Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greent
    • By greent 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    • 5,184Posts
    • 52,213Thanks
    greent
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 30th Dec 15 at 12:31 PM
    Link to 2015: thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5146700

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Repaid mortgage early (originally 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Now repaying BTL Mtge. Opening Bal £69786. Current Bal £68286
    Net sales in 2016 £759.24/£500
    Nov grocery spends £337.64/ £332.50 Exercise 12 NSDs Wk 1 4 Wk 2 3 Wk 3 3 Wk 4 3 Wk 5 1
Page 274
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 13th Oct 16, 5:23 PM
    • 4,347 Posts
    • 61,564 Thanks
    VJsmum
    vi's mum
    i would sell the lego on eBay
    Originally posted by whiteguineapig
    Turns out two things are in sealed boxes, DS doesn't want them and they are fairly rare and should get at least £50 - which obviously I will give to DS and it might inspire him to get rid of more
    Maybe I will never be all the things that I wanna be,
    Now is not the time to cry, Now's the time to find out why
    I think you're the same as me,We see things they'll never see
    Cos You and I are gonna live forever
    Noel Gallagher
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 13th Oct 16, 6:11 PM
    • 1,598 Posts
    • 12,704 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    SS great idea! We do have some pictures of that wall and I guess we will have to pass them around the family now. 🙂
    Our middle daughter came down to work here for a couple of days. When she walked in and saw the wall painted she was shocked. They will all moan about it but honestly they are all in their thirties and will have to get over its demise. I'm loving it because it looks so clean. And that's just with the primer.

Kondoed all the old thrice painted hinges (who does that...paint hinges ) and door knobs. The new ones look lovely but now the cabinet doors don't quite fit. So the will have to have one edge routered to get a good fit. Alot of money flying out the window.
    Nov $69/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 13th Oct 16, 6:22 PM
    • 4,347 Posts
    • 61,564 Thanks
    VJsmum
    who does that...paint hinges
    Originally posted by milasavesmoney

Noel Gallagher
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 13th Oct 16, 6:49 PM
    • 878 Posts
    • 3,545 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    vi's mum
    it usually works, they always need more money lol
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 13th Oct 16, 7:56 PM
    • 14,848 Posts
    • 189,621 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny

Originally posted by VJsmum

I've got paint over mine as well,
    grocery challenge November budget £400 spent £231.76
    SPC~10 No100 : : X2
    read your books challenge-currently on It started with a kiss
    xstitch challenge 63 'mittens' lyric cushion
    16 in 2016 challenge 12/16 stockings
    2016 wooligan stuff - 86 assorted hats, 9,beadbags 10,hedgehogs
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 13th Oct 16, 9:14 PM
    • 510 Posts
    • 12,647 Thanks
    MMF007
    Decorating talk is pertinent today. My dear friend has given me a wallpaper pasting table so now I HAVE TO start stripping the paper in the bathroom

I must admit I love an autumn project and I have managed to reschedule a few hours work next week to give me a clear 4 days, inc weekend, to get stuck in (one client is away on hols but still wants me to visit so I have chosen to go when suits me rather than the usual day, iyswim). Ooh, I got to pack their suitacases the KM way today, she was so impressed by how everything fitted in 2 small cases

I am really looking forward to decorating and I am certain that is because the house looks and feels so much better as the KM magic comes into its own
    Last edited by MMF007; 13-10-2016 at 9:17 PM.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 14th Oct 16, 7:18 AM
    • 6,539 Posts
    • 39,214 Thanks
    Pooky
    I popped into a friends yesterday as she's moving house today and I wanted to see if there was anything I could do to help.....said friend has never been one for housework or organisation and although they've been planning this move for over 8 months the house was in a shocking state. I took one look and said "put the kettle on, I'm staying for the day". She sobbed with relief.

I'm naturally quite organised and methodical where as she's been flitting from one pile of stuff to the next just shifting it half an inch. Within an hour I'd emptied one spare room of dross and started stacking boxes that were piled up everywhere else which made it easier to see where we are at. Washing was all gathered from the four corner and 6 washing baskets from around the house (there's 3 adults in the house and 6 baskets?)....I got her shoving loads in that could be tumbled and allocated a bag for it all to go in when dry, stripped and remade the beds and allocated boxes and bags for the bedding to be packed in this morning, got curtains down, washed paintwork, scrubbed bathrooms and managed to find 8 black sacks of rubbish.

We then tackled the airing cupboard....19 sets of bedding - for 2 beds and 27 bath sheets.....hand towels and flannels were scoured through and good ones kept, the rest filled 2 more black sacks. I also managed to persuade her that the memories of the 35 year old leather jacket were far nicer than the crispy, unwearable thing she was left with.....lots of sobbing as that went in the bin but that was the turning point and boxes of greetings cards, old baby clothes (her youngest is 21), toys, ornaments.....all went. She admitted that she's packed so much already that she doesn't want in her new home but she hadn't had the strength to deal with it. I've promised to help unpack and help deal with it.

When I left the only room left to pack was the kitchen. I was emotionally wrung out when I got home and went into overdrive with tidying and cleaning (not that it needed it). It really overwhelmed me just helping her deal with it for a day so I can understand just how much effort it's going to take her to sort the rest.

At last count we took 18 black sacks to the tip along with various old appliances and 9 to charity. Considering there's been weekly trips to charity and the tip since she's been sorting, it really shocked her.

Today I shall be using the contents of my larder to make up sandwich fillings to feed the troops as they load/unload the lorry and be there to offer moral and physical support.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 14th Oct 16, 7:32 AM
    • 4,347 Posts
    • 61,564 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Well done Pooky, a true friend
    Noel Gallagher
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 14th Oct 16, 7:37 AM
    • 14,848 Posts
    • 189,621 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny

I totally agree

Morning all.

Plan on kondoing a bed this weekend if the game of furniture Tetris goes well.
    But this morning I want to finish painting the fence at the bottom of the garden

Hope everyone is as well as can be.
    • loocyloo
    • By loocyloo 14th Oct 16, 8:23 AM
    • 201 Posts
    • 998 Thanks
    loocyloo
    I released (posted) some bits to the world via fleabay yesterday, and another bag of stuff to the CS ... where does it all come from? EVERYTIME I think that's it, a couple of days later I find more! and my cupboards never seem bare!!!
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 14th Oct 16, 9:07 AM
    • 537 Posts
    • 15,902 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Gosh Pooky, I wonder what state she'd have been in if you hadn't turned up! I love moving house - not the actual relocating, spending money etc but the planning and preparation, I don't know why but something about it really appeals to me.

I recall helping a friend a few years ago - they'd paid for the removers to pack for them, and she seemed to take this as 'I don't need to do anything'. I turned up on moving day to find the cupboards and freezer still full of food, the (built-in) fridge was not emptied, but she'd managed to pack every single toy so her 5 and 6 year old were trailing around with nothing to do.

It was one of those moments when you realise that what goes on inside other people's heads is sometimes very different to your own thought processes!
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 14th Oct 16, 9:18 AM
    • 4,347 Posts
    • 61,564 Thanks
    VJsmum
    When we moved here, we came back from a two week holiday on the Wednesday and moved on the Friday. I was 8 weeks pregnant and had terrible sickness and I'd packed nothing. Oh i also had a two year old. There had been hold ups in the move and we were supposed to have been safely installed in new house before the holiday. it was very uncertain that we'd be moving at all which was why i hadn't packed. We were driving back from Portsmouth on the wednesday morning - having got off an overnight ferry - and i was ringing the removal company to come in and pack on the Thursday Luckily, they could.

I'm afraid the house was rather dirtier than i'd like to have left it and the removal people packed the lot, no time to sort. it meant unpacking took weeks.....

I walked out of the house with a mop in one hand and a bottle of gin in the other
    Last edited by VJsmum; 14-10-2016 at 9:23 AM.
    Noel Gallagher
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th Oct 16, 9:33 AM
    • 26,541 Posts
    • 140,115 Thanks
    Karmacat
    From me too, thats amazing!

When I moved here, 7 years ago now, a friend from mse helped me, I don't know what I've have done otherwise. I was pretty sorted with regard to what actually went into the removal van, but I'd still kept too much, and I hadn't worked out how I was going to get to the new town. Or get from the estate agent to the new house. And when I freaked out at how small it was, my friend was on hand to commiserate and support. And she brought the bubbly. She was wonderful - I think its one of the most amazing things anyone can do

Save
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.
    Currently: 86.53/25,000
    Save
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 14th Oct 16, 10:13 AM
    • 4,347 Posts
    • 61,564 Thanks
    VJsmum
    41 , 42 2 sim cards that were lurking in the bottom of DSs school bag for some reason
    43. a kiddies book, that was DSs, found lurking in a cupboard that is about to get the "shabby chic" treatment. Same cupboard houses tons of 'lego'. My kids never really took to lego but don't want me to get rid of it. Go figure
    44. A PS2 game, we are now onto PS4 and only then for FIFA (I hate FIFA, it definitely brings out the worst in DS)
    45. A DVD pub quiz game. Probably only ever played once in about 10 years
    46. a recorder from when kids were little. It never took off
    47. A caravan manual for a caravan we don't have
    48. A "Simply yoga" book. I don't do yoga at home
    49. an old manual for our BT visiion
    50. An old ruler that was lurking behind said cupboard
    51. an old contact lens (in its case) of DDs ditto
    52. an old doorbell sounder - bin
    53, 54. 2 DVD's of me tap dancing in a show. i don't think anyone needs to see that. The shows are two or more hours long and i am in them for about 5 mins.
    55. a boxed game of charades - if we want to play charades I don't think we need a boxed game. i don't think we have ever played charades
    56. an old pair of specs for DD - i believe opticians send them to under developed countries
    Noel Gallagher
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 14th Oct 16, 10:32 AM
    • 14,848 Posts
    • 189,621 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Finished fence painting for the mo so going to go and see what I can kondo before work.
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 14th Oct 16, 10:36 AM
    • 615 Posts
    • 10,190 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Kondoed: 1 husband to Africa for 4 weeks
    Lots of cardboard and plastic from wrapping and packages, where he only took the item, to save on space and weight. Now the guest bedroom is at least rubbish-free for my parents who are arriving today. I'm afraid they have to make their own bed With my current backpain I cannot turn the sofabed in the right position, and open it.

It's very kind of you to help your friend, Pooky. I have always helped friends move, and when we moved from the apartment to this house, I was 7 months pregnant, and my friends helped me. Due to their energy, we managed to completely empty the apartment in one day, packing and all.
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.110,70 = £ 2,743.95 (it fluctuates with the exchange rate; I won't update it if it's going down ).
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 14th Oct 16, 11:07 AM
    • 510 Posts
    • 12,647 Thanks
    MMF007
    pooky
    Now I understand the meaning of the phrase, 'A friend in need is a friend indeed.'

(I always thought it was a silly phrase until an auntie explained it as ' a friend when you need one is a friend indeed', but that doesn't scan! )

Right, dropped in momentarily, off to town to do some chores! DH working a long day today so I want to pick some nice fresh food to make something yummy for dinner.

Hope everyone finds some joy in the day,

M
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 14th Oct 16, 11:40 AM
    • 3,298 Posts
    • 23,400 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Go you Pooky! When we moved the best thing that happened was friends of ours letting me sit in their house drinking tea and letting Dr Witch deal with the removal people

I am normally very on the ball but I had a bad fall the day before moving!
    "Shop" From Stash (2 skein down!)
    OS Weight Loss +1/7
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 14th Oct 16, 2:19 PM
    • 3,809 Posts
    • 13,793 Thanks
    Slinky
    Well done Pooky, fantasic friend, can I book you for some future date when we hopefully move?

Looks like our house purchase is going to fall through. Vendor is trying to hang onto a piece of land (pathway) we thought we were buying but which we will only have the rights to walk over to reach our back garden, which both OH and I agree is a deal breaker. He's been increasingly unhelpful through the process so far, and seeing he'll be our neighbour, we're getting fed up of trying not to show we're getting peed off with him.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 14th Oct 16, 4:52 PM
    • 10,323 Posts
    • 198,009 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Oh well done, Pooky, what a rockstar of a friend.

I find moving quite entertaining and have volunteered to help many a pal with their removals. I sometimes get asked because I am known to have been White Van Woman and the prospect of getting my mitts on a long-wheel base Transit or a Luton van for a few hours is joyous. Plus those tail-hoists on the Lutons are such fun, aren't they?

Ahem, deafening silence, must be just me then?

Today I am weary but rather satisfied. We forcibly grounded Mum who has Parkinson's and needs more rest than she naturally takes. Dad and I took his car to Nan's bungalow to meet with his sister who lives close by.

This was the first time I had seen it since furniture and appliances started to be taken away and I was expecting to be distressed. Oddly, I wasn't. It was a trifle peculiar to have some pieces of furniture still in situ and some just gone, with boxes and bags and random piles of Stuff every which way.

I started by taking down two wooden pelmets and three curtain tracks and two sets of shelving units and boxing a lot of books after Aunt had taken what she wanted. Aunt and I then stripped the spare bed and made decisions on the extra bedding which was stored folded under the bedspread and in the divan drawers (mixture of family usage and donation and ragging and the cats' home).

I then removed the headboard and put in in Dad's car (saloon, seats down), added the two divan drawers and the folded over single mattress and the falling apart bedside table. We went to the tip on the way home and I learned that old curtains and bedspreads can't go in their textile recycling, only clothing, so they will go to the chazzer for their rag merchant sales.

Tomorrow, Mum will be rested enough to come also, we've decided she must spend every other day resting. She is proposing to take her circular saw and cut the single divan base into two, which will mean it can go into the car, on Sunday because we will obviously be three persons tomorrow and can't have all the seats down.

Tomorrow we will go through more household textiles and clothing and little things. Some baskets are going to be offered to the flower arranging ladies, they are of that ilk, to see if they want them.

Clothing and footwear have mostly been rehomed already and Cousin is due at some point tomorrow to collect external planters and flowerpots. She won't be able to take the shed tomorrow as it relies on a borrowed trailer which will not be available until next weekend. However, Dad will offer to assist her with dismantling Big Shed and to that end we have retrieved a pry bar from Mum's workshop.

Small Shed was dismantled and burned yesterday on a ferocious bonfire which I am disappointed to have missed but Dad wanted to take advantage of the good weather in case it wasn't dry today. We share a love of bonfiring and it got rid of garden rubbish as well as some wood wormy furniture.

Garden's still looking good and we've been giving away some of the standing crop to neighbours; marrow, leeks, carrots, and people seem to be very pleased to have an invitation to go down the garden and take what they like. No one's been grabby, there's plenty to share about.

I'll sleep like a log tonight, but we're getting there. Tenancy ends on 23rd so we've got to get cracking. It's still probable that there will need to be a skip but I have hopes we might be able to get the double mattress into the car as there is a surcharge if mattresses end up in the skip.

All in all, a productive fiver hours (plus an hour's travelling and the detour to the dump). And I shall soon be eating roast beef and all the trimmings, so that will restore some of the depleted energies.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,658Posts Today

7,241Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin