Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 15, 6:07 PM
    • 986Posts
    • 10,623Thanks
    3forholidays
    * It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year * - It's the 2016 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 15, 6:07 PM
    * It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year * - It's the 2016 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 15 at 6:07 PM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to 3forholidays for creating this fab thread devoted to how to thriftily spend time, rather than cash, on your 2016 festivities. If you're coming from the weekly email, scroll down the first several posts below for a compendium of thrifty Christmas tips.

Back to the original post...

‘It’s the most wonderful time of the year
    With the kids jingle belling
    And everyone telling you be of good cheer
    It’s the most wonderful time of the year’

Hello and welcome to the 5th Christmas Chatter Thread.

This thread is not just about Christmas, but our whole year. We have had many ups and downs, deaths and births but we have all made it through to the end of the last thread and Christmas 2015.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2016!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Pinksteps 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 13-11-2016 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Adding the birthdays
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.
Page 114
    • DomRavioli
    • By DomRavioli 12th Oct 16, 3:40 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 4,766 Thanks
    DomRavioli
    Afternoon all!

Glad to know I'm not the only one with a tiny kitchen. Ours is straight from 1975, tan and taupe tiles and has been there for at least 35 years. Brown cupboards...eww.

Finished a few more knitted patches for my niece's blanket (started it when she was born, and it will grow with her as she does), managed to get out of the OH what he want's for xmas, but not his birthday - his b'day is 25th november so an absolute nightmare! Started the big party prep (we have a xmas party for the youth club I run, usually around 60 people!), done some snowman soups and started the pots of gold, only a million other things - but I started early so hopefully will have time for a full time job, uni, anxiety, family, birthdays and christmas. Oh and therapy!

Hope everyone is having a good day.

And had a look at the M&S sale but at work so couldn't look properly. Might tell my mum as she's moving to warmer climes in a few months (canaries)
    Observe, Adapt, Overcome.
    SPC 2015 #497
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 12th Oct 16, 3:57 PM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 7,052 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    DomRavioli - Our kitchen is a horrid colour too, we have an okay amount of space but the layout is terrible!

I love the idea of the knitted blanket for your neice.

You are right if you start preparing now it will make that party so much easier for you.

Dxxx
    Debt Free by Xmas 2017 6,186.67/14,523.76
    Saving for Xmas 2017 0/365
    Goal Weight by August 2017 27lbs/84lbs
    Mortgage Savings 2020 0/25,000
    • sammy_kaye18
    • By sammy_kaye18 12th Oct 16, 5:01 PM
    • 2,961 Posts
    • 17,973 Thanks
    sammy_kaye18
    Hey sammy-kaye18 - wow you have been busy! Sorry to hear your Son has been ill, hope he is well on the mend now.

I have stuff in the house I could likely sell on ebay but just need to find the time to dig it out & list it.

Will need to keep an eye out in Home Bargains for the candles, I love a Christmas candle. Did pick up some of the cinnamon & spiced apple ones but you can never have too many.

Love the sound of the motorbike show, DH wants to get his licence so is currently saving up for it. Might try & take him to one of the shows he would love that!

We are going Christmas shopping in Chester then off to stay over in Manchester for the Christmas markets in December - cannot wait!!

Also another one who can't wait for The Walking Dead, think I am in love with Daryl Dixon

Dxxx
    Originally posted by Dolly Rocker

Oh Dolly you are most definitely a girl after my own heart - Daryl is just perfect! But dont tell my husband that!

Yes the scents on the Christmas candles are lovely in Home Bargains - I will have a look in B&M too - I did see their Halloween ones but I wasn't fussed on the scents of them - I prefer a gentler smell!

My son is on the mend although has come home today and has been expelled for the day - im not sure what has changed in school but I think he is finding his feet as a teenager so I will be nipping that in the bum quickly! Hes only expelled for a day and will be on report but I think I have put the fear of god up him now and made it very clear that this year is the last chance he has to get his levels up or his teachers will be choosing his options for him.....

The NEC in Brimingham is a good show and there is always lots of new bikes and offers on there as well as stunt shows and bike reveals. We love it.

My dad is in Chester - he loves the Xmas markets - I will get there one day but for me seeing Hereford Cathedral all lit up is just simply stunning on a cold December night :-)
    Back working and happy in my job
    ....Working on becoming Me ....
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 12th Oct 16, 5:07 PM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 7,052 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Don't tell mine either!

Hope you can get through to your Son, it's hard. I think back to when I was a teenager & I thought I knew it all. Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it.

Sounds fab, we love going away for a wee break in December so might need to try & make it down to Hereford one year.

Dxxx
    • sammy_kaye18
    • By sammy_kaye18 12th Oct 16, 5:30 PM
    • 2,961 Posts
    • 17,973 Thanks
    sammy_kaye18
    Don't tell mine either!

Hope you can get through to your Son, it's hard. I think back to when I was a teenager & I thought I knew it all. Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it.

Sounds fab, we love going away for a wee break in December so might need to try & make it down to Hereford one year.

Dxxx
    Originally posted by Dolly Rocker
    I think I have gotten my point across quite nicely with my son now......I told his father and he has said to leave it to me - hes away in Worchester and can be quite frustrating because he shouts first and asks questions later....I have a more tactful approach

Daughter has decided shes freezing but eating everything in sight - where do 6 year olds put it all?

Ive been up since 4am to see my husband off today so managed to watch 3 episodes this morning - no spoilers though im only on season 2! but I can feel a few more episodes before bed will be needed
    Back working and happy in my job
    ....Working on becoming Me ....
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 12th Oct 16, 5:45 PM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 7,052 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    No spoilers from me.

Glad to hear it, I would say tactful works better.

You will be super sleepy after being up at that time.

Dxxx
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 12th Oct 16, 6:10 PM
    • 867 Posts
    • 11,589 Thanks
    Peppapig
    I watched Moonlight and Mistletoe on True Christmas at 5 this morning - was lovely and made me feel very festive. Read a nice Christmas book in my four and a half hours T chemo yesterday, it was Sleigh Bells in the Snow by Sarah Morgan and was a good read. A couple of weeks ago I started to read Dashing Through the Snow by Debbie Macomber but I found it so predictable and annoying that I gave up. It's a shame because I also bought another one if hers but don't think I'll bother with that one. I'd happily pass all three onto someone if they wanted them but they'd cost £2.85 to post and I'm not sure they're worth it.

PRINCESSKITTY thanks for the info, I think it sounds great, it's the packing that I find so stressful. We actually went to view a bungalow today, it's part of a pub that's been converted. It's in a conservation area and grade II listed but as it's basically a new house inside you wouldn't really want to make any alterations anyway. I don't think we've got a hope of getting it because there's lots of interest and we haven't even got ours on the market yet but it might just have given DH the push to decide whether he wants to move or not! I'd move tomorrow but then I'm always like that. I bet you're so excited about your move, I'm jealous.

DOLLYROCKER you can join the challenge - we have a theme each month (set by 0462) and you just have to craft something on that theme then we reveal what we've done at the end of the month. It can be any craft and you only join in if you want to.

MONEYMISSION I bought the letters on eBay, they're Mdf so I painted them in two coats of cream satinwood (because that's what I had in the cupboard). I can send you the link if you pm me. You can get papier-mâch! letters in Hobbycraft cheaper but they're a square shape and I wanted a more flowing font.

SAMMYKAYE that's great news about your son's results. I'm liking the sound of the Home Bargains candles so will try and get over there tomorrow and get some.
    Last edited by Peppapig; 12-10-2016 at 6:12 PM.
    It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas .....
    Challenges for 2016
    1.Get through my treatment;
    2.Be positive and find something good that's happened every day;
    3.Get out into the open air as much as possible;
    4. Buy a caravan!
    • patentgirl
    • By patentgirl 12th Oct 16, 8:23 PM
    • 851 Posts
    • 11,744 Thanks
    patentgirl
    Evening everyone well after your warm welcome few weeks ago have been so busy with life in general plus weeks holiday to Cornwall fallen behind again no more presents brought and so behind with thread will try and catch up now. Getting worried well into October and only couple presents brought need to get busy.
    Peppapig I love a Christmas film too need to watch one soon. Love your letters might have to have ago myself thanks for inspiration
    Money mission2015 totally agree about boots catalogue very disappointed with it.
    Planning for Christmas 2016
    • Pinksteps
    • By Pinksteps 12th Oct 16, 8:24 PM
    • 523 Posts
    • 8,088 Thanks
    Pinksteps
    Hi, thanks for all messages and chats. I'm okay, just caught up with all the news. Very tired and a tad immobile but I need to get myself back in Christmas mode.
    Well today was interesting, I managed to go shopping with my own personal shopper, sort of. I sat at home with darling Peppa on messenger trawling through the net to find me a new handbag. It worked and between us I have a much wanted bag winging its way to me. So thank you Peppa , you really are the Christmas fairy finding time for others.
    Builder called tonight, his job has overrun and he will now be here Friday not tomorrow. Well I've waited long enough, another day won't make much difference.
    Mother has treated me to some Christmas bits at the CK outlet too, for no reason, just some cheery up gifts so I'm feeling very spoilt.
    Now to finish watching GBBO
    When I go I'm going like Elsie

When My Bra Matches My Pants I Feel Like I Have Really Got My Sh!t Together
    • missmoose
    • By missmoose 12th Oct 16, 8:46 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    missmoose
    Hiya, been reading though this thread I got to page 6 and couldn't resist posting.

Peppapig hope your chemo goes well hun.
    Everyone thinks I'm mad to be starting Christmas shopping so soon. But I made my OH look for things for his friend as they always get each other little something for birthdays etc and he found something on Amazon that was bogof for the weekend so he ordered himself one too, and then it said could take upto 4 weeks to dispatch so I've gone from crazy lady to genius that's saved money and ensured it will be here on time ��
    Anyone got any christmasey activity ideas for either me and my OH or me and my friend and her sister 5 and my niece 3 to do (we're going to take them to a garden centre near by because last year they had reindears and Santa. And I've skating with OH. I want loads of activities this year to keep me occupied.
    Amazon have some bargain christmas DVD's atm even Elf is less than £5 of anyone is interested in them.
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 12th Oct 16, 9:57 PM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 7,052 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    patentgirl - hope you enjoyed your holiday. You still have time to get organised.

Start with a list, that always helps me!

Dxxx
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 12th Oct 16, 10:00 PM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 7,052 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    peppapig - my crafting skills are not good! It will be nice to see your efforts though.

I haven't go any Christmas books, will maybe see if I can get any on my kindle.

Dxxx
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 12th Oct 16, 10:04 PM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 7,052 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Pinksteps - Which handbag did you go for then? I had a rummage through my handbag drawer & found on that was gifted to me last Christmas from a lady in work as I drive her to work & back on a Sunday. I am going to re-gift this one to my neice for Christmas as I haven't used it.

Ah that was nice of your Mum.

Just catching up on GBBO, not the best thing to watch when I am on a diet!

Dxxx
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 12th Oct 16, 10:08 PM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 7,052 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    missmoose - That is great, good when you get a bargain & also get the OH on board with the whole planning in advance for Christmas. My DH thinks that starting a week before Christmas is acceptable!

We are going to some Christmas fayres, a craft one in October (tickets on Itison) & the ideal home show one in November (tickets also on Itison) I love stuff like that so festive & can get some good deals or ideas for gifts.

I love Elf!

Also happy they are bringing out Bad Santa 2.

Dxxx
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 12th Oct 16, 10:09 PM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 7,052 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Heyyyy,

Not much else to report from me today, I managed to sneak DH's Lego Caterham that I got delivered to work into the wardrobe, just need to hope he doesn't go snooping! It's like having a child sometimes I swear

Dxxx
    • murie
    • By murie 13th Oct 16, 9:01 AM
    • 930 Posts
    • 6,867 Thanks
    murie
    Sammy kaye that is fantastic news about your sons results x

Welcome Missimoose- you're not mad- you're Christmas savvy!

Dolly Rocker - my DH is the same too, thinks that's what Christmas eve is for- shopping!

Peppa- glad the chemo went OK, nearly there! Erm- you didn't mention you have a new career as a virtual personal shopper mapped out??! That initial is lovely, it is a really pretty font and oh so Cath -eqsue for a little girl. I haven't even got a solid plan for the stocking challenge yet so you will deffo beat me this month!

Pink- bum that you are not as perky as you would like to be but yay a new handbag?! That's number one treat in my books (with shoes coming second and nail polish third!)

Well I have gone and done it again! I asked DD's ex what he would like for Christmas and he said he would like some accessories to use on his vlog, mics, lights etc. So after trawling through ebay and various other sites I came across a studio set that has everything in it (he confirmed it is just what he wants and would love it). I got it for £56 and used £20 survey monies so that was a bargain . BUT it was delivered yesterday and it is mahoosive!!! (Pizza oven strikes again!!) Lord knows where I am going to put it in the run up to Christmas and it is mega heavy into the bargain. Why do I do these things .......?
    lovin' this site!
    • MoneyMission2015
    • By MoneyMission2015 13th Oct 16, 11:13 AM
    • 621 Posts
    • 3,070 Thanks
    MoneyMission2015
    Another Daryl fan here, there's just something about him! I can't wait for the new series of Walking Dead to start.

Thanks Peppa, I will PM you shortly.

Hi missmoose - we're all Christmas crazy here & I don't care if people think i'm mad starting my shopping earlier because I just love it so much! Plus I don't have all the stress in December trying to think of gifts and battling through all the crowds. I also save loads of money because around this time loads of shops have sales and other offers, particularly online, but then in December prices start to creep back up and most of the offers disappear so anybody shopping in December ends up paying more money for the same stuff. Now that's mad!

I am full up with a cold at the moment so feeling very sorry for myself. I'm in work today but just want to go home and watch Christmas movies.
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 13th Oct 16, 11:17 AM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 15,823 Thanks
    nic2075
    Morning, such a lovely sunny day today. I think I'll need to it the grass, hopefully for the last time this year. My house is still a bit upside down from the clear out. I was doing well, and kept going and now im at a standstill. And loads of bags needing to go to the dump, but that's a job I hate (got a nail in my tyre last time!).

Peppa- glad your chemo ŵent well. the end is in sight. I love the button letter, very pretty.

I'm feeling a bit silly. Last night I was in a big Tesco and spotted the wee Tsum Tsum toys that were down to 75p per pack instead of £3.00. The kids didn't have any and often thought they were cute, but I refused to buy them as they are expensive. So as a reward for being well behaved at their aunts and while we did some errands yesterday, I said I'd buy them a couple each. We cleared the shelf. They love them and now I'm kicking myself for not putting them past for stockings! I Didn't think they would like them that much. And I was just excited to spot the bargain.
    I don't usually reward them with toys, but my DS had made a big effort to be good. I had told him thanks and that he had made me happy yesterday(no shouting at all, for a change). But thought these were nice to give them something to collect and hopefully play together with. Just wished id kept them for xmas

I also went to home bargains last night while DS is at his guitar lessons. I got another big gingerbread candle as I'm really impressed how my first one has burned and smelled all the way down. So I want another for December and they only had a few of that kind on the shelf. I also bought a little clay gingerbread house with candy canes on it. It's very cute. It also lights up. It's quite simple, but the clay makes it look almost edible. Will see if I can find links for them online. So much for me not buying many xmas decs this year
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 13th Oct 16, 11:22 AM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 15,823 Thanks
    nic2075
    Another walking dead and Daryl fan hear. Can't wait for it to start back up. I have been watching the spin off, Fear the walking dead. It was a bit of a slow starter, but series 2 is very good. It's kept me going while waiting for TWD to start again.

Ive also been watching Outlander. I loved all the books. So I'm happy how well it has been done on screen. But I have the hots for Jamie. I have a soft spot for topless men with kilts :-)

I watched the Christmas wish on True Christmas the other morning. The one with Dougie Howser ( can't remember his real name lol) it was good, but I had to go out before end. Hoping to catch it again. I like how they are all suitable for the family my DD (11) is a christmas nut too and loves watching them with me.
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 13th Oct 16, 11:29 AM
    • 867 Posts
    • 11,589 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Ha ha, MURIE you def have the knack of finding oversized pressies. would it fit on top of the pizza oven? I was originally going to make some gingerbread or shortbread Christmas stockings for the challenge but thank goodness I had inspiration at about the same time I remembered how rubbish I am at baking and cooking in general.

PINKSTEPS that was a lovely thing to say, I don't think I was that much help but it was fun hunting it down and I can't wait for it to get to you. I sniff my one quite a bit but then I just love the smell of leather. Just read that sentence back and it sounds much weirder than I meant it too

Welcome MISSIMOOSE, nobody here will think you're odd for shopping early, some of us have been shopping all year lol.

Well after picking up the wrong size sweatshirt (right hanger but not right item on it) in Asda the other day and getting a refund, I then went to Primark and found when I got home that exactly the same thing had happened again! Guess where I'm going today?! To soften the blow though I'm also going to Home Bargains for a rummage, hoping to finish off some of the Christmas day dinner gifts for SDD's church's guests.

Happy Thursday everyone.
    It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas .....
    Challenges for 2016
    1.Get through my treatment;
    2.Be positive and find something good that's happened every day;
    3.Get out into the open air as much as possible;
    4. Buy a caravan!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,356Posts Today

7,054Users online

Martin's Twitter