Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 15, 6:07 PM
    • 986Posts
    • 10,622Thanks
    3forholidays
    * It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year * - It's the 2016 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 15, 6:07 PM
    * It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year * - It's the 2016 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 15 at 6:07 PM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to 3forholidays for creating this fab thread devoted to how to thriftily spend time, rather than cash, on your 2016 festivities. If you're coming from the weekly email, scroll down the first several posts below for a compendium of thrifty Christmas tips.

Back to the original post...

‘It’s the most wonderful time of the year
    With the kids jingle belling
    And everyone telling you be of good cheer
    It’s the most wonderful time of the year’

Hello and welcome to the 5th Christmas Chatter Thread.

This thread is not just about Christmas, but our whole year. We have had many ups and downs, deaths and births but we have all made it through to the end of the last thread and Christmas 2015.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2016!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Pinksteps 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 13-11-2016 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Adding the birthdays
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.
Page 117
    • squishylove1989
    • By squishylove1989 15th Oct 16, 7:22 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    squishylove1989
    I've just stumbled across this thread. Although I've been a member of the site for a few years I've never really posted (or paid much attention) to the forums! I've been working my way through posts over the last few days and have lost several hours lurking so hopefully you'll be hearing more from me.

I love this time of year. I know for some the dark nights are miserable but I love curling up in front of the fire with the hubby, fur baby and reading a good book with some hot chocolate. I am behind on my Christmas prep this year but feel decidedly calm about it...we'll see if that continues when November hits.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi to you all
    • missmoose
    • By missmoose 15th Oct 16, 7:57 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    missmoose
    Sounds like everyone is coming down with something or other, hope you all get better soon.

Don't know how I've managed to do it but I've got my OH to agree to watch home alone with me tonight after a "bad day at work" don't know how I've managed that as he has a serious case of scrooge-itus
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 15th Oct 16, 8:02 PM
    • 3,152 Posts
    • 13,399 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Welcome to the Newbies, hope you don't find us too insane!

Poppa, Free, Clumsy, hope you and yours are feeling better.

Sammy, sounds as if your son has an element of middle child syndrome, tough that dad is showing preference to older son, but with a mum like you, he will come through.

046, glad job has taken a positive turn.

Went to see Shawshank Redemption last night, stage version. It was fantastic. Had a horrible journey back, had to pick up M23 only to have one of the roads I had to take closed because of an accident. Called my friend who directed me to the next junctions, only to find the slip road closed! It was a nightmare, an area I don't know, roads closed. Eventually found my way to Gatwick & picked up motorway from there. It took 2 hours to do what on a bad day takes 1. I needed my bed when I got in! Sadly a young man was killed in the accident & my friend discovered this afternoon that he had gone to school with her daughter. Hearing news like that puts my journey back into perspective. It's my dad's anniversary tomorrow & the only positive thing I could say to the family is that it is near enough to Christmas to get the first one over but far enough to be able to get through it.

Going to feed cakes tomorrow for last time, wrap them, add labels & that's another job done. Hopefully will get some wrapping done also & maybe get the cards written. Not really that far to go now, so I hope to be finished 1st week in Nov(I live in hope!), that way I can get involved in things & not stress.
    Did my LBM in reverseFinally debt free with money in the bank!

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 15th Oct 16, 10:58 PM
    • 866 Posts
    • 11,562 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Welcome to the festive thread SQUISHYLOVE, glad you've managed to find us.

GTQ it puts things in oersoective doesn't it. It's scary when you're in an area you don't know as well. In those situations I find myself thinking that I may be delayed now but if I'd been in that spot a little bit earlier I might have been involved and be a lot worse. Strangely enough I think I might have saved a life or two today. Driving out of the next village to us on the way to babysit the littlies, some stupid idiot (and that's not what I was calling him at the time) shot up behind me at speed in a 30 mph limit, didn't slow down but overtook me on a blind bend and nearly hit an oncoming vehicle head on. Fortunately I saw him in my mirror, realised what he was going to do and braked or I swear he'd never have been able to pull in in time. The poor couple in the oncoming car were stunned. I just hope when the idiot does eventually kill himself he doesn't take anyone else with him.
    It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas .....
    Challenges for 2016
    1.Get through my treatment;
    2.Be positive and find something good that's happened every day;
    3.Get out into the open air as much as possible;
    4. Buy a caravan!
    • Pinksteps
    • By Pinksteps 16th Oct 16, 10:24 AM
    • 523 Posts
    • 8,087 Thanks
    Pinksteps
    Morning
    Well long story cut short, Friday we had guttering replaced at the front of the house after ages waiting, last night whilst watching tv my bedroom bay window part of the ceiling is now on the floor. Lucky it happened then as its where Teds dog bed is (not that she sleeps there). It wasn't even raining that heavy but it all poured in. So today is a clear out before the chap comes back tomorrow. My 83 year old mum is going to be here to take him on, god help him! But even as she pointed out, when my dad was alive and was in the trade he always tested guttering with a few buckets of water before leaving.
    What's the saying, It never rains but it pours, never truer words said
    Happy Sunday xx
    When I go I'm going like Elsie

When My Bra Matches My Pants I Feel Like I Have Really Got My Sh!t Together
    • murie
    • By murie 16th Oct 16, 10:32 AM
    • 927 Posts
    • 6,824 Thanks
    murie
    Welcome Squishylove (love your user name lol!)
    GTQ- its a shame your lovely night out was marred by the journey, but as Peppa says, things happening like that put everything else into perspective don't they? I know Im guilty of moaning about the small things when others are having it much worse than me.
    Peppa- yup sounds like you inadvertently did the people in the other car a good turn, I absolutely hate idiots on the road, makes me wonder how some people get their driving licence in the first place. How are you feeling now btw? Hope you had a lovely time babysitting and that you were pleasantly tired rather than wiped out.

I cant remember what everyone else has said and I know if I click off this page to have a look back I will lose this post! So I hope everyone is having a good weekend and are feeling nice and festive! Oh and from what I DO remember has been said, I reckon that between us we must have cleared the shelves of the ginger bread candles at Home Bargains! Im onto burning my second one now!
    lovin' this site!
    • murie
    • By murie 16th Oct 16, 10:36 AM
    • 927 Posts
    • 6,824 Thanks
    murie
    Pinksteps- oh flippin heck! At least you and teddy weren't hurt! Sounds like your mom is equal to the task of sorting the cowboy out though lol!
    (Let me guess- Teddy sleeps on 2/3rds of your bed?!)
    lovin' this site!
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 17th Oct 16, 10:32 AM
    • 3,152 Posts
    • 13,399 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Nothing to say really, but can't let the thread go 24 hours without a post and I am only just getting in there
    Did my LBM in reverseFinally debt free with money in the bank!

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 17th Oct 16, 11:02 AM
    • 588 Posts
    • 12,465 Thanks
    vulpix
    Quite agree GTQ.

We went Southport yesterday.Most pleasant it was too.Beautiful ice cream and long walk.I also bought some after eights for the not to be opened till Christmas cupboard.

Peppa, the reason i didn't see your xmas decs in B&M was because i was in Home Bargains! Doh,been to B&M and restrained myself from buying antything.I DO NOT NEED CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS.I could decorate the whole street with what i have.

Bought more stone slabs from eebay to finish the garden.Will try to do it before we go away next week.

Gotta crack on now and do some cleaning and cake making.Friends coming round later.

Yikes Pinksteps.set your Mum on em!

Vx

PS hello new joiners,hope to hear more from you soon.
    Last edited by vulpix; 17-10-2016 at 11:06 AM. Reason: internet crash
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 17th Oct 16, 11:55 AM
    • 866 Posts
    • 11,562 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Hooray, I've started my stocking challenge! Couldn't get all the bits I wanted for it so have made some instead. Getting on quite well so fingers crossed it stays that way.

Got all my pressies for birthdays and Christmas except for a mug from Cath Kidston and an Old Spice body spray and something for my mum for Christmas. We're risking a digital photo frame for her birthday even though my sis and I will end up down there every day sorting it out! Was going to do biscuits or chocolate for Christmas but her blood sugar is now high so that puts a stop to that. She's so difficult to buy for because she doesn't really like anything, doesn't want skin stuff, bath stuff, clothes or ornaments. She does do jigsaws but only 500 piece ones and may well have gone off them too by Christmas! Oh and I need some bits for DH but that'll be clothes. I think this is the earliest I've ever finished. Just need to stop looking at things now or I'll end up with pressies I don't need for people I don't have oh I do need to get some nice bits for the oncology people and my GP but that should be easy.

Feeling ok thanks MURIE, a bit wobbly today but nothing unexpected. Sitting with the littlies for a while this afternoon while DD goes to parents evening/afternoon but DH will be there so he can do the playing.

VULPIX I hope you're not hoarding slabs lol. I think I need to get the decks out soon and have a look at what I've actually got. I did have a cull last year but I think I'm making up for it!

PINKSTEPS hope it's all going well, go Mum!!
    Challenges for 2016
    4. Buy a caravan!
    • missmoose
    • By missmoose 17th Oct 16, 1:12 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    missmoose
    Been left up to me (the Christmas nut) to plan works Christmas party, which is a royal pain because we don't actually get a budget it's all done off of our own backs, and finding somewhere we can all get to that takes large Christmas booking without an advanced payment is difficult. Being open for business 7 days a week doesn't help either no one wants to work the day after or of the party.
    Ordered OH a stocking filler the other day.
    got my SIL a little something that 2/3 for her, her final gift will just be a bottle of wine which I till get closer to Christmas.
    I really want to get OH a PS4 virtual reality set because he wants one so badly (no idea why there aren't any games he is interested in out for it yet) but it comes to over double the limit we have set to spend on each other.
    I'm doing well to think of gifts this year, usually OH's dad is an issue but we've got that in the basket (not yet bought) this year, its my brother that is an issue, tearing my hair out trying to think of something for him.
    • squishylove1989
    • By squishylove1989 17th Oct 16, 5:14 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    squishylove1989
    Missmoose I always have trouble with my brother too. Doing him a gardening hamper this year as he has discovered a love of gardening! Hope you manage to get the Christmas Party sorted.

Peppapig what is the stocking challenge? Would love to hear more.
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 17th Oct 16, 6:52 PM
    • 866 Posts
    • 11,562 Thanks
    Peppapig
    SQUISHYLOVE it's just something we started on here a few months back. Each month 0462 sets us a challenge and we do some craft related activity associated with it. The first month the theme was Jingle Bells, then last month it was Snow, this month it's Stocking. Then at the end of the month we post a pic of what we've made. Not everyone does it and you don't have to do it every month but it's a bit of fun and you end up with something you can use or display at Christmas. If you go back to the end of the last few months you'll see the pics from previous efforts. Do join in if you fancy it but no pressure if you don't.🎄❄️⛄️☃️🎅🏻
    Challenges for 2016
    4. Buy a caravan!
    • squishylove1989
    • By squishylove1989 17th Oct 16, 7:38 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    squishylove1989
    Ah what a cool idea PeppaPig! Certainly going to join in with that one I think. Gonna take a scroll back and find the pics
    • Gwendolyn
    • By Gwendolyn 17th Oct 16, 8:57 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 642 Thanks
    Gwendolyn
    I visited Hb and bought the stag candle holder and a candle. Also got a few bits for birthday presents too and some chocs.
    I'm afraid I sinned big time and bought a snow globe online. It was £15 (ouch). No more decorations now. That's it.
    Also got some biscuits in a petrol pump style tin for my boys' stockings.

I'm getting worried about the cost of Christmas again. I've still got about 5 people to buy for, plus my three children's main presents and OH.
    • Pinksteps
    • By Pinksteps 17th Oct 16, 9:14 PM
    • 523 Posts
    • 8,087 Thanks
    Pinksteps
    Pinksteps- oh flippin heck! At least you and teddy weren't hurt! Sounds like your mom is equal to the task of sorting the cowboy out though lol!
    (Let me guess- Teddy sleeps on 2/3rds of your bed?!)
    Originally posted by murie
    It's her bed, she lets me sleep on the edge, well that's what it feels like. I made the mistake years ago putting her bed on the bottom of mine, now every night her bed is dragged onto the floor and she claims mine and to be honest I wouldn't have it any other way.

So, building work has been completed, he even renewed the bay top and sealed it, put a down pipe in and he filled some holes in the wall which was causing damp with no extra charge on top of the price of the renewed gutturing. Only done because I think my 83 year old mother put the fear of God into him. Now a relax before catching up on everything.
    When I go I'm going like Elsie

When My Bra Matches My Pants I Feel Like I Have Really Got My Sh!t Together
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 17th Oct 16, 9:54 PM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 15,822 Thanks
    nic2075
    Evening,
    Feeling a bit sorry for myslef today. Ive had the flaming cold for 3/4 weeks now. It came to a head over a week ago and I felt awful for a few days. Then last week it was a headache, now it's a sore throat. Feels like I'm swallowing glass! It's like its just lingering and coming and going. Usually i get a cold and it's gone in a week.

In good news, I finished my house, it is like a new pin. All the rubbish is gone (15 bin bags, a desk, a kids table, baby car seats, old printer all to the dump, 3 charity shop bags and 1 to my nephew) the house feels lighter and ready for Christmas lol. We are still undecided but we think it will be here. My sisters just aren't sure if they are invited to their Inlaws etc. I have the space and have been saving up my Tesco vouchers all year to pay for the food.

I had a notion to watch some old films. Not exactly xmas ones, but have christmas time in them. My DD loves sitting down to watch old films with me, so I ordered Meet me in St Louis, By the light of the silvery moon, On moonlight bay and Holiday inn. Got them off EBay for under £2 each. They are ones I loved watching with my Mum when we were younger.
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 18th Oct 16, 6:17 AM
    • 1,157 Posts
    • 8,097 Thanks
    newthrift
    Morning
    Life has been a little busy but I've been reading back on what I missed, although please don't ask me to remember it all haha.
    I've come down with a cold, well the sniffles. I mainly feel ok but blocked up :@ which is frustrating! Not sure where I've picked it up from though.
    DH was away Saturday night so I had my pjs on and sorted through the Christmas presents. I know what I need to get now, and I'm further along than first thought although still plenty to do.
    Nic well done on having a good sort out, always feels good to rid some stuff that is cluttering up space. Hope your cold finally budges this week to.
    Pinksteps that's what mothers are for

I'm still lay in bed with no lights on and it's so dark, just listening to the rain really coming down now. Autumn/winter is most defiantly upon us!
    Christmas is the most magical time of the year
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 18th Oct 16, 7:15 AM
    • 866 Posts
    • 11,562 Thanks
    Peppapig
    GWENDOLYN don't worry you're not alone, I bought a snow globe from TKMaxx the other day. I didn't need one but I do love snow globes.

PINKSTEPS your mum is amazing! So glad it's all sorted, on with the plastering now.

NIC and NEWTHRIFT sorry you're both under the weather, the season of colds is on it's way. Pouring with rain here too this morning. don't forget those flu jabs peeps.
    Challenges for 2016
    4. Buy a caravan!
    • Clumsy42
    • By Clumsy42 18th Oct 16, 9:06 AM
    • 94 Posts
    • 1,468 Thanks
    Clumsy42
    Morning all!

Still ill. Thought I was on the mend but feel worse again this morning. Looks like I'm not the only one too! Hope we're all feeling better soon. xxx

Need to write my Christmas list. My mum says if she doesn't get them before the end of October we won't be gettting any presents.

Thought I might have a go at drawing some designs for my planned papercut baubles today. If I don't feel too bad.
    “In 900 years of time and space, I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important”
    - Eleventh Doctor
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

272Posts Today

2,299Users online

Martin's Twitter