Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• greent
    • By greent 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    • 5,087Posts
    • 50,977Thanks
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 30th Dec 15 at 12:31 PM
    Link to 2015: thread:

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Repaid mortgage early (originally 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Now repaying BTL Mtge. Opening Bal £69786. Current Bal £69786
    Net sales in 2016 £712.18/£500
    Oct grocery spends £291.92/ £350 NSDs 2
Page 272
    • Busylizzie
    • By Busylizzie 11th Oct 16, 12:40 PM
    • 2,469 Posts
    • 37,118 Thanks
    Lizzie, I download a PDF of user manuals as soon as I buy a gadget and store it in a folder on my laptop. It's quicker for me than trying to find where the last person to use the paper copy thought would be a good idea to leave it. Increasingly, I find, detailed manuals are only available online, you just get a Quick Start guide in the box
    Originally posted by maryb
    That's a good idea - yes easier to do when just bought the item
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 11th Oct 16, 4:31 PM
    • 3,038 Posts
    • 31,133 Thanks
    Good afternoon.

The only thing really kondoed here is a load of dust and dirt, but at least the housework is sort of up to date, I say 'sort of' because the windows are grinning at me now just to remind me I have not truly finished. Floors all done all through and a large cotton floorcloth has been binned.

It was so lovely yesterday that they cut the large expanse of grass outside and I had grass cuttings come in through the open window. All well and good except my flat is high up in this block so I'd thought it was immune to that sort of thing but apparently not.

No incomings apart from consumables, post sorted at source, heap in hall is shrinking slowly, could do with a couple of Bay sales to complete so that more can go.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”
    Frugal October £63.81 / £60

• MMF007
    • By MMF007 11th Oct 16, 6:45 PM
    • 450 Posts
    • 11,228 Thanks
    Kondo'd rug sticky stuff that stops them walking - it had lost its effectiveness - replaced with effective version! Used a birthday gift card towards the cost , although not sure that's what the gift-giver had in mind

kondo'd large hedge at neighbour's. Well gave it an autumn cut, the hedge is still there

recycled some cardboard from a piece of eqt DH needed for work.

Work for a couple of hours tomorrow then lunch with friends House looking tidy but I plan on doing some cleaning after my soiree.

Life's not all beer n skittles!
    Last edited by MMF007; 11-10-2016 at 6:48 PM.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 11th Oct 16, 6:54 PM
    • 1,527 Posts
    • 12,045 Thanks
    Looks like it's a New Mexico version of Remploy, Scope or Mencap with community facilities:
    Originally posted by Floss
    Exactly. The now closed recycle center gave many of their adult clients jobs. It a shame they won't have that anymore.

Everything you would every want to know about me and some you probably didn't want to know 😊

Tattoo's -No
    Piercings-Yes, ears only
    Marriages - 2
    Divorces- 1 (the philandering @&$;#%!!)
    Pregnancies- 7
    Children -6 (2 step children)
    Surgeries - 25 (seriously)
    Been to Jail - No
    Shot a gun - Yes
    Quit a job -Yes
    Flown on a plane -Yes
    Gone over 140 miles per hour in a car - No (125 mph and I was driving )
    Hit a deer - Yes
    Gone zip lining - No
    Cried over someone - Yes
    Fell in love.... Yes
    Skipped school...of course
    Watched someone give birth...Yes
    Watched someone die...No
    Been to Canada...No
    Ridden in an ambulance..Yes
    Been to Hawaii... No
    Been to Europe....Yes (sat in an airport)
    Been to Washington D.C...No
    Visited Florida.... Yes
    Visited Mexico... Yes
    Visited Las Vegas.. Yes
    Sang karaoke ...Lordy NO!!
    Laughed so much you cried...Yes
    Caught a snowflake on your tongue.... Yes
    Had a pet(s).... Yes
    Been sledding on big hill...Yes
    Been downhill skiing...Yes
    Rode on a motorcycle...Yes
    Rode a Horse...Yes
    Stayed in hospital...Yes
    Donated blood...Yes
    Driven a stick shift .... Yes
    Rode in the back of a police car..Not yet

Kondoed old laundry room countertop that the workman tore out to the dump. Well he took it in the bed of his pickup, but I waved goodbye.
    Oct $137/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 11th Oct 16, 8:23 PM
    • 10,168 Posts
    • 194,931 Thanks
    Evening all.

Been to archery tonight, for the first time since Nan went into hospital at the beginning of September, have been too tired and stressed to feel like going out in the evening, but did so tonight and enjoyed myself.

Matters are moving on at Nan's bungalow. The washer was bought by a local man for his adult daughter whose own washer has just died, so that's a good thing for them and for us. He had the offer of the two old but unspecial wooden wardrobes for free but, when he went to move one, it turned out to be secretly riddled with woodworm. It'll have a hot date with a bonfire in the next few days.

The second wardrobe was canniablised for useful timber for a project and the unwanted bits of the carcase will also be burned.

Aunt has been able to give a two-week notice to their council, so the pressure is on to get everything done this week and next week. I shall go over at the weekend and help.

A slightly-uncomfortable thing came to light at the hospital today when Dad was collecting Nan's last belongings; her wedding ring has gone AWOL.

It was on her finger when I visited her but wasn't on her hand when she arrived at the hospital morgue. Dad wasn't 100% sure she was wearing it but I am 100% sure. Have suggested he speak to the ward manager and ask if they remove such things for safekeeping as a matter of policy, and if they have it under lock and key somewhere.

If they haven't, some person in a position of trust has robbed a dying lady or robbed her corpse. It makes me very sad to think anybody would stoop so low. It's a very narrow, very worn wedding ring, probably only worth £30-£40 in scrap, but of sentimental value to the family. I don't think she had it off her hand since her wedding day.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• greenbee
    • By greenbee 11th Oct 16, 8:33 PM
    • 11,369 Posts
    • 206,057 Thanks
    Sorry to hear about your Nan's ring GQ. Sadly this happens all too often. It's worth remembering that even wedding rings should probably come off when going into hospital - they tell you rings are OK and they can tape them, but TBH it's best not to take them. However your Dad SHOULD make a fuss. If he won't, I'm sure you won't feel any such qualms
    • Floss
    • By Floss 11th Oct 16, 8:33 PM
    • 2,980 Posts
    • 19,589 Thanks
    GQ it is most likely to be locked away with any other belongings from your Nan's move away from the ward, there will have been other things in her bedside cupboard to be returned to her N.O.K.

Thinking of you and your family, and recollecting the 4-week period we had to clear mum's 4-bed +garage home in 2005...the Ashes was still on normal TV and one of us four siblings had to be near the TV to alert the others in the event that anything happened
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 11th Oct 16, 8:59 PM
    • 10,168 Posts
    • 194,931 Thanks
    I'll be leaving it in Dad's hands, greenbee. We've been very satisfied with how well Nan has been cared-for in the hospital, and she spoke of how good they were, before she got too weak and poorly to speak, as was the case in the last week or so.

It would leave a sour taste if the ring has gone missing but we're not going to summon the police and create a big stink, it isn't worth the upset to us. It's just the abuse of trust, if it has been stolen, which sickens me.

Hopefully, it may well have been taken into safekeeping and will turn up. But yes, I agree it is better not to have any jewellery on you in hospital, if possible, but Nan was taken in as an emergency, the ring couldn't be removed without being cut off, and it's sort of the last thing on your mind.

Dad was so abstracted he couldn't even be 100% sure she was wearing it, and he'd been sitting by her bedside holding her hand on visits. I told him it was most definately on her hand when brother and I visited her, because I remember noticing it.

We'll see what happens and just roll with it.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 11th Oct 16, 9:48 PM
    • 3,038 Posts
    • 31,133 Thanks
    GQ, when it was my mother, I had the rings given to me separately in a packet and I had to sign for them.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Oct 16, 10:32 PM
    • 26,446 Posts
    • 139,180 Thanks
    GQ, I really hope her ring turns up - as you say, the sentimental value is huge.

Mila - brilliant list. I think a few of us will be filling that out

The only kondoing this week has been a couple of kitchen bits, but also *loads* of dust and dirt (and yes, my windows are grinning at me, in Serendipitous's term ) and more loads of brambles. I'm desperate to pull up the ones that have rooted while I haven't been paying attention ...
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.
    Currently: 86.53/25,000
    • Tea Lady
    • By Tea Lady 12th Oct 16, 7:51 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 797 Thanks
    Tea Lady
    Morning everyone
    Sorry to hear about the ring, GQ. Hope it’s a mis-understanding and is on the ward locked away.
    Well done to all the Kondoing going on. Move that stuff out of here.
    Well I visited the homestead over the weekend. I concluded that I have a very nice house. I’d forgotten how big, light and airy it really is. ( that could be because I haven't been in it for 5 years. Or the fact that there is very little in it.)
    The tenants have looked after it quite well. The rooms are looking a little bit tired, shabby and faded. All the rooms will need painting, the hall and stairs needs wall papering as moving out of furniture has scratched the paper in places. They weren't gardeners. Oh boy what a mess.
    We won't be moving back until Christmas so have some time to address the problems.
    Here at the rental re-sorted Cd's dvd's LP's and books. Once I had 2-3 boxes of each now a small box of each. Will take them up home when I visit at the weekend.
    Today is re-sorting the bedding and towels then off to work.
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 12th Oct 16, 8:14 AM
    • 14,658 Posts
    • 187,254 Thanks
    Morning all
    Hope everyone is as well as can be
    Mila, I love your list.
    GQ I'm sorry to hear about the missing ring-I hope it is a misunderstanding and turns up safe.
    No kondoing done this week but lots of jobs I'm currently half way through wood staining the fences for their pre winter maintenance. But the CS bag is filling nicely and I have a big bag of books and stuff to take over to my mums at half term.
    Have a good day all, I'll catch up later as very busy today.
    grocery challenge October budget £400 spent £368.24
    SPC~9 No100 : :X3
    read your books challenge-currently on To have & to hold
    xstitch challenge 63 'mittens' lyric cushion
    16 in 2016 challenge 7/16 Cushion
    2016 wooligan stuff - 86 assorted hats, 9,beadbags 10,hedgehogs
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 12th Oct 16, 8:33 AM
    • 4,287 Posts
    • 60,704 Thanks
    38 pair of 3d cinema glasses. 3 d makes Me feel sick...
    39 old watch of DDs I've been carrying around in my handbag when mine needed a new battery. The strap has broken on hers and its dearer to get a new strap than a new watch
    40. Pile of old receipts and money-off tokens from my handbag.
    Originally posted by VJsmum
    41 , 42 2 sim cards that were lurking in the bottom of DSs school bag for some reason
    43. a kiddies book, that was DSs, found lurking in a cupboard that is about to get the "shabby chic" treatment. Same cupboard houses tons of 'lego'. My kids never really took to lego but don't want me to get rid of it. Go figure
    44. A PS2 game, we are now onto PS4 and only then for FIFA (I hate FIFA, it definitely brings out the worst in DS)
    45. A DVD pub quiz game. Probably only ever played once in about 10 years
    46. a recorder from when kids were little. It never took off
    47. A caravan manual for a caravan we don't have
    48. A "Simply yoga" book. I don't do yoga at home
    49. an old manual for our BT visiion
    50. An old ruler that was lurking behind said cupboard
    51. an old contact lens (in its case) of DDs ditto

Still ploughin on. Still going to take a while.

I have 3 music stands. No-one in the house reads music (OH does a little, but doesn't need a stand). Not sure what to do with them. Ebay prices would give me about £10 - 15 in total. Would the chazzer want them?

I also have a bag of old SLR cameras and lenses of OH's that he has said can go. I keep thinking they might be worth selling - even though I am fairly sure they are not....
    Maybe I will never be all the things that I wanna be,
    Now is not the time to cry, Now's the time to find out why
    I think you're the same as me,We see things they'll never see
    Cos You and I are gonna live forever
    Noel Gallagher
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 12th Oct 16, 8:40 AM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 38,771 Thanks

I also have a bag of old SLR cameras and lenses of OH's that he has said can go. I keep thinking they might be worth selling - even though I am fairly sure they are not....
    Would be worth offering to a local college or school for their photography students. When DD1 was studying it they loved using different cameras for different projects.

Do check them first though, some lenses can be worth quite a bit. DH picked up on from a bootfair for £1 in the summer that he cleaned up and sold on for £120.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 12th Oct 16, 8:47 AM
    • 450 Posts
    • 11,228 Thanks
    My dear friend just rang re arrangements for later today (traffic is horrendous due to roadworks so she is planning ahead). She is a lovely person and we hit it off as soon as we met 27 years ago. She is 25 years older than me but we have many interests in common and much the same attitude to life. Very often she rings me just as I was thinking of her, and vice versa.

Why am I posting this on KM thread? Have I gone off topic?

It ocurred to me that many of the eminently useful things in my house are things she has gifted to me over the years

My absolutely favourite-of-all-time dressing gown,
    A small rucksack that is also regularly in service (nothing fancy, not from a 'proper' outdoor shop, but sooooo useful).
    A fleece in a lovely pale lilac (very much 'my colour'),
    A small brown teapot that's the perfect size for a cup and a top up!
    A flask that I use in winter when I am between clients in a neightbouring town ...

...and the list could go on.

OK all the tiems are very practical, which reflects her attitude to Stuff, rather than fripperies, but they all add joy to my life and, of course, I think of her whenever I use them.

I shall see her later this afternoon and I shall tell her about the sparks of joy.

I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 12th Oct 16, 8:58 AM
    • 2,980 Posts
    • 19,589 Thanks
    ... I have 3 music stands. No-one in the house reads music (OH does a little, but doesn't need a stand). Not sure what to do with them. Ebay prices would give me about £10 - 15 in total. Would the chazzer want them?....
    How about a local school or church music group?
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 12th Oct 16, 9:14 AM
    • 2,553 Posts
    • 39,663 Thanks
    Morning all - I've come back off holiday with renewed zeal to get rid of 'stuff'. Managed to relieve DH of his archery clothing for a club he hasn't attended for at least 20 years. All washed and into the CS bag along with a book I'd read on holiday and delivered to CS yesterday afternoon. Fairly busy in RL so hitting the paperwork mountain in fits and starts. RoD is starting to look a bit clearer. Going to photograph a few items to try to sell on FB - not done it before but worth a try.
    Have a good day all x
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 12th Oct 16, 9:38 AM
    • 787 Posts
    • 5,908 Thanks
    Morning all,

Needing some Kondo advice from you experts...

I'm having a hard time getting rid of things. Not actually deciding to let go and discard, I mean just throwing them away. Don't get me wrong, all the clothes I have got rid of are in bags ready for the CS but it's everything else. I can't help but look at it all and see potential for selling and earning a few bob as opposed to binning them or giving them away for nout.

I remember in the book she mentions there is a great feeling with giving and I get that but I think the fact that much of this stuff got me into debt and now that I'm out of that situation I'd like it to try and help.

Should I take the time to sell these random bits and bobs?

Should I bin them?

Should I give them all to the CS?

Thanks in advance.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    Follow my Debt Free Diary/Save, Save, Save Dairy - "It's not a lot, but it's enough"
    NST (11/15)
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 12th Oct 16, 11:04 AM
    • 3,038 Posts
    • 31,133 Thanks
    I'd try selling them Speky, provided they are 'easy' sellers.

The giving thing I see as ''something (anything) for the benefit of another that is done freely and without resentment or regret.''

In this way, we can see that we all freely give all day long, whether it's a smile or holding a door open or sympathising, or popping loose change into a charity pot, or taking bagsful of unwanted items to a donation point, or even just letting somebody else go first in a long queue.

In short, anything you do without regretting it, or calculating the cost of it, is giving. And that makes you feel good simply because it doesn't feel bad, if you see what I mean.

So you don't have to give away good stuff to feel good.

Having said that, it's easy to get stuck with selling. Almost as if once you've decided to sell something, then it can only go if it's sold.

So I'd say sell till you start to get impatient or fed up with the unsold remnants, then ditch those if it makes you feel better.

• greenbee
    • By greenbee 12th Oct 16, 11:12 AM
    • 11,369 Posts
    • 206,057 Thanks
    Speky - this has come up lots of times with lots of others here, so they will give you the benefit of their experience. However, think about:

1. Whether you have time to sell these random bits and bobs
    2. Whether they actually have enough value to compensate you for your time (search on ebay/gumtree/FB selling groups to see what they go for)
    3. How it makes you feel having them hanging about - you may find that when they go the negative feelings go with them.

You're debt free now, so although these items got you into debt, you got out of it without selling them. Maybe it's better to move on? And perhaps if you donated/freegled them you would help someone else avoid getting into debt.

It may also depend on the item concerned, but whatever you do, don't let the piles of 'stuff' that you're trying to let go hang around and continue to block your energy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,375Posts Today

6,949Users online

Martin's Twitter