Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gary02
    • By Gary02 29th Dec 15, 8:04 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Gary02
    What to cook for my beloved's birthday?
    • 29th Dec 15, 8:04 AM
    What to cook for my beloved's birthday? 29th Dec 15 at 8:04 AM
    Two weeks and it will be my beloved's birthday. I use to prepare something special for the day but
    at this time I do not have much idea of the best meal to cook, he enjoys French food but I've got only
    2 or 3 recipes which is not new for him. Any suggestion would be appreciate.
Page 1
    • 74jax
    • By 74jax 29th Dec 15, 9:27 AM
    • 4,447 Posts
    • 5,965 Thanks
    74jax
    • 29th Dec 15, 9:27 AM
    • 29th Dec 15, 9:27 AM
    I often ask hubby to give me the ingredients and then concoct something from them.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
    • FrugalWorker
    • By FrugalWorker 29th Dec 15, 9:30 AM
    • 179 Posts
    • 1,067 Thanks
    FrugalWorker
    • 29th Dec 15, 9:30 AM
    • 29th Dec 15, 9:30 AM
    use one of the recipes you already know, which you know he loves.

Putting the time in to a special meal doesn't need to mean a new dish, just one he will enjoy. He'll enjoy it more if you're relaxed.
    • Gary02
    • By Gary02 30th Dec 15, 10:50 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gary02
    • 30th Dec 15, 10:50 AM
    • 30th Dec 15, 10:50 AM
    Using one of the recipes he already knows is like giving something usual to him ( a big routine)
    Instead, I would like to prepare something he has never eaten before but he perfectly knows. He use to follow a French cooking tv channel and without telling me, I know that he would like to enjoy one of these French dishes though some of the ingredients does not exist in the UK
    • Henrick
    • By Henrick 31st Dec 15, 8:22 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Henrick
    • 31st Dec 15, 8:22 AM
    • 31st Dec 15, 8:22 AM
    Hi Gary,
    Have you ever heard of French cooking blog? It is the best way to find easy and interesting French recipe or you can simply google "French recipe" and see the result regarding your husband's want. Here are some blogs I found , Delices Gourmandises, French cooking for dummies, french revolution food...
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 2nd Jan 16, 9:14 AM
    • 6,012 Posts
    • 10,819 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    • 2nd Jan 16, 9:14 AM
    • 2nd Jan 16, 9:14 AM
    Or you could cook something you know he likes and attempt one of the French dishes to serve on the side?
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • ladymarmalade
    • By ladymarmalade 6th Jan 16, 8:28 PM
    • 698 Posts
    • 1,201 Thanks
    ladymarmalade
    • 6th Jan 16, 8:28 PM
    • 6th Jan 16, 8:28 PM
    What about some kind of pât! to start; chicken liver or mackerel
    You could have beef bouguignon or chicken chasseur or even a steak with dauphinoise potatoes for main.
    For pudding it could be crème brûl!e, some kind of crèpe or chocolate fondant.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by ladymarmalade; 07-01-2016 at 2:25 PM.
    "More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them." - Harold J. Smith
    • Gary02
    • By Gary02 7th Jan 16, 7:36 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gary02
    • 7th Jan 16, 7:36 AM
    • 7th Jan 16, 7:36 AM
    Delices Gourmandises is not new for me, my sister-in-law often ordered wine and French food there though I have never heard of Delices Gourmandises blogs. As far as French cooking and revolution, they seem to be interesting, I still have time to choose one or two recipes ...
    That's a good idea GlassweJen, I will prepare 2 things at the same time (2 starters, 2main courses, 2 desserts) but it will be tiring
    Thanks for the suggestions ladymarmalade, maybe duck pate for starter and chicken chasseur as main
    course as steak with dauphinoise potatoes is not new for him, maybe I'll order Delices Gourmandises chocolate fondant for dessert. What do you think?
    • Henrick
    • By Henrick 15th Jan 16, 7:45 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Henrick
    • 15th Jan 16, 7:45 AM
    • 15th Jan 16, 7:45 AM
    I am also for ladymarmalade's suggestion, sure that he will enjoy "chocolate fondant". It is one of the best French desserts but instead of sending an online order, why don't you prepare your own? You can use one of Delices Gourmandises recipe.
    • LucyMi
    • By LucyMi 23rd Aug 16, 8:10 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    LucyMi
    Two weeks and it will be my beloved's birthday. I use to prepare something special for the day but
    at this time I do not have much idea of the best meal to cook, he enjoys French food but I've got only
    2 or 3 recipes which is not new for him. Any suggestion would be appreciate.
    Originally posted by Gary02
    French and healthy would be greater. So how about you prepare him some pistou next time. It is light and you can preserve it for later consumption if you have some leftover. You can find the recipe on BBC. Of course this kind of dish wouldnt be enough for a whole dinner so you will have to prepare another main dish.
    • Gary02
    • By Gary02 12th Oct 16, 1:23 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gary02
    Very nice recommendation LucyMi, BBC offers excellent and easy recipes Thank God, everything went out perfectly, I have to give you all big thanks since your advices were a great help.
    I ordered Delices and Gourmandises chocolate cake at last, it was yummy!!! At the moment, I am looking for easy baking recipes and quick snacks for Halloween. I'll check on BBC though your recommendations and advices are still welcomed.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 12th Oct 16, 1:28 PM
    • 4,112 Posts
    • 5,254 Thanks
    spadoosh
    Instructables.com is normally good for all DIY halloween things, im sure theyll have quite a few different treats you could try.
    Don't be angry!
    • LucyMi
    • By LucyMi 26th Oct 16, 7:25 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    LucyMi
    On Food.com too, you can find many snacks recipes for a Halloween party. I also checked on delicesandgourmandises.co.uk but I didn't find any halloween treats, instead I found interesting drink and cocktails liqueur recipes perfect for a Halloween party punch maybe...
    • Gary02
    • By Gary02 11th Nov 16, 6:05 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gary02
    I went on instructables.com and found many interesting things, there are more than simple recipes there, thanks spadoosh. I also checked on Delices and Gourmandises and discovered the cocktails liqueur you were talking about Lucy, it's great and they were so easy, I prepared few glasses though we didn't make any party. It was just for fun This website jamieoliver.com is also gorgeous if someone is looking for special occasions recipes.
    • Will23
    • By Will23 24th Nov 16, 9:05 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Will23
    For my husband's birthday, I specially invited his parents and prepared sophisticated finger foods : bruschetta, crab puffs, mini turkey meatballs, cheese stuffed mushrooms, crostini and the best of all chicken and mushroom canapes... I tended to prepare canapes because my in-laws are French and so is my husband. The French are known for their preference for quality over quantity that I never have big difficulties in preparing him French treats. I often look for French recipes on the internet and if I do not have enough time to prepare it, I order one or 2 plates of ready meals, sending the order in advance following the day of the delivery. I usually went on Chanteroy and most of the time, I went on Delices and Gourmandises. Both of them are reliable and offer excellent services. I hope this will help you to make your husband's day as special as you want.
    • CoffeeAndTV
    • By CoffeeAndTV 25th Nov 16, 10:19 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    CoffeeAndTV
    Oooo I love French good- I reckon you should keep it fairly simple and stick to the classics:

To start: Warm camembert and crusty bread (to share)

Main: Boeuf Bourguignon

Desert: Tarte Tatin
    • Gary02
    • By Gary02 13th Dec 16, 12:03 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gary02
    That's a very good initiative Will. My husband was born in the Uk. I think, what really makes him enjoy French food is the fact that he works and travels very often in France. So, he easily get used to French food. Unlike you and unfortunately, I am not a great cook and when it comes to prepare something, I am always a bit lost. Most of the people here including yourself suggested Delices and Gourmandises, I discovered this brand recently and I found the latter very interesting indeed. What kind of food did you order there??

Thanks Coffee, I'll keep your menu for our weddings' birthday. He will be pleased.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

324Posts Today

3,094Users online

Martin's Twitter