Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Surfchik80
    • By Surfchik80 23rd Dec 15, 1:12 PM
    • 473Posts
    • 2,659Thanks
    Surfchik80
    Prolific Academic - New Survey Alerts
    • 23rd Dec 15, 1:12 PM
    Prolific Academic - New Survey Alerts 23rd Dec 15 at 1:12 PM
    Hi all, this is a thread dedicated to alerting everyone to new surveys appearing on the Prolific Academic site.

It's an interesting and well paid survey site, which also means they're popular and become fully subscribed very quickly!

I love the site, but find their own survey notifications a wee bit hit and miss and most of us don't have time to repeatedly check the site during the day on the off chance of finding available surveys. We won't all be eligible for the same surveys, but a quick 'heads up' when we do see one may make checking for surveys just a little bit more profitable and worthwhile for each other.

No rules, just subscribe and post when you see them to spread the joy!

Additionally, if you're planning on signing up to the site, please be sure to pop over to the referral thread to use someone else's link, before posting your own.
    Last edited by Surfchik80; 23-12-2015 at 1:16 PM.
    £10 a day 2017 - APR £60.12 / MAR £82.24 / FEB £142.82 / JAN £241.24
Page 176
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 19th Jun 17, 4:00 PM
    • 3,388 Posts
    • 13,097 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    I missed the £16.50 one sad to say I don't have Facebook

DFW £523.71/£7348.71
    Rent Arrears £271.28/£3381.28

June 17 PA £91.05 + £70 Cash + £25 Amazon
    • Mrs Soup
    • By Mrs Soup 19th Jun 17, 4:38 PM
    • 624 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    Mrs Soup
    I missed the £16.50 one sad to say I don't have Facebook
    Originally posted by Hiddenidenity
    You also had to have two other people complete a personality quiz about you . Now although my husband knows about my prolific addiction I don't think there is anyone else I could have asked to do it.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 19th Jun 17, 4:49 PM
    • 2,579 Posts
    • 4,189 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Don't really want to prolong the agony of all this but I've just looked at my settings in Circle and see that you can change the amount below which they won't send you codes. Mine is set at £30 which is probably why I haven't been asked to enter codes. Might be worth checking your settings Smodlet and changing them to a higher amount. I always cash out at around £20 so never trigger the authorisation codes.

EJ
    Originally posted by elljay

That would never have occurred to me in a million years, elljay, thank you! Though I am still not sure I cba to bother with it again and will certainly not leave it until the balance is as high as it was. I probably should have thought of that but am not of the internet generation and will never learn to "think like a computer". Cheers!
    What is this life, if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?

Every stew starts with the first onion.

I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • elljay
    • By elljay 19th Jun 17, 5:00 PM
    • 760 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    elljay
    Aaah thank you Smodlet. Hopefully we're friends again!!

It's gone really quiet this afternoon, is it the same for everyone? The few surveys mentioned here, apart from the chat room one, haven't shown on mine though I did have a really interesting one about evaluating a cancer website. I took ages to do it as I felt it was important to put a lot of thought and care into it. I do love PA studies, they're often so interesting and you really feel you're contributing to something, rather than just improving some rubbish product that nobody should want to buy anyway.

And ps, what's the 'internet generation'?

EJ
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 19th Jun 17, 5:12 PM
    • 2,579 Posts
    • 4,189 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Aaah thank you Smodlet. Hopefully we're friends again!!

I would not fall out over something so trivial, it is not your fault I am hopeless with internetty stuff!

It's gone really quiet this afternoon, is it the same for everyone? The few surveys mentioned here, apart from the chat room one, haven't shown on mine though I did have a really interesting one about evaluating a cancer website. I took ages to do it as I felt it was important to put a lot of thought and care into it. I do love PA studies, they're often so interesting and you really feel you're contributing to something, rather than just improving some rubbish product that nobody should want to buy anyway.

You guys always seem to get more surveys than me...

And ps, what's the 'internet generation'?

EJ
    Originally posted by elljay

Those who grew up with computers and the internet. The second wave is those older who have been assimilated... Of course, I mean have become as computer literate as you young ones. I am a dinosaur without a clue, I admit it and all this technology scares me, especially when I think my hard-earned money is going to disappear into some dimension I cannot access because I am not savvy enough.

It is too hot for me, I should probably have waited for a cooler day to brave the dreaded Circle but have been putting it off for so long, I thought it was time to get some dough.

Thanks to all for your support and advice, it is appreciated.

I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • GreyAndGold
    • By GreyAndGold 19th Jun 17, 6:56 PM
    • 482 Posts
    • 1,219 Thanks
    GreyAndGold
    Those of you doing the one second everyday study who use android, there is a message from the researcher requesting that we return the first study as the total payment included the amount for the app purchase that turned out to be free. They will then pay the £5 that was the portion of the payment that was for completing the study.
    • Wizzbang
    • By Wizzbang 19th Jun 17, 7:12 PM
    • 4,111 Posts
    • 8,588 Thanks
    Wizzbang
    Those who grew up with computers and the internet. The second wave is those older who have been assimilated... Of course, I mean have become as computer literate as you young ones. I am a dinosaur without a clue, I admit it and all this technology scares me, especially when I think my hard-earned money is going to disappear into some dimension I cannot access because I am not savvy enough.

It is too hot for me, I should probably have waited for a cooler day to brave the dreaded Circle but have been putting it off for so long, I thought it was time to get some dough.

Originally posted by Smodlet
    Have you considered doing a course at your local Adult Ed? My Mum did a European Computer Driving Licence with a school friend (aged about 55) and they knew more than me by the end of it! (I picked up much of my computer knowledge by trial and error, as they came in after I had finished school). However, when I went back to Uni as a mature student, it was a requirement that you had to study some computer related modules, so I picked up some more concrete knowledge there. Your local library will be a mine of information in the form of books, and they also offer training - either from library assistants or volunteers. In addition, I often see ads from Barclays Digital Eagles - that's another route to gaining the knowledge you require. There are probably lots of other options too, there really is no excuse these days for computer illiteracy.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £33,144.71
    (Not inc coupons, yellow stickies, bank interest or loyalty rewards because I have better things to do than catalogue everything!) Swagbucks £2,100
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 19th Jun 17, 7:43 PM
    • 3,388 Posts
    • 13,097 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Those of you doing the one second everyday study who use android, there is a message from the researcher requesting that we return the first study as the total payment included the amount for the app purchase that turned out to be free. They will then pay the £5 that was the portion of the payment that was for completing the study.
    Originally posted by GreyAndGold
    I have returned mine, they haven't paid yet though, I hope it still works out

DFW £523.71/£7348.71

• GreyAndGold
    • By GreyAndGold 19th Jun 17, 7:49 PM
    • 482 Posts
    • 1,219 Thanks
    GreyAndGold
    I have returned mine, they haven't paid yet though, I hope it still works out
    Originally posted by Hiddenidenity
    Not paid mine yet either.
    • mikep22
    • By mikep22 19th Jun 17, 7:57 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    mikep22
    Not paid mine yet either.
    Originally posted by GreyAndGold
    not sure how they can pay us if it has been returned? Guess we'll see!
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606
    • mikep22
    • By mikep22 19th Jun 17, 8:03 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    mikep22

This is all in the mind though. There's no reason why people should be any better or worse at using computers due to age. Forget about how "old" you are and think about how you can achieve the things you want to. There was a time when every one of us knew nothing about computers, when that was, is completely irrelevant.
    Theres nothing to be scared of and so many opportunities. But I do concur at the other poster with their suggestion about a course.
    But just continuing to use computers and the web will make you better at it, bit by bit. And rid yourself of negative thoughts!
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606
    • GreyAndGold
    • By GreyAndGold 19th Jun 17, 8:03 PM
    • 482 Posts
    • 1,219 Thanks
    GreyAndGold
    not sure how they can pay us if it has been returned? Guess we'll see!
    Originally posted by mikep22
    They can still make a payment to you and still have the data submitted, doing it that way just means that it wont adversely affect our prolific scores (which could result in you being excluded from studies if a researcher only want participants with a perfect record) which could be the case if they reject it from their end.
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 19th Jun 17, 8:26 PM
    • 3,388 Posts
    • 13,097 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Reply from them I asked if it would mean we would lose our place and what would happen regarding payments and when

Hi there,

Thanks for cooperation.

There is a bug in the Prolific system. We're contacting with the Prolific team right now. We'll make the payment as soon as possible.

Sorry for the delay.

DFW £523.71/£7348.71

• Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 19th Jun 17, 9:54 PM
    • 2,579 Posts
    • 4,189 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Available Places : 42/50
    Avg. Completion Time : 60mins
    Avg. Reward Per Hour : £6.00/hr
    Maximum Allowed Time : 180mins
    Reward: £ 6.00

• Mrs Soup
    • By Mrs Soup 19th Jun 17, 10:47 PM
    • 624 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    Mrs Soup
    I just did this one- took only 45 mins though- hope that isn't too fast. They always say there is no danger to participants- no one yet has mentioned risk of repetitive strain injury which I think is a real possibility in some of these longer ones! It sais on this one that some people may be asked to do a further study that would be longer yet somewhere else it said it would pay only 1.50 which would be a lot shorter.
    • lj876
    • By lj876 19th Jun 17, 10:50 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    lj876
    Did this one - I found it was a real pain with the repetitive clicking. Thought it was interesting all the same...
    • Lucyxx
    • By Lucyxx 19th Jun 17, 10:51 PM
    • 3,068 Posts
    • 6,686 Thanks
    Lucyxx
    I just did that one too! Now I'm wondering if I made an error on the last question about family members with mental health issues where you could list everyone. I just clicked and left it blank (as had no one I knew with any) and then completed, but now I'm wondering if there was an option to say they had no known problems or if I did the right thing leaving it totally blank. Does anyone know?
    My "thanks" button doesn't always work (probably my way out of date ipads fault!) So thank you in advance if it looks like I haven't pressed yours. I've most likely tried to!
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 19th Jun 17, 10:54 PM
    • 2,579 Posts
    • 4,189 Thanks
    Smodlet
    I just did that one too! Now I'm wondering if I made an error on the last question about family members with mental health issues where you could list everyone. I just clicked and left it blank (as had no one I knew with any) and then completed, but now I'm wondering if there was an option to say they had no known problems or if I did the right thing leaving it totally blank. Does anyone know?
    Originally posted by Lucyxx

No, hun but if you message the researcher and make this clear, I personally can see no issue with your submission; that is what I would do. HTH.

• MLE007
    • By MLE007 19th Jun 17, 11:04 PM
    • 522 Posts
    • 1,337 Thanks
    MLE007
    I just did this one- took only 45 mins though- hope that isn't too fast. They always say there is no danger to participants- no one yet has mentioned risk of repetitive strain injury which I think is a real possibility in some of these longer ones! It sais on this one that some people may be asked to do a further study that would be longer yet somewhere else it said it would pay only 1.50 which would be a lot shorter.
    Originally posted by Mrs Soup
    The average time was 41 mins so you should be OK. Took me a hour though , now all I can see is eyes, need to go to bed now I think!
    SPC #015

2017 in 2017 £2218.00
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 19th Jun 17, 11:20 PM
    • 2,579 Posts
    • 4,189 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Took me an hour, all but three minutes; didn't it go on? Still, £6.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,413Posts Today

8,099Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A year of fighting to break the link between mental illness and money problems... https://t.co/LXgjxdv36O

• Today's twitter poll: Is Conservative pact with DUP necessary for stable govt during the crucial Brexit time, or should it've stayed alone?

• RT @thisismoney: First cash machine was used 50 years ago today: 50 facts you never knew about ATMs https://t.co/nh5kqb5Ml5

• Follow Martin