Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 29th Dec 15, 2:51 AM
    • 16,019Posts
    • 59,588Thanks
    mum2one
    santas Challenge 2016... Gifts, chat, challenges
    • 29th Dec 15, 2:51 AM
    santas Challenge 2016... Gifts, chat, challenges 29th Dec 15 at 2:51 AM
    When the idea of Santas Challenge started, it was there to help / point in right direction for help / bargains / survey
    s / cashback - with the view to start in Ja, with the plan by December to be money neutral... all our costs were covered back / in advance.

Over the last few years, the thread has involved from just money making, to friendship, support, good chatter, a challenge on the 24th (or nearest or bit late), to keep in line for Christmas eve, as well as get organised throughout the year.

Part of the monthly challenge - I call its Miss Hoodie's challenge / corner, its my daughters nick-name, she helps with the challenges, - i can be those jobs that we try to put off (defrosting the freezer or cleaning the oven) but by someone else doing it as well, then turns into a job well done.
    Including the famous "miss Hoodies challenge", where Miss Hoodie finds those lovely jobs we all try to avoid.

Whether its planning for Christmas, Birthdays, Mothers Day, Fathers Day or any celebration your among friends here, whether you want to moan about that special man, or your stuck on what to buy a family member, that man in your life, between us all, I'm sure we can help if you get stuck.
    16 crafts 2015 =10/16
    Sisters legacy -50 charitable acts 25/50
    Angel Baby Item, 25 hats,5 blankets, 20 prs booties, 4 sets of bonding squares, angel dress, 3 sets cardi, blankets, bonding squares, hat, nappy covers
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
Page 16
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 5th Oct 16, 5:58 PM
    • 14,849 Posts
    • 189,663 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    The elf door I've seen is in a presentation box with the poem on, I was thinking my dd could put it on a shelf or cupboard as part of her decorations at the beginning of Dec when elf is due to arrive as the first event, then take it down on Christmas Eve night when the presents arrive and the elf disappears.
    My own children are grown up now (ranging from 30 to 15) so there was no such thing a story elf on the shelf when they were little or if there was I'd never heard of it.
    Last edited by mrs-moneypenny; 05-10-2016 at 6:29 PM.
    grocery challenge November budget £400 spent £231.76
    SPC~10 No100 : : X2
    read your books challenge-currently on It started with a kiss
    xstitch challenge 63 'mittens' lyric cushion
    16 in 2016 challenge 12/16 stockings
    2016 wooligan stuff - 86 assorted hats, 9,beadbags 10,hedgehogs
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 5th Oct 16, 6:18 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    Ah ok. I get it.
    I know, we never had anything like it. All my friends who have youndchildren post photos every day leading up to Christmas of their elves, so it felt like a right of passage now.

I know I'm going way over the top for her first Christmas when she will never remember or know. But I've always been over the top for it and hopefully it'll be in her genes too. She won't be a bah humbug like her daddy.

I've also ordered her a letter from Santa from theNSPCC in exchange for a donation. Have to admit I read it in a preview and got all choked up. Blummin' hormones
    • Anglea
    • By Anglea 8th Oct 16, 11:58 AM
    • 6,921 Posts
    • 17,019 Thanks
    Anglea
    Hi everyone,

I don't know how many of you were with me on the original Santa Challenges thread before mum2one took over - but it was back then that I first heard about Rudolph day and taking photos of elves moving about the house and elf doors.

The original thread was based on an American house organising site with special emphasis on organising for Christmas and other occasions throughout the year.

So I assume it was an American tradition brought over here, similar to baby and wedding showers which I'd never heard about when I was younger.

I've heard of fairy doors at any time of the years but it's only since the American ideas are becoming popular that I think of it at Christmastime.

So you all have Boots fever !!!

Is cinder toffee the one that looks like honeycomb?

I bought some new cards after looking through my previous stocks last week (mostly cards I'd prefer not to use - so why buy them??)

• mum2one
    • By mum2one 8th Oct 16, 12:45 PM
    • 16,019 Posts
    • 59,588 Thanks
    mum2one
    I love the elf at Xmas shame miss hoodie is too old; u can really let your mind go into overtime, elf could be naughty - sat on kitchen flour with flour - - a printed recipie for cookies.

I've treated myself to Xmas magazine, glass of wine 2ngt and chill xx
    16 crafts 2015 =10/16
    Angel Baby Item, 25 hats,5 blankets, 20 prs booties, 4 sets of bonding squares, angel dress, 3 sets cardi, blankets, bonding squares, hat, nappy covers
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 9th Oct 16, 11:09 AM
    • 2,646 Posts
    • 7,045 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Hey all,

Hope you are well.

I managed to pick up another couple of presents over the weekend.

Wilko's have some good items on sale at the moment,. if any of you bake they have one of those large mixers for 12.50.

Dxxx
    Debt Free by Xmas 2017 6,186.67/14,523.76
    Saving for Xmas 2017 0/365
    Goal Weight by August 2017 27lbs/84lbs
    Mortgage Savings 2020 0/25,000
    • chanie
    • By chanie 16th Oct 16, 6:26 PM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 5,480 Thanks
    chanie
    I haven't bought any Xmas presents for a couple of weeks, but I only have about 6 presents left to buy, excluding the children and OH. My focus has been on decorating the house, instead. We have done the lounge and plan on doing our bedroom and kitchen before Xmas. Luckily, the rooms only need painting, so is not as horrendous as it sounds.

We got our halloween decorations out today as I wanted to see what we had/needed, in advance of the children's Halloween party. At the same time, we also got our Xmas decorations out. We remembered that we threw away some lights last year, so I can now keep my eyes out for a bargain between now and then. Xmas stuff is in the shops for ages, so by the time Xmas arrives, stuff will have sold out.

Me and OH have also decided to have Xmas at home this year. We normally go to visit our families so don't have to do anything. I've started to write a list of what we need so I can start buying in advance. I bought some carrots today in Lidl for 29p, so I'll prepare them to be frozen and they can be eaten at Xmas. Luckily, our children don't eat much, so Xmas won't be expensive.

I've been on the hunt out for some Xmas eve pjs for DD, but I'm really struggling. She has about 4 sets of Frozen Pjs so I don't want to get her more. She isn't into my little pony and the non-character pjs I've seen aren't very nice. That's pretty much the selection.
    2016 challenge to save £500
    Direct savings £559.51
    Indirect savings £26.60

Roadkill Rebels #23: £12.36
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 16th Oct 16, 9:46 PM
    • 14,849 Posts
    • 189,663 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Ordered mils Christmas presents this afternoon.
    Picked up a lovely elf jacket from Tesco yesterday for DGS it is gorgeous. They had some lovely Christmas clothes in for all ages.
    Need to try and get some wrapping done this week as I want to do a pressie drop.
    Managed to find out ds2s gfs fave perfume so added a bottle of that to my list

Hope everyone is as well as they can be, and getting their stuff organised
    Hugs to all who need one.
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 17th Oct 16, 12:56 AM
    • 16,019 Posts
    • 59,588 Thanks
    mum2one
    Chanie - Good luck with the decorating, you can come and do ours, the trouble is once one room gets done, the rest looks a mess,,, thou to be honest it is!!

The front room I'd give a 8/10... trial and error, we steamed the chipwood off, think the plaster just soaked up the paint, next job to tackle is the dining room, thou it looks like a junk room at the mo.
    Its weird we should have more time it doesnt seem to happen..

Escape to the sun next week.... can't wait, then come back and start the dining room, we get back 1st Nov, so given myself 2 weeks to do the dining room, the following week start Xmas wrapping, presents are in 3 different placces es so hoping that shoudlnt need to buy mces,
    16 crafts 2015 =10/16
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 17th Oct 16, 9:46 AM
    • 14,559 Posts
    • 22,026 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    I've ordered a couple of presents yet to be allocated recipients - I do this every year as I have to order them NOW LOL They're the most amazing cookies by a lady who is just fabulous! I don't mind sharing her details because I've already got my spaces on the order list LOL Happy to let anyone know - but they're not REALLY money saving - just blooming amazing Christmas cookies LOL

Most of my Christmas stuff will really take off when I get home from holiday on the 1st of November - as we go away tomorrow for 2 weeks I won't get anything done between now and then but I need a holiday! That said I intend on stuffing suitcase with sweets to make hampers when I get home LOL As we'll be in Florida there should be plenty of options too hahaha

Any of the kids can have Disney stuff as we'll no doubt end up in Downtown at some point... That said I'll only buy things I can't buy over here because otherwise why would I drag it across the pond

We'll sadly miss Halloween here which I'm a little sad about, but hopefully we will catch most of Halloween in the US which should make up for it! I can't wait!
    DFW Nerd #025
    SPC member #561
    Sept 2016 - £10811 Oct £10166 to clear Cleared Since Sept 16:£645 6% repaid Declutter 25 items in November target: 0/25 Make £10 extra a day in November: £57/£150
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 17th Oct 16, 2:30 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    Ordered some bits from Poundland this morning. They have some really nice Christmas items in. Decorations, door mats, wooden signs for the wall. Actually really impressed for a quid! Got a few bits last month but the rest of the lines have come in now. Can't beat a bargain
    Got a few more small presents ordered. Have just got to get bits for kids on my dad's side of the family and then I'm all done. Woo.
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 20th Oct 16, 12:52 AM
    • 16,019 Posts
    • 59,588 Thanks
    mum2one
    MrsTinks - Hope u have a fab time, and lots of bargains...

Crazy cat lady - Never think of ordering online from£1 shop sounds like some great stuff xxx
    16 crafts 2015 =10/16
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 20th Oct 16, 9:59 AM
    • 302 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    I only ordered once before this one. The problem is delivery costs £5. But if you're ordering a lot it's worth it. For me, dragging the baby on a bus to Manchester would cost that anyway. Because I hate driving and parking in Manchester, it can be a nightmare and if I did drive and park it would cost more than £5. So, it works out ok.
    They have the most adorable little moneybixes with "make it sparkle" on them. Clay, quite heavy. They don't look or feel cheap. I got a Couple of them. It's a shop I do like a lot and miss going in. So at least I still can in a way. Now if only I could get the card factory bits online. Sadly the things I get from there they don't sell online.
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 20th Oct 16, 10:22 AM
    • 16,019 Posts
    • 59,588 Thanks
    mum2one
    Gd morning, it's early as I'm away from this afternoon so here's

Santas challenge- October,

Were just over 9 weeks to Xmas so all the planning we have done throughout the year should start coming into play.

Checklist..
    Weekly planner, whether it's a notebook or some a4 paper base a week at a time, so all the family can add in where there going, / block out days etc

Cards...
    Look at your list and start writing cards whether it's a couple here and there or a block day or so, don't forget the bottle of wine - hard job all those cards

Presents
    Check where you are and who you need to buy for, and keep an eye out for sales. Nov brings us Black Friday and cyber Monday

Shopping
    If your online shopping don't forget cashback sites and check the postage some shops you hit a certain spend and it's free postage

Light bulbs
    Now darker nights are coming in, lights are on more, so go round the house and take a nite of bulb and aim to have 1 of each spare in stock.

Batteries
    Another little overlooked item - usual remotes etc - aim for spare - if you've got children loom at there toys - esp if your liable to be buying toys as few come with batteries.

Smoke alarm
    Usual check the battery

Supermarkets
    There all offering different Xmas offers at the mo mr m seems to have weekend deals which are great savings aim for a Friday to try to get the best chance of getting them.

Extras
    This sounds daft but it's not just food that we need extras of toilet rolls, etc - add them in

Petrol
    Sounds daft but try to get in the habit of topping up regularly - although petrol stations generally are only closed for 1 day - always the mad ore mad rush so if you can avoid all the better

Apologies it's a short and sweet - you can have a rest from miss hoodies corner! Xxx
    16 crafts 2015 =10/16
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 20th Oct 16, 12:27 PM
    • 14,849 Posts
    • 189,663 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Thanks for the lists mum2one
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 26th Oct 16, 5:38 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 848 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    Will go and look at this month's challenges now. Been a bit hectic lately and I've been a little unwell and having tests done. I am now officially done with my Christmas shopping though! Everything is bought or pre-ordered or on is way. I can relax a little and get things wrapped the night I put the tree up.

I've got all the Christmas magazines and the good food Christmas and good housekeeping Christmas. So I'm going to have a settle down tonight when the baby has gone to bed and have a read through the ones I haven't already.

Not long now!
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 27th Oct 16, 8:27 AM
    • 2,646 Posts
    • 7,045 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    CCL - Aw hope you feel better soon. Wow you are done already! That is amazing. I am off to the Boots Christmas event tonight after work so should be able to tick another 4 or 5 off my list.

I know so exciting!!!

Dxxx
    Debt Free by Xmas 2017 6,186.67/14,523.76
    Saving for Xmas 2017 0/365
    Goal Weight by August 2017 27lbs/84lbs
    Mortgage Savings 2020 0/25,000
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 27th Oct 16, 3:57 PM
    • 3,176 Posts
    • 34,782 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Ready now to pack the 8 shoe boxes ready for delivery next week- thought I had all the time in the world ....HA Ha..... November was months away and now it's next week!!

I have one crotchet knee blanket only a few inches long which needs to be done for then as well.- needs to be about a yard or so long.

Just collected stuff to go in boxes from friend in Mablethorpe plus boxes of soap etc donated by a chain of pharmacies. In the boot I also have 20 duvets going to yet another dog charity...,... One day I will see a teeny space on the floor.....or even in my car!

Looks like I shan't have a Christmas. It's going to be a long dark winter with no high spots but yesterday I was offered operation slot on Dec 20th for the L knee with same surgeon and same anaethetist at the local hospital so decided better to get it done and then hopefully I can go cruising (and dancing) next year. Now trying to get my head around it all.

Hope everyone is well and organised!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 27th Oct 16, 4:14 PM
    • 14,849 Posts
    • 189,663 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    CCL hope you feel better soon, hopefully the tests will be able to find what's wrong and get you back on the mend quickly.

Aww Katie bad timing with the op BUT once you've recovered you'll really be able to concentrate on enjoying life more fully and the next Christmas will be a al reason to celebrate.
    You really sound as if you've got a lot on you plate at the mo, I hope you get some time to clear the decks and have some time to rest and enjoy yourself.

Dh normally sends me an email from work about operation Christmas shoeboxes but I haven't had one so far.

Hope everyone is well
    Last edited by mrs-moneypenny; 27-10-2016 at 5:18 PM.
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 27th Oct 16, 4:17 PM
    • 16,019 Posts
    • 59,588 Thanks
    mum2one
    KAtiehound ,that's brill news about the knee, is there anyone to look after you,

I can't believe a week ago we were at Manchester ready to go, it's lovely here, miss hoodie has an admirer one of the entertainers, I had to remind him she's 14. Not 18.

Bar that he has his uses! He took us to the souk, got a few bits; done a bit of exploring, even found McDonald's...

Off to the souk again in morning, miss hoodie wants her designer handbags... xx
    16 crafts 2015 =10/16
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 28th Oct 16, 6:30 PM
    • 3,176 Posts
    • 34,782 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Hopefully I have one or two friends and neighbours who will be able to help me.I have the elastic stocking puller-onner already organised!!
    As I recall from June didn't really feel like eating much until I had finished the blood thinnning tablets- was living on omlettes- so that's what I shall plan.

Shoeboxes packed - it took all day. Not yet wrapped!! (Link to Hope shoeboxes) Now to clear the mess- all the empty packs and cartons on the floor! Then sort out and pack all the goodies left over for next year's boxes!!! No need to buy any cars/ toys/ yoyos, or gloves come to that...

Also need to make doggy duvets- none at the groomers
    Make lined shopping bags for the village PO- they also seem to have sold out.
    Try to get some dog food/ treats for my bone bags- I would like to fill 20 or more. Otherwise will sell them @ £1.50 empty!! At least they are made.

Other than that... a quiet time. Ha ha
    I have arranged to spend a few days with (college) friends in W Yorks in mid Nov which will be nice- the plan was to see them in the summer after a cruise from Port of Tyne but of course cruise cancelled. So can't go empty handed- a few quick gifts needed.

I don't think the declks will ever be clear- I am not a minimalist and doing all sorts of crafts I have just- everything!! (and everywhere) Personally I always blame the hounds, it wasn't me who scattered toys all over the floor

take care folks
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

604Posts Today

3,677Users online

Martin's Twitter