Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 28th Dec 15, 7:51 PM
    • 8,537Posts
    • 42,219Thanks
    Mooloo
    Mooloo's little tapestry of life, 2016
    • 28th Dec 15, 7:51 PM
    Mooloo's little tapestry of life, 2016 28th Dec 15 at 7:51 PM
    So as yet another year comes to an end and a new one begins its time to start a new page in the chapter of life with Mooloo and my world.
    This is about year 8 since I joined MSE and about the 8th year of my own thread.
    Why is it in Relationships and not diaries? Because basically it started with my relationship with my challenging off Spring who came home when pregnant, and what has happened since.
    Now of course life is very different as I bring up my eldest grandchild, and my lot have left home.
    I now have a business in its infancy, and a different future awaits.
    Financially it's still tough, and I rely on Tax Credits etc to survive.
    I hope 2016 will be a better year, and a more stable one for DGD.

So here I am, planning to rejoin several frugal threads, and clear my debts that have sneaked up on me, making better store cupboard use and crafting my way through the fabrics I already have.
    Building the business at the same time.

So here is to the future, every one.
    Making thermal cooking bags, too help others save fuel costs, and produce fabulous meals for pennies! I love my sewing, and it has helped me to make new friends and feel useful!
Page 45
    • dktreesea
    • By dktreesea 15th Oct 16, 9:54 AM
    • 5,315 Posts
    • 8,028 Thanks
    dktreesea
    Hi Mooloo,

Your Facebook page and video are amazing. Loved all the photos too. Have a great day!
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 15th Oct 16, 5:26 PM
    • 8,537 Posts
    • 42,219 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Well today is not going to plan.
    I did finish the blind. Replaced the skirt zip, jeans zip, and shortened some sleeves in a jacket, and then started to shorten a bed spread. Oh and fixed a few seams on another jacket.
    I went to Towcester to drop off the photos and ended up helping decorating the room with balloons and banners etc
    So by the time I have got home I only had an hour and a half to relax, eat, etc
    I'm hoping to get a quick bath, but was really wanting a pamper afternoon!
    Oh well.
    Making thermal cooking bags, too help others save fuel costs, and produce fabulous meals for pennies! I love my sewing, and it has helped me to make new friends and feel useful!
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 16th Oct 16, 3:14 PM
    • 8,537 Posts
    • 42,219 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Well DD was very surprised to see everyone hiding away in the upstairs room. One off her friends came all the way down from Derbyshire and went back again in the same night.
    I was up at 6.30 to take DS to his job. But as DGD was at a sleepover I did get to go back to bed again till mid morning.
    It's been catching up with a bit of repair work in the garden, to cover DS's bike again, re rig the washing line and cover, put the window back in the shed. It needs a new roof. So I will have to order more felt, or something similar to salvage it as it won't last the winter otherwise.
    I have a wash load now out on the line, the rain has gone and the sun is out. DGD is still around her friends for dinner too!
    My next job is to see about covering my stool to match my sofa covers I did last week.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 16th Oct 16, 4:18 PM
    • 8,537 Posts
    • 42,219 Thanks
    Mooloo
    The second load of washing is on the line, a couple of the first things are dry. Third load in the machine. I will catch up! I will.
    The stool is covered. Still have a house that looks like a bomb site. But I want to do something else for a while. I feel like a little research and some reading until the current washing load is finished. Then perhaps I will attack another job or two.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 17th Oct 16, 7:03 AM
    • 8,537 Posts
    • 42,219 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I was back to bed by 8.30 last night. Although I did wake a few times. The alarm woke me an hour ago, and I'm still in bed. I've been looking at my bank balances, moving funds into savings, and listening to a guided mind session, oh and drank my first cup of tea. It's still dark, and I am wanting to stay tucked up in my bed!
    Fleetingly the urge to take the day off went through my mind, but of course I can't just do that. I think I have a 9.30 fitting for a start. Staff won't be in much before 11 either.
    The other Mum is due to do the school walk this morning. So I can potter a little longer before I go to work. I never did do the accounts. So I will be kicking my self later on as it must be done. I got out of the routine and now I'm weeks behind.
    The clean washing is about the bathroom and sitting room and I still have several loads to do as I didn't get any done on Saturday.
    But the load that's still on the line is under the covers so it may dry today.
    I'm trying not to tumble dry as it takes forever in the washing machine, and while it drys then it can't wash.
    Time to make sure DGD is awake, so no more excuses I need to get out of my warm bed, and possibly put the heating on for a short blast.
    Have a good day everyone.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 17th Oct 16, 6:41 PM
    • 8,537 Posts
    • 42,219 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Fairly busy today. But the shop itself was quiet. Only one fitting.
    The lady was supposed to collect her blind but didn't turn up.
    I tried again to chase up the error with my council tax, but was passed from pillar to post and no help. I have emailed them trying to explain my frustration at their figures.
    I was supposed to be taking DGD to Brownies but she has bumped her head and has a headache so Calpol and a wet flannel and stay at home.
    Had a confrontation with a man who blocked my car in. I did ring the police for advice, and was going to give them the registration number, I was being transferred when DGD hurt herself. Or he would have had a visit from the police.
    Now I just want to relax and try and find my karma as its pretty negative at the moment.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 18th Oct 16, 7:20 AM
    • 8,537 Posts
    • 42,219 Thanks
    Mooloo
    So I went to bed around 9pm and lights out around 9.30
    I woke twice for the loo, and woke at 5.24am
    I do try to get back to sleep but gave up and listened to two meditation sessions instead. Attracting a better health balance etc and attracting money. I want people to come and Collect their finished items and pay for them. I'd like to rebuild my bank balances as they are very low compared to recent months as September and October have been way over budget so far. Helping the family and birthdays mainly.
    I lack focus, and at the moment with the darker days, I struggle with motivation. I swear I could hibernate all winter.
    That is why I dream of retirement abroad. To have vitality from the brighter sunny days. Even if it is not so hot.
    How can I ever do that if I don't now amass funds, and create opportunities for myself?
    I would like to find that happy life work balance, and the elusive ease of which to live my life. I would like to stop the treadmill and have time to enjoy my life and the grandchildren.
    But don't we all.
    I am going to have to wake DGD and get us ready for school and work. I have a feeling that she will not be wanting to go to school today as she was not very settled last night.
    So best foot forward, calm and logical, and focus on a positive attitude rather than the negative one!
    I have a fitting at 10.30
    I am babysitting the others again at 5.45 as the other granny is very poorly and can't.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 18th Oct 16, 7:59 AM
    • 8,537 Posts
    • 42,219 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I think DGD may have slight concussion as her pupils are very large under the bright lights they should have dialated more. She's still complaining about headache and tummy ache.
    So that means that I better take her with me and watch her.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 18th Oct 16, 1:28 PM
    • 8,537 Posts
    • 42,219 Thanks
    Mooloo
    So, a copy of the letter I had in September from Benefits was in today's post.
    Still all wrong of course.
    Yesterday I emailed and said I was getting fed up and why can't I get a straight answer etc and would somebody sort it before I sought legal advise.
    I ring again just now on receiving the copy, to reiterate that it is wrong, and finally the woman said, an email has gone up to the supervisor as even she can see that the calculations on the council tax are wrong, and that the housing benefit was sorted. Eureka!!
    How long will it take to sort out? She doesn't know.
    But let's hope it gets sorted.
    Now all I need to do is tell them that the costs have gone up again!!
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 19th Oct 16, 7:04 AM
    • 8,537 Posts
    • 42,219 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Morning. Today is my official day off. Not that there is very much to do at work. I am planning to continue with my washing etc and my Muscle Food delivery is also due at some stage. That will top up the freezer nicely, and I am aiming towards November being a no spends month where possible.
    It means using my skills and planning ahead. (Not my best skill planning). Or is that more the Actioning after the planning?
    DS needs to be taken food shopping again. Hopefully he was fashioning a list last night.
    DGD is going back to school.
    Mums bed needs changing but I no longer have to do any gardening. I'm not sure if we will get to go out later or not yet.
    Today is "pay day" so it's the day I shuffle money between accounts and pay myself first by putting money back into the emergency funds.
    If there is not a lot more work at the shop over the next few days I won't be in a position to pay me anything until I make sure I have the rent in.
    Only £850 banked in October so far, which is only just what I expect for a week, not nearly 3 weeks.
    I must stay positive, it will come in faster soon.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 19th Oct 16, 3:20 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 7,511 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Mooloo Glad dgd has recovered . I think you're doing really well to keep battling on against the challenges . Maybe now the weather is cooling down the demand for repairs to coats etc will increase . Not what you want I know but hopefully will help keep the wolf from the door . I spent time yesterday trawling through Elaine's recipes on the old blog and noting the cheap , warming and filling ones . I aim to try and get back to much more batch cooking for both financial and time management reasons . I always feel more in control when I do so .
    I took the virtual trip around the shop last week and enjoyed it very much . I loved all the threads - a girl can never have too many of those ! Looking back to when you first took on the shop the changes are amazing , it doesn't look like the same place . Give yourself a pat on the back , if hard graft and determination will lead to fulfilling your dreams , you will get there .
    polly x
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 19th Oct 16, 5:06 PM
    • 8,537 Posts
    • 42,219 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Mooloo Glad dgd has recovered . I think you're doing really well to keep battling on against the challenges . Maybe now the weather is cooling down the demand for repairs to coats etc will increase . Not what you want I know but hopefully will help keep the wolf from the door . I spent time yesterday trawling through Elaine's recipes on the old blog and noting the cheap , warming and filling ones . I aim to try and get back to much more batch cooking for both financial and time management reasons . I always feel more in control when I do so .
    I took the virtual trip around the shop last week and enjoyed it very much . I loved all the threads - a girl can never have too many of those ! Looking back to when you first took on the shop the changes are amazing , it doesn't look like the same place . Give yourself a pat on the back , if hard graft and determination will lead to fulfilling your dreams , you will get there .
    polly x
    Originally posted by pollyanna 26
    Thankyou for your kind words, and for taking the time to look at my little shop. DGD went to school ok, on her bike, so I got my exercise walking at pace behind her.
    I got hold of the Highways Agency, and they have said the road markings will be sorted in the next two to three weeks. Hopefully that will allow us to get in and out of our drives more easily.
    The neighbour's were playing car shuffle when I got home, and told me someone was over my drive so they used my bin, and his van to block them in! Hence when I got home I had to get out and move the bin before I could park up.
    Slightly overspent today, with DS's shopping and mine totalling £117.70 eek. Although Mum has been giving me £15 a week so £60 of it was for DS's shopping, and his came to £80. However he has now got a box of 12 packets of baby wipes at £5.99 which will probably last until Christmas! And a £4.99 box of Halloween sweets in preparation for trick or treating.
    Mum and I went to the garden centre, up the A5, for lunch. Mum paid.
    We also started buying some things for Christmas, calanders, organisers, and toy box, hamster food, washing powder and mums favourite paper plates. She has them for her lunch, and some other meals, as she says she can't be bothered to wash plates!!!
    My meat delivery has arrived, so I have to divide up the chicken pieces before freezing.
    I'm thinking that I am now well stocked for the winter food now!
    I'm a bit tired now, so feet up and a cup of tea. When I get my second wind I will see about the chicken, and maybe make an extra meal when I do our dinner.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 19th Oct 16, 7:00 PM
    • 8,537 Posts
    • 42,219 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Already as the sun goes down I hit the can't be bothered wall. I had my cuppa, started to write my diary while drinking it, but found that as the sun went down my black feelings had come out and my mind is in a negative state. I couldn't even pull my self up successfully.
    I didn't fancy the pizza I did for DGD, and I'm in that mix of restlessness and lethargy, not knowing what to do, eat, or even think properly.
    So I have come for a bath, with bubbles, scented candles, the heating on, and another cup of tea, and my iPhone!
    I'm hoping to find a little spark of joy again from somewhere, something to latch on too, to lift my mood and regain my momentum! It's not easy though. Positive affirmations are fighting the negative ones in my head.
    Every time I have a bad one, I'm trying to wrap it around with love and send it on its way.
    • mellymoo74
    • By mellymoo74 19th Oct 16, 7:18 PM
    • 5,097 Posts
    • 11,273 Thanks
    mellymoo74
    Mooloo

Delurking to ask if you have ever tried a sad lamp?

I get awful once the clocks go back and it really does help.

X
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 19th Oct 16, 9:43 PM
    • 8,537 Posts
    • 42,219 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Mooloo

Delurking to ask if you have ever tried a sad lamp?

I get awful once the clocks go back and it really does help.

X
    Originally posted by mellymoo74
    I have one somewhere, but can't find its lead!
    You have reminded me that I must search for it. (Both).
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 20th Oct 16, 7:25 AM
    • 8,537 Posts
    • 42,219 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Oops! Forgot to set my alarms and woke suddenly at 7.03!
    I was surprised it was morning already as it was still dark I was expecting it to be around 6 which is when I normally wake. So I've made my cup of tea but have come downstairs to drink it, as I needed to put the heating on, and get DGD up. She too said "What? I thought it was still night time!).
    At least we still have an hour before school and then work etc so we can still make it. I just won't have my usual leisurely start to the day.
    There wasn't a massive amount of work when I left on Tuesday, so I don't expect to have to rush anything today. I can take my time, and hopefully do some work taking photos etc of the various things that I want to be able to put on line to sell.
    Time will tell as they say.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 20th Oct 16, 6:37 PM
    • 8,537 Posts
    • 42,219 Thanks
    Mooloo
    I finished all the jobs that were already in, plus I did several small jobs that came in today.
    I am left with a dress to take in on the back seam by relocating the zip. A blouse needing the shoulders lifted and darts in the bodice, a skirt to make out of another one, a darning job and a zip to replace in a pair of jeans. As they all came in today, st 3.45 I decided to come home and do some tidying up, freeze the chicken portions I had, and cooking a meal ready for tonight. At 5.15 I collected DGD and went to parents evening. Met the headmistress as her teacher is off. He is also leaving at Christmas with no permanant teacher yet to replace him.!
    DGD is still behind where she should be, but at least this term she is liking school better.
    Tonight I'm going out again in 25 minutes to do lesson 5 out of 6.
    I hope a few of them get a move on or they won't finish their items.
    The people are finally coming to measure up for the replacement windows on Monday. So I will require a little time off.
    Tomorrow biggest of Mooloo's is going to bring my Mum over to the shop, she can see how it is and make small talk with customers, we will take a pub lunch too! As I might as well enjoy our time while it's quiet and I have to pay staff anyway.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 21st Oct 16, 7:44 AM
    • 8,537 Posts
    • 42,219 Thanks
    Mooloo
    One of my ladies didn't turn up last night. Hopefully she is ok and can catch up at home. We only have one more week and they definitely are not going to be finished!
    I am having some weird dreams at the moment and am not really waking very refreshed. I will have to try to change some habits etc and see if that will help.
    Looking forward to a change in the routine at work today. I will get some of the jobs out of the way this morning.
    Dinner last night was a meal Rustled up with the help of the Supercook pots. a sort of chicken Piri Piri which made a change having the time to do it. However I am trying not to worry about the slower work load and enjoy my time better while I can. Which is actually easier thought then achieved.
    Perhaps the Universe is forcing me to rethink and prioritise at the moment.
    I certainly feel I need to brainstorm, as I feel quite stuck just now.
    I'm having a rethink about DGD going to her Mums at Christmas, guiltily I think it's more about me letting go and not having such a song and dance and being able to possibly take Mum away for a few days. Neith of us really want the rounds of family visiting, standing on ceremony and doing what's expected of us!
    DGD will be fine with her Mum as long as there are things to do etc and that his family don't try to derail things anymore.
    I haven't totally made up my mind yet.
    My friend and I were thinking of having a long weekend away, at some stage, if my offspring can be supportive and help with DGD.
    We will see which option comes the most viable I suppose.
    A lot needs to be sorted out to achieve it. I have already had three breaks this year so it does seem greedy. But I do feel that some winter sun would do me the power of good, and it would still be possible to take DGD if family can't help. It would just be dependent on school.
    She will be in childcare over half term as I will be in the shop, with my Saturday girl, staff is going to Liverpool for a few days. Twin1 cancelled having DGD due to transport issues she said.
    Right I'm not going to be ready for work unless I get a move on! I still need my shower!
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 21st Oct 16, 9:19 PM
    • 8,537 Posts
    • 42,219 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Biggest brought Mum and Baby over quite early, so that was the end of any work! I tried but gave up. So only a half day at work then we had lunch out.
    This afternoon I had a nap! Before getting DGD. Since 5.30 I've had 3 little girls running around. We're having a sleepover.
    Ds messaged asking for a lift at 7am but I can't help as I can't drag 3 kids out, and no space in the car.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 22nd Oct 16, 7:45 AM
    • 8,537 Posts
    • 42,219 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Morning. All change as no sooner had I finished my post last night then one little girl wanted to go home, so the other one also went home! My DGD was quite upset. I thought about being able to take DS after all, and then remembered that I still couldn't as I'd left the car in town yesterday lunchtime, so I could have a drink. I am also low on petrol so need to get fuel after work today. So I still couldn't help DS. But I will be doing the drive on Sunday and Wednesday instead.
    I am having my usual cuppa in bed. Still have the urge to bury myself back under the covers, but obviously I have work to do, so I can't.
    I have a new private lesson today as well. It's staffs last day for a week as she goes off to Liverpool on Monday. With it being half term my Saturdsy girl ( who can't do today), will be doing a few hours a day for me from Monday.
    I am trying to remain positive and make the best of my time, but do find this time of year quite difficult. I think I've succumbed to the black dog more quickly and deeply then I did last year because work has dropped off so dramatically and I've had too much time to think.
    My mind plays games with me. My moods swing erratically and trying to turn things back to gratitude, positivity, hope etc is a struggle.
    I've written such a lot in my diary trying to get my head straight. I've gone from slight fear of lack to a huge fear of continuing, and worrying about the future if it doesn't pick up. Then trying to reason with myself that it will improve soon, and that logically I'm being illogical etc etc.
    I wish my mind would shut up!
    I have 45 minutes now to get moving and out to work. Yet the urge to stay in my bed is overwhelmingly strong!
    Arh...I hate this feeling of utter uselessness and dire dole drums!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,705Posts Today

5,932Users online

Martin's Twitter