Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Fraser
    • By MSE Fraser 21st Dec 15, 1:19 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 4Thanks
    MSE Fraser
    Bulb Reviews: Give your feedback on the energy supplier
    • 21st Dec 15, 1:19 PM
    Bulb Reviews: Give your feedback on the energy supplier 21st Dec 15 at 1:19 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Bulb

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did you switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Please don't post Bulb referral links here. Referral links can be posted on the dedicated Referrers Board. Thanks!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 07-09-2017 at 5:01 PM.
Page 5
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 29th Aug 17, 4:04 PM
    • 4,202 Posts
    • 2,448 Thanks
    Hengus
    i figured the switch could take 17 days worst case, which leaves only a few days that I've cut short the collective and didn't want to risk 'slipping' onto BGs standard tariff
    Originally posted by Chin
    You would not have slipped on to the BG standard tariff. It doesn't work like that. Provided that BG was informed by the new supplier that a transfer was in progress no later than 20 days AFTER the end of your fixed tariff (contract end date plus 20 days), then you would have had tariff price protection until such time as your transfer went through.
    • Chin
    • By Chin 29th Aug 17, 4:16 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Chin
    thanks for that!

switch has been aborted (courtesy of their online chat).
    very good service i must say.

that was a close call ... i'll do it once my existing tariff ends then!

the chap on the web chat just told me that i need to let them know 21 days before my tariff ends...but your saying Hengus i have a bit more time than that??
    Last edited by Chin; 29-08-2017 at 4:24 PM.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 29th Aug 17, 4:37 PM
    • 4,202 Posts
    • 2,448 Thanks
    Hengus
    thanks for that!

switch has been aborted (courtesy of their online chat).
    very good service i must say.

that was a close call ... i'll do it once my existing tariff ends then!

the chap on the web chat just told me that i need to let them know 21 days before my tariff ends...but your saying Hengus i have a bit more time than that??
    Originally posted by Chin
    Be warned. If your new supplier notifies your old supplier after the contract end date, then you will switch to the SVT. Suppliers do not have a crystal ball. However, they are required to switch you back to your old tariff if notified in the required the period. The Standard Licence Condition that applies reads as follows:

Standard Licence Condition 22D.12

22D.12 Where paragraph 22D.13 applies, the licensee must ensure that a Domestic Customer will continue to be subject to the same Charges for the Supply of Gas and the same terms and conditions that applied to the Dead Tariff until they have changed their supplier.

22D.13 This paragraph applies where one of the following conditions is satisfied:

(a) no later than 20 Working Days after (but not including) the date on which the Dead Tariff is due to terminate or be changed in order for the Domestic Customer to become subject to the licensee’s Relevant Cheapest Evergreen Tariff, the licensee receives Notice under the Network Code by way of the Relevant Gas Shipper that another Gas Supplier will begin to supply the Domestic Customer’s Domestic Premises within a reasonable period of time; and

(b) another Gas Supplier begins to supply the Domestic Customer’s Domestic Premises within a reasonable period of time after the date on which the Notice referred to in sub-paragraph 22D.13(a) is given;
    • Misshooz
    • By Misshooz 30th Aug 17, 11:46 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Misshooz
    I'm looking to swap energy providers before BG hit me with a massive bill and bulb come out on top for me. Reading reviews they seem most favourable and then reading that one customer received hotel chocolat chocs as a welcome gift swings it their way! I'm easily bought but I'm willing to give the newbies a shot against the big guns.
    • Tim_Fox
    • By Tim_Fox 31st Aug 17, 7:57 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tim_Fox
    Hi Hengus,

Does the 20 days also apply for electricity switching (only) or is it just gas? We don't have gas.

Many thanks.
    • paulb2008
    • By paulb2008 4th Sep 17, 9:03 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    paulb2008
    Question
    Hi - I'm thinking of moving to Bulb and have a couple of questions. Does anyone have any experience of charges by Bulb for moving a meter? We're having some building work done soon, and at least one of the meters will need to be moved - I've heard stories of large/hugely variable changes being made by energy companies for this, and wondered what Bulb's approach was?

The second one is whether Bulb do smart meters - we're in the NW, and not many companies seem to be rolling them out in a hurry. I'd quite like one, and wasn't sure what Bulb's plan was here.

Thanks in anticipation - any help appreciated.
    • ruth56
    • By ruth56 4th Sep 17, 11:13 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    ruth56
    Bulb are rolling out smart meters from 2018. Sorry cannot answer first question. Have you tried the bulb community forum? May get an accurate answer there.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 6th Sep 17, 12:39 PM
    • 686 Posts
    • 555 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    @jagged pixel
    Please edit your post as it is against MSE Forum rules to post referral links in this forum. You are just spamming the forum.
    It clearly says not to post referrals in the opening post by the MSE staff.
    • Garf
    • By Garf 6th Sep 17, 4:06 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Garf
    Thanks for all the Feedback on here. I have just started my switch to Bulb from British Gas (MSE Collective October 2017)
    "Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity"
    • PeakOwl
    • By PeakOwl 8th Sep 17, 9:55 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    PeakOwl
    I switched from British Gas to Bulb earlier this week and it went perfectly. However, this morning the new 'improved' sign-in is not working. The 'email me a link' button is completely unresponsive. Internet connection is fine and tried to get a link on 2 different devices without success...

Anyone else got the problem?
    • bobstheboy
    • By bobstheboy 8th Sep 17, 10:26 AM
    • 578 Posts
    • 736 Thanks
    bobstheboy
    I switched from British Gas to Bulb earlier this week and it went perfectly. However, this morning the new 'improved' sign-in is not working. The 'email me a link' button is completely unresponsive. Internet connection is fine and tried to get a link on 2 different devices without success...

Originally posted by PeakOwl
    Just worked for me.
    • zexpe
    • By zexpe 9th Sep 17, 10:38 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    zexpe
    I hate switching, no end to the additional stresses of life.

Just filled out the form to switch my gas & electricity to bulb, received my welcome pack and... the welcome pack says "electricity only" yet they will bill me the cost of gas + electricity per month. Typical, the switch has already gone wrong and it's barely even started!
    • zexpe
    • By zexpe 11th Sep 17, 1:12 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    zexpe
    Bulb got in touch first thing on Monday morning and have resolved the problem, sending me a new welcome pack including my gas supply. Hopefully this is a sign of good things to come...
    • SpanishBlue
    • By SpanishBlue 12th Sep 17, 12:37 AM
    • 160 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    SpanishBlue

Originally posted by PeakOwl
    I hit the button a couple of times wondering why nothing was happening until I noticed just above the button I had to put my email address in! Doh!!!
    • iheadford
    • By iheadford 12th Sep 17, 3:37 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    iheadford
    After much research, comparison and reading of reviews (thank you) decided to switch to Bulb from BG. Have been a BG customer for around 11 years, never switched before.
    Got my figures a bit muddled to start with (missed a digit off!) whilst comparing but once figures correct Bulb came out a lot cheaper than BG.

The website is easy to use, let's hope there will be no issues in the run up to the switch over or afterwards!

Cheers
    • Hippy Steve
    • By Hippy Steve 15th Sep 17, 4:46 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Hippy Steve
    Animal welfare?
    I'm impressed that Bulb are making a real effort on biogas production BUT what about the animals that provide the slurry?
    The implication is that the slurry is collected from indoor pig / cattle / poultry units - i.e. where animals don't see the light of day or scratch around / roll in the mud, etc.

I asked the question on the website but the guy couldn't verify for me - told me he would pass on my comments.

Sorry guys, being green is about more than just not using fossil fuels, I can't support intensive farming units by buying gas that comes as a by-product from them..

Happy to sign up once I have confirmation that the slurry comes from animals that live nice lives but just have one bad day, so to speak...
  • Will at Bulb
    I'm impressed that Bulb are making a real effort on biogas production BUT what about the animals that provide the slurry?
    The implication is that the slurry is collected from indoor pig / cattle / poultry units - i.e. where animals don't see the light of day or scratch around / roll in the mud, etc.

I asked the question on the website but the guy couldn't verify for me - told me he would pass on my comments.

Sorry guys, being green is about more than just not using fossil fuels, I can't support intensive farming units by buying gas that comes as a by-product from them..

Happy to sign up once I have confirmation that the slurry comes from animals that live nice lives but just have one bad day, so to speak...
    Originally posted by Hippy Steve
    We're actually looking into the welfare of the animals on these farms at the moment as we know it's a big concern for a lot of people. We also have quite a high proportion of vegetarians and vegans working at Bulb who are interested too. I'm sure we'll write a blog and an FAQ article about it when we have the results.

I can tell you that every source of gas that involves animals passes all government requirements for animal welfare, and that we're also looking more closely into which renewable sources we actually support using. We fully appreciate that the definiton of "green" from OFGEM can be a little loose, so we're making sure we don't buy from questionable ones.
    Last edited by Will at Bulb; 15-09-2017 at 5:20 PM.
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Bulb. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

286Posts Today

3,566Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin