Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greent
    • By greent 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    • 5,184Posts
    • 52,220Thanks
    greent
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 30th Dec 15 at 12:31 PM
    Link to 2015: thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5146700

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Repaid mortgage early (originally 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Now repaying BTL Mtge. Opening Bal £69786. Current Bal £68286
    Net sales in 2016 £759.24/£500
    Nov grocery spends £337.64/ £332.50 Exercise 12 NSDs Wk 1 4 Wk 2 3 Wk 3 3 Wk 4 3 Wk 5 1
Page 273
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 12th Oct 16, 11:47 AM
    • 878 Posts
    • 3,545 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    vi's mum
    i would sell the lego on eBay
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 12th Oct 16, 12:46 PM
    • 615 Posts
    • 10,195 Thanks
    Siebrie
    I have done my back in carrying my youngest dd from our bed to her own last night It's a good thing my parents are coming for a fortnight on Friday, to help while dh is away. I have just informed them that I count on them helping me out with several kondo projects .

Not enjoying work at the moment; I don't mind 'busy', 'continuous', or 'a lot', I do mind 'relentless'. My colleague and I have the feeling work is giving us ADHD! And since we are bottom of the pile, there is noone we can delegate the work to.
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.110,70 = £ 2,743.95 (it fluctuates with the exchange rate; I won't update it if it's going down ).
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 12th Oct 16, 12:53 PM
    • 11,531 Posts
    • 208,110 Thanks
    greenbee
    Decided to make a start on preparing the office for winter (i.e. using it again as I can keep the temperature in there higher than the rest of the house). The CoD I keep fabric in has died - it's an elderly IKEA one and I can't get the joint at the bottom tight so the drawers no longer run smoothly. So I've sorted the fabric into other locations (3 pairs of spare curtains that may end up being used here/at my brother's when we both get near finishing our houses into the 'outdoor' CoD with gloves and walking socks/fleeces; fabric into the bottom drawer of the bureau). I just need to find homes for the gibble from the top drawer and then I can evict it. I've offered it to my brother, but if he doesn't want it, I'll take it to the tip as the CS will probably reject it as not being perfect...
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 12th Oct 16, 1:37 PM
    • 4,347 Posts
    • 61,575 Thanks
    VJsmum
    vi's mum
    i would sell the lego on eBay
    Originally posted by whiteguineapig
    I would, but the kids won't let it go. And it's theirs...
    Maybe I will never be all the things that I wanna be,
    Now is not the time to cry, Now's the time to find out why
    I think you're the same as me,We see things they'll never see
    Cos You and I are gonna live forever
    Noel Gallagher
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 12th Oct 16, 1:42 PM
    • 11,531 Posts
    • 208,110 Thanks
    greenbee
    I would, but the kids won't let it go. And it's theirs...
    Originally posted by VJsmum
    Put it in their bedrooms then
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 12th Oct 16, 2:34 PM
    • 4,347 Posts
    • 61,575 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Put it in their bedrooms then
    Originally posted by greenbee
    Not a bad shout (as my DS says). He has a huge, mostly empty wardrobe in his room - living in there would be better than the loft.

The other thing cluttering up my lounge is a huuuuge basket of brio railway. DS doesn't want it to go, and it (literally) can't go anywhere else. I say clutter, but it is all in the basket and the basket is just part of the lounge furniture. But if i had somewhere else to put it, I would.
    Maybe I will never be all the things that I wanna be,
    Now is not the time to cry, Now's the time to find out why
    I think you're the same as me,We see things they'll never see
    Cos You and I are gonna live forever
    Noel Gallagher
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 12th Oct 16, 3:01 PM
    • 878 Posts
    • 3,545 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    can you sell it and give ds the money (dangle a carrot lol)
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 12th Oct 16, 5:17 PM
    • 11,531 Posts
    • 208,110 Thanks
    greenbee
    Not a bad shout (as my DS says). He has a huge, mostly empty wardrobe in his room - living in there would be better than the loft.

The other thing cluttering up my lounge is a huuuuge basket of brio railway. DS doesn't want it to go, and it (literally) can't go anywhere else. I say clutter, but it is all in the basket and the basket is just part of the lounge furniture. But if i had somewhere else to put it, I would.
    Originally posted by VJsmum
    In his bedroom as well. That huge, mostly empty wardrobe for example...

Be ruthless!
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 12th Oct 16, 5:46 PM
    • 10,323 Posts
    • 198,017 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Evening all.

Re selling stuff, it doesn't have to be an either/ or. Some things may be well worth selling, others not really worth it.

Perhaps as an exercise, you could try working out the likely money achieved vs the time and effort to get that money. Some things might work out at a profit of 50p an hour for your efforts and that's not a very good recompense for your irreplacable life, is it?

Dad and Aunt have registered Nan's death today and meet with the funeral director tomorrow. Dad hasn't been able to get to speak to the ward manager about the ring, because he isn't in today, but he will try and speak with him tomorrow. Hopefully it's just misplaced somewhere and will come to light. If it doesn't, well, worse things happen at sea.

I'll be a bit thin on the ground these next few days, helping my parents with Nan's bungalow. We also have to manage the domestic indigestion caused by bringing some of Nan's things into their home.

They've switched out Nan's newer reclining armchair for the knackered one of their own. One of their cats, The Queen of Sheba, is in a huff because it doesn't recline as far as the other one, thus limiting the distance she can sprawl across a lap. She's decidedly peeved, in the way that only a mongrel oriental cat with a mahoosive ego can be peeved.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 12th Oct 16, 5:49 PM
    • 537 Posts
    • 15,903 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    SpekySquarehead if you read back through any of this thread,you'll find people reporting 'lightbulb' moments when they realised that they were never actually going to get round to the boot sale/eBay listing/Gumtree and decided to give the stuff to charity instead.

If it's saleable AND you can actually sell it, then yes you could earn something back - go for it. If however it's going to clutter up the spare room/shed/hall because it's the wrong time of year for selling it/it's difficult to post/you can't get round to it, then it's not going to help your mood (or earn anything). 'Sunk cost' is something we all struggle with - owning this stuff has taught you something, so thank it and let it go.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 12th Oct 16, 6:20 PM
    • 10,323 Posts
    • 198,017 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    PWD's right. We've all had to swallow the bitter pill of sunk costs at one point or other. Some things you get to write off to experience. In reality, most of the 'value' (read price) of an item evaporated the second you took it out of the store. It's that brutal.

And say you do think about selling, you'll be having versions of this internal convo: I should put that on the car boot pile, and this and this. Wrong time of the year for boot saling, so will have to wait until spring, probably Easter or Bank Holidays in May. Do I really want to spend half a spring day trying to flog my carp? After having had it hanging around for 6 months, minimum? And what about selling on fleabay, better keep every box, juffy bag, stryo-peanut and what-have-you in case I need it for packaging. Try not to think about the time spent queueing at the post office or getting gouged for a % by the sites.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• greenbee
    • By greenbee 12th Oct 16, 6:38 PM
    • 11,531 Posts
    • 208,110 Thanks
    greenbee
    reported
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 12th Oct 16, 7:01 PM
    • 3,298 Posts
    • 23,423 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    reported
    I did as well!
    "Shop" From Stash (2 skein down!)
    OS Weight Loss +1/7
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 12th Oct 16, 7:03 PM
    • 10,323 Posts
    • 198,017 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Well done, ladies, the efficient forum people have vanished it already.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• greent
    • By greent 12th Oct 16, 8:05 PM
    • 5,184 Posts
    • 52,220 Thanks
    greent
    6 fleabay parcels posted today Money transferred from paypalll to CC.

OH's bday tomorrow. Presents he is getting which I am aware about are clothes (2 tops, requested/ needed to replace others & socks - needed), cufflinks (not needed by joyful), edibles, 2 CDs (he will like), a voucher for an experience and a voucher for a shop where he wants to buy something specific Not a bad result
    Repaid mortgage early (originally 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Now repaying BTL Mtge. Opening Bal £69786. Current Bal £68286
    Net sales in 2016 £759.24/£500
    Nov grocery spends £337.64/ £332.50 Exercise 12 NSDs Wk 1 4 Wk 2 3 Wk 3 3 Wk 4 3 Wk 5 1
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 12th Oct 16, 10:22 PM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 12,711 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    Kondoed the writing on the wall. Well the workman did anyway.
    I had a short space in the small hall where I recorded kids heights and let them put their hand prints. That turned into them letting their friends trace their handprints. It has been a much loved tradition and everyone looks at it when they come home. My youngest will be 30 in a few weeks. Very grimy. It's time for it to go.
    The new wall color is bring me much joy.
    Nov $69/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 13th Oct 16, 8:38 AM
    • 2,605 Posts
    • 40,614 Thanks
    silvasava
    Mila - suggest you photograph the wall before it goes! It's part of your family history.
    I put an item on FB yesterday to sell & it's gone! Not a great deal of money but it's out the door. A friend of DH has just asked for his motorcycle panniers so that a bit more gone. Think I'll probably post a few more odds & sods but if they don't go within the month I'll CS them. Slowly slowly
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 13th Oct 16, 9:14 AM
    • 915 Posts
    • 7,121 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Speky - this has come up lots of times with lots of others here, so they will give you the benefit of their experience. However, think about:

1. Whether you have time to sell these random bits and bobs
    2. Whether they actually have enough value to compensate you for your time (search on ebay/gumtree/FB selling groups to see what they go for)
    3. How it makes you feel having them hanging about - you may find that when they go the negative feelings go with them.

You're debt free now, so although these items got you into debt, you got out of it without selling them. Maybe it's better to move on? And perhaps if you donated/freegled them you would help someone else avoid getting into debt.

It may also depend on the item concerned, but whatever you do, don't let the piles of 'stuff' that you're trying to let go hang around and continue to block your energy.
    I'd try selling them Speky, provided they are 'easy' sellers.

The giving thing I see as ''something (anything) for the benefit of another that is done freely and without resentment or regret.''

In this way, we can see that we all freely give all day long, whether it's a smile or holding a door open or sympathising, or popping loose change into a charity pot, or taking bagsful of unwanted items to a donation point, or even just letting somebody else go first in a long queue.

In short, anything you do without regretting it, or calculating the cost of it, is giving. And that makes you feel good simply because it doesn't feel bad, if you see what I mean.

So you don't have to give away good stuff to feel good.

Having said that, it's easy to get stuck with selling. Almost as if once you've decided to sell something, then it can only go if it's sold.

So I'd say sell till you start to get impatient or fed up with the unsold remnants, then ditch those if it makes you feel better.
    Originally posted by Serendipitious
    You both make very good points. I hate seeing the clutter of things so I think get rid of it sooner rather than later would be of benefit. Thanks very much, you've both helped put it into perspective.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    Savings Target by June '17 = £1,350/£4,000
    NSD (18/20)
    • Icey77
    • By Icey77 13th Oct 16, 4:20 PM
    • 1,197 Posts
    • 4,145 Thanks
    Icey77
    I've just posted 4 safety gates up for sale in FB, hopefully they will sell promptly. We have one left on DS's bedroom door so why on earth did we think as first time parents with DD we would need 5??!!!? Although thinking about now that I'm posting that we had one on the door between dining room & living room, one on her bedroom door and the one each at the top & bottom of the stairs. Thank goodness we're past that stage with DS now!

We tried to kondo my Christmas present to DH from last year, a Go Ape experience but I managed to book the wrong location so the gift are balance has gone into an account and we will re-book in the spring. It was cold, wet and drizzly today so perhaps not such a bad thing!!
    Whether you think you can or you can’t, you’re probably right ~ Henry Ford

Got Married ~ 19th March 2011

DD Born 16th March 2012 DS Born 3rd May 2014
    • grunnie
    • By grunnie 13th Oct 16, 5:13 PM
    • 1,473 Posts
    • 7,682 Thanks
    grunnie
    I spent most of yesterday signing up for e*bay and taking photos then ages trying to get my photos and the descriptions on eb*y but then couldn't be bothered. Then on faceb*ok tonight a friend wants stuff to sell for charities in the local area. Sorted -took the easy way out. The charities get the money and I have another clear out and I don't have to queue in the post office.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

412Posts Today

2,652Users online

Martin's Twitter