Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 15, 6:07 PM
    • 986Posts
    • 10,615Thanks
    3forholidays
    * It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year * - It's the 2016 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 15, 6:07 PM
    * It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year * - It's the 2016 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 15 at 6:07 PM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to 3forholidays for creating this fab thread devoted to how to thriftily spend time, rather than cash, on your 2016 festivities. If you're coming from the weekly email, scroll down the first several posts below for a compendium of thrifty Christmas tips.

Back to the original post...

‘It’s the most wonderful time of the year
    With the kids jingle belling
    And everyone telling you be of good cheer
    It’s the most wonderful time of the year’

Hello and welcome to the 5th Christmas Chatter Thread.

This thread is not just about Christmas, but our whole year. We have had many ups and downs, deaths and births but we have all made it through to the end of the last thread and Christmas 2015.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2016!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Pinksteps 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 13-11-2016 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Adding the birthdays
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.
Page 118
    • MoneyMission2015
    • By MoneyMission2015 18th Oct 16, 10:16 AM
    • 621 Posts
    • 3,070 Thanks
    MoneyMission2015
    Been left up to me (the Christmas nut) to plan works Christmas party, which is a royal pain because we don't actually get a budget it's all done off of our own backs, and finding somewhere we can all get to that takes large Christmas booking without an advanced payment is difficult. Being open for business 7 days a week doesn't help either no one wants to work the day after or of the party.
    Ordered OH a stocking filler the other day.
    got my SIL a little something that 2/3 for her, her final gift will just be a bottle of wine which I till get closer to Christmas.
    I really want to get OH a PS4 virtual reality set because he wants one so badly (no idea why there aren't any games he is interested in out for it yet) but it comes to over double the limit we have set to spend on each other.
    I'm doing well to think of gifts this year, usually OH's dad is an issue but we've got that in the basket (not yet bought) this year, its my brother that is an issue, tearing my hair out trying to think of something for him.
    Originally posted by missmoose

My OH looked at the PlayStation VR on the weekend as he does enjoy vide gaming and has all the current consoles, but even he said it's too expensive at the moment and as there are not enough games out for it yet he doesn't see the point in spending the money on it for a while.

My Dad is always the difficult one to buy for. He has everything he needs/wants, never asks for anything and doesn't have a whole lot of hobbies either so very difficult. Whenever I ask him what he wants he just tells us not to buy him anything, but I couldn't just turn up at Christmas with nothing for him!!
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 18th Oct 16, 10:17 AM
    • 586 Posts
    • 12,453 Thanks
    vulpix
    Oh dear,grotty colds and bugs,hope you are all on the mend soon.

Pinksteps,result with the builder.Do you rent your Mum out? I used to have a chocolate lab called Rolo (kids at work named her) my bed was against the wall,she used to push against it to have straight legs and her back against mine.I was clinging on to the edge of the bed!

Peppa,mmmmmmmmmmmmm I WANT a snowglobe.Not seen one yet which I want to buy,probably doesn't exist.I have seen one in the studio catalougue which I like but I want to love it! will have to go to TKMax to see what they have.Whats yours like?

I am hoarding stone lol. You can never have too much.Almost everything in this garden is reclaimed/recycled.I am proud of that.So far it has cost about £150.That includes all materials and plants.Another good day at it and it will be finished.It does have rather an expanse of stone flags I must say,but the space would be a waste of time for a lawn.Not worth getting a mower out.

I haven't started my stocking.I did finish the snow craft so will post pics of all at the same time.I made a bat ornament last night.It's cute,I will get DD1 to post apic along with marmite candle pic as promised.

Free?

Vx
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 18th Oct 16, 10:30 AM
    • 864 Posts
    • 11,529 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Oh no CLUMSY not you too. Hope you're feeling much better soon.
    It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas .....
    Challenges for 2016
    1.Get through my treatment;
    2.Be positive and find something good that's happened every day;
    3.Get out into the open air as much as possible;
    4. Buy a caravan!
    • murie
    • By murie 18th Oct 16, 10:48 AM
    • 923 Posts
    • 6,797 Thanks
    murie
    Hugs to all those who are feeling poorly- its the season to be grotty!

Vulpix - your old lab sounds like my DH!! I am seriously glad that Ruby doesn't sleep on the bed with us- we wouldn't get much sleep at all. She does however decide to wake us up by jumping onto the bed if she decides its time for us to get up- DH and I have to hold on for dear life or we go flying off the sides!

Pinksteps- I thought she might 'own' the bed! Mom has a tiny yorkie who very kindly allows mom to sleep on a small portion of her bed. Seriously the dog is only 13 " long and weighs 5lbs but she takes up all of the bed according to mom. Glad your mom sorted out the builder and that you have had additional works done to rectify the problems.

Peppa- ooh whats in the snowglobe? I love them! John Lewis have a beautiful one that I would love but no way am I going to try to justify £18! I still haven't got a clue about the stocking challenge, may have to give it a miss this month ifI don't get my crafting mojo back soon.
    lovin' this site!
    • pinknfluffy28
    • By pinknfluffy28 18th Oct 16, 12:34 PM
    • 728 Posts
    • 9,380 Thanks
    pinknfluffy28
    Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Sainsbugs toy sale starts tomorrow (19/10).

xx
    It's not about getting what you want, It's about wanting what you get.
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 18th Oct 16, 12:55 PM
    • 2,646 Posts
    • 7,044 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Hope anyone feeling ill gets better soon.

Went into Home Bargains yesterday & they have some lovely Christmas decorations in & not too expensive.

They also had some hamper baskets in for those wanting to make up hampers.

Dxxx
    Debt Free by Xmas 2017 6,186.67/14,523.76
    Saving for Xmas 2017 0/365
    Goal Weight by August 2017 27lbs/84lbs
    Mortgage Savings 2020 0/25,000
    • MoneyMission2015
    • By MoneyMission2015 18th Oct 16, 1:19 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 3,070 Thanks
    MoneyMission2015
    Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Sainsbugs toy sale starts tomorrow (19/10).

xx
    Originally posted by pinknfluffy28

Thanks for reminding me pinknfluffy, I knew about this but it completely went out of my mind today and I was going to order a few things tonight but now I'll wait.

Not much going on today. I had a few Christmas presents ordered & delivered to various stores (M&S, Matalan) which I have picked up now so I have put them in the attic for now. My attic is getting rather full though so I think I need to put my decorations up soon just to make some room up there

I do need to get everything down from the attic really so I can start wrapping some of it & organising it, because at the moment it's just a load of stuff in boxes but some of the stuff I want to put together as hampers, so I need to locate the different bits and get the hampers done. If I can get those put together and wrapped they can then just sit in the attic out of the way. I also need to remind myself what Lego sets I have bought for our youngest, otherwise I'm going to end up with duplicates!
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 18th Oct 16, 4:20 PM
    • 2,745 Posts
    • 31,819 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Afternoon everyone, i am finally back and in the land of the living, it has been a pig of a week and weekend. DD1 had to stay in hospital 4 days, they finally worked out that she had caught the Norovirus bug while visiting the drs surgery last week, so she had one bug on top of the other. Of course me and DS spent most of thursday with her so she wasnt alone and we caught it, both of us with D&V friday morning, so we couldnt visit DD1, we told DD2 to stay away from all of us as i didnt want it going through them 3 as well. And it has just floored me, this afternoon is the first time i have actually felt compus mentis!! DS can go back to work tomorrow and DD1 went back today. So this afternoon i have been disinfecting and deep cleaning anything that people put their hands on. And got a pile of revolting washing still as couldnt call out engineer with all that going on. So fingers crossed tomorrow evening i will have a working washing machine. Today i have ordered all my crackers for cheese in with the shop for christmas and ordered special cards for my lot from moonpig.com. So at least another bit towards christmas done. I hope everyone who has been ill is getting better now and hello to the newbies x
    CURRENTLY READING - THE MAGIC OF CHRISTMAS - TRISHA ASHLEY
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2016 £140
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2016 - £0/£600
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 18th Oct 16, 4:51 PM
    • 2,646 Posts
    • 7,044 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    freespirit66 - Oh that is rubbish you have all been ill. Glad you are all on the mend now.

Dxxx
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 18th Oct 16, 5:15 PM
    • 864 Posts
    • 11,529 Thanks
    Peppapig
    FREE what a rubbish week you've all had - for me there could be nothing worse than vomiting and feeling sick. I do hope you're all fighting fit very soon, sending healing vibes.
    It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas .....
    Challenges for 2016
    1.Get through my treatment;
    2.Be positive and find something good that's happened every day;
    3.Get out into the open air as much as possible;
    4. Buy a caravan!
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 18th Oct 16, 6:21 PM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 15,814 Thanks
    nic2075
    Hugs to everyone feeling rubbish. I'm still feeling meh. Such a sore throat. Been taking tablets, but they aren't helping much.

Glad you are feeling a bit better Freespirit. I'd rather suffer my cold than D&V. Hope you are all past the worst. X

Not sure I will manage the stocking challenge. I have put all my craft stuff away and lost my mojo. I will see how I feel at the weekend.
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 18th Oct 16, 8:24 PM
    • 14,849 Posts
    • 189,660 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Hugs to all the poorlies, I hope you start to feel better soon.
    Welcome to all the new and returning posters in the thread.
    I've spent the afternoon wrapping Christmas gifts as I'm taking them over to my mums tomorrow. So I feel a bit organinsed now.

It's half term here so trying to do some catching up and declittering a bi tip run yesterday and another one planned tomorrow.
    grocery challenge November budget £400 spent £231.76
    SPC~10 No100 : : X2
    read your books challenge-currently on It started with a kiss
    xstitch challenge 63 'mittens' lyric cushion
    16 in 2016 challenge 12/16 stockings
    2016 wooligan stuff - 86 assorted hats, 9,beadbags 10,hedgehogs
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 18th Oct 16, 8:34 PM
    • 2,646 Posts
    • 7,044 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Wow you are organised.

I have bought in & just piled them all up in the wardrobe!

Will do my wrapping when I have everything bought in.

Dxxx
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 18th Oct 16, 8:50 PM
    • 14,849 Posts
    • 189,660 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Just ordered ds1 a Haynes manual guide to surviving the zombie apocalypse off Amazon hadn't seen them before he's a fan of things like that so will be a nice surprise gift.
    Added some daisy perfume for ds2s gf to my list.
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 18th Oct 16, 8:56 PM
    • 2,646 Posts
    • 7,044 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Oh god, I always have the fear of a zombie apocalypse!

Dxxx
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 19th Oct 16, 8:10 AM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 8,096 Thanks
    newthrift
    Free Glad you are all feeling better after a terrible week of being poorly.

I've not scrolled right back through but is the craft theme stocking?
    Also, I remember seeing something about about Chirstmas card exchange and if we were going ahead? I've not idea what or how you do it but I'm in ...if we are doing one.

I'm sure my cold has got worse as last night I had to sleep with two pillows to keep me propped up so I could breath hoping to be on the mend very soon as I've got a ball/gala thing on Friday and it's all fancy/long dresses and could do without sniffling all over the place
    Christmas is the most magical time of the year
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 19th Oct 16, 8:17 AM
    • 14,849 Posts
    • 189,660 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    newthrift the theme for ''tis months craft challenge is stocking.
    Haven't seen if the card exchange is a goer, but I'd also be up for it if we are doing one.
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 19th Oct 16, 8:23 AM
    • 2,646 Posts
    • 7,044 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    I'm not very crafty but I am up for a card exchange!

Dxxx
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 19th Oct 16, 8:54 AM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 8,096 Thanks
    newthrift
    Thanks MrsM
    Christmas is the most magical time of the year
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 19th Oct 16, 10:44 AM
    • 3,151 Posts
    • 13,389 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Just ordered ds1 a Haynes manual guide to surviving the zombie apocalypse off Amazon hadn't seen them before he's a fan of things like that so will be a nice surprise gift.
    Added some daisy perfume for ds2s gf to my list.
    Originally posted by mrs-moneypenny
    Bought one last night in Sainsburys for my mum, Guide to Pensioners!
    Did my LBM in reverseFinally debt free with money in the bank!

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,108Posts Today

6,202Users online

Martin's Twitter