paronoia. GQ, part of the stripy handknit jumper tribe. Such fun.

Some more yarn came to light in the bungalow, including several balls of the same colour. Mum and I have each started a handknit hat from a pattern in Nan's knitting basket. I shall make big fat pom-poms for each and we will donate to charity. Should bring joy to someone, and will bring joy to me, I love making yarn pom-poms, have done ever since I was a nipper. I think if Nan could be looking on, she'd approve.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• mavvymoo
    • By mavvymoo 15th Oct 16, 9:09 AM
    • 2,143 Posts
    • 31,712 Thanks
    mavvymoo
    Morning all sorry I have been awol but have had an awful few weeks and internet problems to boot.

GQ I am sorry to hear about your Nan.

I will be back again later to catch up with what you have all been doing as I havent been able to until now

So until later

Mav x

Debt free and Mortgage free thank you to all for your encouragement and advice

Crazy Clothes challenge over by miles /£500 and 25 whole weeks with no spending 11/25

• Pooky
    • By Pooky 15th Oct 16, 9:15 AM
    • 6,539 Posts
    • 39,233 Thanks
    Pooky
    Friends move didn't go to plan yesterday. They arrived at the new house only to find the current occupiers hadn't packed or started to load a rather inadequate van. We were due to meet them there to feed the troops and I was a fresh pair of arms and legs to help unload.....instead I organised everyone into a chain gang and we emptied the entire contents of the house onto the front drive and garden - it took 8 of us 4 hours of constant shifting......no it probably wasn't the nicest thing to do but monies had changed hands, the house was legally required to be empty so empty we made it. Within an hour of being empty we had beds in the right rooms, put together and made up, sofas in the correct room (admittedly with a lot of other stuff around them) and the garage full of boxes ready to start on today.

The outgoing people were not best pleased to see all their stuff outside and faffed about wondering what they'd like to take first. I left at 6pm, they'd only managed to take 2 loads by then and they still had 3 bedrooms worth of furniture, sofas, 4 bikes, tables, chairs, white goods and all their garage stuff to shift. I doubt they finished before the early hours of this morning. Their excuse......I didn't realise we had so much stuff.......there was a pile of back issues of the n*xt catalogue, they were considered worthy of going in the van before piles of washing and open draws of underwear...... astonishing.

I was very glad to come home to my tidy home where everything has a place.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 15th Oct 16, 9:33 AM
    • 11,539 Posts
    • 208,250 Thanks
    greenbee
    Underestimating the time and space needed for a move seems to be fairly common Pooky. My vendors just about managed it last time, although they left the house filthy. I had, however, made clear that if there was stuff in the house or they weren't out when I got there that I'd be reversing the payment as i've had it happen to me before. No vacant possession, no completion...

Apparently they only left minutes before I arrived. I spent a week cleaning (staying at a friend's house while my stuff was in storage, having put it there a few days early to clean my old place) having had my suspicions about what it would be like.

House has been a state since work travel kicked off last month. I haven't been home much this year, and when I have the builders have been here. I really do need to get it sorted as it looks like I have a couple of months free of work travel. Plus I have family here this weekend and next, and don't really want them to see the chaos I generally live in.

Working is also easier when my environment is clear and uncluttered. And cleaning is easier when things are tidy...
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Oct 16, 9:34 AM
    • 26,544 Posts
    • 140,142 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Plus one to the underestimating - but it was the professional movers I hired that did it, honest! They said I needed one Luton van, I ended up needing two. Astonishing! These days, my KMing is going so well, I *would* only need one

Am accidentally KMing my craft stash yesterday evening and today - no wonder I haven't used it, its all over the place ... oops.

Save
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.
    Currently: 86.53/25,000
    Save
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 15th Oct 16, 9:57 AM
    • 520 Posts
    • 12,804 Thanks
    MMF007
    Oh Mavvy, sorry to hear you've had a bad time. Sendng (((((0))))))), in case that can help any.

M
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 15th Oct 16, 2:01 PM
    • 538 Posts
    • 15,936 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Mavvy, hope things are looking better for you.

I well remember my first move, when we optimistically hired a Luton van - we hardly owned any furniture, just a bed, table and chairs and a sofa .... Some hours later, after we'd left the tail lift on and drained the battery, we were still shifting boxes of stuff and it was just luck that a friend turned up to help as we'd seriously thought we wouldn't need more than two trips. Never again - I've always paid for removal men since then.

I have always done my utmost to ensure the house was clean when I left it. Sadly not everyone subscribes to that!
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • loocyloo
    • By loocyloo 15th Oct 16, 4:46 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    loocyloo
    Plus one to the underestimating - but it was the professional movers I hired that did it, honest! They said I needed one Luton van, I ended up needing two. Astonishing! .

Save
    Originally posted by Karmacat

same thing happened to us ... they sent 2 men initially, then sent another 2! THEN another van!

and they were SOOOOOO SLOOOOOOOOOOW ! ... we were only moving a mile away, and had filled and emptied 3 cars several times before they seemed to have done anything! ( luckily we were moving into an empty house ) They said they didn't need to come and do anything the day before, and they were also meant to be packing everything!
    we also shifted ALL our garden pots/furniture into a neighbours garden and collected that a few days later!

I've kondo'd a few more childrens games and puzzles, so that is my playroom pretty much done. although I think I might need to sort the duplo, as for some reason it won't fit in the box anymore? !!! does it grow? !!!

I've got to do the airing cupboard next ......
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 15th Oct 16, 4:52 PM
    • 3,817 Posts
    • 13,862 Thanks
    Slinky
    Well the day started fairly well. We decided that the apple tree we started cutting back last week would be way too much for the wheelie bin, so OH chopped it back and I loaded it into the car for a trip to the tip.

I set to and chopped back some other bushes leaving enough room in the wheelie bin for the grass as the lawn didn't get cut last weekend as it was full of apple tree.

OH decided he'd sharpen the blade for the mower, so I asked him to sharpen the shears also. So now we can't get the shears back together, it appears the plastic k n o b has a metal thread in it that the nut goes into. However the k no b rattles, the metal thread has come away inside and is too deep for the thread of the nut to reach. That'll be new shears needed.

So OH puts the mower back together, it then refused to start properly without the switch being held in, then it stopped completely. That'll be a trip to the repairers again. We had a similar problem earlier in the year, and still have the receipt, I don't know if there's any form of guarantee, but it took weeks to be repaired as they struggled to get the part. We won't buy another Hayter electric mower, it's had similar problems several times previously.

Oh, and of course we've now got 2 weeks growth on the lawn.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 15th Oct 16, 5:09 PM
    • 11,539 Posts
    • 208,250 Thanks
    greenbee
    I've put an Ikea CoD into the garage - I think I'll donate it at Emmaus as they'll be able to repair the minor defect rather than tipping it. But seeing the problem has made me rationalise some of my storage.

Upstairs has been cleaned and tidied. I have a perfectly good sleeping bag and two rather ancient kingsize duvets (4.5 tog and 9 tog) surplus to requirements and I'm not sure what to do with them. I also have a mattress topper that needs to go to a laundry that washes with something unscented as it STILL stinks of whatever was used last time, despite taking it to the laundrette and leaving it on the line for hours and sleeping on it for a year. My other one was washed by the laundry near my parents, so I may well start taking them up there once a year.

Raining now, so missed the chance to mow. Office is a tip, but the desk that was cluttering up the dining room is now in there and although it doesn't go with the rest of the (ikea birch) office furniture, it provides useful space. I need to have a long think about the office at some point. I don't really like working in there as it's so small. But need somewhere to shut my work stuff away when not working (whenever that is) and work when people are here. And I also keep all my personal filing in there. Still, it'll be a while before I get to it, so not something to worry about for a while. But it doesn't make a huge amount of sense to be getting rid of decent furniture and keeping the ikea stuff...
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 15th Oct 16, 6:12 PM
    • 2,613 Posts
    • 40,770 Thanks
    silvasava
    Only one item kondoed today - the old alarm clock that ticked away all night, didn't go off this morning and was still showing 10.45pm!!! Good job I'd put my phone alarm on just in case. Have spent the day buttering rolls and cooking sausages and bacon for all the guys who were lifting the boats out and putting them on the trailers. Am somewhat shattered so now home with a cuppa and going to veg out and watch Strictly
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 15th Oct 16, 6:14 PM
    • 10,336 Posts
    • 198,235 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Evening all.

((((((((mavvy)))))))))) sorry to hear you've had a bad few weeks, if it's something you want to vent here, we're here for you, if you want to keep it private, just accept positive vibes.

Well, where do I start? We left at 08.30 and came back in at 3.45, having done yet another dump run on the way across the hometown.

Cousin arrived not long after Mum, Dad and I, with a mahoosive estate car and began emptying and taking outdoor planters and like ilk, such as part-used bags of potting compost.

Dad and I got one of the CODs on a sack barrow and took it the 70 yards down the road to his sister's garage (no car, virtually empty). We then emptied the second piece of furniture left in that room, a very unspecial dressing table. Aunt moved it away from the wall and was staring behind it in consternation.

Yup, the classic pale beige 'flour' outfall on the floor caused by rampant woodworm infestation. I de-mirrored it (and separated the mirror from its backing and took it and all three drawers down the garden to a growing pile which will be Bonfire II - the Revenge. Couldn't do pyromania today as two households two doors away had lines full of washing.

But tomorrow, mes amies, we plan to be there REALLY early and get burning before anyone has a chance to do their washing.

The rest of the time was being divided between clothes sorting, crockery sorting, shed sorting, shed dismantling (Big Shed is a roofless wonder, many many spiders reported homeless after 50 + years of multigenerational living).

The dump run included some metals (alu pan sans handle from the shed, bagful of those one-use bedding plant modules) and several items which were generally part of the WTH?! territory.

Aunt got underfoot but did sweet eff all (ususal style), Cousin played nicely with others and worked hard, Dad clambered around on Big Shed's roof with a pry bar, and I scoured the place out for things which will burn without causing pollution. Have shedloads of small knackered basketry (woodwormy in many cases) to burn.

I also have some small hand tools which need to be slipped into the edge of the fire to have their woodwormy handles burned off. This is an old trick if you've got something with a handle you can't get off, although you must minimalise the time spent in the fire so's not to upset the temper of the metal.

Going to be taking some Stuff back to the city tomorrow night, and returning to the bungalow clearance next weekend, which will be the last before the keys come back. Still a lot of Stuff around which no one in the family wants and which will need to be donated and recycled.

We're all cream-crackered and I now have to go research skip hire for next week.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 15th Oct 16, 6:43 PM
    • 10,336 Posts
    • 198,235 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Oh, for mila, I don't know if you have 'skips' in the US, I guess the nearest analogy is probably a dropbox, bearing in mind what I saw on a US hoarding website.

Skips come on trucks and are swung out onto the road or onto your land, and your fee pays for their contents to be taken away. Smallest ones are about the size of a hatchback car.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• Slinky
    • By Slinky 15th Oct 16, 8:08 PM
    • 3,817 Posts
    • 13,862 Thanks
    Slinky
    I always thought the US equivalent of a skip was a dumpster?
    • maryb
    • By maryb 15th Oct 16, 8:08 PM
    • 3,010 Posts
    • 35,195 Thanks
    maryb
    Skips outside shops are usually called dumpsters, aren't they? Dumpster diving is the equivalent of our skip diving
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,291Posts Today

6,007Users online

Martin's Twitter