Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Susie Richards
    • By Susie Richards 26th Dec 15, 7:17 AM
    • 204Posts
    • 215Thanks
    Susie Richards
    The All NEW Countdown To Christmas 2016 Thread
    • 26th Dec 15, 7:17 AM
    The All NEW Countdown To Christmas 2016 Thread 26th Dec 15 at 7:17 AM
    364 days to go

Lets hope it's a good one

Last edited by Susie Richards; 26-12-2015 at 7:21 AM.
Page 4
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 11th Sep 16, 11:08 PM
    • 9,591 Posts
    • 17,170 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    MrsRyan - Good for you lady! Did you plan to be this organised or did it just happen?

I have a few birthdays between now & Christmas too, I have my sisters in so far but none of the others.

Dxxx
    Originally posted by Dolly Rocker
    Thank you it wasn't at all planned. Both my benefits unfortunately came up for renewal at the same time and I had a couple of bingo wins so I thought I'll do the shopping while I still can so in the worst case scenario if I have no money at Xmas at least I will still be able to give good gifts- I got all the b'day pressies together as it was just easier to do it that way
    What am I letting myself into Proud sponsor of a prop for the 16/17 season- welcome Mr W
    Thrilled and proud to have met my hero 13 and 15/05- thanks Fran!
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky 😢
    Always Team V xx
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 12th Sep 16, 7:21 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 843 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    Thought people might be interested. Just got a copy myself

http://www.theyarnloop.com/article/simply-christmas-magazine-on-sale-next-week

Simply Christmas magazine!!!
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 13th Sep 16, 8:49 AM
    • 2,646 Posts
    • 7,043 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Eeeeeeek - thanks CCL.

Dxxx
    Debt Free by Xmas 2017 6,186.67/14,523.76
    Saving for Xmas 2017 0/365
    Goal Weight by August 2017 27lbs/84lbs
    Mortgage Savings 2020 0/25,000
    • Susie Richards
    • By Susie Richards 20th Sep 16, 6:59 AM
    • 204 Posts
    • 215 Thanks
    Susie Richards
    Only 95 days until Christmas.

Best get stocking up on mince pies, Christmas puddings and cakes.

• deltadawn
    • By deltadawn 25th Sep 16, 10:01 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    deltadawn
    Its all getting exciting now i have a few around me who think you should,nt start and shop till November but besides not been able to afford to do it that late (i have to spread the cost over alot longer than a month) my niece is as bad as me so we,re always talking and planning for it lol,

I have a good few presants in but still plenty to go but i,ll speed up now as i like to be finished for November latest, then when we go on our shopping trips to other towns in December i,m not under any stress to find anything and can just shop at leisure.

Got all my hampers made up just need the cellophane and bows on, the one thing i am stuck on is i,m doing my own advent calenders this year and am really stuck on what to put in one for my 15 year old nephew (actually he,ll be 16 by then).

I,ve got a few pair of earphones frome the £ shop as his always looking for some, he has a few fave sweets they,ll go in too, but after that i,m stumped as everything else he likes is expensive,i thought of a Amazon voucher.but i want to keep the cost as low as possible as its only a advent he gets enough off me Christmas day lol, so any ideas would be welcome, his a typical 15yr old,always on his phone or playstation etc,
    • Flowfy
    • By Flowfy 25th Sep 16, 12:41 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 1,797 Thanks
    Flowfy
    Its all getting exciting now i have a few around me who think you should,nt start and shop till November but besides not been able to afford to do it that late (i have to spread the cost over alot longer than a month) my niece is as bad as me so we,re always talking and planning for it lol,

I have a good few presants in but still plenty to go but i,ll speed up now as i like to be finished for November latest, then when we go on our shopping trips to other towns in December i,m not under any stress to find anything and can just shop at leisure.

Got all my hampers made up just need the cellophane and bows on, the one thing i am stuck on is i,m doing my own advent calenders this year and am really stuck on what to put in one for my 15 year old nephew (actually he,ll be 16 by then).

I,ve got a few pair of earphones frome the £ shop as his always looking for some, he has a few fave sweets they,ll go in too, but after that i,m stumped as everything else he likes is expensive,i thought of a Amazon voucher.but i want to keep the cost as low as possible as its only a advent he gets enough off me Christmas day lol, so any ideas would be welcome, his a typical 15yr old,always on his phone or playstation etc,
    Originally posted by deltadawn

mini travel sized toiletries?
    • sammy_kaye18
    • By sammy_kaye18 25th Sep 16, 3:48 PM
    • 2,961 Posts
    • 17,973 Thanks
    sammy_kaye18
    91 sleeps until Christmas!
    Back working and happy in my job
    ....Working on becoming Me ....
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 28th Sep 16, 11:48 AM
    • 301 Posts
    • 843 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    Oooh. So pretty, and sadly so expensive. The paperchase Christmas stuff is in the shops and online for a good drooling over.
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 11th Oct 16, 3:57 PM
    • 2,646 Posts
    • 7,043 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Oooh. So pretty, and sadly so expensive. The paperchase Christmas stuff is in the shops and online for a good drooling over.
    Originally posted by crazy-cat-lady
    I'm just on there having a look now!

Determined not to spend anything as it would have to go on a CC (not very DFW friendly)

Dxxx
    • 19carlymarie88
    • By 19carlymarie88 13th Oct 16, 2:59 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    19carlymarie88
    Hi All, Very much enjoying all this Christmas spirit on this forum! I have a little question if any of you lovelies could help me. I've been super organised (for me that is!) and I've got loads of bits to make little hampers for the parents/in laws and grandparents. I was wondering where you guys bought your ribbons/cellophane and baskets etc? I was thinking Hobbycraft might be best but you all seem to be so on the ball and a hell of a lot more 'crafty' than me so any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you in advance! And happy 76 sleeps 'til the big day!!
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 13th Oct 16, 3:02 PM
    • 2,646 Posts
    • 7,043 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    carly - someone on another thread said they have nice little wooden crates for Christmas in Poundland to make up hampers, I am going to have a look tomorrow to see what they are like.

I get some nice ribbon in The Works & it's not too expensive either.

Dxxx
    • 19carlymarie88
    • By 19carlymarie88 13th Oct 16, 3:27 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    19carlymarie88
    OOOhhh I might have to have a look in poundland then....didn't even think to look there! And I'm not looking for anything too big either so fingers crossed they are perfect!

Thanks Dolly! x
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 13th Oct 16, 3:32 PM
    • 2,646 Posts
    • 7,043 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Same. I don't really need any but you can never go wrong with stuff like that, could even use it as a decoration or something.

We will see, if I like the look of them I might just pick up 2.

Can't wait!

Dxxx
    • 19carlymarie88
    • By 19carlymarie88 13th Oct 16, 3:48 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    19carlymarie88
    Exactly, and I can always find something to do with them if I just happen to buy extra!

Its all very exciting this year, LO is almost 3 and starting to get the idea of Christmas (barring why she isn't getting all the toys I've bought already for everyone else bless her!).

So I've been waiting to go full 'mumsy' mode crafting and going Christmas crazy......so I'm doing hampers this year (for the first time ahh!) and her visit to see Father Christmas is booked. So just counting down to when it is acceptable to put the decorations up!!!
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 13th Oct 16, 3:57 PM
    • 14,557 Posts
    • 22,025 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    They're like this LOL

http://www.poundland.co.uk/wooden-beer-crate-for-6-bottles
    DFW Nerd #025
    SPC member #561
    Sept 2016 - £10811 Oct £10166 to clear Cleared Since Sept 16:£645 6% repaid Declutter 25 items in November target: 0/25 Make £10 extra a day in November: £57/£150
    • 19carlymarie88
    • By 19carlymarie88 13th Oct 16, 4:10 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    19carlymarie88
    Oh wow thanks MrsTinks aren't they good, specially for Poundland lol! Def going to have to have a look now I think!
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 13th Oct 16, 4:22 PM
    • 2,646 Posts
    • 7,043 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    carly - Aw it's lovely when they are at that age. My nephew is 3 & neice is 2. Love this time of year with them.

MrsTinks - Thanks for that! I'm going to pick up 2 I think when I am in tomorrow & will jazz them up a bit.

Dxxx
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 13th Oct 16, 4:42 PM
    • 14,557 Posts
    • 22,025 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    They're not bad for a quid I think I'm going to do home made hampers for a few people like I normally do so for me they are perfect Instead of 6 bottles of beer I bet I could fit 3 decent sized jars in them with some hay in the bottom to make them look rustic
    DFW Nerd #025
    SPC member #561
    Sept 2016 - £10811 Oct £10166 to clear Cleared Since Sept 16:£645 6% repaid Declutter 25 items in November target: 0/25 Make £10 extra a day in November: £57/£150
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 13th Oct 16, 4:49 PM
    • 2,646 Posts
    • 7,043 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Sounds perfect!

Dxxx
    • Happy One
    • By Happy One 13th Oct 16, 5:36 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Happy One
    As an old hand at Christmas! some of my ideas might be of use. You can make up very nice Christmas hampers in any kind of container, I've bought baskets and pottery bowls for pence on bric a brac and junk stalls,put all kinds of things in,packet of crackers,piece of cheese and a jar of homemade chutney. Little toiletries and a face cloth, collection of sewing items for a crafty friend, box of after dinner mints,miniature liqueurs and some coffee sachets Selection boxes are a waste of money,just buy the contents loose from the discount shops and pack them into a basket When my sons were small I used to buy each of them a Christmas carrier bag and buy a few things each week, crayons,colouring books all the kinds of things you could get cheaply from the market stalls or cheap shops, was always a great hit Sadly no P....land in those days!
    Last edited by Happy One; 13-10-2016 at 5:38 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,262Posts Today

7,053Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's not fair or accurate to assign all leave voters (nor remainers) one voice. The vote may have been binary but t? https://t.co/QMqKrfY1jv

• That's cos the UK voted for Brexit. The choice now unless something radical happens is what type. (Plus twitter o? https://t.co/SLmh2jL4bU

• Todays twitter poll: The lib dem leader says more people now want soft brexit (ie still in single market etc) than hard - what do you want?

• Follow Martin