Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greent
    • By greent 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    • 5,031Posts
    • 50,132Thanks
    greent
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 30th Dec 15, 12:31 PM
    KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 30th Dec 15 at 12:31 PM
    Link to 2015: thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5146700

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Repaid mortgage early (originally 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales in 2016 £505.32/£500
    Sept grocery spends ??/ £350 NSDs 7/7
Page 252
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 21st Sep 16, 7:21 PM
    • 10,043 Posts
    • 192,077 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I have kondoed shoes! They all live underneath the coatrack in the hallway, in two shoeracks; a small one for me and dds, a large one for dh! He is much vainer than I am and has about thirty pairs!
    Originally posted by Siebrie
    How many pairs have you left him?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• dragonette
    • By dragonette 21st Sep 16, 8:48 PM
    • 853 Posts
    • 9,319 Thanks
    dragonette
    Evening all, many thanks to Fen1 and Floss - new dehumudifier is running and flatmate spoken to. I'll try to talk to him more tomorrow to get it to sink in

Its really annoying that I already do air the flat out 24/7 - but the rain the last few weeks has just stopped it doing enough. Targeting flat mate's room tomorrow as I really don't want to run an electric dehumidifier when there are other things that might help (like not stapling a dressing gown flat against a window for 18 months, I did tell him to keep an eye on it.This is why he gets checked up on like a kid)

Getting rid of items needs to wait atm - might have torn my stitches and am incredibly grumpy today!
    Starting again on my own this time!! - Defective flylady!
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 21st Sep 16, 10:53 PM
    • 4,233 Posts
    • 59,722 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Mins game day #21

21 old bills shredded (not policemen )

81 digital photos deleted (yes, I did count)

Up to date again...
    Maybe I will never be all the things that I wanna be,
    Now is not the time to cry, Now's the time to find out why
    I think you're the same as me,We see things they'll never see
    Cos You and I are gonna live forever
    Noel Gallagher
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 22nd Sep 16, 7:18 AM
    • 2,755 Posts
    • 28,108 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Good morning all.

Busy work day yesterday so not much done but did find time to post two Bay parcels and bids on other items came in so it's looking good. These are formerly annoying little things that it's nice to see find a new home.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 22nd Sep 16, 7:56 AM
    • 14,464 Posts
    • 184,435 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Morning all
    Hope everyone is well. The power of woo saw me getting offered another extra job at work yesterday, I'm very tempted but reality and practicalities dictate that it would be impossible to take it full time with the other two jobs I already have plus the lure of extra cover days I get offered. Spoke it over with Dh last night and have said I'd like it 2 or 3 days a week so will tell them I'm happy to job share it. They do have someone else who's interested in sharing the week so that won't be a problem.
    My kitchen fund can start sooner than I hoped!!!

Mins game day 22
    17 DVDs
    2 knee supports
    Back support
    Instruction book Box of camera accessories (for a camera we no longer have)
    iPod arm strap

I'm busy all day today so hope everyone has a joyful day. I'll try and catch up later.
    grocery challenge September budget £400 spent £398.79
    SPC~9 No100 : :X3
    read your books challenge-currently on haunted Leicester
    xstitch challenge 63 'mittens' lyric cushion
    16 in 2016 challenge 7/16 Cushion
    2016 wooligan stuff - 71 assorted hats, 9,beadbags 10,hedgehogs
    • oceanspirit
    • By oceanspirit 22nd Sep 16, 9:23 AM
    • 372 Posts
    • 6,057 Thanks
    oceanspirit
    Organised the shed yesterday so it's now lovely and tidy. 4 more tins of solid paint to go to the tip plus 2 rotten log bags binned.

So, down to only 413 things to get rid of for mins game before the end of next week!

Proposed building work has been put on hold as .... we have found a house . Offer has been accepted so it's just the legal work now. Trying not to get excited until contracts are exchanged but having given up hope of living together after looking for 3 years it's difficult not to.

Big reason to push on with Kondoing though as don't want to move all the carp.

So, house will probably complete at the same time as poorly rellie comes out of hospital and will need support at the same time as OH going into hospital for 2 weeks. Sigh, we'll just have to cross that bridge when it comes to it. At least with OH in rented and me not selling mine for now we don't have to move on a specific date and can take our time.
    September Grocery Challenge £86.27/£95

August Grocery Challenge £91.05/£100
    July Grocery Challenge £89.17/£100
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 22nd Sep 16, 11:49 AM
    • 521 Posts
    • 8,897 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Adrenalin is running high due to the stress from the changed work circumstances. I don't like it, but may as well use it to get the house in order.

DH is saying none of his shoes are a proper fit, and he will take every single pair with him to his home country next month. We will see... I'll have to have a discussion with him about the uselessness of buying non-fitting shoes, wasting resources, etc.. I do NOT appreciate items being bought as if for himself, worn once, and then passed on to family.

What I seem to be kondoing most at the moment is emotions and tasks.
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.000,48 = £ 2,558.03 (it fluctuates with the exchange rate; I won't update it if it's going down ).
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 22nd Sep 16, 12:24 PM
    • 722 Posts
    • 2,655 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    I started on the big mess in the dining room yesterday. I only did one small corner but it's such an improvement! It's the table where everyone dumps everything and kicks their shoes underneath it when they first walk in the door .

All the things in the pile was put away where they belong, donated to the charity shop or binned. Nothing was added to the other piles.

I've told DH and DD to keep their !!!! off the table and put their shoes away where they belong from now on. There is a pile of boxes under the table, those are items that are currently on ebay. They are out of the way but also easily accessible and hopefully will be gone in the next week or so.

I think I will be done with the dining room before the end of October and possibly the whole house before Xmas. The thought of celebrating in a lovely clutter-free house for xmas and having people over and not being embarrassed is very inspiring. My closet is still pristine and the door is still open so I can stare lovingly into it several times a day...

Ignore the mess outside the window - our little yard is on my list of things to sort out properly but will probably be left until last.
    Before:

After:

~ Thistle
    WD Fund £37.49
    Weight loss 3 / 93
    House Fund £0
    • smeeth
    • By smeeth 22nd Sep 16, 2:53 PM
    • 443 Posts
    • 2,765 Thanks
    smeeth
    Looks fab Thistle!
    Anchor yourself to the foundations of everything you love.

Thank you to all those who post competitions!
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 22nd Sep 16, 4:42 PM
    • 14,464 Posts
    • 184,435 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Oceanspirit everything crossed for successful contract exchange and immenint move in together.

Thistle after photo looks fab well done on all your hard work.

Siebrie is he actually buying the for himself or is it a way of helping out someone 'at home' by getting them with them in mind.

Got stopped on way out of work today and shown a course they want me to do if the heads agree it should all go ahead tomorrow so something else to occupy me. Can't wait. I'll certainly have no spare time for a few months. But I'm really looking forward to the challenge.
    grocery challenge September budget £400 spent £398.79
    SPC~9 No100 : :X3
    read your books challenge-currently on haunted Leicester
    xstitch challenge 63 'mittens' lyric cushion
    16 in 2016 challenge 7/16 Cushion
    2016 wooligan stuff - 71 assorted hats, 9,beadbags 10,hedgehogs
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 22nd Sep 16, 4:42 PM
    • 2,538 Posts
    • 39,381 Thanks
    silvasava
    Well done Thistle - my diningroom has become a dumping ground as we rare!y use it now. I have a cunning plan ........... but won't be able to implement u til next year but I can wait.
    Have just finished most of my packing g for our hollibobs tomorrow and a serious Kondo of holiday clothes will be done on our return.
    Sebrie - and breathe!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 22nd Sep 16, 4:50 PM
    • 10,043 Posts
    • 192,077 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Wow, Thistle-down, what a transformation.

Aren't those great snarls of Misc absolute burgers to deal with, tho? You stand there looking at them wondering where to start. The only place it with the first item, then you get there in the end.

Inspired by oceanspirit, I went to my allotment late today, felt a bit too weary for more digging but decided to sort out the shed. It's got in a proper state due to being busy just gardening, and being guilty of stuffing things into the nearest bit of shed I could reach.

I needed to find the bits & bobs for the burn bag, a paper potato sack into which I am saving things like bits of rotten wood (once dried), old stalks, random bits of card and paper and the dried pods from the broad beans. The last of those is allowed to dry out each year, the pods are harvested and the beans dried for seed, and the haulms (that's stalks, to non-gardeners btw) are bundled and racked to dry.

The bonfire ban comes off on 1st October, which is most considerately falling on a Saturday this year. If it's dry and not too windy, I intend to be releasing my inner pyromaniac.

I am also taking advantage of having my larder in a crate and am eating some things which have been hanging around a bit, tin and packet-wise. About 80% of my meals are fresh foods but I do use some of this kind of thing. Won't restock until the cupboards on the wall-o-not-quite-as-damp are back in service.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• greent
    • By greent 22nd Sep 16, 5:25 PM
    • 5,031 Posts
    • 50,132 Thanks
    greent
    Today's Kondo offerings:

* 4 items sold via ebay (to 1 buyer) packaged and sent off
    * Small carpet remnant binned
    * Bag of biscuit wrappers taken for recycling (see terracycle.co.uk for a place near you! )
    * About 30 assorted ceiling lights (those small round ones) recycled
    * 5 new airline toothbrushes - foodbank
    * 1 new in-car 12v kettle(?!) - donated as tombola prize
    * Tester pot of paint - used tester up on DS1's walls (was same colour) - binned pot
    * swimming costume and 3 holey socks to textile recycling bag

Also 3 more items priced for NNS and a bag of items for fleabay brought into the house from the garage ready to list - hopefully these items will be leaving sooner rather than later.
    Last edited by greent; 23-09-2016 at 8:45 AM.
    Repaid mortgage early (originally 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales in 2016 £505.32/£500
    Sept grocery spends ??/ £350 NSDs 7/7
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 22nd Sep 16, 6:37 PM
    • 2,755 Posts
    • 28,108 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    Well done Thistledown. It looks brilliant now.

Congrats on the house, Oceanspirit, and well done on the job Mrs MP.

Hugs for Siebrie. Like Mrs MP, I wondered if there was an ulterior motive in your OH buying badly fitting items.

Well today I have Bought Something.
    2 new cushions from c/shop, Laura Ashley covers, £1 each. They kindly deducted it from my credit note. The 2 old cushions they have replaced are waiting to go to their new home, and their 2 old covers will go for rags, they were cream and inevitably have yellowed over the decade or so I've had them.

So 2 in, 2 out = 0 effect on the clutter situation, which is as good as a win.

Been a lovely day here, hope the sun has been shining for everyone.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 22nd Sep 16, 7:28 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 2,219 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I've done very well today. I rearranged some stuff and managed to free up a piece of furniture to be donated/gifted/chucked. It looks even more spacious in the spare room now and it will much easier to vacuum.

I also got rid of various other things, a very good day.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 22nd Sep 16, 7:32 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 8,897 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Yes, there was an ulterior motive, which I am plssed about. I don't mind helping his relatives, we have helped seven through primary school, three through secondary school, two through advanced training, have three set up in a small business. I just don't see his need to hide his purchases.

Anyway, we are of for a weekend in the Ardennes, as dh has won a weekend in a hut on a campsite on groupon (he has several good sides, too), and the weather is going to be nice!
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.000,48 = £ 2,558.03 (it fluctuates with the exchange rate; I won't update it if it's going down ).
    • Mrs VP
    • By Mrs VP 22nd Sep 16, 7:48 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    Mrs VP
    Whistle your dining room looks great.

Boss still on leave so still working silly hours and not getting any Kondoing done. However eldest DD has made a great job of her bedroom and OH is ploughing through the paperwork.

This weekend will be spent moving eldest DD back to Uni, making more chutney with the apples I have been given and making cakes for two Macmillan coffee m I earnings one on Monday and one on Tuesday. I will try to fit some Kondoing in as well.

Keep up the good work everyone.
    • elona
    • By elona 22nd Sep 16, 7:50 PM
    • 10,379 Posts
    • 51,645 Thanks
    elona
    I got rid of several large cardboard boxes into recycling bin and did a bit of tidying in the integral garage. I assembled the second floor lamp but need a dd to help me with the tiny bulbs.

DD arrives back from Portugal tonight as she left her car here a few days ago. DD and sil are giving her a lift from the airport and should arrive after ten tonight.

If I get a chance in the next few days I want to do some more sorting out in the garage. Once tidied it should be a lot easier to move around and find things. Tripping over rucked up carpet and bits of wood is not helpful.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 22nd Sep 16, 8:33 PM
    • 392 Posts
    • 9,884 Thanks
    MMF007
    Oh, less Stuff, more Fun - I love it!!!

everyone is so busy and it's exciting new jobs, courses, houses, new-look dining room, and plenty of Stuff going for release

Siebrie, hope things calm down at work. I was in an office where we were put 'at risk of redundancy' 3 times in 4 years. Each time it dragged on and on but eventually there were enough volunteers (I finally took the plunge in March!, but I have no dependents and no mortgage).
    It was so unsettling, not to mention worrying for those desperate to keep their jobs. Sending a virtual hug if that will help (((o))).

I have to report a significant development at my house - drumroll -
    DH offered to put the washing away, a batch of towels. I went upstairs later and found they were all kondo rolled and colour co-ordinated

Right, off to chow down on HM low carb lasagne. Got to get the weight loss going again, have stalled this fortnight.

Enjoy Friday Everyone,

M
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 22nd Sep 16, 8:53 PM
    • 10,043 Posts
    • 192,077 Thanks
    GreyQueen

I have to report a significant development at my house - drumroll -
    DH offered to put the washing away, a batch of towels. I went upstairs later and found they were all kondo rolled and colour co-ordinated
    Originally posted by MMF007
    OMG, that's amazing. Did you check it was your actual DH not a dead ringer? Even I don't colour co-ordinate my towels. Well, they're stacked like logs on a shelf and no two are the same colour anyway.

Actually, there are two of a similar hue of blue, plus a royal blue and white one with GARY woven into the stripe down the middle. GARY is 'resting' at the moment, like an actor who isn't too successful.

I was changing a pillowslip at the parental home last weekend and asked Mum who -------- ------ was - some bloke's name, never heard of him, but one of his name tapes was sewn into the pillowslip. Mum didn't know either, must've been another secondhand purchase.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

730Posts Today

5,660Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @GemmaRobyn: @MartinSLewis my parents earned +£50k but it didn't mean they could afford to help. I worked 2 jobs at uni to get by. Why b?

• RT @JackieMutlow: @MartinSLewis @GMB Daughters loans not enough we pay 2 months rent a year (2x £410) AND £250 a month for food, train etc?

• Morning. On way to @gmb for 7:40 slot, this week warning to parents about student finance, get paid to cut debt costs, free cafe nero & more

• Follow Martin