Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 15, 6:07 PM
    • 986Posts
    • 10,624Thanks
    3forholidays
    * It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year * - It's the 2016 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 15, 6:07 PM
    * It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year * - It's the 2016 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 15 at 6:07 PM
    Official MSE Insert:

Thanks to 3forholidays for creating this fab thread devoted to how to thriftily spend time, rather than cash, on your 2016 festivities. If you're coming from the weekly email, scroll down the first several posts below for a compendium of thrifty Christmas tips.

Back to the original post...

‘It’s the most wonderful time of the year
    With the kids jingle belling
    And everyone telling you be of good cheer
    It’s the most wonderful time of the year’

Hello and welcome to the 5th Christmas Chatter Thread.

This thread is not just about Christmas, but our whole year. We have had many ups and downs, deaths and births but we have all made it through to the end of the last thread and Christmas 2015.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2016!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Pinksteps 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 13-11-2016 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Adding the birthdays
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.
Page 113
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 11th Oct 16, 2:40 PM
    • 3,156 Posts
    • 13,413 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    We have a two and a half drawer freezer, and a kitchen that is literally 8 feet by 8 feet! I don't think I'd get the carrots in lol
    Originally posted by DomRavioli
    Same size kitchen as mine, hate it being that small! My biggest bugbear in my kitchen (I rent) is that the landlord put in new kitchen, good size fridge/freezer, so no complaints there, but only ONE drawer, it drives me nuts as all of the "big" cooking/baking requisites have to be in jars on counter Why is it that only women think logically?
    Did my LBM in reverseFinally debt free with money in the bank!

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
    • DomRavioli
    • By DomRavioli 11th Oct 16, 3:36 PM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 4,772 Thanks
    DomRavioli
    Same size kitchen as mine, hate it being that small! My biggest bugbear in my kitchen (I rent) is that the landlord put in new kitchen, good size fridge/freezer, so no complaints there, but only ONE drawer, it drives me nuts as all of the "big" cooking/baking requisites have to be in jars on counter Why is it that only women think logically?
    Originally posted by Gettingtherequickly
    We inherited our kitchen last year - its an absolute nightmare! three drawers (two of them the fronts fall off!), two wall cupboards (not a clue why only two!) and the weirdest layout. Another 6 months and a wall is coming down and I will have a decent kitchen (hopefully!), and I have so many things on my worktops it is unreal - I can't even put my toaster away.
    Observe, Adapt, Overcome.
    SPC 2015 #497
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 11th Oct 16, 4:03 PM
    • 3,156 Posts
    • 13,413 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    ), and I have so many things on my worktops it is unreal - I can't even put my toaster away.
    Originally posted by DomRavioli
    Yep, that is my kitchen, nice to know that I am not the only one

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 11th Oct 16, 7:26 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 8,113 Thanks
    newthrift
    Helloooo I have had such a lovely holiday and although most people say 'It's nice to be back'...not here, I could of stayed on holiday for a bit longer hahaa! We only went to Yorkshire, but it was lovely and such a nice time staying with our friends in a lodge.

I haven't caught up yet, but I will have a skim through just to catch up and find out what the craft theme is for this month.

Christmas related I have brought a couple more bits and have a better list for what I am getting others. And I am very excited to say I finally have a new Christmas tree for this year When we first moved out 5 years ago we got a 5ft £10 tree from Wilko's which to be fair I make a nice job of, but I always wanted a fuller lovelier tree (you know the ones that are like £200+++ and look amazing). Well....On a sell it/swop it page a women I know who works at a fancy garden center is selling one for £50 which she has had for a couple of years and really looked after, when she purchased it was over £250 (I asked a friend who worked with her) and i'm going to collect it tomorrow, so so excited, can't wait to get it up in December!!

Anyway, hugs to those in need, hello to any newbies, congrats where appropriate, see you all soon once I have had a little read
    Christmas is the most magical time of the year
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 11th Oct 16, 10:24 PM
    • 2,752 Posts
    • 31,901 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Evening everyone, i have had a right day of it, the washing machine keeps tripping the electrics for some reason, we have checked the fuse in the socket but it doesnt seem to be that so now at a loss and will have to get someone out, which i cant afford atm, grrrr!!! I havent done much today just a bit on my wedding planner course and reading the Boots christmas book, there doesnt seem to be as much in it as previous years i thought, i still circled a few things though!!

PEPPAPIG i hope the chemo went well today my lovely x
    CURRENTLY READING - THE MAGIC OF CHRISTMAS - TRISHA ASHLEY
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2016 £140
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2016 - £0/£600
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • murie
    • By murie 12th Oct 16, 6:23 AM
    • 932 Posts
    • 6,905 Thanks
    murie
    Morning all

Peppa- hope all went OK yesterday x
    Newthrift- that tree sounds lovely, glad you had a fab time away.
    GTQ and Dom Ravioli- my lil Sis has a tiny kitchen too and is always saying how much she would like this or that but doesn't have the space for it. On the plus side it does mean that she doesn't get boring Christmas and birthday gifts tho so every cloud and all that.....lol.
    Pinksteps- all OK?
    Princess kitty - are you bursting with excitement ?
    Sammy-kaye- hope all is OK xx
    Free- Oh that's bad news about the electrics, never rains when it pours does it? I hope its something simple and not costly xx. I agree, the Boots catalogue is a bit measly, mines gone straight in the recycling bin- usually I keep it on one side to keep going back through but not this time.
    lovin' this site!
    • FeistyFidget
    • By FeistyFidget 12th Oct 16, 7:22 AM
    • 1,353 Posts
    • 18,038 Thanks
    FeistyFidget
    I've just lost my post

Will try and pop back later!
    Officially Debt Free (Besides Mortgage) - Since 14/09/2014

2015 Challenges
    Stop making life harder for myself. Stop aiming for perfection, it doesn't exist. Enjoy the little things
    • princesskitty29
    • By princesskitty29 12th Oct 16, 7:25 AM
    • 814 Posts
    • 11,126 Thanks
    princesskitty29
    Hi all, we had an induction meeting at our new house yesterday and got to see it finished so that was really lovely. 2 days to go! We get the keys on Friday but we aren’t actually moving in until Tuesday. We have a snagger going in on Saturday so we wanted it to be empty for that plus it costs more to move at the weekend so they’re coming in to pack Monday and we move Tuesday. This time next week we’ll be waking up in our house for the first time! I can’t wait!

I had a bonus the other day, I ordered two tops from Tesco online and when they arrived there was two of one of the tops instead of one. I actually emailed Tesco to let them know (my husband said I was crazy as it was their mistake and I’m sure lots of people would feel the same but it made me feel better) and I got a phone call to say normally they would ask that it’s dropped off at one of their stores but because we shop with them a lot I can keep it! We do an online shop with them every week so have spent a fortune with them over the years! I know this sounds a bit tight but I’m planning to give it to my friend for Christmas. It is a wrap and I think she’d really like it, does that make me sound a bit cheap? I wouldn’t give it to her if I didn’t think she’d like it.

nic I can totally understand why you feel worried and as a parent we always feel like we might not be handling things correctly! But from what you and others say he does sound like a nice boy, like you say it is probably because he doesn’t know how to handle his feelings. I think taking his games away from him for a while is a good idea.

MoneyMission if someone can’t or doesn’t like to bake we do let them off and they can buy a shop bought one – as long as there’s cake! Yes the packing helped immensely, the few boxes I did pack would keep getting unpacked by Wiggle!

Peppa we packed up some of our personal stuff that we didn't want them to see/handle and moved that ourselves, as for everything else yes you pretty much leave it as it is and they come in and pack the whole house up! Two men came to our house and packed it up in a day. It was really strange because the moving date was looming and the house was still the same so it didn’t feel like we were going anywhere! I kept having panics that we hadn’t done any packing and then remembered people were coming to do it! They pack you one day and then move you the next. They leave you with what you need overnight and come back for the rest in the morning. Bless your DGD, I love the things little ones say!

DomRavioli wow that's a lot of people! Sorry you can’t find what’s wrong but as long as you are feeling better then that’s all that matters.

newthrift glad to hear you had a good holiday, a lodge in Yorkshire sounds lovely! Yay for your new Christmas tree, it sounds great and what a bargain!

freespirit oh no that’s rubbish about your washing machine, how frustrating, especially that you now have to pay out! I hope you can get it sorted. How is the wedding planner course going? It sounds really interesting.

murie yes we are bursting with excitement here, especially after seeing the house again yesterday. The only problem is I want it how I want it NOW, but then realise I can’t do it all at once! Not to mention costing a fortune!
    Planning Christmas 2016!

Mummy to a beautiful son born 05.08.2014
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 12th Oct 16, 7:34 AM
    • 868 Posts
    • 11,612 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Just lost a long post I went to Photobucket and refreshed the page so when I came back here it had gone. Oh well start again.

GTQ/DOMRAVIOLI I've got a small kitchen too, it's all Cath Kidston/ modern vintage and I love looking at it as I walk through to get to the garden or my craft stuff n the utility room

FREE hope the washing machine issue turns out to be a quick (and cheap) fix.

NEWTHRIFT glad you had a fab holiday and well done on the new tree, it sounds like a real bargain. I bought our tree a few years ago at Tesco, it was on offer for about £20 and is lovely and bushy although you do have to slot all the individual branches on every year but I enjoy that. I would like a talker one really but unless I find a bargain like you I'll stick with the 6ft one we've got. It's not really 6ft because the top foot is really that long bit they put on the top.

Hi DOLLY ROCKER, nice to see you! You have to stay around now, it's the law lol.

Chemo went well, thank you, 10 down 2 to go. My next one is now going to be on my birthday but at my age it doesn't really matter and it means I don't have to have it in half term week when DGD is here so i'm very happy.

A bit miffed that I have to return a top I bought for one of the littlies to Asda because it's only age 2-3 despite saying 4-5 on the hanger. I'm cross with myself because I know the hangers are often wrong in George and I checked all the things I bought ......except that one! On the plus side I got one item at sale price even though it shouldn't have been in the sale and a pair of Minnie Mouse leggings picked at £5.50 appear to have gone through the till at £2.50 so happy about that.

I've had a good week and have finished decorated letters for two of the littlies. This is the one for honorary DGD.......

The big news though is that I've just had inspiration for the STOCKING CHALLENGE! Well about an hour ago so there was a reason why I've been awake since 4.30 this morning! Just need to get on with it now! Plus I've watched Moonlight and Mistletoe on True Christmas this morning so feeling very festive.

I hope I've remembered what was in my lost post but apologies if I've missed anybody.
    It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas .....
    Challenges for 2016
    1.Get through my treatment;
    2.Be positive and find something good that's happened every day;
    3.Get out into the open air as much as possible;
    4. Buy a caravan!
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 12th Oct 16, 8:29 AM
    • 14,867 Posts
    • 189,855 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Morning all
    Hope everyone's as well as they can be
    Peppa glad chemo went well
    Got my elf door yesterday, can't wait to give it to dd2 for DGS

Being at all day do I'll catch up later.
    grocery challenge November budget £400 spent £231.76
    SPC~10 No100 : : X2
    read your books challenge-currently on It started with a kiss
    xstitch challenge 63 'mittens' lyric cushion
    16 in 2016 challenge 12/16 stockings
    2016 wooligan stuff - 86 assorted hats, 9,beadbags 10,hedgehogs
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 12th Oct 16, 8:57 AM
    • 2,657 Posts
    • 7,060 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Well if it's the law, okay then you are stuck with me!

I bought a new Christmas tree this month too, cannot wait to put it up.

I loveeeeeeeeee Christmas!!!!!!

Dxxx
    Debt Free by Xmas 2017 6,186.67/14,523.76
    Saving for Xmas 2017 0/365
    Goal Weight by August 2017 27lbs/84lbs
    Mortgage Savings 2020 0/25,000
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 12th Oct 16, 10:04 AM
    • 3,156 Posts
    • 13,413 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Just rushing in quickly, M&S have a sale on at moment, just bought about £80 worth for £21, bought summer jim jams &b t-shirts for littlies for next summer.

Rushing out now

• Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 12th Oct 16, 10:13 AM
    • 2,657 Posts
    • 7,060 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Excellent!

Dxxx
    • sammy_kaye18
    • By sammy_kaye18 12th Oct 16, 10:43 AM
    • 2,961 Posts
    • 17,973 Thanks
    sammy_kaye18
    Morning all

Wow it feels like I havent been on here in ages.

Well first things first - I heard from the doctor on Monday and my son has been given the all clear. Hes still finishing off antibiotics for the suspected chest infection but his bloods and xrays all came back fine. He is still being referred to the paediatrician but I think this is more to do with his weight - at 12 years old he is still only about 5st something - which is the lower end of where he should be for your average teenager but he rarely eats meat and doesn't like eggs so getting protein into him is a real struggle so Im going to go and ask in a health food shop today if there is a protein rich shake he can have.

I have sold two dresses on ebay - not for anywhere near what they are worth but they have been hanging around my house for years and I have never worn them - they still have tags on - so I have sold those and have found out a few more bits to sell as well. I have also tied out my sons room so I have now done a full house declutter and it does look much better. Its just getting it to stay clean and tidy!

Also on the christmas front I have brought my mother in law the mulled wine candle from Home Bargains - they did have winter spice, gingerbread and something else but I preferred the colour purple as I know its MIL favourite colour! Also found some Tshirt pens for the kids so I think I will get them to design themselves something later or make some gifts during our winter family advent :-)

I am also clearing out and washing old clothes to make some dolls clothes from for Hollys new Design A Friend Dolls that arrived yesterday from Ebay. They are twins so I will be making them some mirror image bits and pieces.

I also went apple picking on Thursday that ben had his tests. We came home with about 3 carrier bags full of eating apples so today I will finish peeling, chopping them up and putting them in zip lock bags to freeze for puddings and the like nearer to christmas. Im also going out on Friday Pear, Damson and Nut foraging with friends so I will be making some more bits and pieces then as well. Only wish Id done it sooner so I could of made cider as gifts for Xmas

Hubby has been working away a fair bit saving money for Xmas and for our going away in November and December off to the motorbike show in November which is our must do trip each year as we both love bikes, and then December is our yearly Xmas shopping trip to Hereford - we love it there and have been every year we have been together :-)

Halloween the kids have decided they dont want to go out with all this clown stuff going on. Owen may well be away the weekend so we are going to sit in and watch The Walking Dead......Mummy has a thing for Daryl and the kids seem to like it! Odd children.

Peppa - Im glad your chemo went well....

Murie - thank you for the kind thoughts

Feisty - losing posts is so annoying

Newthrift - well done on the tree. Im considering a black tree this year to match the living room but cant get past the 'trees should be green' arguement in my head.

Welcome Dolly Rocker - love the name!

Dom - Im another one with a small freezer - it drives me mad - especially with three kids and hubby who seem to have hollow legs. Might be my next investment!

Free - hope yoru washign machine is being more electrics friendly now

Will ask again - ANY NEWS ON A CHRISTMAS CARD EXCHANGE YET??????

I hope so :-)

Right - off to the post office and then protein shake hunting, then home to chop and peel apples whilst watching Daryl
    Back working and happy in my job
    ....Working on becoming Me ....
    • MoneyMission2015
    • By MoneyMission2015 12th Oct 16, 10:51 AM
    • 621 Posts
    • 3,070 Thanks
    MoneyMission2015
    Evening everyone, i have had a right day of it, the washing machine keeps tripping the electrics for some reason, we have checked the fuse in the socket but it doesnt seem to be that so now at a loss and will have to get someone out, which i cant afford atm, grrrr!!! I havent done much today just a bit on my wedding planner course and reading the Boots christmas book, there doesnt seem to be as much in it as previous years i thought, i still circled a few things though!!

PEPPAPIG i hope the chemo went well today my lovely x
    Originally posted by freespirit66

I thought the same about the Boots catalogue Free. I picked one up yesterday and only circled a few things. I remember last year I bought loads from there in the 3 for 2 offer, but I've even had a look online and there's not really much at all. Strange because the Boots 3 for 2 is usually really good and I know loads of people who look forward to it every year & spend quite a lot of money in there.

That's a bummer about the washing machine. I hope it's not anything that's going to cost too much money.

Dom - fingers crossed you get lots of help then with the Christmas dinner. We luckily now have a good sized kitchen because we knocked a wall down a few years ago but my dad has always had a small kitchen & despite complaining about it constantly, they have just never done anything about it. I don't think they ever will now anyway because I get the feeling they will downsize in a few years so no point in spending all that money on something they'll only enjoy for a short time. What mean gifts your MIL has bought you in the past! You should have kept them & wrapped them back up for her this year

Princesskitty - that's fab about the extra top and it's not at all cheap to gift it to a friend. You could look at it the other way in that you paid for the top that you are giving your friend and the top you are keeping is the free one, if it makes you feel better . Fab news about the house, I bet you're so excited.

Glad chemo went well Peppa. That's a really cute letter, very pretty. I might get my daughter to do something like that, she loves doing arts and crafts and we have loads of buttons and other embellishments that she could use. Where did you get the big letters from?

newthrift - I know what you mean, we have not long come back from our holiday and have already booked for next year

Hi Feisty, hope you manage to get on here soon after losing your post.

I hope everybody is having a good day. I'm enjoying catching up with everybody & reading about the gifts and ideas you all have for Christmas.

xx
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 12th Oct 16, 11:54 AM
    • 2,657 Posts
    • 7,060 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Hey sammy-kaye18 - wow you have been busy! Sorry to hear your Son has been ill, hope he is well on the mend now.

I have stuff in the house I could likely sell on ebay but just need to find the time to dig it out & list it.

Will need to keep an eye out in Home Bargains for the candles, I love a Christmas candle. Did pick up some of the cinnamon & spiced apple ones but you can never have too many.

Love the sound of the motorbike show, DH wants to get his licence so is currently saving up for it. Might try & take him to one of the shows he would love that!

We are going Christmas shopping in Chester then off to stay over in Manchester for the Christmas markets in December - cannot wait!!

Also another one who can't wait for The Walking Dead, think I am in love with Daryl Dixon

Dxxx
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 12th Oct 16, 11:59 AM
    • 2,657 Posts
    • 7,060 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Peppapig - Love the sound of a Kath Kidston/vintage kitchen, ours is quite boring at the minute but we are renting so not going to bother making any changes.

That's a shame about chemo on your birthday but like you say you will be able to spend half term with DGD which will be lovely.

Good bargains in Asda, I love a wee rumage through there when they have a sale on.

I am all up to date with the kid's Christmas gifts so the challenge will be to stop buying!

Oh I love the sounds of a stocking challenge!

Dxxx
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 12th Oct 16, 12:01 PM
    • 2,657 Posts
    • 7,060 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    princesskitty29 - Eeeeek how exciting! We are in the process of paying off the debt to save so we can buy our own place. You will be settled in no time.

Bonus on the free top, not sure I would have bothered to contact them!

Dxxx
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 12th Oct 16, 12:04 PM
    • 2,657 Posts
    • 7,060 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    freespirit66 - Gosh darn it with the washing machine. Hope you get it sorted & it doesn't cost too much.

I would love to be a wedding planner, did you get the course online with one of those deals? I see them all the time on groupon sites but haven't bothered to purchase.

I had a wee look at the Christmas book for Boots last week, wasn't too impressed. Hope they still have a good range in the stores, I love a wee 3 for 2 deals & usually always get some of my gifts from there.

Dxxx
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 12th Oct 16, 12:06 PM
    • 2,657 Posts
    • 7,060 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    newthrift - Glad you enjoyed your holibobs. I had DHs lego delivered to work today & they gave me a row at reception! No more deliveries to be had there - I had such good plans to just get all my online stuff delivered to work rather than having to go collect it all on my days off but hey ho!

What a bargain on your new tree, that is amazing! I bought a new tree from Christmas Tree World & it is just sooooooooo pretty, cannot wait to decorate.

Dxxx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

275Posts Today

1,339Users online

Martin's Twitter