Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 15, 6:07 PM
    • 963Posts
    • 10,284Thanks
    3forholidays
    * It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year * - It's the 2016 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 15, 6:07 PM
    * It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year * - It's the 2016 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 15 at 6:07 PM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to 3forholidays for creating this fab thread devoted to how to thriftily spend time, rather than cash, on your 2016 festivities. If you're coming from the weekly email, scroll down the first several posts below for a compendium of thrifty Christmas tips.

Back to the original post...

‘It’s the most wonderful time of the year
    With the kids jingle belling
    And everyone telling you be of good cheer
    It’s the most wonderful time of the year’

Hello and welcome to the 5th Christmas Chatter Thread.

This thread is not just about Christmas, but our whole year. We have had many ups and downs, deaths and births but we have all made it through to the end of the last thread and Christmas 2015.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2016!
    Last edited by MSE Jenny; 08-03-2016 at 4:17 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.
Page 98
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 21st Sep 16, 10:17 AM
    • 1,001 Posts
    • 7,729 Thanks
    newthrift
    Cherry – Hope the solicitors get a move on!

Kaya – Good luck with the lessons. I love driving and we have just recently had another car (we just have 1 between us) that will be family proof should any small feet arrive on the horizon…admittedly where we live now and where I grew up (only 10mins away) you have to drive otherwise you can’t get far.

Vulpix – Thank you I’ve just had to google where it was in Matlock as I didn’t realise the factory shop was there, but I know where it is any may go tomorrow. I will have a look where that is in relation to where my brother is (on the edge of Toronto I can’t spell the place haha).

Chrissy – Hope DD’s tesco shop went ok. That would give me the jeebies, glad that you dog scared them off, but does sound suspicious with the lock… Also well done on all the wrapping!!!

Ellie and Kaya – Don’t worry you get used to keeping up. I make myself notes on Word then copy it over when I post. Otherwise if I’m on my phone reading I have to make the odd notes as I can never remember everything!!

Ellie – Enjoy the go karting tomorrow, fingers crossed for no injuries.

Well I did a bit more reading last night. From what I can remember;

omo glad the move went well and lovely to see you post.

free sounds like you did alright with your early visitor

peppa fingers crossed all treatment will be done before christmas x

Princesskitty Hope little one is feeling a bit better.

I purchased some christmas cards the other day, all on offer, as I couldn't find any that took my fancy in the Jan sales. I feel very behind with shopping but we have my goddaughters christening this weekend and I am making the cake and 50 cupcakes so I'm a bit side tracked with that at the moment.
    I did manage to bake my Christmas cake last week and it smelt sooo nice in the kitchen. Noticed the nights are starting to draw in now, which means It's definitely time for my autumn/winter yankee candles to come back out and the summery one to go away.
    Thanks for the anniversary wishes
    Christmas is the most magical time of the year
    • CHRISSYG
    • By CHRISSYG 21st Sep 16, 11:14 AM
    • 5,380 Posts
    • 14,851 Thanks
    CHRISSYG
    Shopping went extremely well , she got what she needed + some prawn pringles lol [she cant pass them up ] She is at the toddler group helping later so i have a little peace.
    • murie
    • By murie 21st Sep 16, 1:20 PM
    • 864 Posts
    • 5,951 Thanks
    murie
    Chrissy that's sounds a bit worrying- I always think dogs are the best alarm systems (even though they are usually more titty la la than we are!) .You DD is coming on a storm nowadays x

Newthrift- I have a gingerbread one burning at the mo- its from Home Bargains £2.99 for a large one like YC. Not as strong as YC but definitely worth £2.99- from the Wickford range.
    lovin' this site!
    • mandco
    • By mandco 21st Sep 16, 1:30 PM
    • 595 Posts
    • 7,727 Thanks
    mandco
    boots are putting out the 3 for 2 xmas stock
    they had some lovely yankee candle bits going to wait and see if they are on then offer first as not all items on the shelves are currently updated with the 3 for 2 .
    They had a lovely polar bear votive holder for £8 and an advent calendar for £20 which I actually prefer the design of
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • princesskitty29
    • By princesskitty29 21st Sep 16, 1:41 PM
    • 803 Posts
    • 10,930 Thanks
    princesskitty29
    Hi all, Wiggle is having a nap so Iíve come for a catch up. He is going to play at the Grandparents this afternoon and DH is taking him and bringing him back so Iím in all afternoon Ė bliss! I have already changed into my comfy clothes! Going to make a nice cuppa in a minute. Iím doing a little bit of Halloween planning at the moment as Iíd like to host a little tea party for Wiggleís friends, I bought some bandage material this morning to wrap around jam jars, then iíll put some wiggly eyes on them so they look like mummies and put LED candles in them. I can then dot them around the house. Although we would have not long moved into our new house (hopefully) so who knows what state weíll be in! On the Christmas front I saw ĎSimply Christmasí magazine in Waitrose that has free cookie cutters and a recipe magazine with it. I didnít buy it as I prefer to wait for the Christmas specials of Prima and Good Housekeeping etc but it could be a good festive read! I have also ordered two Bright Side tins that say ĎGrandadís Goodies Tiní on them, Iíll put some of their favourite biscuits in etc and they can be from Wiggle.

Cherry itís so frustrating when the solicitors drag their heels, I remember when we were selling our house we had to keep reminding our solicitor what stage we were at! They always have so many cases on that no-oneís is important! I hope you get some luck soon.

CHRISSY oh no thatís horrible to think you might have had a prowler, thank goodness for your dog! Well done on wrapping all of your presents!

ellie I hope you have fun go karting, Iíve never done that, I think I would annoy people as Iím a bit of a female James May!

newthrift wow 50 cakes!! Good luck with them.
    Make/do at least one thing a month on my Pinterest boards 5/12
    Cook one new recipe a week - 12/52

Planning Christmas 2016!

Mummy to a beautiful son born 05.08.2014
    • Clumsy42
    • By Clumsy42 21st Sep 16, 2:36 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 1,076 Thanks
    Clumsy42
    Afternoon all!

0462 - Congratulations! All the best for your new job.

CHRISSYG - Well done your dog! How awful though. Hope nothing else happens! xx

I bring news of Xmas products in the Asda Free From section. My little niece is dariy intolerant bless her, so we always have a look at the free from shelves. They had a gingerbread house kit that was dairy free and something else free. It was adorable! There was also xmas puds, cranberry and orange tiffin, and gingerbread men (or they migh have been Father Christmas shaped). Sorry I can't remember what they were all free from but they do have some of them on the website.

Still got my health problem. I'm waiting on my Drs appt next week. Might be getting a bit better anyway?? Touch wood!

Hope those under the weather feel better soon. And hope everything goes smoothly for the house movers!
    ďIn 900 years of time and space, Iíve never met anyone who wasnít importantĒ
    - Eleventh Doctor
    • sammy_kaye18
    • By sammy_kaye18 21st Sep 16, 4:42 PM
    • 2,944 Posts
    • 17,784 Thanks
    sammy_kaye18
    Afternoon All

Well I started slimming world yesterday and nearly cried with the amount I weighed in at - I will get there though and shift some weight - need to feel better about myself and to be fair the weanign myself of junk will be a good thing in the long run as I eat far too much of it - surprising how much you can eat though! Crazy

Also had one of the gus from work acost me in the bus station - we very rarely talk as we only see each other in passing but he said its ridiculous in our store especially with the 3 for 2 starting (in Ar*os) on toys so he had been run off his feet upstairs with another lad Rich - trying to put away 50 boxes of toy delivery as well as filling peoples orders so my shift tomorrow may be an interesting one.....so Im looking forward to that in fairness I probably will as I love it when it is busy there and the christmas period means Im not stood about bored!

Also have a nice weekend off so thats nice. I can actually unwind and catch up on sleep - Im still full of this cold so I have no idea whats going on. Although my !!!!! is in season at the minute and my boy knows it so its been fighting to keep them apart daily! Before you ask - hes too old to neuter (17 years) and she has a medical with her stomach and insides being twisted form a previous pregnancy and because the vets don't know how old she is for definite they wont operate. Needless to say Bruno performs like he did last night and he wont make it to 18 so I wouldnt worry!

Also - need to finish my snow project but forgot to pick something up for them today so will get it done tomorrow.

Hope we are all well - didnt want to pop in and flit out - so will read back and catch up!

x
    Back working and happy in my job
    Now tackling the debts
    Google me >>> Broke A** Mum and The Elastic Chicken
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 21st Sep 16, 4:43 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 1,676 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    Hello everyone, hope you are all well. I am just catching up on the last couple of pages, it's moving along a bit now with all these Christmas sightings online and in the shops. Sainsburys have a few Christmas free from products online and I saw the free from advent calanders in sainsburys the other day. Holland and Barrett had a few free from Christmas products in store and online. I ordered a make your own lipbalm kit for £2.24 and a make your own bath bomb kit which came in a glass jar for £3.99. I thought they were good presents for someone that enjoys crafting.

0462 congratulations about the job, hope it all goes well for you.
    New thrift congratulations on your anniversary can't believe it's been a year already.

This morning A friend has invited me and a few others round for a coffee and a chat at her house tomorrow, I was brought up never to go to someone's house when invited empty handed. So i have made up a hanging vintage button heart as a thank you gift.
    xmas savings 2016 #98 £412.00/ £350

No buying unnecessary toiletries 2016
    • kaya1991
    • By kaya1991 21st Sep 16, 5:01 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 1,367 Thanks
    kaya1991
    mandco - I spotted a few bits in Boots today too! Specifically a few men's giftsets and some little Christmassy babygros. Boots is only two minutes away from my office so I'll be sure to keep you all posted if I see any major developments!

newthrift - Thank you! I'm so keen to pass now so I can stop thinking about it! As I keep saying, I can't wait to pass so I can never drive again, haha!
    • Snorkypants
    • By Snorkypants 21st Sep 16, 5:17 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 695 Thanks
    Snorkypants

Snorkypants, I paid a small fortune for some Christmas tea towels 2 years ago on eBay, imagine my dismay when I went to primark and found exactly the same for a fraction of the price! Definitely worth checking in some of the cheapy stores like B&M etc for these.

Originally posted by FeistyFidget

The Matalan ones are £1.50 each I think, which I thought was ok. I've got to go there at some point to look at a couple of other bits so I'll see if I can resist when they are right in front of me
    Emergency Fund Challenge Member #138 - £260.54/£1000
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 21st Sep 16, 7:08 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 9,844 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Thanks for the Holland and Barrett heads up TREASUREQUEEN, I've ordered two sets of the make your own bath bombs, two of the make your own lip balms and two bath bombs - that's one pressie done and one partly done. I've done collect from store too so no delivery charge.

Thanks VULPIX and MURIE, def feeling calmer after the ranting.

CHRISSEY well done to your DD, she's doing so well. Well done to your dog too - nothing wrong with dumpy terriers

PINKSTEPS loving the pack of wolves image, good old Teddy. Hope you're feeling a bit better than you were.

Ok MURIE I've got to ask - titty la la??? Sounds fab, might have to use that myself.

PRINCESSKITTY I hope you enjoyed your afternoon, it's nice to have some time to yourself when you've got a little one.

CLUMSY hope you're soon feeling much better too.

SAMMYKAYE, def respect to Bruno, 17 and still pining for some action!

Well, when I started this post I definitely had things to share but I can't remember what any of them were! Oh well, I'll pop back on later if they come back to me.
    It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas .....
    Challenges for 2016
    1.Get through my treatment;
    2.Be positive and find something good that's happened every day;
    3.Get out into the open air as much as possible;
    4. Buy a caravan!
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 21st Sep 16, 8:43 PM
    • 2,617 Posts
    • 15,317 Thanks
    nic2075
    Well done on your job 0462. Sounds great.

I'm not long back from Tesco. They have Celebratons, heroes, quality street and roses all bogof. The celebrations and quality street are just £2, so I got a mix of 4 and will put them past for xmas pressies.

They also had a few toys reduced, a Nano hex bug infinity loop down to £6 looked a good pressie.
    • Clumsy42
    • By Clumsy42 21st Sep 16, 8:52 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 1,076 Thanks
    Clumsy42
    Two posts in one day from me? How rare!

Had to come tell you all I've started my Xmas shopping! Had an ebay voucher through (£15 off £30+ spend using their mobile app) so wanted to use it quickly as they dont come along that often! Got an emoji bracelet (with the poop emoji - her fave!) for my 11 year old niece, a pair of cute heart earrings for a friend and some wooden coat hangers to get me over the £30 limit. So I've taken £5 off each present's original price as well as the coat hangers. Love me a discount!

Night all xx
    ďIn 900 years of time and space, Iíve never met anyone who wasnít importantĒ
    - Eleventh Doctor
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 21st Sep 16, 9:18 PM
    • 9,470 Posts
    • 16,892 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    Was just going to mention Boots! I got a Superdry beauty gym set thing and a small box of mini Impulse for my rugby friend for Xmas and a cat mug for my best friend. I really am finished now no more
    What am I letting myself into Proud sponsor of a prop for the 16/17 season- welcome Mr W
    Thrilled and proud to have met my hero 13 and 15/05- thanks Fran!
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky 😢
    Always Team V xx
    • whitesatin
    • By whitesatin 21st Sep 16, 11:27 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 5,631 Thanks
    whitesatin
    I've been looking after two of my grandsons today, as I do every Wednesday. One is 19 months old and the other is 9 months old.

As I already have three other grandchildren, I have a house full of toys which I am enjoying revisiting with the little ones. The nineteen month old is obsessed with trains and tractors and had great fun with my Duplo number train and various other vehicles that we made together. Anyway, I already have his Christmas presents but couldn't resist looking to buy him his own number train to use at home. So, I've just reserved two number trains (one for the little one when he's older) and a first tractor Duplo. With Argos 3 for 2, I was delighted at the price. So, as I'm not going to spend money on more decorations, I figured that it means I can treat the grandchildren and, after all, the toys will be enjoyed now and for a good long while to come. I actually think that Duplo is an investment, I even enjoy playing with it myself, lol.
    • patentgirl
    • By patentgirl 22nd Sep 16, 7:52 AM
    • 841 Posts
    • 11,596 Thanks
    patentgirl
    Can I join in please very behind all of you but determined to be more organised this year not shopping up till Christmas Eve this year!! Already pre warned ny eldest DD that we need to cut down this year as planned retirement at 60 not many years away now !! Presents need to be well thought out finding best bargains so will be looking to you all for ispiration. Already thank you TreasureQueen been online and ordered two bath bomb kits from Holland and Barratt free collection at store for my two nieces so official now I have started my Christmas shopping
    Planning for Christmas 2016
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 22nd Sep 16, 8:36 AM
    • 551 Posts
    • 11,927 Thanks
    vulpix
    Hi Newthrift,Toronto and Banff are easily 1000 miles apart.I worked as a nanny inbetween Toronto and Montreal.Beautiful country,I could live there.

Hi Patentgirl.Everyone will help you out here,welcome.

Vx
    • Snorkypants
    • By Snorkypants 22nd Sep 16, 9:48 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 695 Thanks
    Snorkypants
    Hello everyone, hope you are all well. I am just catching up on the last couple of pages, it's moving along a bit now with all these Christmas sightings online and in the shops. Sainsburys have a few Christmas free from products online and I saw the free from advent calanders in sainsburys the other day. Holland and Barrett had a few free from Christmas products in store and online. I ordered a make your own lipbalm kit for £2.24 and a make your own bath bomb kit which came in a glass jar for £3.99. I thought they were good presents for someone that enjoys crafting.

Originally posted by Treasurequeen

Treasurequeen, thank you so much for the Holland and Barratt heads up - we always help DSS organise a Christmas gift for his Mum and I'd thought about home made bathbombs this year. But, all the kits I found online were £20ish and made tons. This is perfect so thank you! I've ordered one on click and collect so it was very MSE.
    Emergency Fund Challenge Member #138 - £260.54/£1000
    • cbsexec
    • By cbsexec 22nd Sep 16, 10:17 AM
    • 303 Posts
    • 1,651 Thanks
    cbsexec
    Thanks for the info about Holland & Barret - just ordered.
    • Bonfire Bride
    • By Bonfire Bride 22nd Sep 16, 10:24 AM
    • 431 Posts
    • 527 Thanks
    Bonfire Bride
    Hello!

Can I join please? Love Christmas. I have two boys - a 3 year old and an 11 month old and we are also going through the process of selling out house...lots going on. Hopefully will be in for Christmas.

Going to take some of our savings to London in November and get some christmas pressies too. (we are going to celebrate hubbys birthday - kid free)

Usually we spend around £50 on close family members but have to reduce this, this year due to the house sale....so I'm hoping to make them extra special, but less expensive.
    Mummy to 2 little boys
    House on the market for 19 months ....SOLD!
    Natalie
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

203Posts Today

1,709Users online

Martin's Twitter