Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FloppyDisk
    • By FloppyDisk 21st Dec 15, 3:35 PM
    • 572Posts
    • 4,005Thanks
    FloppyDisk
    From Flat to Farmhouse
    • 21st Dec 15, 3:35 PM
    From Flat to Farmhouse 21st Dec 15 at 3:35 PM
    Hello everyone, I am hoping some of you might recognise my name and no, my mission hasn’t changed, I still have lofty ambitions of upgrading from my flat to something a little more spacious.

So where were we? Oh yes, paying £400 a month in interest on my mortgage! I need to start 2016 with a renewed vigour towards my financial management. Whilst this won’t be wholey directed at the mortgage, I have found the community of MFWers so helpful in getting the balance right. Despite having the all-important spreadsheet, I have gotten a bit lost with my finances with the poor interest rates and having to use current accounts for savings, so I need to do a proper audit.

As old friends will know, I have the slight disadvantage of being owned by an event horse who insists on having the best of everything. I am also severely hampered by my inability to cook and tend to fritter money away buying lunches.

It is lovely to be back and focused on security, I have missed you all!
    Last edited by FloppyDisk; 02-01-2018 at 1:07 PM.
Page 10
    • FloppyDisk
    • By FloppyDisk 11th Jan 18, 6:36 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 4,005 Thanks
    FloppyDisk
    It is a wonder how I ever managed to overpay the flat mortage with my wish list!

Oh crumbs no the 25k needs to cover a towing truck too. I'm thinking more like 7-8k max for a horse. I'd just like a fairly well established Irish thing that will look after me!

£18,438/£42,500
    • hiddenshadow
    • By hiddenshadow 12th Jan 18, 4:50 PM
    • 2,396 Posts
    • 10,887 Thanks
    hiddenshadow
    Sounds reasonable. I think I spent about $14k on my towing truck/trailer in the US (a year before I moved here - silly of me!).

I want to go to some of the horsey auctions here in Ireland, just to watch. Though I've heard of people getting very nice 3-4yos for < €5k at auction, so there's also that option...though I'm liking the idea of a schoolmaster more and more these days!
    MFW: £197,100 (2013) to £103,848 (Jan '18)
    2018 MFW #56: £798/£105,000 0% / MFiT-T4 #15: £55,652/£90,000 61%
    • FloppyDisk
    • By FloppyDisk 18th Jan 18, 4:48 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 4,005 Thanks
    FloppyDisk
    I would like a youngster one day but my friends always tell me that I don't need something 'very nice', but just something I can have fun on, which I guess is true!

For now I am putting it all on the back burner and focused on the new house. I just wish the vendors were focused on their new house too - still no sign of a chain but I have been as clear as I can about our intended timescales. Another house has come on the market that would certainly 'do' but it isn't quite in my dream location like the current one is.

Lorry has gone and money has come in so that's my emergency fund and contribution to the kitchen fund sorted (although I feel like that might scale up to cover furniture and allsorts) and some change for the horse.

£18,438/£42,500
    • hiddenshadow
    • By hiddenshadow 19th Jan 18, 4:01 PM
    • 2,396 Posts
    • 10,887 Thanks
    hiddenshadow
    Yes, I'm quite happy with the concept of reliable and unremarkable vs flashy. That said, I do like the idea of bringing something up myself...though I may not have the skills to do that, if I'm honest.

Congrats on getting the lorry sold, hope the house vendors perk up soon.
    MFW: £197,100 (2013) to £103,848 (Jan '18)
    2018 MFW #56: £798/£105,000 0% / MFiT-T4 #15: £55,652/£90,000 61%
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,452Posts Today

8,312Users online

Martin's Twitter