Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 15, 6:07 PM
    • 986Posts
    • 10,623Thanks
    3forholidays
    * It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year * - It's the 2016 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 15, 6:07 PM
    * It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year * - It's the 2016 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 15 at 6:07 PM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to 3forholidays for creating this fab thread devoted to how to thriftily spend time, rather than cash, on your 2016 festivities. If you're coming from the weekly email, scroll down the first several posts below for a compendium of thrifty Christmas tips.

Back to the original post...

‘It’s the most wonderful time of the year
    With the kids jingle belling
    And everyone telling you be of good cheer
    It’s the most wonderful time of the year’

Hello and welcome to the 5th Christmas Chatter Thread.

This thread is not just about Christmas, but our whole year. We have had many ups and downs, deaths and births but we have all made it through to the end of the last thread and Christmas 2015.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2016!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Pinksteps 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 13-11-2016 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Adding the birthdays
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.
Page 115
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 13th Oct 16, 11:32 AM
    • 2,650 Posts
    • 7,049 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    MoneyMission2015 - People in work have been looking at me like I have horns because I am organised! Won't be that when I am calm in December & they are all running around crazy in the shops

99% of the gifts I have have all been on the sale or bought through an online deal

Aw poor you, I feel a bit heavy around the head aswell hoping it doesn't come to much, I am off to Dublin with the girls on Saturday morning.

Dxxx
    Debt Free by Xmas 2017 6,186.67/14,523.76
    Saving for Xmas 2017 0/365
    Goal Weight by August 2017 27lbs/84lbs
    Mortgage Savings 2020 0/25,000
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 13th Oct 16, 11:36 AM
    • 2,650 Posts
    • 7,049 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    murie - I hate when the pressies start getting too big to hide.

I remember one Christmas when I was younger my Mum made me hide a hi-fi system saying it was for my cousin & not to show anyone. I hid this in my room & on Christmas morning I unwrap my main Christmas present & it was the very thing I had been hiding myself for weeks

Dxxx
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 13th Oct 16, 11:40 AM
    • 2,650 Posts
    • 7,049 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    nic2075 - The weather is lovely in Glasgow too. Much prefer winter!

I hate stuff like that too, always try & wait till DH has time then get it all cleared out.

That was a great find, I'm never really in Tesco these days none close enough to me.

We all do the same at this time of year, I went to Matalan to pick up something I had ordered online for the work's birthday club & left with 2 Christmas tea towels, 2 Christmas mugs & about 6 new decorations!

It's too hard to resist.

Dxxx
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 13th Oct 16, 11:43 AM
    • 2,650 Posts
    • 7,049 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Aw peppapig that's a nightmare, I'm usually quite good at checking that stuff but sometimes you get home & see the wrong size & your like aaaaaargh

So annoying.

Enjoy your rummage around the bargain shops, I will be doing that tomorrow with my Mum. It's our wee Friday tradition!

Dxxx
    • Pinksteps
    • By Pinksteps 13th Oct 16, 11:45 AM
    • 523 Posts
    • 8,087 Thanks
    Pinksteps
    . I sniff my one quite a bit but then I just love the smell of leather. Just read that sentence back and it sounds much weirder than I meant it too

Happy Thursday everyone.
    Originally posted by Peppapig

I snorted my coffee everywhere reading that, now I have to change again before my visit to the dentist. I'm glad I know what you were talking about
    When I go I'm going like Elsie

When My Bra Matches My Pants I Feel Like I Have Really Got My Sh!t Together
    • Snorkypants
    • By Snorkypants 13th Oct 16, 11:55 AM
    • 88 Posts
    • 881 Thanks
    Snorkypants
    Hi All, Sorry I've been quiet but I haven't really been doing anything Christmassy the last week or so. But yesterday I did have a latte with gingerbread syrup and that made me feel festive and I friend and I have made a date to go to the Rochester Christmas market, at the start of December. So that should be fun.

And I also like the smell of leather and have been know to sniff my leather handbag
    Emergency Fund Challenge Member #138 - £1000/£1000
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 13th Oct 16, 12:10 PM
    • 2,750 Posts
    • 31,873 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Morning everyone (just) well this week is not getting any better i havent had time to sort the washing machine as yesterday i was at a & e from 10.30am til 8.30pm last night with DD1 this bug just suddenly got worse in the night before and she was so ill, when she phoned her dr she told us to go to a & e, it was a bl**dy nightmare they are so slow at getting things done and sorted, we thought DD1 was feeling better then she ate a sandwich they gave her and it all started again, they think it is something picked up when she was snorkelling in the Red Sea, at least because she might be infectious she had her own room. Then they decided to keep her in so i am just waiting to hear if she can come home today, yesterday has just wrung me out so i am sitting on my sofa and am going to catch up with GBBO.

PEPPAPIG glad no 10 went well, the letter you have decorated is gorgeous your DGD will love it. I am starting on my christmas reading today as i finished Trisha Ashleys Wedding Tiers last night, i am going to start with her christmas book from last year A Christmas Cracker

PINKSTEPS yayy to your mum spoiling you, you deserve it, how lovely you both found the handbag together, i hope you enjoy it!

MURIE haha i had to laugh at the present size again!

PRINCESSKITTY glad your new house move is all going smoothly, how lovely not to have to pack!!

SAMMY_KAYE glad your DS was told it was all negative

CURRENTLY READING - THE MAGIC OF CHRISTMAS - TRISHA ASHLEY
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2016 £140
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2016 - £0/£600
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 13th Oct 16, 12:50 PM
    • 2,650 Posts
    • 7,049 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    snorkypants - Plenty of time to get in the festive spirit. Your date to the Christmas Markets will be fab!

freespirit66 - Sorry to hear about your DD1, hope she gets better & gets home.

Dxxx
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 13th Oct 16, 2:50 PM
    • 14,573 Posts
    • 22,042 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    Poundland now has some christmas stock in including the little wooden crates which I think will be perfect for mini hampers this year I walked out with 4 of the 6 in our local one LOL (I didn't go in for christmas stuff! I wanted some travel bits which they didn't have but they did have these which I'd been waiting for LOL)
    DFW Nerd #025
    SPC member #561
    Sept 2016 - £10811 Oct £10166 to clear Cleared Since Sept 16:£645 6% repaid Declutter 25 items in November target: 0/25 Make £10 extra a day in November: £57/£150
    • Clumsy42
    • By Clumsy42 13th Oct 16, 2:53 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 1,468 Thanks
    Clumsy42
    Hello everyone. Feel like I haven't been on in ages!

Free
    - Hope your daughter feels better soon. Can't be much fun stuck in hospital.

Graduation dress hunt update - Sent for a couple of dresses online. They arrived yesterday and one of them I am definitely keeping! It's a lovely blue dress with swallows on it. Very flattering shape too with actual pockets! So if I don't find anything else even better I'll be wearing that one.

We had afternoon tea out for my sister's early birthday treat yesterday. Soooo much cake! We had to bring a lot of it home!

Going shopping tomorrow for graduation related bits but I'm sure Christmas presents wont be far from my mind.
    “In 900 years of time and space, I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important”
    - Eleventh Doctor
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 13th Oct 16, 2:53 PM
    • 14,573 Posts
    • 22,042 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    I snorted my coffee everywhere reading that, now I have to change again before my visit to the dentist. I'm glad I know what you were talking about
    Originally posted by Pinksteps
    Hope it goes well - I went this morning and am now £55 and a tooth lighter... at least it won't risk being an issue when I go on holiday next week I guess!

It was a wisdom tooth which had some damage and frankly it needed to come out but I really am quite attached to my teeth so I hung in there for too long... *sigh* ah well it's sorted now!
    DFW Nerd #025
    SPC member #561
    Sept 2016 - £10811 Oct £10166 to clear Cleared Since Sept 16:£645 6% repaid Declutter 25 items in November target: 0/25 Make £10 extra a day in November: £57/£150
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 13th Oct 16, 2:53 PM
    • 867 Posts
    • 11,576 Thanks
    Peppapig
    How stupid do I feel? Having taken the sweatshirt back to Primark they didn't have any in the 18mths to 2 years size so I was telling the sales assistant about the one I bought not being the size it said on the hanger, got it out of the bag and it was the right size! No idea what I thought I saw yesterday. I'm blaming the chemo although my age and not having my glasses on are probably the actual cause! Really glad I've got the right one though.

Had a fab mooch round Home Bargains - spent £44, who spends £44 in Home Bargains . Mind you, I got some lovely stag hurricane vases that will look fab with fake candles or tea lights in, plus three of the big jar candles recommended on here (2 gingerbread and 1 vanilla) can't wait to light them. Also bought some fluffy, sparkly socks for when I'm relaxing in my pjs and I've got enough stuff to finish all the charity gifts plus one DGS so I'm really happy right now.
    It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas .....
    Challenges for 2016
    1.Get through my treatment;
    2.Be positive and find something good that's happened every day;
    3.Get out into the open air as much as possible;
    4. Buy a caravan!
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 13th Oct 16, 2:57 PM
    • 867 Posts
    • 11,576 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Sorry about the last minute change of clothes PINKSTEPS Good luck at the dentist.
    Challenges for 2016
    4. Buy a caravan!
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 13th Oct 16, 3:00 PM
    • 2,650 Posts
    • 7,049 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    MrsTinks - I will need to pop into Poundland to have a wee look at them tomorrow.

Clumsy42 - I love dresses with pockets & afternoon tea!

Peppapig - Main thing is you got the top in the size you want. I could easily spend 44.00 in Home Bargains, I love that shop! I really like the sound of these stag hurricane vases, will need to keep an eye out tomorrow.

Dxxx
    • MoneyMission2015
    • By MoneyMission2015 13th Oct 16, 3:13 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 3,070 Thanks
    MoneyMission2015
    How stupid do I feel? Having taken the sweatshirt back to Primark they didn't have any in the 18mths to 2 years size so I was telling the sales assistant about the one I bought not being the size it said on the hanger, got it out of the bag and it was the right size! No idea what I thought I saw yesterday. I'm blaming the chemo although my age and not having my glasses on are probably the actual cause! Really glad I've got the right one though.

Originally posted by Peppapig
    This made me laugh Peppa, what a pain to have made a trip to return it but it be the right size after all that! It reminds me of a time I went to Tesco and paid for something using the automated till. I put my £20 note in, took my change and went back to work. When I got to my desk I noticed the amount on the receipt and thought the machine had not given me the correct change. I rang the store and was in the middle of complaining to the lady when I suddenly noticed the total amount of my shopping wasn't £5.50 but was actually £15.50 (don't know why I thought it would be so cheap anyway). I was too embarassed to just say to the lady that i had made a mistake so I pretended that my phone was breaking up and I couldn't hear her, then I hung up!!

I love Home Bargains. I haven't had chance to go there in a while though so will have to make an effort to get there soon before all the best things sell out. I used to work quite close to one so would often pop in at lunch time for a browse but we moved premises late last year so I'm nowhere near it now.

Freespirit - Sorry to hear about your daughter, I hope she is feeling better soon and is allowed home. You are having a rough time at the moment : (

DollyR - I get some of my parcels delivered to our office and every time any package comes in, even if it's not for me, everybody assumes automatically that it's one of my Christmas purchases. I have people asking me all the time how many days it is until Christmas and we've now started discussing when we will be putting the office tree up.

MrsTinks - I like the sound of these crates, I will have to try & get in to look at them.

Clumsy - Dresses with pockets are the best
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 13th Oct 16, 3:18 PM
    • 2,650 Posts
    • 7,049 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    MoneyMission2015 - That's brilliant. We decorate 1 December in the office usually & that's when I will put my tree up at home too.

So excited.

Dxxx
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 13th Oct 16, 3:36 PM
    • 867 Posts
    • 11,576 Thanks
    Peppapig
    These are the stag hurricane glasses. These are the smaller size although still about 8 inches - £2.99 each, what a bargain. They had bigger ones too, they were either £3.99 or £4.99.

Can you tell I've finally got the hang of posting pics lol?
    Challenges for 2016
    4. Buy a caravan!
    • Pinksteps
    • By Pinksteps 13th Oct 16, 3:41 PM
    • 523 Posts
    • 8,087 Thanks
    Pinksteps
    Dolly the handbag is a quirky CathK one.

Well back from the dentist, only 2 more appointments to go. The fresh air did do me good though.

So, the builder called last night, his other job has overrun so he will be coming tomorrow, looking at the weather now I don't think he will be here as it looks like rain and he's doing the guttering, we will see.

Free any update with your daughter yet? xx
    When I go I'm going like Elsie

When My Bra Matches My Pants I Feel Like I Have Really Got My Sh!t Together
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 13th Oct 16, 3:41 PM
    • 14,573 Posts
    • 22,042 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    These are the crates - they are meant for beer bottles but I can see them fitting lots of mixed stuff in them!

http://www.poundland.co.uk/wooden-beer-crate-for-6-bottles
    DFW Nerd #025
    SPC member #561
    • sammy_kaye18
    • By sammy_kaye18 13th Oct 16, 5:58 PM
    • 2,961 Posts
    • 17,973 Thanks
    sammy_kaye18
    Well not much done on the Xmas front today.

Side note - Well think I have finally gotten through to my son - he has been with my mother in law most of today because I was in work but he has had a talking to from me and her and I think hes ok now. I honestly think its a bit of a cry for attention from his dad.... I live with his father but they are not close for some reason.....but today he asked his grandad for help with science homework and circuits and he took the time to really explain to him and give him one to one attention and now Ben has come away saying how interesting it was and that he likes spending time with his grandad.....his grandad even rigged up a circuit to show him as well..........so I think he may be his new homework buddy if mummy is stuck.

I just wish he'd talk to his father but that's a bit like mixing oil and water! my son refers to me, his sister and himself as the 3 musketeers and it doesn't look like its about to change any time soon sadly because his father only seems interested in his eldest boy :-(

His dad said yesterday too he isn't to have his iPhone for his Christmas present because of his antics the last few days.......hes not a bad kid or naughty hes just easily led I think. We'll see.......

Anyway plan for tomorrow - is to sit and do some more of my tablecloth for my nan......my Daryl love has taken over slightly so I think I need to sit and focus on it or it will be the second year I have procrastinated about it

Also tomorrow I am going to make a definite plan for the stocking challenge, and get that started as well as sorting the old clothes out to start making doll clothes - my hours are starting to up in work now so days off will become few and far between soon!

Right off to make tea now.
    Back working and happy in my job
    ....Working on becoming Me ....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,724Posts Today

8,460Users online

Martin's Twitter