Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 15, 6:07 PM
    • 986Posts
    • 10,619Thanks
    3forholidays
    * It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year * - It's the 2016 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 15, 6:07 PM
    * It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year * - It's the 2016 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 15 at 6:07 PM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to 3forholidays for creating this fab thread devoted to how to thriftily spend time, rather than cash, on your 2016 festivities. If you're coming from the weekly email, scroll down the first several posts below for a compendium of thrifty Christmas tips.

Back to the original post...

‘It’s the most wonderful time of the year
    With the kids jingle belling
    And everyone telling you be of good cheer
    It’s the most wonderful time of the year’

Hello and welcome to the 5th Christmas Chatter Thread.

This thread is not just about Christmas, but our whole year. We have had many ups and downs, deaths and births but we have all made it through to the end of the last thread and Christmas 2015.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2016!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Pinksteps 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 13-11-2016 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Adding the birthdays
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.
Page 116
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 13th Oct 16, 8:25 PM
    • 864 Posts
    • 11,538 Thanks
    Peppapig
    SAMMYKAYE that's so sad that his Dad favours his other son but good that his grandad has obviously taken a real interest in him. Dads and sons, it's a minefield. Hope things improve over time or Dad is going to miss out on so much.

FREE poor DD and poor you. Hope she's home now, or soon, and is feeling better. You must be exhausted, especially with your fibro.

MRSTINKS I bought two of those crates a few weeks ago and now I'm not doing the hampers/beer pressie I thought I was so I'll save them for use during the year.
    It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas .....
    Challenges for 2016
    1.Get through my treatment;
    2.Be positive and find something good that's happened every day;
    3.Get out into the open air as much as possible;
    4. Buy a caravan!
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 13th Oct 16, 10:54 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 12,458 Thanks
    vulpix
    O my goodness,I go away for 5 minutes...

Free,your poor daughter.I do hope she is home soon.Look after yourself too x

Same for everyone else who is under the weather.

Clumsy I like the sound of your dress,and too much cake,impossible!

Peppa I went in HB today and never saw those hurricane glasses.They are lovely.Mind you I was rushing to get to a hospital appointment.

I did get Mr V a small R2D2 toy from HB and some cashews for his stocking.He has actually had an idea of what he would like for Christmas.A power pack for all electrical devices and will even jump start a car.He saw them advertised when we were in Canada.

Just been talking to my son.They have been to Jasper for a couple of days and drove back in a blizzard.-7 for them last night.I think my freezer is less than that!

I also got some matchmakers and rosemary crackers to put away.

I must make a food list and start ticking bits off as I get them each week.I must also find out if my Brother and family will be joining us on Christmas day.They had us last year when we had no kitchen.

I am getting excited now.I love the run up to Christmas.

Vx
    • Gwendolyn
    • By Gwendolyn 14th Oct 16, 1:56 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 642 Thanks
    Gwendolyn
    I have been looking for one of the those lovely tins of biscuits. I think M&S did some very pretty musical ones last year. But I haven't seen any yet. Am I just too early?
    • missmoose
    • By missmoose 14th Oct 16, 2:24 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    missmoose
    Gwendolyn Sainsburys has some tartan tins of biscuits with a little dome or snow globe type thing on at the minute that has a scotty dog in it they look very cute.
    Vulpix would love to have it that cold here right now, very jealous of your son in Canada
    I got some of those gingerbread candles from HB oh my word they smell gorgeous. I also got some mini candy canes that I'm either going to put in gift bags with gifts for all those under 20 im getting gifts for or make into little chocolate candy cane lolly pops, I might go back and get more and do both yet. found a £25 Amazon gift card hiding in an old purse so I'm going to look for some toys to get my niece this afternoon. No idea what small children like these days. Think her mum is sick of us feeding her play dough obsession
    Last edited by missmoose; 15-10-2016 at 11:21 AM. Reason: spelling/grahmmer
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 14th Oct 16, 3:28 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 2,310 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    I have been looking for one of the those lovely tins of biscuits. I think M&S did some very pretty musical ones last year. But I haven't seen any yet. Am I just too early?
    Originally posted by Gwendolyn
    I went into my local m&s and they had just started putting the tins of biscuits out. They have a lovely one where you could record your own message on it. They also we're putting out the musical ones, one of the woman that worked there said that they didn't get the stock until last week. So they are a bit late putting it all out.
    No buying unnecessary toiletries 2016
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 14th Oct 16, 3:43 PM
    • 864 Posts
    • 11,538 Thanks
    Peppapig
    I'm burning one of the Home Bargains gingerbread candles right now while I'm wrapping some pressies and it smells lovely, much better than the Yankee candles do these days and at a fifth of the price. Definitely going to get more.
    Challenges for 2016
    4. Buy a caravan!
    • sammy_kaye18
    • By sammy_kaye18 14th Oct 16, 4:28 PM
    • 2,961 Posts
    • 17,973 Thanks
    sammy_kaye18
    I feel good today.

Son came home with his report card and all of them said good, very good or excellent so Im happy with that.

I also went Xmas shopping - the kids get given book tokens each year and we never know what to do with them so I went to WHSmiths today armed with £30 of vouchers and our local store is only small so I used £17.

I managed to get
    A Maths Key Stage 3 book to help my son
    A Maths book for my daughter ages 6-7
    A pack of 24 sharpies in various colours that was meant to be £18 but I had it for £7.99 - my son loves using them for his graffiti/art drawing
    A Manga colouring book
    And a Street Sketch pad

I still have £12.03 to use in vouchers

I also have an All4One voucher to use but I need to look up where I can use that first!

Also started on Hubby and brought some American Jack Daniels BBQ sauces - one is Honey Smokehouse, One is Traditional Number 7 and the other is Spicy BBQ - they did cost a bit each but I figure I will put them in a hamper together with some other weird JD bits and pieces for him and thats him almost done besides his main present which hes yet to decide on!

Also got son a T~shirt - he hasnt asked for much for Christmas because he knows its me who pays for it all - top of his list is a bike but he has chosen a few clothes he'd like from Peacocks and I managed to find one of them today - it was £8 so I will be picking up a few clothing bits and pieces as and when I can.

So I am feeling more positive today about Xmas :-)

Also stood and chopped more of the foraged apples last night and have filled a bag with apple chunks and cinnamon ready for pies and crumble - that's now two in the freezer and I still have a carrier bag to go! Also watching a bigger stand alone freezer on Ebay which may be my gift to myself. it will make life so much easier as well.

On a lighter subject - I am now on TWD season 3 :-) I have 10 days to get through 4 series!
    Back working and happy in my job
    ....Working on becoming Me ....
    • DomRavioli
    • By DomRavioli 14th Oct 16, 6:33 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 4,759 Thanks
    DomRavioli
    I feel good today.

Son came home with his report card and all of them said good, very good or excellent so Im happy with that.

I also went Xmas shopping - the kids get given book tokens each year and we never know what to do with them so I went to WHSmiths today armed with £30 of vouchers and our local store is only small so I used £17.

I managed to get
    A Maths Key Stage 3 book to help my son
    A Maths book for my daughter ages 6-7
    A pack of 24 sharpies in various colours that was meant to be £18 but I had it for £7.99 - my son loves using them for his graffiti/art drawing
    A Manga colouring book
    And a Street Sketch pad

I still have £12.03 to use in vouchers

I also have an All4One voucher to use but I need to look up where I can use that first!

Also started on Hubby and brought some American Jack Daniels BBQ sauces - one is Honey Smokehouse, One is Traditional Number 7 and the other is Spicy BBQ - they did cost a bit each but I figure I will put them in a hamper together with some other weird JD bits and pieces for him and thats him almost done besides his main present which hes yet to decide on!

Also got son a T~shirt - he hasnt asked for much for Christmas because he knows its me who pays for it all - top of his list is a bike but he has chosen a few clothes he'd like from Peacocks and I managed to find one of them today - it was £8 so I will be picking up a few clothing bits and pieces as and when I can.

So I am feeling more positive today about Xmas :-)

Also stood and chopped more of the foraged apples last night and have filled a bag with apple chunks and cinnamon ready for pies and crumble - that's now two in the freezer and I still have a carrier bag to go! Also watching a bigger stand alone freezer on Ebay which may be my gift to myself. it will make life so much easier as well.

On a lighter subject - I am now on TWD season 3 :-) I have 10 days to get through 4 series!
    Originally posted by sammy_kaye18
    Where did you get the Jack Daniels bits from? Ta!
    Observe, Adapt, Overcome.
    SPC 2015 #497
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 14th Oct 16, 7:33 PM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 15,818 Thanks
    nic2075
    I'm burning one of the Home Bargains gingerbread candles right now while I'm wrapping some pressies and it smells lovely, much better than the Yankee candles do these days and at a fifth of the price. Definitely going to get more.
    Originally posted by Peppapig
    They're lovely aren't they? Ive always been a bit of a candle snob and love Yankee and avoid cheap ones as I hate fake sickly smells. Or expect them to burn wonky or not smell. But these ones are delicious. I'm also currently burning one just now so it smells nice later when I'm watching a Christmas film
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 14th Oct 16, 7:37 PM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 15,818 Thanks
    nic2075
    I had my land lady turn up at the door letting me know it was nearly time for the yearly Inspection. I had been ignoring her phone calls yesterday so was unprepared when she appeared at the door. The whole house is tophy turvy, so I will mainly be spending my weekend ironing!
    This is the landlady who's comment was ' ooh you have a lot of stuff'! Cheeky mare. My house isn't overly cluttered, it's lived in and happy lol.
    • Clumsy42
    • By Clumsy42 14th Oct 16, 7:40 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 1,466 Thanks
    Clumsy42
    Evening all.

I feel pretty awful. Think I'm coming down with the cold/virus going round my family. Sat here with a sore throat and shivering like mad. Joy.

We went shopping today (before I started feeling really ill!) for graduation outfits. I went with a long list and only came back with one thing. Typical.

That one thing was fillable baubles from Hobbycraft to put papercuts in. So not even graduation related!

I'm off to feel sorry for myself. Sorry if there's any typos or it doesn't make sense. Brainfog + virus = me not making any sense.
    “In 900 years of time and space, I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important”
    - Eleventh Doctor
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 14th Oct 16, 7:58 PM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 15,818 Thanks
    nic2075
    Anyone got any nice traditional advent calendar suggestions? The kids have a stocking bunting one that the elves leave sweets in each morning, so usually I get them a tradional one with pics too. We have had theAlison gardener one previously and last year some cheap ones, that were good, but ended up all 3 had the same pictures. They preferred having different and seeing what each other got.
    I like ones with snowy Christmas scenes, or gingerbread houses or Santa scenes. They have had nativity ones in the past, but wanted something different this year.
    Ive had a look on Amazon, but I'm not overly Impressed this year x
    • By 04624181 14th Oct 16, 8:18 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 4,292 Thanks
    OMG guys! I have missed you lot. Have been trying to keep up but failed miserably.

Free- hope your DD is ok xx
    Peppa- Glad your last chemo went well x
    nic2075- I have got beauty advent calenders for myself and DD from wilkos, £5 each.
    Clumsy42- hope you feel better soon
    Sammy kay- sounds like some good bargains, hope everything is ok with your son
    Vulpix- I too got my matchmakers to put away. Beginning to feel like christmas now

Hello to newbies, welcome to the christmas crazy thread.

Well the job news is I am now loving it. Had a fantastic week last week and am really enjoying it. Cannot believe the change. Dont get me wrong there are still a few issues but the kids are fab!
    Managed to pick up some stocking shapes mugs for the kids north pole breakfast from a stall in Bury. They are too cute. Got some sweet/chocolate treats for the kids christmas selection bag i make them. Also got son Flash season 1 and 2 for christmas. Thats another present done for him. Got dd a couple of dvds too. all in all a good day.
    Hope everybody is ok, hugs to those who need them xx
    • CHRISSYG
    • By CHRISSYG 15th Oct 16, 5:54 AM
    • 5,467 Posts
    • 15,466 Thanks
    CHRISSYG
    Morning all,
    I finally managed to get DD's ESA completed and i have learnt that i am incapable of writing only in capitals ! I'm sure they will get over it . The biggest issue was trying to get all the supporting evidence into the piddling little envelope they supplied , but i managed and there's so much sellotape on it , it may take them a while to get into it .

DD has had this cold thats going around for over 2 weeks now everytime you think its getting better it takes a turn for the worse.

The Sanctuary spa advent calendar came its colossal but she is looking forward to opening it.

Well better go got to be at work for 7am.
    • Gwendolyn
    • By Gwendolyn 15th Oct 16, 9:05 AM
    • 72 Posts
    • 642 Thanks
    Gwendolyn
    Anyone got any nice traditional advent calendar suggestions? The kids have a stocking bunting one that the elves leave sweets in each morning, so usually I get them a tradional one with pics too. We have had theAlison gardener one previously and last year some cheap ones, that were good, but ended up all 3 had the same pictures. They preferred having different and seeing what each other got.
    I like ones with snowy Christmas scenes, or gingerbread houses or Santa scenes. They have had nativity ones in the past, but wanted something different this year.
    Ive had a look on Amazon, but I'm not overly Impressed this year x
    Originally posted by nic2075

I would try Waterstones. They have a large selection in my local large sized store. I believe they have quite a few online and many are traditional.
    • Gwendolyn
    • By Gwendolyn 15th Oct 16, 9:27 AM
    • 72 Posts
    • 642 Thanks
    Gwendolyn
    Clumsy - I do hope you feel better soon.

Free - hope your daughter is OK now. Sounds very scary.

Chrissy - well done on completing the ESA - sounds like a marathon effort.

Sammykaye - sounds like you did really well with those vouchers. There's no need to spend all in one go just because they are "free" money.

Peppa - you have inspired me to go to HB on Monday.

I am feeling very un-Christmassy right now. I think it will all seem a bit more real once Halloween is over. I expect the shops are holding back until the start of November before getting all their goodies out.

I have cleared over half my list of presents so only another 20 or so to go. I must buy the bath bomb ingredients at some point but there are so many recipes with different lists - I'm stuck on the Epsom salts debate.

I also must get fabric for DD's mermaid tail. But again I'm procrastinating - this time on colour.

The big debate is where we will be for Christmas. This is our first one without my mum and dad's only stipulation is it won't be at his. I have been diplomatic and said if my sister wants it at hers we'll go there (even though we'd rather host.) Her house is not the largest and there would be a minimum of 12. If we host we may hit 20.

But the longer she takes in deciding, the less likely we are to see the other side of the family. I have even suggested that sis can bring her MIL here because that was worrying her.
    • By 04624181 15th Oct 16, 9:51 AM
    • 381 Posts
    • 4,292 Thanks
    Morning all,
    Need to find a dvd I have put in a safe place(LOST!) so will be gutting the house.

Chrissyg- Hope DD feels better soon, these colds seem to be nasty at the moment.
    Gwendolyn- I too am not feeling as christmassy as usual, I do feel that the stores have watered it down this year, almost as if it is not as big as usual. I keep thinking that there is plenty of time to sort things out but its 10 weeks away. Going to try and book something for us to do on christmas eve. Trying to get in the christmas spirit

Hope everybody is ok xx Im still looking for the right thing for my christmas stocking craft. How is everybody else doing?
    • nextyeartina
    • By nextyeartina 15th Oct 16, 4:05 PM
    • 689 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    nextyeartina

Sending hugs to all those that need them.

Went into town to do a bit of Christmas shopping yesterday. Didn't get as much done as I'd hoped as William & Kate were there so waited with the huge crowd to get a glimpse

Had pretty bad anxiety last night due to my mind going into overdrive about Christmas. I've got the kids main presents thankfully.

Went back into town today and managed a bit more. Bought daughter what I thought was a unicorn onesie. Realised on the train home it was a triceratops onesie . What happened there?!

I hope you're all having a good day

Tina x
    The £1,000 emergency fund challenge #163 - £536.16/£1000
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 15th Oct 16, 6:58 PM
    • 864 Posts
    • 11,538 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Got my idea all ready for the stocking challenge 0462 so hopefully will get the items I need tomorrow at the dolls house fair and can get on with it next week. I will not be late this month! Hope you found the DVD.

GWENDOLYN sorry you're not feeling festive but I'm sure it'll come. I normally lose the festive vibe a bit in December but it always come back. Def worth a trip to Home Bargains, burning the gingerbread candle is definitely making me feel festive.

CHRISSEY well done on finishing the ESA application, that's enough to drain anyone!

CLUMSY hope you're soon feeling much better.

SAMMYKAYE well done to your DS on his report.

NEXTYEARTINA sorry to hear about the anxiety but hope you got a good look at Wills and Kate!

Been babysitting for DGSs this afternoon now my sister has taken over for the evening shift.DD and DSIL have gone to London to see Micky Flanagan. My sister bought me a little candle holder with special sister on it and an apple and cinnamon candle, made me feel quite emotional.

Chilling this evening then dolls house fair tomorrow if all goes well. Raining quite heavily here at the moment but I've got the fairy lights on, the candle burning and feeling tired but good.

Happy weekend everyone.
    Challenges for 2016
    4. Buy a caravan!
    • nextyeartina
    • By nextyeartina 15th Oct 16, 7:13 PM
    • 689 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    nextyeartina
    Peppapig - that sounds so cosy. Love being inside all cosy when the weather's like that
    The £1,000 emergency fund challenge #163 - £536.16/£1000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,245Posts Today

5,869Users online

Martin's Twitter