Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 26th Dec 15, 5:36 PM
    • 5,810Posts
    • 49,822Thanks
    Frugaldom
    2016 Frugal Living Challenge
    • 26th Dec 15, 5:36 PM
    2016 Frugal Living Challenge 26th Dec 15 at 5:36 PM
    Join us here for year 9 of our MSE Frugaldom challenge

The Frugal Living Challenge 2016

It's that time of year again, the time when we all need to start thinking ahead into the new year and how we are going to tackle any debts, generate extra income and squirrel away some savings.

Please take the time to read this post in full and check out the HANDY LINKS section. If you have any questions, feel free to message me.

This is an adaptation of the NYK/Frugaldom 'Living on £4,000 for a Year' challenge. It has been running here on MSE for several years, although these particular money challenges began back in the 90's, elsewhere. We have seen many changes over the years, so this version is a catalogue of diaries charting the progress of 'debt free wannabe' money savers.

Your budget is personal to you, it should fit with your personal financial situation.

Some have already achieved their debt free status and now follow frugal lifestyles in order to stay debt free. Others are still tackling their debts and living a frugal life in an attempt to teach their debt-free and/or mortgage-free day. Whichever stage you are at, feel free to join us for 2014 and share your journey.

The following links will take you to previous MSE versions of this challenge:

The 2015 Challenge is at http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5138351 (I am still unable to link to text on here)

The 2014 Challenge is at http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4843265 (for some reason I am no longer able to link to the text)

The 2013 Challenge

The 2012 Challenge

Part 1 - January to March 2011
    Part 2 - April to June 2011
    Part 3 - July to December 2011

Introduction to the 2010 Challenge
    Part 1 - January to March 2010
    Part 2 - April to June 2010
    Part 3 - July to September 2010
    Part 4 - October to December 2010

Part 1 - January to March 2009
    Part 2 - April to June 2009
    Part 3 - July to September 2009
    Part 4 - October to December 2009

Part 1 - January to March 2008
    Part 2 - April to June 2008
    Part 3 - July to September 2008
    Part 4 - October to December 2008

IMPORTANT
    Please respect others' lifestyles and beliefs. We are not here to judge, we are here to support. Thank you

This challenge is about living a frugal lifestyle - establishing your true cost of living, sticking to your budget, clearing any debts and making savings wherever and however you can to enable you to live the life you really want.

Frugal living isn't for everyone, but everyone is welcome to join us. Methods employed by our merry band of frugalers include batch cooking, stockpiling, preserving, foraging, mending, shopping in charity shops, reducing, reusing, recycling, Local Exchange Trading Schemes (LETS), Vegetable and fruit growing, allotments, keeping hens, using cash back sites and earning whatever it takes to become self sufficient in managing the cost of living without incurring debt.

For some it is initially about clearing debt, for others it's about increasing savings, buying property, becoming stay at home mums or paying off the mortgage early. Some choose the lifestyle on ethical grounds. Above all, this is a fun and supportive way to manage your budget so you have control of your own cost of living. It's about NEEDS and not WANTS.

Living on a budget = living within our means.
    Frugal = thrifty, living without waste

Ideas to help you achieve and/or maintain debt free living
    Recognise the differences between needs from wants

Spend within your means
    Set a proper budget
    Quit expensive habits
    Houseshare
    Get a lodger
    Shop via cash-back sites and always price compare
    Buy reduced items in stores only if you need them
    Stockpile & bulk buy bargains
    Batch cooking
    Make the most of charity shops
    Join freebie or waste awareness and recycling associations
    LETS trading - become active members of trading & exchange groups
    Bartering
    Grow your own herbs, fruit & veg
    Preserving & winemaking
    Breadmaking & home baking
    Card & gift making
    Order splitting for better discounts & shared postal costs
    Landsharing, allotments & frugal garden systems
    Online trading - auctions, stores, social media pages
    etc, etc, etc...

Monitoring and revising the budget is part of frugal living plan. Gifts & cards could all to be homemade, livestock needs to pay its own keep, anything else needs to be cash neutral.

The bits we need to include to make this work
    ====================================

Please read the MSE forum rules and help us to keep this challenge on track, thank you.
    If you have any questions about this challenge, feel free to PM me.
    The following is taken from the official MSE forum rules section:

KEEPING THREADS ON-TOPIC

Please try not to take threads off-topic. This can be confusing for new users and makes it especially difficult for people ... Where requests from Board Guides for threads to be brought back on track have not been followed off-topic posts may be removed. We encourage community, but not thread derailment.

Please bear in mind the main purpose of the site is to save money. The forum team has therefore been instructed to prioritise its time on the MoneySaving forums.

KEEPING TOPICS RELEVANT TO THE BOARD

There are two boards provided for off-topic chat and discussion. The MoneySavers Arms has been set up for fun, more lighter-hearted chat (although do still remember this is a family forum – keep it clean please). Discussion Time is for discussion of current issues (read Martin’s description).

If you post a topic that does not relate to the board it’s posted on it will be moved to a more relevant MoneySaving board or to Discussion Time/The MoneySavers Arms.
    ===================================

This challenge is about paying for needs so we can afford to live debt free and save for/afford wants. It runs from 1st January to 31st December. The links will give you an idea of how previous challenges have gone and these will be updated accordingly.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
    Last edited by Frugaldom; 26-12-2015 at 5:44 PM.
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Frugal Living Rocks!
Page 34
    • nannygladys
    • By nannygladys 25th Sep 16, 10:49 AM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 10,758 Thanks
    nannygladys
    Hi everyone, well things have improved a bit on the frugal front but it could be a lot better, so as I get my pension on Wednesday I'm going to sit down and work out what I'm doing in the next four weeks and then seeing what money I need. I have a freezer full of something as every drawer is full so I will have a sort out in there and October is my winter big supply shop so I will have to go through my cupboards to see what stocks I need (I do this every year and have a budget for it, I live quite rural and it snows in winter so I like some essentials in in case I can't get out) so that's my plan for tomorrow and Tuesday.

I know I have an eye test tomorrow but new glasses are budgeted for as I haven't had any for about five years!!!!

And I have a few babysitting bits for my dd`s but they shouldn't cost me anything and two birthdays so will have to have a look round for things for presents and hopefully that's it, so I think I will go and start cupboard inventory whilst dgd is watching her dvd, oh and I will sort the recycling out as they will be here tomorrow first thing (usually 6.30am!!!!)

Nannyg
    Mortgage free and debt free at last, but still frugal as retired. Time to enjoy life on a state pension!!!
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 25th Sep 16, 1:25 PM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 12,718 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    Nannyg you are on a roll! Everything so well thought out and on track.

I'm doing well on all fronts. Keeping in budget on the grocery challenge. Added to EF this month.
    All Christmas presents for GD bought on sale. She is so easy at 2 yrs. Now for my adult children...
    I've started asking for their wish lists. It's better to shop for sales and I need time to do that. (5 kids-two with spouses) We shall see if anyone comes through with a list anytime soon. I know it seems early but there are a lot of them and it's less stressful if I do it this way.

I'm doing well planning menus around my freezer/food stores. Top ups are fresh veggies, dairy and fruit. We don't eat very much bread. I'm so much less wasteful with food since I've start reading the different threads. It's important to not waste money throwing out food that could have been used, frozen, or reinvented into another meal. My grocery bill is half what it was from doing this plus not eating out so often (probably 2/3's less). We are eating more variety and healthier because I'm semi-menu planing. (We are retired so there are no tight schedules)

My son and I reorganized the pantries, so I'm up to date (in my mind) as to what we have on hand. I know the advise is to make a list of what you have and cross it off as you use it, but I know me and I would never keep up with crossing off things.
    I need to clean and organize the freezers but oh my goodness, I don't want to at all!

Hope your frugal ways are in place and growing.
    Last edited by milasavesmoney; 25-09-2016 at 1:33 PM.
    Nov $69/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • miss empty piggy
    • By miss empty piggy 27th Sep 16, 11:28 PM
    • 527 Posts
    • 5,424 Thanks
    miss empty piggy
    Did a good cheap shop at the weekend and still using up the "dishwater soup" in the freezer. Everyone takes the mick but it tastes delicious lol xxxx

happy frugalling everyone x
    DFW Nerd No: 600
    Debt Goal 2016: £1269.16/£7142.65
    Wombling total to date = £272.52
    • nannygladys
    • By nannygladys 29th Sep 16, 10:33 AM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 10,758 Thanks
    nannygladys
    Hi everyone
    Well went through the cupboards and freezer and a menu plan was done for the week so haven't spent very much on food, but looking at my bank statements it's sm and bits and bob's I'm spending so I'm on a mission to cut back on both. On the food front I went to the lottie yesterday and picked an enormous butternut squash it'll last me weeks!!!!! Lots of soup and roasted veggies on the cards I think!!!! Thank goodness for allotments.
    I have bought one of the birthday presides, a load of flower seeds that were in sale, so in total it cost less than £3 but the packet prices added up to £12, so well pleased as she will be, as she grows just flowers in her garden as she loves them. (Give me veggies any day). The other birthday is at the end of the month so I have a little while to get that one.

Anyway budgets done for October as I was paid yesterday.
    Nannyg
    Mortgage free and debt free at last, but still frugal as retired. Time to enjoy life on a state pension!!!
    • nannygladys
    • By nannygladys 16th Oct 16, 10:00 PM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 10,758 Thanks
    nannygladys
    Hi everyone, the budgets are going fine and I'm plodding along.

The birthday at the end of the month has been sorted (ridings lessons) and I found £40 in a drawer I was sorting so that will pay for those. Don't know how long it had been there but I can't remember putting it in there!!!!
    Next month I will have to buy some winter clothes but I'm keeping a look out in one of the cs near where I live as they have some really nice quality stuff in there, so hoping to pick up some jumpers and trousers for not a lit of money and as I've made a couple if tops out of some material I had left from a dress I made my dgd and a pretty quilt cover!!
    Anyway off to bed after a busy day with a drink and a good book
    Nannyg
    • Shortie
    • By Shortie 17th Oct 16, 7:48 AM
    • 2,159 Posts
    • 11,066 Thanks
    Shortie
    Morning all

Been plodding along here too.

My account is doing quite well so far and it's nearly payday. It's the first time in a while that I've not been very close to going overdrawn so it's a great feeling, especially as I've paid out some large payments this month too

Next up is to pay for a mini service on Mr Shortie's car and decide what to do with mine. Mine has got a big repair coming up (£1,000 plus VAT) and other niggles brewing, and it's an old high mileage car. So I either repair it and hope it's not the beginning of it's end (and therefore spend (waste) a lot of mone on more repairs) or just run it until it falls apart (but then I have no control over when it dies).

Thing is, I'm not bursting to change my car (and don't want to buy a cheap run around and inherit someone else's car-problems) but I also don't want to keep a car that I may end up spending repeatedly on when it's possibly reaching its end anyway.. <<sigh>>

Anyway, menu planning done to the end of the week and I should have some moey left to put in the holiday saving pot
    Apologies if there are random typos - I am usually replying via my phone

Loan amount £25,000. Original DF date August 2020
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 19th Oct 16, 11:22 PM
    • 4,588 Posts
    • 45,532 Thanks
    lynnejk
    Evening all
    Pleased to read everyone seems to be trogging along safely atm
    We have bitten the bullet and are replacing our old Mazda 'banger'. It has been playing up a bit recently, and now the starter motor keeps sticking. It has started to cost us money now and, because DH works back-shift and out in the middle of nowhere, we really need a reliable car.

So, we are trading it in for a 2013 plate Dacia Laureate. We checked the going price and it seems about on target, plus we will get a twelve month warranty and it was MOT'd 29th September

We have paid half as a deposit and DH is going to pay the balance over 24 months out of his overtime. Three other pluses are that it's petrol instead of diesel, will be more efficient, saving some running costs, and the insurance is £46 a year cheaper.

Rest of the budgets seem to be ticking over properly atm. The only 'fly in the ointment' is the reducing interest the banks are promising to come into effect over the next few months. Oh well, can't do much except keep juggling to get the best.

Hope you all keeping well and getting organised for the winter weather.
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213:2015=3421..2016=2925.25...DEC=195.09/310
    GrocC...2014=2162:2015=2083..2016=1703.02....DEC=32.52/200
    Bulk buy.......DEC=150.59...
    GC.NSD....2015=216.....2016=193............DEC=5/15
    SPC130x54...2014=1178...2015=1287...2016=4616. ..2017=41.30
    OS WL= 2/4 ......CC =NIL......Savings = tbc
    • nannygladys
    • By nannygladys 22nd Oct 16, 11:39 AM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 10,758 Thanks
    nannygladys
    Hi everyone, cars can be a right bug bear, I changed mine a few months ago as my other one was quite old and I didn't want to start paying out loads of money on it, so I changed it for a new one (a few months old) and I'm hoping it will be the last one I buy. I managed to pay cash with savings and I'm gradually building those up again but it's a very slow process now I've retired.
    Anyway getting ready for Xmas here. I've been making a few things for dgc, and we don't buy for adults but I always give a token gift, I'm going to have a go at onion chutney for them and perhaps have a go at some truffles.
    So frugalling is going on here most of the time but I do slip up and sewing is one area and food another!!!
    Nannyg
    • Shortie
    • By Shortie 28th Oct 16, 11:02 PM
    • 2,159 Posts
    • 11,066 Thanks
    Shortie
    I've not done anything yet about the car, but keep flipping between change it vs keep it.. sounds like I'm thinking along the lines of what you thought a while back

I've got the children's Christmas stockings sorted now. Just need to think about the pressies next
    Apologies if there are random typos - I am usually replying via my phone

Loan amount £25,000. Original DF date August 2020
    • FrankieM
    • By FrankieM 5th Nov 16, 11:28 AM
    • 1,840 Posts
    • 16,559 Thanks
    FrankieM
    Morning

I've been busy working and saving and trying not to spend too much. Unfortunately sometimes the working means buying snacks and takeaways so I'm trying to get on the ball with that.

I've taken over the utilities from my ex and have reorganised direct debits to make them lower each month and because I'm working alot, it does mean I don't have the heating on alot..so a bonus there.

I'm also thinking about Christmas and I'm planning on getting as much as possible this month as I start working nights in December for 4 months. I think I'm generally going for vouchers this year except for the odd one or two. It feels good to have a plan about it. I can find Christmas a bit stressful otherwise.

I've also decided I'm going to try to walk more to save money on fuel.

Speaking of cars, I made the emotional purchase of a car on hire purchase 2 years ago and it's a huge financial drain. I love my car but not the monthly payment. I can hand it back the middle of next year without any default payment and sadly I will be to get my outgoings as low as possible. Not my best financial decision!

I'm also paying off a debt of £5000. I've currently saved £3000 towards it and should have it paid off by the time I finish nights and then I can get to saving for travelling and at some point a deposit for a house of my own.

Hope you all have a good November. x
    You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind
    Author Unknown
    Grocery Challenge £34.81/ £150
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 29th Nov 16, 2:25 PM
    • 1,883 Posts
    • 17,836 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    Have not been too fugal a few times with spending. Not been too good with health issues recently so not really been focus on being careful with spending. Trying my best for the rest of the year.

Done some decluttering. Got the electrical work done, which I am happy with as some of the things needed doing. Left it for quite a few years. Someone in my last temp job gave me a telephone number of some company that they used. Was a bit pricey, about £600. Had asked 3 people in the Church I go to, but they were unhelpful with coming back to me with contacts of electricans. Also found out that they were unhelpful to someone else who needed help with her garden, would not give her a contact.

Got some work clothes and 2 pairs of M&S jeans from a charity shop. Happy with the purchases.

Am hoping to get some tiling done in the bathroom soon. One of the men who helped to put in the double glazing windows in last year does some handy work, so asked him and said he would do it. He will fit it in with his other work.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2016 Not Buying It 2016
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,168Posts Today

5,570Users online

Martin's Twitter