Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• greent
    • By greent 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    • 5,087Posts
    • 50,982Thanks
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 30th Dec 15 at 12:31 PM
    Link to 2015: thread:

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Repaid mortgage early (originally 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Now repaying BTL Mtge. Opening Bal £69786. Current Bal £69786
    Net sales in 2016 £712.18/£500
    Oct grocery spends £291.92/ £350 NSDs 2
Page 270
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 9th Oct 16, 5:24 PM
    • 3,234 Posts
    • 23,073 Thanks
    Knit Witch
    Sorry to hear your news GQ
    "Shop" From Stash (2 skein down!)
    OS Weight Loss 3/7
    • WeeMidgie
    • By WeeMidgie 9th Oct 16, 6:18 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 2,781 Thanks
    My condolences to you and yours, GQ. It doesn't come as any less of a hurt when it's the end of a life well lived, but I hope you can take comfort in the peace of her passing.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 9th Oct 16, 8:59 PM
    • 869 Posts
    • 7,069 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    My thoughts with you and the family GQ. A well lived life and many memories to comfort you all .
    polly x
    • RedPanda16
    • By RedPanda16 9th Oct 16, 10:34 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    De-lurking to offer my condolences to GQ. Those we love are always with us.
    • greent
    • By greent 9th Oct 16, 10:35 PM
    • 5,087 Posts
    • 50,982 Thanks
    Box of random stuff + bag of rags dropped to CS this morning

Video player and defunct video-dvd combi player to electrical recycling.

Some rancid massage carrier oils binned.

2 more items sold on fleabay and will be posted in the morning

Repaid mortgage early (originally 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Now repaying BTL Mtge. Opening Bal £69786. Current Bal £69786
    Net sales in 2016 £712.18/£500
    Oct grocery spends £291.92/ £350 NSDs 2
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 10th Oct 16, 12:14 AM
    • 1,531 Posts
    • 12,066 Thanks
    It may seem madness Pooky, but that's what means some of us get bargains Some people see potential, others buy a lifestyle. So you need to understand who your market is - clearly your friend worked it out.

My parents bought a lovely extended cottage - which was decorated with lots of expensive feature wallpapers that were really not them. They've painted over all but one of them in colours that work for them, their curtains (new fabric wasn't on the list) and furniture, but also complement the house. The wallpaper that HAS been left looks even more spectacular now as it stands out as being different.

Wallpaper never features in my houses as paint is cheaper...
    Originally posted by greenbee
    Wallpaper was a big thing in US homes in the 90's but definitely not now. Gray paint is a trend here.
    Oct $137/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 10th Oct 16, 2:09 AM
    • 1,531 Posts
    • 12,066 Thanks
    I guess if mila is reading this part of the thread, she's scratching her head and wondering what the flip we're jabbering on about.

mila, premium bonds are part of National Savings & Investments, which are government bonds and savings accounts. Ernie is the nickname for the computer program which picks premium bond winners. 'His' name is derived from Electronic Random Number Generator Equipment;
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    Thank goodness for you GQ. I do get lost on some discussions that go on from time to time.
    This one had me stymied.

What a wonderful legacy your sweet Nan has left for you all. A life well lived to the point that she will be really missed.
    That the family is so thoughtfully taking care of her home and possessions speaks volumes to me as to the kind of loving, caring, good people you are. Your dad spending the time there working in her garden must have been an absolute pleasure for her, getting to see her boy regularly. I have always enjoyed how faithful you were to go see your Nan. May her memory continue to be a great blessing for you all.
    Last edited by milasavesmoney; 10-10-2016 at 2:56 AM.
    Oct $137/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 10th Oct 16, 7:08 AM
    • 10,169 Posts
    • 194,961 Thanks
    Glad to be of service, mila. I do know I read a fair few US blogs and novels and am often left scratching my head because there are things which we just don't have; good luck on finding a condo in the UK and sporting references to baseball and basketball are baffling.

Some further convos between Aunt and Dad last night reveal that she has almost certainly found a home for the two large wardrobes (all of 80 yeards away from Nan's bungalow) and a few other things. Resources are being called on, who in the village has access to a car trailer, to a lorry etc.

Today, someone working for my Nan's council will be taking a call from Aunt advising her that Nan has died and making arrangements to hand back the bungalow to their keeping for re-allocation. I know how that goes, as I take those calls for my own council employer. It's not beyond possibility that I will be on the other end of one of those calls from another bereaved family today. I do hope not, as my own emotions are understandably a bit fragile atm.

During this week, there will be an appointment made to go to the hospital and collect the death certificate, then another appointment to go to the registrar and register the death. Then, all the usual stuff of funerals. Nan was a proper church lady and the vicar has been informed, prayers were being said in her church. Not being a churchy person, the only times I'm in that building, a fine old Saxon-Nornan church, is when we're saying our final goodbyes to relations.

On Saturday past, seeing as it was raining and thus not good for the allotment, and needing distraction from my own thoughts, I went up to my pal's junk shop err very reasonably priced antiqu(ish) emporium and did some decluttering.

The inevitable large spider was disturbed (there is always a large spider, don't you find?) and some good stuff which is now in the shop window was uncovered and priced up. Some bad stuff hit the recycling bin and some so-so stuff was offered to a local chazzer, which leapt on it with both hands.

Righty, must drink my tea, fix brekkie and my pack up and head off to w*rk, please excuse such language at this relatively-early hour.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Floss
    • By Floss 10th Oct 16, 7:39 AM
    • 2,980 Posts
    • 19,606 Thanks
    GQ would it be possible to be off-phones this week? I am sure your managers would understand.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 10th Oct 16, 7:51 AM
    • 10,169 Posts
    • 194,961 Thanks
    GQ would it be possible to be off-phones this week? I am sure your managers would understand.
    Originally posted by Floss
    If I find I can't cope, I'll ask to be put onto the emails instead. It's a good thought, one which hadn't occured to me, thanks for the suggestion.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• imataloss
    • By imataloss 10th Oct 16, 9:32 AM
    • 277 Posts
    • 2,494 Thanks
    Thinking of you and your family at this sad time GQ. Take time to grieve but also remember the good times and happy memories of your dear Nan.
    I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 10th Oct 16, 9:50 AM
    • 11,373 Posts
    • 206,125 Thanks
    Condolences GQ. You have some wonderful memories of your Nan, and you and your family are part of a fantastic community, even if it is a bit more dispersed that in previous generations.

Mila - apparently grey is popular whenever there is a recession. It's been popular for a while now, which suggests things aren't getting better. Rebel, and use colour!
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 10th Oct 16, 10:08 AM
    • 3,702 Posts
    • 12,921 Thanks
    We looked at a house to buy recently and there were different shades of grey everywhere. Nice house, but I'd have had to get the paint out in every room! It wasn't the reason we didn't go for it (too near a school and very expensive), but it didn't help!
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 10th Oct 16, 10:57 AM
    • 3,040 Posts
    • 31,152 Thanks
    Good morning all.

GQ, I hope your week ahead goes as gently as it can under the circumstances.

My paperwork has never been so good, but I still have a vexatious box of till receipts which normally I'd go through and match and cross off tediously one by one. But sometimes, I do it the lazy way and if all the various statements read nicely with nothing amiss, I take a quantum leap and ditch the lot in total trust that all is well. Don't know which way I'll go with that this week!

I'm doing a frugal challenge, food wise, and I do have to say that I was expecting to feel a bit of lack, but the opposite has happened. Having a really good look at what I've actually got in stock has made me most grateful, there is definitely enough to be going on with. In fact I'll do well if I only eat half of it!

Happy kondoing everyone. x
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”
    Frugal October £63.81 / £60

• Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 10th Oct 16, 11:05 AM
    • 580 Posts
    • 9,685 Thanks
    In our village people are now painting the outside of their houses grey, and the outside window frames and doors. It's called 'olive' or 'cappuccino', but to me it all says 'bland' and 'boring'.

I worked in the garden on Saturday and Sunday, in between reading a Jill Paton Walsh detective story. The vine has been decimated, and all the grapes are now ripening off in full sunshine. Yummy! I've attacked the ivy again, have tied up the raspberries to the metal wire fence and found that I apparently have two different types of raspberry, as one of the stalks was full of unripe fruit! They are now in the sunshine and should be ripe soon.

We have packed DH's suitcases. He will leave for his African mother country for four weeks on Thursday, and is allowed 2x23kg hold luggage, 1x12kg hand luggage, a laptop bag and a handbag. We have filled the 2 suitcases, and will pack hand luggage tomorrow. He has to take a train from Brussels to Paris, and then take the plane from there (all included in the ticket), and he has found out that he can deposit his hold luggage a day early, and that it will be transported for him all the way to his African country. He can then take the bus to the train station, with just his hand luggage, as I don't have the time off to drop him off by car. Sooooo much stuff leaving our house on Thursday! All for our newbuilt house there, and dh's relatives. He is taking most of his old T-shirts, underwear, trousers, which he will wear while there and then leave behind. He is not bringing back much, either. I just want a particular piece of jewellery, and for dds it will be something small as well.
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.057,91 = £ 2,743.95 (it fluctuates with the exchange rate; I won't update it if it's going down ).
    • ScotinLondon
    • By ScotinLondon 10th Oct 16, 11:53 AM
    • 254 Posts
    • 2,923 Thanks
    Morning all...
    Condolences GQ.

Not much konding going on apart from a few pieces of tupperware that are not needed and a few podcasts off the phone.
    Have a good rest of the day all!

NSD J16 23/31; F16 19/29; M16 24/31; A16 24/30; M16 19/31; J16 20/30; J16 20/31; A16 25/31; S16 23/30; O16 20/31
    GC Mar-Sept £868.45/£1,040; Sept/Oct £129.36/£140; Oct/Nov £0/£150.00
    CCC 2016 £40.43/£400
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 10th Oct 16, 1:21 PM
    • 2,146 Posts
    • 27,596 Thanks
    Just doing one of my periodic drop-ins and couldn't read and run. GQ, there is something between a loving grandmother and granddaughter that is unique. It's a relationship that, given the right sort of people, which you and your Nan obviously were, will sustain you for the rest of your life. Lucky, lucky you.

I had the same feeling about my Nan and Grandma and still treasure the few bits and pieces that have trickled down to me from both of them. I don't only get a spark of joy when I use my Nan's rolling pin or Grandma's china bowl that was brought out on Sunday tea times, but am completely overwhelmed by a rush of love and nostalgia.

I'm trying to foster the same sort of undemanding affection with my own granddaughters. My eldest DGD always gets money from me on her birthday with the instruction NOT to spend it wisely. She always thanks me with the words, " money wasted as per orders."

I hope that when I shuffle off this mortal coil they will speak of me with the same love and respect that you have done with your Nan.

I'm not going to say that I am sorry for you because you have been richly blessed and your lovely Nan will live in your heart for ever.

I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 10th Oct 16, 1:32 PM
    • 518 Posts
    • 15,409 Thanks
    Karmacat, I have one teapot which only gets used when I have guests - it's Emma Bridgewater and very joyful to me, but I just use teabags in a mug for myself and the occasional visitor. If you love both, then keep them but it's sounding as if you love the yellow one more than the Denby one.

Had my sister visiting at the weekend, and she brought with her a black winter coat that shes throwing out - it swamps her, but being a couple of inches taller it's ok on me. It'll be perfect for work, and to make room I'm releasing a grey winter coat and a black leather jacket, both previously owned by friends before being passed on to me. I'm not sure when I last bought a coat!
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 10th Oct 16, 1:45 PM
    • 11,373 Posts
    • 206,125 Thanks
    I have four teapots, only used when I have guests, but I love ALL of them. So I'm keeping them.

However, if you only have room for one, keep the yellow one - as PWD says, it really does sound like you love that one most.

I need to get my act together this week. I have visitors next weekend, so need to get myself back to working in my office (so it requires a deep clean AND a tidy; sort out the sitting room (furniture is half moved) and clear my rubbish out of both the spare rooms.

I visited my parents (for about 22 hours) this weekend, and have decided to relieve them of the CoD I love most (of the available ones!) rather than the most practical one. So I may need to rethink how I fold some of my clothes.

In the meantime I need to think about how to cover the screws from the drawer handles that snag clothes. My grandmother used to use elastoplast, but I'm sure there is a better solution... I have two already here than need doing, and the new one will have the same problem.
    • short_bird
    • By short_bird 10th Oct 16, 2:35 PM
    • 1,738 Posts
    • 24,593 Thanks
    But... but... I like grey!!
    The decorator left this morning having transformed the living room and kitchen with 2 shades of grey and white. I loathe magnolia and the walls were dirty magnolia with the odd crack here ad there... now all elegant and clean and neutral.

I have inherited a bradawl from the ex's late dad's stash of tools so can build the door sections for the Ikeya piece and attach them to the main unit - was short of a pointy thing to make the starter holes for the bolts. The doors will camouflage some of the stuff that I am keeping, or stuff in transit or work in progress. It'll give me clear spaces rather than a jumble.
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

177Posts Today

1,464Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • BBC weather just told us clocks going back means "everyone gets an extra hour's sleep". Hmmm not if you've young children or on nightshift.

• Pension cold callers and misselling ruins lives. This petition is trying to stop them sign if u agree.

• Thank you Microsoft (Tom)

• Follow Martin